HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobrovsky next season

Old
03-15-2011, 12:34 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

vCash: 500
Bobrovsky next season

I'm sure it's been asked before, but I really would appreciate some insight.

Starter? Platoon? back-up? AHL? what's the consensus...

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:41 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I'd say starter....

why so much interest?

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:15 AM
DirkStarlight

I would think that if Boosh isn't resigned, and Holmgren not knowing what to do with Leighton, that whoever has the best camp / preseason would get to be in goal starting night.

It's really up to Bob to learn the flaws in his game and learn more of the English language. Once he does that, he'll be a solid goaltender.

DirkStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 06:43 AM
phillyflu

Bob is without a doubt starter. I have much more faith in the hockey guys running the organization than the fickle fans. The same fans who for years called for Potvin, Joseph, Hackett, Mason, Leclaire, Vokoun, etc.... by the way, none of those guys ever won a ****ing thing.

I have no doubt that this 22 year old kid, who by all accounts, is the hardest of hard workers. And wants nothing more than to prove that he is one of the best, competing against the best in the world, will do everything, everything, in his power to be the best.

He's starting to get it. He's starting to understand the north american game. Maybe I'm the only one, but I noticed a huge turning point for him the other night. When one of the Thrashers forwards came out from behind the net, he was down in the butterfly, hugging the ice like he always does, and in that moment, a light clicked on, he got upright just as the shot was taken. It was ticketed for the corner, blocker high. He made the save with his shoulder. That was the moment he started to get it.

No doubt this kid is our starter next year, and for years to come.

Edit: Also, I'm positive they will bring back Boucher, who's proven as he's gotten older and matured, that he is the perfect backup/team first guy. Leighton will either be released or in Adirondack.

Last edited by phillyflu: 03-15-2011 at 07:00 AM.
phillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post

Starter. But it's way too early to tell. Let's see how they do from here on out. If Bob struggles and the team continues to as well, we could end up losing in the first round, in which case, a few big changes could be coming and they might bring in one of the UFAs, Vokoun perhaps? Did Brzygalov re-up with the Coyotes, or will Toronto go after him?

Then again, Bob could catch fire again, win the Cup and be goalie for life and Mayor of Philadelphia. We'll have to see.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Cartsiephan*

Starter, no question, but still needs some refining. His positioning is not great, needs work on his glove, rebounds, and his puck control. Would love to see him freeze the puck more, sometimes this team works better when under control, slow the game down.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:55 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkStarlight View Post
I would think that if Boosh isn't resigned, and Holmgren not knowing what to do with Leighton, that whoever has the best camp / preseason would get to be in goal starting night.

It's really up to Bob to learn the flaws in his game and learn more of the English language. Once he does that, he'll be a solid goaltender.
Disagree. It's up to Reese to recognize what Bobrovsky's flaws are (IMO too much movement and he needs to simplify his approach) and then work on them with him. It's then up to Bobrovsky to take Reese's instruction or not.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:03 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
he wont be in the AHL, thats for sure.

Starter or Platoon

Bob needs to learn how to play through traffic

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:07 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Disagree. It's up to Reese to recognize what Bobrovsky's flaws are (IMO too much movement and he needs to simplify his approach) and then work on them with him. It's then up to Bobrovsky to take Reese's instruction or not.
Yes and no.

It's really up to the athlete to understand what he's doing wrong, at the end of the day.

Especially with goaltending, where a lot of it has to do with personal style and what is effective for any given goalie. Reese might see something he doesn't like, but it's ultimately Bob's job to understand what he's doing wrong because that's the only way he'll understand why it needs to change.

Coaches are there to help, but athletes have to be driven and work to better themselves regardless of their coach. It has way more to do with Bobrovsky than with Reese.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:23 AM
CantSeeColors

As always, Lavi is going to run with the hot hand. I think that's going to be Bob more often than not, but I still wouldn't expect him to start more than ~50 games.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:26 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Yes and no.

It's really up to the athlete to understand what he's doing wrong, at the end of the day.

Especially with goaltending, where a lot of it has to do with personal style and what is effective for any given goalie. Reese might see something he doesn't like, but it's ultimately Bob's job to understand what he's doing wrong because that's the only way he'll understand why it needs to change.

