HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-11 season preview - Tomas Plekanec

Old
09-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Sebaldian

vCash: 500
2010-11 season preview - Tomas Plekanec

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=536668

This quote jumped out at me:

Quote:
“Having Andrei [Kostitsyn] bounce back will be huge for this team. We need him to play at the top of his game,” explained Plekanec, who has almost exclusively played with Kostitsyn over the last two seasons. “I know what Andrei can do and we shouldn’t forget that he was injured last year. If he can come back strong, we’ll have two scoring lines and be even more dangerous this year.”
Stuff like this is always good to hear as well:

Quote:
“Being overlooked again is just more motivation for us,” continued Plekanec. “We’re used to proving people wrong. The experience we gained from the playoffs was amazing. People on the outside have no idea how big that was for us. We’re a different team now.”

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 10:49 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Love this guy and love hearing this stuff. Plex is turning into a pretty vocal leader as well. Drop the puck already!

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Guilliam

“Anyone who thinks I’m going to sit back and relax now that I have a long-term deal doesn’t know me very well,” warned Plekanec. “The contract won’t change anything for me. Last season was last season. It won’t matter once this season starts. I’ll have to prove myself all over again. We all will.”

That's the quote that stood out to me

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 11:25 AM
katatoniak

He's great

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not quite ready to hand him the C just yet. But I have been impressed at how much Plekanec has stepped up, he's definitely improving his leadership skills.

09-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Darz

have to disagree with this part of the article....

Armed with his new six-year deal and with the weight of the world now off Plekanecís shoulders, how could the 27-year-old center not be breathing a sigh of relief heading into his ninth NHL campaign

I don't think playing in Montreal with a 80% raise over his previous salary is going to make Plek's feel like weight has been taken off his shoulders..if anything weight has been added...but I feel like Plek's is the type who can handle it.

09-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Love this guy and love hearing this stuff. Plex is turning into a pretty vocal leader as well. Drop the puck already!

+1000

Pleky is one of my favorite players!! He can play every aspect of the game and he's fun to watch. I'm very very glad we still have him on our team.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I'm not quite ready to hand him the C just yet. But I have been impressed at how much Plekanec has stepped up, he's definitely improving his leadership skills.

It was likely hard for him to be a leader when guys like Koivu and Kovalev were still around. Now that the Habs have a new core and since he's been on the Habs longer than Gomez, Gionta and Cammy....he probably feels more comfortable speaking up now.

Having some younger guys like Pleks on the team when they brought in the new faces was great for bring the whole team together. The dressing room is tighter than it has been for 10 years....IMO.

Old
09-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post

Armed with his new six-year deal and with the weight of the world now off Plekanecís shoulders, how could the 27-year-old center not be breathing a sigh of relief heading into his ninth NHL campaign

I don't think playing in Montreal with a 80% raise over his previous salary is going to make Plek's feel like weight has been taken off his shoulders..if anything weight has been added...but I feel like Plek's is the type who can handle it.
I found that comment to be a little strange myself. With this new contract Plekanec is now thrust into the spotlight and will be expected to preform at a certain level.

I agree, I think he'll be able to handle the added responsibility. The fact that he has stepped up in the past and proven to be his own worst critic, shows me that he has the mental capacity to handle the added pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
It was likely hard for him to be a leader when guys like Koivu and Kovalev were still around. Now that the Habs have a new core and since he's been on the Habs longer than Gomez, Gionta and Cammy....he probably feels more comfortable speaking up now.

Having some younger guys like Pleks on the team when they brought in the new faces was great for bring the whole team together. The dressing room is tighter than it has been for 10 years....IMO.
I totally agree with this. Now that he has become one of the elder players, he probably is a lot more comfortable speaking up and taking more of a leadership role.

I have to admit just a few short seasons ago I wasn't Plekanec's biggest fan. He's turned me into a believer though and impressed me with the way he's been able to improve both on and off the ice.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Pleky Roks

He's impressed me too. When he first got called up to the Habs for a few games a few years ago, I always thought he was too small to do anything....but the more he's played and the more I've watched him....he's impressed the pants off of me. The fact that he's put up 20+ goals in the last 3 seasons is enough to impress me....I've always seen him as more of a playmaker than goal scorer....but I guess he can do it all.

Old
09-03-2010, 01:03 PM
FeelsLike93

that playoff run built some much confidence in the team and the locker room and it was obvious. In my opinion we would've been a different team heading into next season had we not made the playoffs

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
He's impressed me too. When he first got called up to the Habs for a few games a few years ago, I always thought he was too small to do anything....but the more he's played and the more I've watched him....he's impressed the pants off of me. The fact that he's put up 20+ goals in the last 3 seasons is enough to impress me....I've always seen him as more of a playmaker than goal scorer....but I guess he can do it all.
That's pretty much how I felt. I honestly thought he was too small, and too soft of a player to ever be a top line C. It's a good thing that I'm not a GM, because I probably would have dealt him away a few years ago. Instead I'm sitting here eating crow.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
That's pretty much how I felt. I honestly thought he was too small, and too soft of a player to ever be a top line C. It's a good thing that I'm not a GM, because I probably would have dealt him away a few years ago. Instead I'm sitting here eating crow.

HAHAHA....yep...I likely would have done the same thing. I love it when players prove critics, including myself, wrong. It shows you what kind of character they have.

Old
09-03-2010, 01:29 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
That's pretty much how I felt. I honestly thought he was too small, and too soft of a player to ever be a top line C. It's a good thing that I'm not a GM, because I probably would have dealt him away a few years ago. Instead I'm sitting here eating crow

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Bekbe

looking at Plekanec for the past years show us what kind of player he is, he got almost everything ( not the height ) to succeed, he's smart and calm, he progress every years in is career except the season who everybody crash except lapierre. very good at defence, very good at offence, his confidence seem to be really high. He got what he need to perform in Montreal

at 27 year old we will see what he can do, I do not expect 90 points from him but maybe he can reach the 80 one day, if he play like he can (offence and defence) the 5 million will be a really good contract

Last edited by Bekbe: 09-03-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Bekbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:37 PM
neofury*

I'll be one of the first to admit that after that horrible season he had, I wanted him gone. To be honest he really did look like **** that year and I honestly did think he wasn't trying, that he was a one hit wonder and would never achieve what he had previously achieved.

I was wrong, and I feel bad because he's one of my favorite players these days. We all make mistakes in judgment especially being that we aren't real GM's or scouts, but I couldn't have been more wrong about the guy.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

What helps Plekanec's case, just like it helped Kovalev and Koivu (God how I miss Koivu...) is the fact that they're able to reach out to the European players as well. Plekanec is now one of the only guys on the team who can communicate with the whole team in their native language. I know it's not a big deal but he's from the same country as Spacek and Hamrlik, he speaks some Russian and Czech and Russian aren't that different of languages (I know Kostitsyn is Belarussian, but just for argument's sake).

On top of being able to speak to the Europeans his english is really good too, he can express himself properly, which really helps in interviews and talking to the team. It would be nice if everyone on the team spoke 100 languages but having some good links between all the languages on the team is helpful. Same goes for Hamrlik and Spacek, who are pretty solid leaders in their own right.

I'm hoping for a big season from Plecks, and I doubt he'll disappoint.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Max Levine

Quote:

Quote:
I found that comment to be a little strange myself. With this new contract Plekanec is now thrust into the spotlight and will be expected to preform at a certain level.
There's got to be a lot of pressure on a 26-year old playing the last year of his contract, especially since that contract was only a one-year deal. This was the future of his career which he has secured for the next six years.

I don't see how Plek could feel as much pressure the next season because of the contract he just signed. No different than Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri or anyone else making $5M +. If anything, he'd be more relaxed knowing he belongs on this team for a long while.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 04:42 PM
FeelsLike93

Love Pleky but in order to take the next step he needs to be efficient in the playoffs. He was "just another guy" in the playoffs but for him to be called elite he needs to be more then that in the post season offensively*, i know how good he was defensively and who he played against but I would still like to see some more offensive support from him come spring time.

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 04:52 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
ďAnyone who thinks Iím going to sit back and relax now that I have a long-term deal doesnít know me very well,Ē warned Plekanec. ďThe contract wonít change anything for me. Last season was last season. It wonít matter once this season starts. Iíll have to prove myself all over again. We all will.Ē

That's the quote that stood out to me
Fantastic. Loving his attitude. A lot of ours players seem to have their heads in the right place. Subban, Cammy, Pleks

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

I have always felt that Plekanec has the characteristics to be a captain, but unfortunately most people disagree. I think what sets him back is that he often isn't a presence on the ice, despite all his skill and effort. However, listening to him is refreshing. He is a true professional, one that is devoted to his work and loyal to his team.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 01:21 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
I have always felt that Plekanec has the characteristics to be a captain, but unfortunately most people disagree. I think what sets him back is that he often isn't a presence on the ice, despite all his skill and effort. However, listening to him is refreshing. He is a true professional, one that is devoted to his work and loyal to his team.
Plekanec seems like the kind of person that is his own biggest critic. When times are tough, he's been known to call himself a little girl, and he questioned the czech officials in regards to why they selected him to the worlds a couple years ago when he had his poor season.

I just think that if you want to be a successful captain in this market, you gotta be a bit more level headed. I think Gionta is very good at this. He cares, but he doesn't sound too high after wins or too low after losses.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Stradale

Plekanec is a very professional player and hard working guy.. but I don't think will ever be a captain. He is more a guy that does his own thing. Not a big talker. Low profile. Not like there's anything wrong with that.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 02:44 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:

Armed with his new six-year deal and with the weight of the world now off Plekanec’s shoulders, how could the 27-year-old center not be breathing a sigh of relief heading into his ninth NHL campaign

truth has been spoken. + 1.

despite his stats sometimes, his effort level was always one of the highest on this team, especially in rough times. he cares, and his contract doesnt bother me a bit.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 09:16 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Plekanec is a very professional player and hard working guy.. but I don't think will ever be a captain. He is more a guy that does his own thing. Not a big talker. Low profile. Not like there's anything wrong with that.
Plekanec leads by exemple not talks.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote