HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Democratic Mock Draft

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2004, 01:36 AM
CuSa_1

vCash: 500
Democratic Mock Draft

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=78612&page=1&pp=15

By the votes so far, it looks like Montoya will be our selection.

Old
05-31-2004, 07:46 AM
degroat*

Last edited by degroat*: 05-31-2004 at 07:50 AM.
Old
05-31-2004, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
LOL, I was kinda thinking the same thing...

Old
05-31-2004, 11:10 AM
Prussian_Blue

Everyone's convinced that the Blues absolutely must draft a goaltender, apparently...

Old
05-31-2004, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Weidler

Everyone's convinced that the Blues absolutely must draft a goaltender, apparently...
A goaltender is probably the last thing the Blues should draft in the first couple rounds...

Old
05-31-2004, 12:08 PM
degroat*

I wouldn't really have a problem with taking a goaltender in the 2nd round and I wouldn't exactly be traumatized if we did take Montoya in the 1st round. He'd be a great addition to any organization.

The problem is that the people that voted aren't bright enough to seperate organizational needs from what they perceive as a need of the Blues.

Old
05-31-2004, 02:43 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
I wouldn't really have a problem with taking a goaltender in the 2nd round and I wouldn't exactly be traumatized if we did take Montoya in the 1st round. He'd be a great addition to any organization.

The problem is that the people that voted aren't bright enough to seperate organizational needs from what they perceive as a need of the Blues.
I think the Blues can get a goalie in the second, or even the third round, who should in the long run be as good as Montoya. There's not much difference in my mind between Montoya and Justin Peters, David Shantz, or Dave Brown.

Shantz and Peters took their teams deep into the OHL playoffs, and Brown's numbers at Notre Dame are comparable to Montoya's, although Montoya did play more games and has the WJC experience with Team USA.

I'm intrigued by Cory Schneider (6'2, 195, 1.42 GAA, 6 SO, .956 in 24 games with Philips-Andover Academy, and some experience with the U-18 Team USA as well). I don't know if I'd take him with the 17th pick, however, and I have a feeling he'll be long gone by #47. So unless the Blues can trade down, or somehow acquire a pick in the 25-35 range, they'll probably miss out on him.

Personally, I think there's a guy out there who will probably be available in the third, or even fourth, round, and who would fill an organizational "hole," or need for a top-notch, big, major junior goalie.

Dan Turple (#22 NA goalie per CSS) is the rookie in Oshawa that pushed Chris Beckford-Tseu out of a job. He finished with very good numbers (2.61 GAA, .923 save percentage in 35 games), and is a big guy like Devan Dubnyk, the #2 ranked NA goalie.

Dubnyk is listed at 6'6, 194. Turple is listed at 6'5, 210.

The interesting thing about Turple is that only two goalies ranked higher than him had a better save percentage -- Regina's Dustin Slade at .933 in 24 games, and Derek MacIntyre of the Soo Indians (NAHL) with a .924 in 39 games.

One played fewer games, the other played in a lower-level league.

I'm fully cognizant of the fact that stats don't tell the entire story, but if you couple this guy's size with his stats, you get what sure looks like a good young goalie prospect on paper. And he played well enough in his first full major junior season to make trade bait of a more-established goalie in Beckford-Tseu.

The Blues might also want to look at Peter Mannino (Tri-City, USHL) as a long-range prospect. Mannino had good numbers (2.11 GAA, 5 SO, .908 save percentage) in 38 games with the Storm, also went deep into his league's playoffs, and has committed to play for the national champion Denver University Pioneers ( ) next season.

DU's top goalie, Adam Berkhoel, will be moving on to the pro ranks next year, and his backup, Glenn Fisher, wasn't impressive with a 3.58 GAA, .872 save percnetage, and 3-1-1 record in nine games played. So Mannino should have a chance to play for DU right from the get-go, and if he plays well, he can cement himself as their #1 guy for the next four years.

As for the last, I think I'd personally stop short of impugning the "brightness" of the people who voted for Montoya as the Blues' pick... but I do agree that they seem to have been voting on the pick based on what they see as a need at the NHL level, and voting without knowledge (or acknowledgement) of the presence of Barulin and Nissinen in the Blues' system already.

Closed Thread