Coaches are there to help, but athletes have to be driven and work to better themselves regardless of their coach. It has way more to do with Bobrovsky than with Reese.
We will agree to disagree then.

Bobrovsky may very well think that his "style" is fine and that he doesn't need to make changes. It's up to Reese to show Bobrovsky what, as the coach, he feels what Bobrovsky needs to do to take his game to the next level. Whether Bobrvosky wants to take this advice is then up to him.

IMO coaches are not there to "help", but to teach.

Old
03-15-2011, 10:46 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
We will agree to disagree then.

Bobrovsky may very well think that his "style" is fine and that he doesn't need to make changes. It's up to Reese to show Bobrovsky what, as the coach, he feels what Bobrovsky needs to do to take his game to the next level. Whether Bobrvosky wants to take this advice is then up to him.

IMO coaches are not there to "help", but to teach.
I don't think Bobrovsky is going to walk around assuming there's nothing wrong with his game. He's had to teach himself the whole way, so it's always been part of him to examine his game and figure out how to improve it.

Coaches help by teaching, but especially when it comes to goalie coaching - at a high level - it's about tweaking and modifying, and less about making big, sweeping changes.

Players don't get to the NHL without being motivated to better themselves and their game...and if they do get there without that trait - especially as a goaltender - they'll wash out fairly quickly.

Does a great coach make a difference? Yes. But it's on the player to know that their game can be improved and figure out what they can do. The coach can be their guide, but without wanting to change and improve the best coach won't matter.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:53 AM
mirimon

I think it will be pretty much the same situation as this year. He'll be in a tandem with a veteran goalie on a fairly cheap contract (maybe Boosh will sign for another year, or some other guy is brought in) and he'll have roughly the same amount of starts as this season.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:04 AM
clockwise

Quote:

Ask me again in June.

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:31 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflu View Post
Bob is without a doubt starter. I have much more faith in the hockey guys running the organization than the fickle fans. The same fans who for years called for Potvin, Joseph, Hackett, Mason, Leclaire, Vokoun, etc.... by the way, none of those guys ever won a ****ing thing.

I have no doubt that this 22 year old kid, who by all accounts, is the hardest of hard workers. And wants nothing more than to prove that he is one of the best, competing against the best in the world, will do everything, everything, in his power to be the best.

He's starting to get it. He's starting to understand the north american game. Maybe I'm the only one, but I noticed a huge turning point for him the other night. When one of the Thrashers forwards came out from behind the net, he was down in the butterfly, hugging the ice like he always does, and in that moment, a light clicked on, he got upright just as the shot was taken. It was ticketed for the corner, blocker high. He made the save with his shoulder. That was the moment he started to get it.

Edit: Also, I'm positive they will bring back Boucher, who's proven as he's gotten older and matured, that he is the perfect backup/team first guy. Leighton will either be released or in Adirondack.
Neither have the Flyers without them, so I don't see your point. I think Bob's role next year depends on who the other goalie is. Most likely, the situation will be similar to this year and Bob will have every opportunity to take the starting job. I don't see him in the AHL.

But yes, there is doubt about whether or not he's our starter for years to come. He's a young goalie with holes in his game. Can he fix them and become a good starter? Absolutely. Will he? We'll have to wait and see. The save you pointed out against the Thrashers was noted by a few people in the game thread, but he then went on to give up 1, maybe 2 bad goals and help lose us the game. He's a work in progress but we don't know what he'll be as a finished product.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:38 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

Good point. The top corners are probably the most noticeable hole in Bob's game. He certainly has the reflexes and flexibility to be a top-notch goaltender. Rebound control, puck tracking and, to a lesser degree, puck handling with the stick also need to be sharpened.

I am far from anointing Bob as the #1 next year, and I'm not sure about reupping Boucher. For one, the team is committed to another year of Leighton, either in Philly or Adirondack, and Leighton will have to be part of the equation in training camp. Another is that (IMO) retaining Boucher signals an easy transition for Bob to #1, when he still needs to be pushed to earn it. There's still a lot of hockey to be played this season/playoffs, and Bob is showing that he can push beyond his previous limit, but his game has slowed since he started the season like gangbusters. That's probably a combination of the usual cooling off and opponents knowing him better.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 01:02 PM
pelts35.com

Unless Leighton really craps the bed in 2011 training camp or gets hurt most likely he will be the 2nd goalie for the Flyers next year. It is highly unlikely that the Flyers are going to pay Leighton $1.5 million to be in the AHL next year.

Old
03-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Unless Leighton really craps the bed in 2011 training camp or gets hurt most likely he will be the 2nd goalie for the Flyers next year. It is highly unlikely that the Flyers are going to pay Leighton $1.5 million to be in the AHL next year.
If Boosh signs for less and has a friendlier cap hit, they will. Unless Boosh also craps the bed.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 01:27 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If Boosh signs for less and has a friendlier cap hit, they will. Unless Boosh also craps the bed.
Given the year that Boucher has, what makes you think that other teams won't be interested in signing him for more than his current $925,000?

I think it's highly unlikely that Boucher is a Flyer next year.

Old
03-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Given the year that Boucher has, what makes you think that other teams won't be interested in signing him for more than his current $925,000?

I think it's highly unlikely that Boucher is a Flyer next year.
The Flyers need someone more reliable than Leigthton. I doubt they let him walk, and I also doubt they're worried about burning the rest of Leighton's money in the AHL. If Boosh goes, it's probably because someone else was willing to pay him too much, or because his agent Birons him.

Old
03-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:

Time to pick the keepers in your fantasy league, eh?

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 01:58 PM
mirimon

I don't think it's a given that Leighton will be with the Phantoms next year, but we're having some cap issues as far as I can grasp and I don't think he's thought of too fondly by the management due to that whole covering-up-injury-business. If we can find a goalie that will sign for less and give what can be expected out of Leighton I think we'll go that route, be that Boucher or someone else. Leighton might still not be with the Phantoms of course, he'd have to go through waivers after all, also Homer has had a tendency in the past to make sure guys gets a second chance elsewhere.

How about Jose Theodore? He's having a decent season in Minnesota as far as I can tell, and would probably push Bobrovsky for the starter position.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 02:04 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The Flyers need someone more reliable than Leigthton. I doubt they let him walk, and I also doubt they're worried about burning the rest of Leighton's money in the AHL. If Boosh goes, it's probably because someone else was willing to pay him too much, or because his agent Birons him.
I don't think it's a matter of "letting him walk" and I'm sure they would like to sign him. I just think he's going to get some good offers, especially if he does well in the playoffs, that the Flyers won't be able to afford to match.

I'm also not sure about them not being too worried about burning Leighton's salary in the AHL. $1.5 million is a lot of money to pay a guy to play in the AHL.

Old
03-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I don't think it's a given that Leighton will be with the Phantoms next year, but we're having some cap issues as far as I can grasp and I don't think he's thought of too fondly by the management due to that whole covering-up-injury-business. If we can find a goalie that will sign for less and give what can be expected out of Leighton I think we'll go that route, be that Boucher or someone else. Leighton might still not be with the Phantoms of course, he'd have to go through waivers after all, also Homer has had a tendency in the past to make sure guys gets a second chance elsewhere.

How about Jose Theodore? He's having a decent season in Minnesota as far as I can tell, and would probably push Bobrovsky for the starter position.

That might not be terrible, actually. I think I like it if Boosh doesn't return.

Quote:
I don't think it's a matter of "letting him walk" and I'm sure they would like to sign him. I just think he's going to get some good offers, especially if he does well in the playoffs, that the Flyers won't be able to afford to match.

I'm also not sure about them not being too worried about burning Leighton's salary in the AHL. $1.5 million is a lot of money to pay a guy to play in the AHL.
Ah, seems we are pretty much on the same page. I just get the feeling that Leighton is the odd man out in the end, and this organization hasn't ever been shy about spending. They probably consider Bob the future, and I imagine they'd like to have someone better and more experienced than MFL to mentor Bob. Part of the reason I like Boucher is that I believe he gets that, and accepts his role.

Old
03-15-2011, 04:04 PM
aghockey86

Quote:

Agreed 100%, i noticed that and thought the same thing, not to mention his puck handling has definitely been getting better over the past few weeks too.

I'm sure that continued work with Reese over the summer and playing the N.A. game will vastly improve his vision, his reflexes are already great along with his athleticism. Hopefully it all pans out, he's got great character, and doesn't seem to let himself get too bent out of shape about mistakes either.

aghockey86 is offline   Reply With Quote