HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Frantisek Kaberle Sr. on his son: Tomas Kaberle won't re-sign if Wilson is coach

Old
08-20-2010, 12:50 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Simon Gagne v2
or the leafs keep him for the last year of the contract. gagne was asked to waive his ntc, kaberle wasnt and its obvious that burke plans to keep him for this year

its looking like he wont resign though, which sucks, i was hoping that he could be signed to an extension

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:50 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Once again, Burke proves why he's the most overrated GM in the game.

Leafs hands are tied now.
Most overated GM? He's crapped on more than any GM in the game today.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Tinalera

I don't see the huge deal.

If he wants to leave, he'll let Burke know what team and waive NTC. If he wants to stay he'll resign. And I don't think that Kaberle would play out his year, being fully miserable with Wilson(if that's the case), and not waive his NTC just to "stick it" to Burke and the Leafs so he can walk as a UFA.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Andy

I don't see why Burke couldn't just shut his loud mouth for over a year now in terms of what he wanted for Kaberle. Why does he need to go public about everything in terms of what he wants and what is being offered and the quality of what other teams are willing to part with.

I don't blame Kaberle one bit, he's been in the media for over what now three years because the leafs are looking to trade him? It's ridiculous and the stupidity of the situation rose when Burke came in and started yapping his mouth every week about what he wanted for Kaberle and what teams were offering.

All they did was piss off a player and ruined any significant trade value that he had left.

Expecting the world for an aging ufa d-men is really stupid.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:52 PM
quesosauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
At this past trade deadline the incredible Joe Corvo returned a 2nd + Osala

Kaberle has trade deadline value
taking a terrible trade and using it as ammo is a bad idea, carolina coulda just kept and resigned corvo (i believe they did anyway)

now if this report is true, toronto has ABSOLUTELY no leverage here, im not quite sure how you dont understand this.

Sure kaberle still has value, but before you could have gotten something similar to Clowe+ in a deal for kabs, now your looking at kaberle+ for Clowe in my opinion, as the teams interested now know that they are in a position of strength and if burke wants to get SOMETHING for kaberle, he now has to settle, or lose him for nothing, once again, assuming this report is the truth

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:

How does this make him overrated? Because he didn't trade a solid PMD and now the players father is coming out saying he won't resign, despite the fact that Kaberle's agent said that he WANTED TO RESIGN just a week ago?

All you people saying that you trust Kaberle Sr. over his agent are just stupid.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Doesn't work that way sadly.

It is not that Kaberle has less value, it's that Brian Burke just lost his negotiating position.

However, Kaberle does not have a huge contract to move (Heatley) and would be moved during a period of fairly high demand. So the return won't be a joke, it just won't be what it could have been a week ago.

The real problem here is the Leafs can no longer say "we'll just keep him and be happy" because it's hollow. If he will not re-sign the Leafs can not risk losing him for nothing. Its not like they are going to contend this year, Kaberle for one year does them no good.
I think by not trading him during the summer, thats exactly what the leafs are risking

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
Some will re-sign but the 2011 UFA market is not looking to bad
Zherdev, Laich, Backes, Fleischmann, Cole, Frolov, Sturm, Williams, Connolly, Bergeron, Richards, etc

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
On what issue? The likelihood of free agents signing with Toronto? What could he possibly know about that?
serious? it's his SON

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Kubina i'd say.

The Leafs have no problem signing free agents.
You think Kubina was an A List UFA?

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Right. Because Frantisek Kaberle Sr. is the final word on NHL free agency.
You mean Donovan McNabb's mom isn't the final word on the NFL?

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
Evidently they do.

Hilarious, isn't it?
Unless there is some major rift between them that I am unaware of (I thought they were pretty close) it's pretty tough to believe this just came from nowhere. If it's untrue, his Dad would be doing harm to his son's team and by that his son, why would he do that?

If his friend came out and said this, ok, but it's his Dad. On TSN. I'm sorry, there's got to be some truth in there.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Fair enough but who was the last A List UFA that Toronto signed?
The Leafs have no problem signing UFAs. Stop making stuff up.

Old
08-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Most overated GM? He's crapped on more than any GM in the game today.
Because he's a loud mouth who doesn't shut up. That happens in any situation, there is attention on him because he's draws it to himself. Remember the whole "I want Tavares" crap that we had to hear almost every day before the draft. Why can't he just shut up and conduct his business in private. All he does is raise the hopes of an already overly optimistic, self-centered leafs fan base only to crush those hopes and look like an idiot in the end.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:54 PM
cc

too bad Burke didn't have this information before his NTC kicked into effect. In hindsight, he should have just picked the best deal that was on the table at the time.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:55 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
On what issue? The likelihood of free agents signing with Toronto? What could he possibly know about that?
I don't know the guy, so I can't say for sure... but I'm guessing he knows more than any of us, if he at least has a relationship with his son? unless Tomas doesn't talk to his dad at all, and tell him anything that he wouldn't tell the media, I'm guessing he has some inside knowledge on the situation?

and being his father, I'm also guessing he's more in touch with the hockey world and Toronto management directly than most of us are... maybe he's talked to agents - Tomas does have an agent, right? or maybe he's talked to other fathers of players on the team?

