HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What teams have retired or Honored sweater #'s

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2004, 11:20 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

vCash: 500
Gilmour's Way:

#1 isn't a retired number for the Leafs, it is an honoured number as well. 5 and 6 are the only retired. You can tell by the different coloured banners.

Old
06-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
You are absolutely correct. The Avs get criticized left and right for retiring #77, even on ESPN. If the Flyers won the Cup this year, and Zhamnov retired, that doesn't mean they retire #23. Bourque wasn't even the MVP. It's nice for Bourque, but it is a joke and suitable for a public mockery.
If Tampa retired Andrechuk's number I doubt we'd even hear a tenth of the hue and cry.

Old
06-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Timmy1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
If Tampa retired Andrechuk's number I doubt we'd even hear a tenth of the hue and cry.
Dave Andreychuk has had a way bigger impact on a young green club like the Lightning than Ray Bourque had on the veteran, more experienced, and previous champion Avalanche. However you could also argue that the Lightning are just maturing, but could have they done it this fast without a guiding presence like Dave? Coaching is part of it, the system is part of it, but these can only take you so far. An on ice and locker room leader is needed when you're dealing essentially dealing with a bunch of kids and cast-offs from other teams. And remember, Tampa was a complete joke of a team just a couple of seasons ago. Over the last 2-3 years, I don't think there's a player that has had such influence on their team as Dave has had since he joined the Lightning. It wouldn't suprise me to see his number retired, irrelevant if they win the Cup this year or not. Heck, he might even get some kind of coaching position because he's done so much for the team.

Old
06-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Andreychuk went to Tampa when they were crap, and now he is captaining the team to within 2 games of the Stanley Cup. Certainly his leadership was far more critical to Tampa's transition from laughing stock to contenders than Bourque was to Colorado, who pretty much just went to a team already full of leaders and used them to get a championship for himself.

Old
06-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Prince Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy1973
Does anyone else think that Colorado retiring Bourque's number is a bit of a stretch? He only played there what a year and a bit? Should he really be on the level of guys that have been with the organization for years? Not to take away from his accomplishments as a player, but his number should only be in the Fleet's rafters in my opinion.
Yeah, not to sound like a jerk but you guys should be paying respects to the Nordiques before the Bruins.

Old
06-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Mercury
Yeah, not to sound like a jerk but you guys should be paying respects to the Nordiques before the Bruins.
Then the spin against us would be we were coopting the Nords history. Bourque played more hockey in Denver than Stastny.

Last edited by Hasbro: 06-02-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old
06-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Bourque played more hockey in Denver than Stastny.
Sandis Ozolinsh played more hockey in Denver than Ray Bourque.

Old
06-03-2004, 01:17 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeverine
Sandis Ozolinsh played more hockey in Denver than Ray Bourque.
Ray bourque played more hockey in his own zone than Sandis Ozolinsh ever did in Denver.

Anyway retiring Bourque's number here is as legitimate as Boston latching on to that cup run.

Old
06-03-2004, 03:22 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Ray bourque played more hockey in his own zone than Sandis Ozolinsh ever did in Denver.

Anyway retiring Bourque's number here is as legitimate as Boston latching on to that cup run.
Ozolinsh had more to do with the 96 Cup run than Bourque did in the 01 Cup run. When is Colorado going to retire #8, which should have already been retired?

Old
06-03-2004, 03:34 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Ozolinsh had more to do with the 96 Cup run than Bourque did in the 01 Cup run. When is Colorado going to retire #8, which should have already been retired?
Yeah, Bourque sat on the bench eating Krispy Kremes reading a racing form rather than than playing 30 minutes a night.

Ozolinsh has the disadvantage of still being active.

Old
06-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Mick Vukota

If teams like the Isles, Habs, Oilers, Leafs, etc. retired numbers with the same approach as the Avs, there would be no numbers left to gift out. And I do believe Andreychuk is more deserving of having his number retired as a Bolt than Bourque was as an Av, but I wouldn't retire either. Andreychuk, as important as he is, just hasn't spent enough time (so far) in a Bolts jersey to deserve that honor.

Old
06-03-2004, 01:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Vukota
If teams like the Isles, Habs, Oilers, Leafs, etc. retired numbers with the same approach as the Avs, there would be no numbers left to gift out. And I do believe Andreychuk is more deserving of having his number retired as a Bolt than Bourque was as an Av, but I wouldn't retire either. Andreychuk, as important as he is, just hasn't spent enough time (so far) in a Bolts jersey to deserve that honor.
What about the Rangers with the people who have passed through the Garden?

Old
06-03-2004, 01:39 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
I was actually going to ask Detroit fans why Hull was wearing #17, but I guess you've answered my question. It might be Holland not letting anyone wear it, but I'd think Hull wouldn't wear it anyway, and it's good of him to respect Vladdy.

