HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Nick Merkley - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2015 Draft)

Old
08-11-2012, 03:36 AM
VerySuperFamous

vCash: 500
C Nick Merkley - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2015 Draft)

He was drafted by the Kelowna Rockets 9th overall in the WHL so I might go see him. Anyone seen him play live or played against him? I read an article saying he should go top five in the WHL draft, homerism, or any reason he fell? Is he WHL ready? He seems like a dynamic scorer that can pass?

VerySuperFamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:29 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerySuperFamous View Post
He was drafted by the Kelowna Rockets 9th overall in the WHL so I might go see him. Anyone seen him play live or played against him? I read an article saying he should go top five in the WHL draft, homerism, or any reason he fell? Is he WHL ready? He seems like a dynamic scorer that can pass?
That's right. I don't think he will step right in as a 16 YO and produce but he should be a good player down the road

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:17 PM
GreyEagle14

Does anyone know where this kid is playing this year? Can't find him listed on the Rockets roster page. I played some pond hockey with him and he was as good as 17 year olds when he was 12. Would love to follow him these next few years leading up to his NHL draft year.

GreyEagle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:20 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle14 View Post
Does anyone know where this kid is playing this year? Can't find him listed on the Rockets roster page. I played some pond hockey with him and he was as good as 17 year olds when he was 12. Would love to follow him these next few years leading up to his NHL draft year.
Calgary Buffaloes, AMHL.
He has 12 points (5+7) in 8 games.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:39 PM
GreyEagle14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Calgary Buffaloes, AMHL.
He has 12 points (5+7) in 8 games.
Ah, thanks. Is he expected to make the jump to the dub next year? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about the progression to junior for young players.

GreyEagle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 10:56 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle14 View Post
Ah, thanks. Is he expected to make the jump to the dub next year? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about the progression to junior for young players.
Yes, he'll have a chance to make the Rockets full time next season and will likely get a few games as an affiliate player this season.

The WHL drafts kids out of bantam and they are not allowed to become full time players until they are in their 16 year old year.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:55 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Merkley played one regular season game and two playoff games so far. I'm watching the Rockets - T-Birds game and Merkley had a huge scoring chance after some sick moves. Definitely a player to watch over the next few years!

Is his draft year 2015?

PGCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:14 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Also thought he was fantastic last night. Some real good scoring chances.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 05:13 PM
offbeatgravy

Just named WHL player of the week, 3gp with 4g 2a and a +6. Saw him play against the Portland Winterhawks and he was great with 2 assists, made a sweet pass on Ryan Olsen's goal.

http://www.kelownarockets.com/articl...er-of-the-week

offbeatgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 08:23 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
That's right. I don't think he will step right in as a 16 YO and produce but he should be a good player down the road
Man was I wrong! Did not expect to see him play like this after seeing him in Midget, but good for him!

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 03:02 PM
offbeatgravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Man was I wrong! Did not expect to see him play like this after seeing him in Midget, but good for him!
Yeah I didn't expect him to start off this hot either! Hopefully he can sustain it over the season.

offbeatgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Almost a PPG pace right now. I know his brother Jay didn't exactly pan out after being a high bantam pick. Does Nick have any attitude or work ethic issues like his brother or is he for real?

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 02:08 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
Almost a PPG pace right now. I know his brother Jay didn't exactly pan out after being a high bantam pick. Does Nick have any attitude or work ethic issues like his brother or is he for real?
His brother just lost his love for hockey. nick hasnt shown that.

herashak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 05:53 PM
sabresEH

Nick is Kelowna best offensive player. Myles has checked out and Nick is taking over on the offensive side of the game.

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:25 PM
Bhrangerfan0809

Any scouts with a projection for where Merkley could go in the 2015 draft? I know it's early, but it's always fun to speculate.

Bhrangerfan0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 05:48 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrangerfan0809 View Post
Any scouts with a projection for where Merkley could go in the 2015 draft? I know it's early, but it's always fun to speculate.
Around my top 15 now. Right now, the top half is stacked with pure talents. He's a mix of hustle and skill.

He could very well be the next Sam Bennett.

Old
04-07-2014, 08:18 PM
foxygen

Merkley has really stood out to me over the course of Kelowna's past 4 home playoff games. Having gone to those games as a largely unbiased observer, there were a variety of qualities in his game that struck me as being remarkable for a 16 year old.

He is a great skater with a low centre of mass and this contributes to how hard he is on the puck, particularly down low and on the half-wall. He also has very nimble hands and seems to be very confident in attempting creative offensive plays - another exciting quality for someone his age. He is chippy but not to the extent of becoming a liability, more so just immediately willing to stand up for himself. Probably most impressive, though, is that he is being used on the Rockets' 1st PP and 1st PK. He just strikes me as that archetypal two-way player: super high hockey IQ, low maintenance...

To be balanced, it would be nice to see him shoot more, as he seems somewhat tentative with the puck even when there are relatively open shooting lanes. He isn't huge, but seems to be of very stocky build (a kind of square frame). Could still improve his first few steps to offset size differentials with the top WHL D he will undoubtedly be matched up with next season..

I would say he currently compares favourably to players like TJ Oshie, Sharp (probably high upside), Parise (probably high upside), Eberle, Filppula. Should be a top 15 pick, could climb even more if he has a big season next year (big: read as 80+ pt campaign, perhaps some international tourney exposure).

I know this is a long post but this kid didn't seem to be getting very much attention around here, and that might as well not last for too much longer because he is a really fun player to watch

foxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Love

I could see him end up as a top 5 pick (yes I know its a great draft).

Sometimes players "come out of nowhere" (except not really) and rocket their way up the draft rankings. I could see this happening with Merkley.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:32 PM
VerySuperFamous

Was wondering when someone would make a thread (didn't notice it got merged before I posted, with my thread too haha). Great guy, great player, chance to win memers before his draft year playing a big role is always good.

VerySuperFamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 01:05 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

A lot to like here talent wise, not a lot to like frame and toughness wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxygen View Post
I would say he currently compares favourably to players like TJ Oshie, Sharp (probably high upside), Parise (probably high upside), Eberle, Filppula. Should be a top 15 pick, could climb even more if he has a big season next year (big: read as 80+ pt campaign, perhaps some international tourney exposure).
Not even close to Oshie or Parise, agreed on the Eberle comparison.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 07:41 PM
foxygen

He's only 16 and could easily grow an inch and put on 20 pounds over a few years. This is substantiated by his brother being 5'11/190, which is the weight class of a significant percentage of the NHL

foxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:37 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxygen View Post
He's only 16 and could easily grow an inch and put on 20 pounds over a few years. This is substantiated by his brother being 5'11/190, which is the weight class of a significant percentage of the NHL
Oh absolutely, I'm just talking about the present time that he isn't even close to Oshie or Parise in toughness.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote