HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dionne talks Habs and Francophones... "Not the Flying Frenchmen anymore"

Old
08-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Sure you dont, they all speak english, just like you...
I'm french speaking, and I don't give a damn either, what kind of argument is that ?

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
I wonder if those quebecers that didn't came here just didn't want to be the sole Quebec stars on the team, so that all pressure would have been on them... if there was already 1 or 2 good quebecers on the team, maybe they would of signed, since they wouldn't have been the center of the universe...

Anyway this subject is so political and futile it's annoying...
I believe some would not 'cause they still didn't want to put up with that. But I believe some others would.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 09:35 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
So, what you're saying is the average French fan gets sick of seeing the same French player for every interview ?
Yes. It's called ''over exposure''. Same for entertainers and politicians.

Having Jacques Martin speaking everyday on the season (and even off sometimes) is quite painful. He is so boring... He is slightly better in English ans seems to prefer speaking in English, anyway.

And now, we gonna have to see and hear Lapierre and Pouliot every day !!! Poor guys.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 10:52 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
What I find funny is ex-Nords fans always bring the fact that if they bring back an NHL in Quebec this will be a Quebec born first team with alot of pride an nationalism while in their last edition in 1994-1995 the Nordiques only had 4 Quebecers players that had played 20 games or more which would get full of whining right now...

So in the end I don't think a team in Quebec city will change alot of things and bring more Quebecer in the league or the Canadiens. It will perhaps clean up the ex-nords fans that are always whining and bashing the team and it's a plus IMO.
people cared more for what the quebec nordiques represented politically than what they represented on the ice.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
What I find funny is ex-Nords fans always bring the fact that if they bring back an NHL in Quebec this will be a Quebec born first team with alot of pride an nationalism while in their last edition in 1994-1995 the Nordiques only had 4 Quebecers players that had played 20 games or more which would get full of whining right now...

So in the end I don't think a team in Quebec city will change alot of things and bring more Quebecer in the league or the Canadiens. It will perhaps clean up the ex-nords fans that are always whining and bashing the team and it's a plus IMO.
So the other 29 teams should subsidize a neo-Nordique team whise main resaon for existence is to appease a few francophones? Is an NHL team in Québcc City viable without it? Isn't it bad enough that league has to subsidize money-losing US teams?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:53 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
I'm french speaking, and I don't give a damn either, what kind of argument is that ?
I'll explain the obvious for you :
it's ****ing easy to say you dont mind the language someone speak when you're 100% guaranteed he speak the same as yours (even as a 2nd language)...

now, let's picture Markov and other Euro not talking english anymore (just Russian, Chech, whatever)... and Lapierre speaking french only...

think the anglos will keep saying they dont mind ?? really ?? you're THAT naive ??

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Yes. It's called ''over exposure''. Same for entertainers and politicians.

Having Jacques Martin speaking everyday on the season (and even off sometimes) is quite painful. He is so boring... He is slightly better in English ans seems to prefer speaking in English, anyway.

And now, we gonna have to see and hear Lapierre and Pouliot every day !!! Poor guys.
So you just want more French players on the team so you can hear them talk ?

Considering you're posting on this site, you understand English, so you can get the best of both Worlds.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:36 PM
kent_carlson

I won't go through the entire thread because we already had just too many. The fact is that with a better management; Robidas, Beauchemin, Ribiero, Latendresse and Tanguay could still be Habs players. For those 5 guys who are now regulars on their respective team, we now have Pouliot and nothing else. That's pretty weak.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:49 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
I won't go through the entire thread because we already had just too many. The fact is that with a better management; Robidas, Beauchemin, Ribiero, Latendresse and Tanguay could still be Habs players. For those 5 guys who are now regulars on their respective team, we now have Pouliot and nothing else. That's pretty weak.
Tanguay is god awful, sooner or later you gotta cut the cord, what about volchenkov this year? martin? Gonchar? all they do is replace them jesus this team is about winning not about what your ideals are, for example PK, Gomez and Cammy all on the fourth period website expressed just as much respect for the province by saying they are trying to learn french because it is part of the culture? what more do you want? honestly because i find this annoying

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
Tanguay is god awful, sooner or later you gotta cut the cord, what about volchenkov this year? martin? Gonchar? all they do is replace them jesus this team is about winning not about what your ideals are, for example PK, Gomez and Cammy all on the fourth period website expressed just as much respect for the province by saying they are trying to learn french because it is part of the culture? what more do you want? honestly because i find this annoying
Again, EVERYBODY respect what Cammy and Co are all about. Again, it is not about having 20 frenchies on the team. Never was, never will be. Having more francos in the team is more about being pro-Q than anti-world. I would not trade PK Subban for anybody, french included. Though can we just freakin agree that some don't care about that and some would like to see it 'cause they like to have the sense of identity that Quebecers on the team would give them. That's all. Clearly, if that team had the past history in the last 15 years than the Wingsn would have, that debate wouldn't exist. But since it's going up and down, some believe that it wouldn't be much worst WITH locals and they'd feel as if that team really is THEIR team.

Honestly, I'm really not sure what's to debate 'cause both sides have it in them to think how they're thinking. Not really sure how the "Couldn't care less of the language they speak" camp be entitled to tell to the other camp that they're way of thinking is stupid. 'Cause in the end, the only way people would be entitled to think that is only if we'd trade Markov for Bouillon or Cammalleri for Bégin which was never the case to begin with.

I love a whole lot of sports. Love watching athletes for all nations succeeds and do well. But my pride goes up when I see a Canadian doing great in his sport. I love that feeling to witness such moments. Call me crazy. My pride goes way up when I see a Québécois doing great. Call me super crazy. And guess what? I'm not a separatist. I am able to "separate" though how I feel about our athletes, our musicians, our industries and how I feel about how I see politics.

Old
08-23-2010, 09:17 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
How would the Habs have a comprehensive knowledge of non-Q players so that they could compare them with Q players if they put most of their effort into scouting the Q? Wouldn't that mean neglecting other parts of Canada as well as the US and Europe? You can't have it both ways. There are many more gems to be found elsewhere.
There will be cases which are obvious who is better than who.

And no it wouldn't mean neglecting other parts of Canada, Europe or the USA. Just add a few scouts that specialize in Quebec picks.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 09:38 PM
ppil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Honestly, I'm really not sure what's to debate 'cause both sides have it in them to think how they're thinking. Not really sure how the "Couldn't care less of the language they speak" camp be entitled to tell to the other camp that they're way of thinking is stupid. 'Cause in the end, the only way people would be entitled to think that is only if we'd trade Markov for Bouillon or Cammalleri for Bégin which was never the case to begin with.
Well, that's pretty much what I think. Even if I don't agree with you on the question, I also think that this isn't much of a debate. It pretty much as "should we put vegetables on the pizza or do we go pepperoni and cheese only?". Nobody will be right, it's just a question of taste.

My only point, without trying to convince anyone, is, I don't care if you want to have more Quebecers, but don't ruin my team. You can add complexity to it, you can complain all you want as long as you don't make it worst (I’ll say it for you all “It can’t really be worst than the last 15 years…”, I don’t agree with you, but you can believe it all you want).

I know you're saying that it's not because you are pro-franco that you are against Cammy, Gomez and cie. But what I read "we lost Robidas, Beauchemin, Ribeiro, Latendresse, Begin and Bouillon only to get Pouliot".

Robidas -> was -25 in his last year with the habs (I was young so I can't comment his play)
Beauchemin -> we all know what happened. The first time, it was an error (or an unfair gm...), the second time, there are mixed rumours whether or not he wanted to come so I won't criticize anyone on this.
Ribeiro -> went to become good elsewhere. Had a so-so year before getting traded, and even if no one has proof of anything, we all heard supposedly why he was traded.
Latendresse -> did pretty good with the wild, but still, he had only 3 pts in 23 games with the habs. I know, everybody (including him) are blaming the coaches, the gm, etc… But should we really cry about trading a guy who had 3 pts in 23 games (or would we cry if he wasn’t a Quebecer)
Begin -> Wasn’t playing much, but was still a warrior and was always giving is 100%. He was a “real” one, but that being said, to a lesser extend, Kostopoulos was doing the same job and I don’t see many here crying about the fact that we didn’t signed him…
Bouillon -> Dandouillon anyone? I was always one of his biggest fan, and most of the time, I was debating with other Quebecer habs fans, defending him because they would say that he was useless and he was tasking the spot of a young prospect.