It's a little bit of both. Hull said he wouldn't ask to wear #16 when he came to Detroit. I doubt the organization will give it out anyways.

Illitch should do the right thing and hang #6 from the rafters of JLA.

Old
06-03-2004, 02:15 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Vukota
Of course by that standard I could argue that teams that haven't won a cup shouldn't retire a number at all.

I haven't heard any criticism of the Stars retiring Neil Broten's number and he played less games in Dallas than Bourque did in Denver and had alot less to show for it there. If Broten's number should be reitred anywhere it should be in Minnesota with the Wild.

Really alot of the impetus for the criticism for 77 being retired is to mock Colorado for trying to manufacture hockey history and "thinking the NHL started in 1995," which is a bald faced lie. Three other people I can think of off the top of my head have ties to our hockey community that predate the Avs. I'm continualy amazed at the double standard between us and Dallas, who takes alot less criticism than we do yet takes alot less criticism outside of Minnesota anyway.

Old
06-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Of course by that standard I could argue that teams that haven't won a cup shouldn't retire a number at all.

I haven't heard any criticism of the Stars retiring Neil Broten's number and he played less games in Dallas than Bourque did in Denver and had alot less to show for it there. If Broten's number should be reitred anywhere it should be in Minnesota with the Wild.

Really alot of the impetus for the criticism for 77 being retired is to mock Colorado for trying to manufacture hockey history and "thinking the NHL started in 1995," which is a bald faced lie. Three other people I can think of off the top of my head have ties to our hockey community that predate the Avs. I'm continualy amazed at the double standard between us and Dallas, who takes alot less criticism than we do yet takes alot less criticism outside of Minnesota anyway.
It might have something to do with the fact that Dallas recognizes the fact that its franchise moved from Minnesota while Colorado is trying to wipe out any sort of link to the Quebec Nordiques.

Old
06-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It might have something to do with the fact that Dallas recognizes the fact that its franchise moved from Minnesota while Colorado is trying to wipe out any sort of link to the Quebec Nordiques.
The played exhibition games there and team guides recognized that section of the team history (with the exception of the number usage.) The Devils only mention moving from Colorado and nothing else. Anytime the Avs recognize the Nords history we're accused of coopting it.

Old
06-04-2004, 12:58 AM
Prince Mercury

Yeah, dude, I don't think anyone has ever accused Colorado of associating itself to closely with the Nordiques.

I could be wrong here, I live in neither Denver nor Québec, but that's sure not how I see things. I mean, the team left Québec in 1996, won the cup, and never looked back.

Old
06-04-2004, 01:03 AM
ES

I would also like to know has anyone used numbers 7,8 and 19 in Minnesota Wild?

Old
06-04-2004, 01:13 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Mercury
Yeah, dude, I don't think anyone has ever accused Colorado of associating itself to closely with the Nordiques.

I could be wrong here, I live in neither Denver nor Québec, but that's sure not how I see things. I mean, the team left Québec in 1996, won the cup, and never looked back.
A year ago they staged an exhibtion game in QC with Montreal and made sure to pay tribute to the old Nords. Sakic, Forsberg and Foote wore the old jerseys for pregame cermonies. Sakic was first star diespite losing and only having an assist. The Avs stopped short of going full throw back because it would have cost about 250K.

After 1996 Roy was designated to take the cup back to Quebec City since he was a native. He displayed it at his golf tournament. The team was trying to be a little bit sensative towards the issue with this scenario.

Old
06-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Bergeron47

Officially Retired
#3 Al Hamilton
#17 Jari Kurri
#31 Grant Fuhr
#99 Wayne Gretzky

Should be Retired (Past)
#4 Kevin Lowe
#7 Paul Coffey
#11 Mark Messier

Should be Retired (Present)
#94 Ryan Smyth

Old
06-04-2004, 06:20 PM
GoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES
I'm not sure, but did Ronning wear #7? Or was that 77?

Old
06-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
He wore #35.

im sure that was a typo on your part. Surely the resident Blackhawks fan must know this.
I think the site I got it from ha a typo

I wasnt even alive when Tony O was playing

Old
06-04-2004, 09:14 PM
JFPIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
Blackhawks:
#1 Glenn Hall
#9 Bobby Hull
#18 Denis Savard
#21 Stan Mikita
#35 Tony Esposito
#99 Wayne Gretzky

Many hawk fans want to see #3 Keith Magnuson retired, and hopefully, one day, #15 will be retired

I'd like to see three co-retired for Maggie and Pierre Pilote. While we're at it, retire 7 for Cheli as well.

Old
06-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES
David Cullen wore #19 for 3 games in 01-02.

Clif Ronning wore #7 for 80 games in 02-03.

Stephane Veilleux wore #19 with Minnesota for 38 games in 02-03.

Old
06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
KH1

Tonelli's number should be retired as well

Closed Thread