I have no idea personally... but when a guy who has some direct connections with the league - and obviously being the father of a long-time player in the organization, he should... I'm guessing he knows more about the behind the scenes info - things that as fans we don't hear in the media - than the majority of us do?

is that a bad assumption?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:55 PM
thalegion

Quote:

How is he overrated when most people(including some in T.O) think he's the worst GM in hockey?

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:56 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Fair enough but who was the last A List UFA that Toronto signed?
I guess that depends what you consider an A list UFA. Very few have hit the market in recent years. You'll scoff at Komisarek I'm sure, but he was a big name UFA in his class. There's no reason to think UFA's are avoiding Toronto based on the last couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
serious? it's his SON
You're obviously misunderstanding what I'm saying. Kaberle Sr. said that free agents don't want to come to Toronto. A poster highlighted that in the context of this thread. I pointed out that he likely doesn't know any more than the rest of us about where free agents want to go. Being Tomas Kaberle's father doesn't give any insight outside of issues relating to Tomas Kaberle.

nuckfan, same thing, you obviously thought I was speaking about the likelihood of Kaberle re-signing.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post
taking a terrible trade and using it as ammo is a bad idea, carolina coulda just kept and resigned corvo (i believe they did anyway)

now if this report is true, toronto has ABSOLUTELY no leverage here, im not quite sure how you dont understand this.

Sure kaberle still has value, but before you could have gotten something similar to Clowe+ in a deal for kabs, now your looking at kaberle+ for Clowe in my opinion, as the teams interested now know that they are in a position of strength and if burke wants to get SOMETHING for kaberle, he now has to settle, or lose him for nothing, once again, assuming this report is the truth
At the trade deadline Kabs cap hit is a little over 1.0
Cup contenders will be lining up and if the story is true why would Kaberle refuse to waive his NTC to go play for a cup contender if he does not plan on re-signing?

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Loso

Prediction:

People don't read the article or the interview behind it, see the title, assume that it's Kaberle himself saying I want out, then in every Kaberle thread we're gonna here either "I told you so, he's gonna leave" or "_____ will not give you blank _____ because Kaberle will not sign with TML so you'll be lucky to get (lesser player) _____" or "Burke is an idiot and should've traded him". I don't buy Tomas' dad having much bearing on the decision so I'd bet money that Kaberle resigns if he's not traded. Quote me on this in the coming offseason.

Loso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:57 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I'm glad he doesn't want to return, and not because I want him in LA. Honestly, I do like Brian Burke most of the time, he's a wonderful GM, but he handled the Keberle issue horribly. I mean pretty much from day one it's been known that the Leafs would look at moving Kaberle. It's been two trade deadlines now of rumours of him waiving his no trade clause, two off-seasons of this talk, and being in a hockey hotbed like Toronto, that means nearly two years of everyday being told you'll be going to this team or that. I mean over the past two years, is there a team which hasn't been rumoured to be getting Kaberle?

I know it's a business, but I don't recall a trade issue dragged out like this since Khabibulin, and that was as much due to a contract dispute as it was trade return. I don't think players should be catered to by management, but in this case it has been to long that Kaberle has had the gillotine of his tenure with Toronto hanging over his head and I hope he doesn't go back just because of it. He can get the same money elsewhere, same playing time, and a better chance at a cup. If I was him, I'd want to leave too.

Burke screwed up on this one.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MauDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
All you people saying that you trust Kaberle Sr. over his agent are just stupid.
A greedy agent who cares about the $ and not Kaberle...or...his own FATHER.

Yes we are the stupid ones.

MauDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I don't know the guy, so I can't say for sure... but I'm guessing he knows more than any of us, if he at least has a relationship with his son? unless Tomas doesn't talk to his dad at all, and tell him anything that he wouldn't tell the media, I'm guessing he has some inside knowledge on the situation?

and being his father, I'm also guessing he's more in touch with the hockey world and Toronto management directly than most of us are... maybe he's talked to agents - Tomas does have an agent, right? or maybe he's talked to other fathers of players on the team?

I have no idea personally... but when a guy who has some direct connections with the league - and obviously being the father of a long-time player in the organization, he should... I'm guessing he knows more about the behind the scenes info - things that as fans we don't hear in the media - than the majority of us do?

is that a bad assumption?
Yes, the agent that said that Tomas wanted to stay in Toronto just over a week ago. Although Tomas may leave, I still trust the word of his agent over his father's because, you know, his agent is the one directly involved with his status.

Old
08-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
How is he overrated when most people(including some in T.O) think he's the worst GM in hockey?
You mean on HFboards or in the real world?

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauDevils View Post
A greedy agent who cares about the $ and not Kaberle...or...his own FATHER.

Yes we are the stupid ones.
He's going to get paid regardless. Who do you think has more information on Kaberle's status? The one who may get snippets of information, or the one who deals with this business every single day?