I don’t want to debate on who was worth to be a habs, all I want to point out is that, those guys are some names that have popped out during this debate. Guys that weren’t doing much of a difference when they were with the habs, players that people complained about, but still, it seems that now, only for the language factor, a lot of people would prefer that those players were still with the habs. To me, that’s a double standard, and that wouldn’t help the habs in any way…

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
There will be cases which are obvious who is better than who.

And no it wouldn't mean neglecting other parts of Canada, Europe or the USA. Just add a few scouts that specialize in Quebec picks.
If the Habs were to hire extra scouts (which I doubt would happen because of a newfound frugality) it would make more sense to station them in places that turn out better prospects than the Q. When was the last time a heavily francophone team won the Stanley Cup? You're probably too young to remember.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Habs

... in other breaking news, the NHL has expanded from 6 teams to 30. Dionne shocked.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
... in other breaking news, the NHL has expanded from 6 teams to 30. Dionne shocked.
At first I was like, "haha, pretty good burn", and then I was like, "wait, he started his career in a 14 team post-expansion league, not original 6."

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
I love a whole lot of sports. Love watching athletes for all nations succeeds and do well. But my pride goes up when I see a Canadian doing great in his sport. I love that feeling to witness such moments. Call me crazy. My pride goes way up when I see a Québécois doing great. Call me super crazy. And guess what? I'm not a separatist. I am able to "separate" though how I feel about our athletes, our musicians, our industries and how I feel about how I see politics.
Yea and that's great. I'm sure most here that live in Canada will cheer for Team Canada in whatever sport the country might compete in. Maybe immigrants that still have a strong bond with their native country would cheer for their ancestor's nation, but I think we can all agree most here were ecstatic to see Crosby score that Gold Medal goal at the Olympics this year. I'm sure a lot supported Canada's overall run at the Games this winter.
That being said, there's a big difference between that and the NHL. We're not talking about international competition where the pride of a country is at stakes here.
We're talking about a business.

Hockey is entertainment, it's a spectacle. It's athlete performing for their livelihood and fans. We are blessed to being able to witness the best hockey players in the world perform throughout an 82game season, year in and year out.
Now, the circus is another entertainment business, where athletes put on a show. Cirque du Soleil is from Montreal, and I couldn't care less if the performers are from here or not. They don't have to make an effort to include local talent in their show.
Now, I know, the history is incomparable but my point is only to show that hockey is simply a business.
If one year, the Habs feel like that the best group of guys they can put forth and deliver the best show with doesn't include any local talent, so be it.

I don't buy into that Cinderella crap where it's important for a young Qc born kid to see some other French guys on that team in order to believe he as well can make it in the NHL.
I don't think we missed out on a lot of Lemieux's, Richard's or Lafleur's in the world of hockey. I don't think a Crosby good qc born kid decided not to play because he couldn't relate to his local team. If a kid wants to play hockey, he'll play hockey. I played hockey for 10years and as a kid always wanted to make it to the NHL. I used to dream of playing along side Sakic. But as I grew older, I realized I wanted to have lots of sex right away and party, so hockey was pushed to the side. The name on the jerseys really had nothing to do with my decision.

If we win the cup with 25ish immigrant names, I will be just as happy as if we win it with 25ish Qc born names. I really don't care. I don't care if the owner, president, gm, coaches or players are french. I put more importance on the fact those people would want to learn french in order to communicate and relate to the city they now live/work in, but I couldn't care less where they were born/brought up.
There should be no preferential treatment in this world.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 01:41 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yea and that's great. I'm sure most here that live in Canada will cheer for Team Canada in whatever sport the country might compete in. Maybe immigrants that still have a strong bond with their native country would cheer for their ancestor's nation, but I think we can all agree most here were ecstatic to see Crosby score that Gold Medal goal at the Olympics this year. I'm sure a lot supported Canada's overall run at the Games this winter.
That being said, there's a big difference between that and the NHL. We're not talking about international competition where the pride of a country is at stakes here.
We're talking about a business.

Hockey is entertainment, it's a spectacle. It's athlete performing for their livelihood and fans. We are blessed to being able to witness the best hockey players in the world perform throughout an 82game season, year in and year out.
Now, the circus is another entertainment business, where athletes put on a show. Cirque du Soleil is from Montreal, and I couldn't care less if the performers are from here or not. They don't have to make an effort to include local talent in their show.
Now, I know, the history is incomparable but my point is only to show that hockey is simply a business.
If one year, the Habs feel like that the best group of guys they can put forth and deliver the best show with doesn't include any local talent, so be it.

I don't buy into that Cinderella crap where it's important for a young Qc born kid to see some other French guys on that team in order to believe he as well can make it in the NHL.
I don't think we missed out on a lot of Lemieux's, Richard's or Lafleur's in the world of hockey. I don't think a Crosby good qc born kid decided not to play because he couldn't relate to his local team. If a kid wants to play hockey, he'll play hockey. I played hockey for 10years and as a kid always wanted to make it to the NHL. I used to dream of playing along side Sakic. But as I grew older, I realized I wanted to have lots of sex right away and party, so hockey was pushed to the side. The name on the jerseys really had nothing to do with my decision.

If we win the cup with 25ish immigrant names, I will be just as happy as if we win it with 25ish Qc born names. I really don't care. I don't care if the owner, president, gm, coaches or players are french. I put more importance on the fact those people would want to learn french in order to communicate and relate to the city they now live/work in, but I couldn't care less where they were born/brought up.
There should be no preferential treatment in this world.
The only thing you are demonstrating in your post is that you don't believe in it. Fine. Like I said before, I'll respect that opinion. Personally, the day that I'll approach a season with only and solely the "business" aspect of it, I'll stop watching. To me, it's also a passion. It's a hockey team and while things have changed a whole, it still carries the history that it has. They didn't have any problems leaving the Forum and going in the Bell Centre 'cause it does prove the point that it's a business. They couldn't care less about the history that was playing in that place. Yet, the banners are following. They have so much hesitation to add a 3rd jersey or to make any kind of modications in their 2 actual ones. It does prove in my mind that while it is a business, and nobody can ever be as stupid enough as to be naive and pretend it's not ESPECIALLY in a cap salary world...., there's still a possibility to bring that passion level up ESPECIALLY since winning in this league is as tough as it never was before thanks to parity and numbers of team.

Pretty sure my point is also pretty clear. NOWHERE will I be satisfied enough if the only point to add a Québécois in the lineup is to make him speak between periods. So in the end, my way of adding those guys would not be detrimental to the team. And clearly, I agree with you as far as seeing guys on the team making efforts to communicate with the fans. It's just a question of respect like Cammy, Gomer and others have mentioned.

And there are no preferential treatments in my way of seeing things. I do not see how having the guys I want to be detrimental to the team like I said before. I am against the return of Christian Laflamme. Yet, I would take Lombardi, Laperrière, Latendresse etc. on my team any day of the week.

As far as the Cinderella crap you are not buying into, well I don't how old you are but it might be a factor. I'm old enough so that my father was able to speak elequently about what he witnessed live, the passion and the effort that the guys put in and how it translated into success. I can clearly see now that a kid who will be drafted next year at 18 yo, was probably not born when we won our last cup. Which could make his father (let's go with a 30yo father at the time of birth) a witness of the 93 Cup, he had 23yo for the 86 Cup, and 16yo for the 79 one.....Was the kid at that time that much interested in hockey? Did he really enjoyed and lived the moment of what those teams were? Can we actually put the 86 and 93 team in the same phrase as the teams that our fathers (for the older guy like me, and I'm just 38 though my father had me when he was much older) were talking about when they were talking about THE Montreal Canadians and who were forming that team? Pretty sure we can't.

So right now, I'd agree that the kid who will be drafted next year, does not see the Habs like the sole solution. By far. It doesn't mean that I have to share the same experience or feelings that he does 'cause I don't have the same background.

And this is why there's so many different opinions on the subject. That we should ALL agree to disagree based on where we're coming from.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:49 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I dont agree.
After Bjorn Borg winning five straight Wimbledons from 1976-1980, I dont know how many Swedish kids picked up a tennis racket. Sweden, with a popularity of roughly 8 millions produced top end players throughout the eithies and a few years into to nineties. As success at the internationel stage dried up, the number of tennis players in sweden dwindled significantly.
The same can be sad about skiers after Ingemar Stenmark being one of the best skiers in the world during the late seventies and early eigthties. All of a sudden, each and every swede started skiing in the winter, something that had been a past time for the upper class.
Same with soccer, after Sweden scored a bronze at the '94 WC, the number of soccer players, and attendence, exploded and that still keeps on giving.
Lately it has been track and field.

I can go on and on about this but I think you get the point. And I dont think it is solely a Swedish thing.
Remember when the QMJHL was the "goalie factory" of Cananda? Who tendend goal for the Habs back then?

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:00 AM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
If the Habs were to hire extra scouts (which I doubt would happen because of a newfound frugality) it would make more sense to station them in places that turn out better prospects than the Q. When was the last time a heavily francophone team won the Stanley Cup? You're probably too young to remember.
So basically you think french players are not as good as others. OK we get it. But if we had scouts who specialize in finding those good prospect in the Q, people would be happy.

And I never said to have 90% of the Habs french. I just want a few francophones in the top 6. Right now all the French have is a 3rd line dude who likes to make faces.

And just because a "heavily" (not sure what you mean by this) hasn't won a Cup recently doesn't mean they couldn't do it. Anyway it's not even what I want. I just want some Quebecois to have an important role on the Habs.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
Not signing Tanguay for the money he was looking for was a very good move by the front office, he was a total flop last year.

Beauchemin was lost on waivers because they tried to send him to the AHL so he wouldn't lose a full season during the lock out, plus he had conditionning issues that only fixed themselves after Columbus dumped him. Once he got to Anaheim, Murray got on his case about his conditionning and he finally responded.

Ribeiro was a cancer that had to be moved, playing in Montreal long term was not a realistic given the nightlife and he was creating waves with the veterans in the room. I would take Gomez or Plekanec ahead of him in a heartbeat.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:15 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
The only thing you are demonstrating in your post is that you don't believe in it. Fine. Like I said before, I'll respect that opinion. Personally, the day that I'll approach a season with only and solely the "business" aspect of it, I'll stop watching. To me, it's also a passion. It's a hockey team and while things have changed a whole, it still carries the history that it has. They didn't have any problems leaving the Forum and going in the Bell Centre 'cause it does prove the point that it's a business. They couldn't care less about the history that was playing in that place. Yet, the banners are following. They have so much hesitation to add a 3rd jersey or to make any kind of modications in their 2 actual ones. It does prove in my mind that while it is a business, and nobody can ever be as stupid enough as to be naive and pretend it's not ESPECIALLY in a cap salary world...., there's still a possibility to bring that passion level up ESPECIALLY since winning in this league is as tough as it never was before thanks to parity and numbers of team.

Pretty sure my point is also pretty clear. NOWHERE will I be satisfied enough if the only point to add a Québécois in the lineup is to make him speak between periods. So in the end, my way of adding those guys would not be detrimental to the team. And clearly, I agree with you as far as seeing guys on the team making efforts to communicate with the fans. It's just a question of respect like Cammy, Gomer and others have mentioned.

And there are no preferential treatments in my way of seeing things. I do not see how having the guys I want to be detrimental to the team like I said before. I am against the return of Christian Laflamme. Yet, I would take Lombardi, Laperrière, Latendresse etc. on my team any day of the week.

As far as the Cinderella crap you are not buying into, well I don't how old you are but it might be a factor. I'm old enough so that my father was able to speak elequently about what he witnessed live, the passion and the effort that the guys put in and how it translated into success. I can clearly see now that a kid who will be drafted next year at 18 yo, was probably not born when we won our last cup. Which could make his father (let's go with a 30yo father at the time of birth) a witness of the 93 Cup, he had 23yo for the 86 Cup, and 16yo for the 79 one.....Was the kid at that time that much interested in hockey? Did he really enjoyed and lived the moment of what those teams were? Can we actually put the 86 and 93 team in the same phrase as the teams that our fathers (for the older guy like me, and I'm just 38 though my father had me when he was much older) were talking about when they were talking about THE Montreal Canadians and who were forming that team? Pretty sure we can't.

So right now, I'd agree that the kid who will be drafted next year, does not see the Habs like the sole solution. By far. It doesn't mean that I have to share the same experience or feelings that he does 'cause I don't have the same background.

And this is why there's so many different opinions on the subject. That we should ALL agree to disagree based on where we're coming from.
I salute your courage and your willingness to explain the whole issue, over and over, in such a diplomatic manner. You are really patient.

Bravo Monsieur !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:06 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I'll explain the obvious for you :
it's f***ing easy to say you dont mind the language someone speak when you're 100% guaranteed he speak the same as yours (even as a 2nd language)...

now, let's picture Markov and other Euro not talking english anymore (just Russian, Chech, whatever)... and Lapierre speaking french only...

think the anglos will keep saying they dont mind ?? really ?? you're THAT naive ??
99.9% of the time I have no idea what language they are speaking out on the ice. Except for interviews, who knows what is being said. And those questions and answers are usually so cliche do they really count? Better yet, I wonder what language all those players are thinking in? That must really drive you nuts

Did you watch the World Cup? Did it matter what language was being spoken? Did it affect your enjoyment of the games?

Meanwhile you are here speaking in hypotheticals and accusing others of being naive?

Quit trying to make something out of nothing. It's hockey. Every last person on the roster could speak french 24/7/365 and I could not care less. So don't try to tell me it would bother me if they spoke anything else. Never assume for an instant that you can justify your fixation on language by saying the rest of us would react the same way

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
More like, in other breaking news, European players have a bigger impact on the game, so there are less spots available for all North Americans, not just Quebecois, so you need to be to produce talent.

Also, just because there are good, solid quebecers I'd love on the team, doesn't mean the team should overpay to get them here.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
So basically you think french players are not as good as others. OK we get it. But if we had scouts who specialize in finding those good prospect in the Q, people would be happy.

And I never said to have 90% of the Habs french. I just want a few francophones in the top 6. Right now all the French have is a 3rd line dude who likes to make faces.

And just because a "heavily" (not sure what you mean by this) hasn't won a Cup recently doesn't mean they couldn't do it. Anyway it's not even what I want. I just want some Quebecois to have an important role on the Habs.
That "Basically you think .." is your choice of words. If you look at recent drafts you'll see that the top choices rarely come from Québec. Of course they don't. They come from everywhere else. There are no hidden gems in Québec that were totally overlooked and had to settle for non-hockey careers. Do you know of some Mario Lemieux the Habs should have drafted? The Habs drafted Leblanc, fine, but do you consider him to be someone who could step into the lineup? Right now all I can say is that he's probably better than Desharnais.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
I dont agree.
After Bjorn Borg winning five straight Wimbledons from 1976-1980, I dont know how many Swedish kids picked up a tennis racket. Sweden, with a popularity of roughly 8 millions produced top end players throughout the eithies and a few years into to nineties. As success at the internationel stage dried up, the number of tennis players in sweden dwindled significantly.
The same can be sad about skiers after Ingemar Stenmark being one of the best skiers in the world during the late seventies and early eigthties. All of a sudden, each and every swede started skiing in the winter, something that had been a past time for the upper class.
Same with soccer, after Sweden scored a bronze at the '94 WC, the number of soccer players, and attendence, exploded and that still keeps on giving.
Lately it has been track and field.

I can go on and on about this but I think you get the point. And I dont think it is solely a Swedish thing.
Remember when the QMJHL was the "goalie factory" of Cananda? Who tendend goal for the Habs back then?
Looking at the names/countries you just mentioned, they've all accomplished something great. It matters very little where they're from, people like that will influence masses. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I don't think we missed out on a lot of Lemieux's, Gretzky's or Crosby's. Those players were destined to play hockey.

Borg is still considered one of the best tennis players of all time.
Ingemar Stenmark is considered the greatest specialist of Slalom and Giant Slalom of all time.
Of course they will influence others. I'm sure Lemieux made more kids want to play hockey, I'm sure Roy made kids want to play goalie instead of center.
I'm sure Babe Ruth made kids want to play Baseball.
I'm sure Tyson made some want to pick up boxing. I'm sure Pele made other Brazilian kids want to play soccer.
Like you said, we can go on and on about this.
The only thing you proved here is that great accomplishments by players/teams will influence people. Of course they do, that's why their sport never dies, thanks to people like them.

But that's not really what I was talking about. I was talking about the ridiculous idea that a kid named Tremblay won't play hockey because he can't relate to any Qc born player with the Habs. That's a ridiculous notion. That kid will play hockey no matter who is with the Habs. Qc born players or not, Hockey will remain the talk around town when it comes to sports in Qc. Not only that, but there's a huge number of Quebecers that play around the NHL. So he can relate to many Qc born players outside of Mtl, and as soon as he follows a little bit, he'll understand how the drafts/trades work.

You're talking about Greats influencing people. I agree. If there's a Tremblay that enters the NHL in a few years and is good enough to deke Crosby with one hand and his eyes closed, he will make a lot of young Quebecers want to play hockey. It doesn't matter if he plays with the LA Kings or Mtl Habs, he will influence a great amount of locals.
That's not what I was talking about as I pointed out.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote