HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buf - Van

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2010, 10:40 AM
threeVo

vCash: 500
Buf - Van

To Buf:

Jordan Schroeder or Cody Hodgson
Christian Ehrhoff
4th 2011

To Van:

Drew Stafford
TJ Brennan or Andrej Sekera
Nathan Gerbe
1st 2011

What would it take to get one of the Centers from VAN? Buffalo needs some depth down the middle in their system and both seem close to being if not already NHL ready players. Not sure how close we are value wise here, but it address 2 needs for each team because VAN sheds a soon to be UFA and 3.1M in salary in a swap for 1.9M. Brennan has looked good in camp so far and could be ready soon to make the jump in the next year or two.

Van gets a former 1st rounder with a good upside that has struggled in Buffalo, a hobey baker winner, and a solid D prospect and pick

Old
08-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Peter Griffin

A big HELL NO! from the Canucks. And the Canucks won't be looking to "shed" Christian Ehrhoff, he was arguably the team's best two-way defenseman last season.

Old
08-21-2010, 10:50 AM
BlamBlam

Why does Ehrhoff need to be involved?

Old
08-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlamBlam View Post
Why does Ehrhoff need to be involved?
Or Hodgson/Schroeder for that matter. No player in this deal coming from Buffalo would entice me to move either player, and neither is going to be moved anytime soon for a bunch of lesser assets.

Old
08-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyNeedsAcup View Post
Did you even think about the Canucks needs/wants in creating this proposal? Why do they trade [one of] their best prospect(s), and their best defenseman for a struggling forward, two mediocre prospects, and a first? Buffalo should work a deal around Bieksa, because Gillis hangs up laughing here.
Yea, something involving Bieksa and Stafford may be doable, depending on what the Canucks think of Stafford.

Old
08-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Nuckles
RIP Capgeek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
To Buf:

Christian Ehrhoff
4th 2011

To Van:

Drew Stafford
Nathan Gerbe
1st 2011
Remove TJ Brennan and put in Tyler Myers, and the Canucks wont laugh at the proposal.

Old
08-21-2010, 11:06 AM
BlamBlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Or Hodgson/Schroeder for that matter. No player in this deal coming from Buffalo would entice me to move either player, and neither is going to be moved anytime soon for a bunch of lesser assets.
I was just concerned with how this trade is supposed to address Buffalo's lack of centre prospects and for some reason Van is giving up a massive piece. I'm open to the idea of moving Schroeder, but as you said the pieces aren't here.

Old
08-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Sabretip

Depending on what happens with Bieksa and Mitchell in Vancouver, as well as how Salo's recovery from the injury goes, I'd like to see the Canucks and Sabres become trading partners sometime this season with Salo ending up in WNY. His age is a little bit of a detractor but he'd solve a lot of issues with the Sabre power play. It remains to be seen if Salo becomes expendable during his absence or not - and I have no idea what the Canucks would be seeking from Buffalo in return.

Old
08-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Remove TJ Brennan and put in Tyler Myers, and the Canucks wont laugh at the proposal.
Then the Sabres would be laughing at the proposal...

Old
08-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Depending on what happens with Bieksa and Mitchell in Vancouver, as well as how Salo's recovery from the injury goes, I'd like to see the Canucks and Sabres become trading partners sometime this season with Salo ending up in WNY. His age is a little bit of a detractor but he'd solve a lot of issues with the Sabre power play. It remains to be seen if Salo becomes expendable during his absence or not - and I have no idea what the Canucks would be seeking from Buffalo in return.
Salo has a NTC and Gillis won't be asking him to waive it.

Old
08-21-2010, 12:05 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
To Buf:

Christian Ehrhoff
4th 2011

To Van:

Drew Stafford
Nathan Gerbe
1st 2011

What would it take to get one of the Centers from VAN? Buffalo needs some depth down the middle in their system and both seem close to being if not already NHL ready players. Not sure how close we are value wise here, but it address 2 needs for each team because VAN sheds a soon to be UFA and 3.1M in salary in a swap for 1.9M. Brennan has looked good in camp so far and could be ready soon to make the jump in the next year or two.

Van gets a former 1st rounder with a good upside that has struggled in Buffalo, a hobey baker winner, and a solid D prospect and pick
You want our best D man and our best prospect for that!!! hell no!!!! Add in Myers.

Old
08-21-2010, 12:14 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
To Buf:

Christian Ehrhoff
4th 2011

To Van:

Drew Stafford
Nathan Gerbe
1st 2011

this may be one of the worst proposals I've seen here with the Canucks.

The Canucks aren't trading their most valuable defender from last year... you make it sound like it's a positive for the Canucks to "shed themselves of a soon to be UFA at $3.1mill"?? Ehrhoff was voted 9th for the Norris for a reason - he had a fantastic season well worth the $3.1mill he's making, and unless you really think the Canucks are rebuilding team, you don't drop soon to be UFAs that are key parts of the team.

Ehrhoff is also a great fit on this system right now... in many ways, the system has changed to compliment his game perfectly. There's also no reason to suggest that Gillis won't be trying to make sure that Ehrhoff remains a part of this team long-term. Salo's contract is done after this season (and no, he isn't going to get traded before then, given his NTC) and that gives plenty of room to re-up Ehrhoff.

I wouldn't consider moving any of those players for the package you listed altogether! The most valuable piece there is a 1st round pick, and the Canucks again aren't rebuilding, while Hodgson and Schroeder are both recent 1sts that are expected to be big parts of this team moving forward.

just a downright horrible proposal.

Old
08-21-2010, 12:14 PM
JerkChicken

Vancouver's response to the proposed trade:

Old
08-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Kagee*

Yeah pretty horrible OP proposal.

I don't think MG will be trading Schroeder or Hodgson unless its ridiculous proposal involving a top tier all round dmen prospect/young player who just like Schroeder/Hodgson has top potential.

Schroeder is our mighty mouse already, no need for Gerbe, and don't want to swap both either.

Everyone on here should know by now it'll be Bieksa moved ahead of Ehrhoff.

Old
08-21-2010, 12:22 PM
carlweezer*

one of the worst propsals...in a bit, but im not going to bash it because everyone is entitled to making proposals that only benifit their teams..

for Canucks POV..

Hodgson and Schroeder is our 1-2 top prospects..both with really high ceilings..There is no way that either will be moved to the Sabres unless Myers is involved.

1st rnd pick means nothing to the Canucks..they are contending now and have done a really good job stacking the cuoboard with prospects. Witgh Bufallo being a playoff team that pick will probably range from 17th over on..not that high of a commodity especially in a "bad draft" year.

The Canucks arent looking to "shed" a Dman who finsihed top 10 in the Norris voting last year. Just because he is a UFA doesnt mean we will lose him, and honestly if we do then at least we can make a cup run with him for his last year.

Old
08-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Wow outside of the 1st rounder that's a real package of junk coming from Buffalo.

Old
08-21-2010, 12:37 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I was just thinking of a comparable that pkg going the other way...

how about this:

Ennis or Kassian
Connelly
4th in 2011

for

Samuelsson
Oberg or Rome
Shirokov
1st in 2011

and I think I'm being generous here comparing it to the Sabres offer, since personally, Hodgson/Schroeder are > Ennis/Kassian and Samuelsson > Stafford, but you get the point.

Would the Sabres like the shed Connelly's $4.5mill salary since he's a UFA after this year, so they can get that package above?

**note, not that I think the Canucks would want Connelly given his cap hit, but just trying to look at a comparable pkg.

Old
08-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
since personally, Hodgson/Schroeder are > Ennis/Kassian
I have to question this seriously with Hodgsons physical issues and Ennis' actual production....There is no defense of the original proposal, but this is not accurate either

and I wanted The Isles to draft Cody, but as of this moment Ennis is the best of the 4

Old
08-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Cogburn

Hodgson is the second coming, Schroeder could be moved if it gave us a huge piece at the deadline (we're talking a bona-fide star here, not a rental), and Ehrhoff wasn't arguably our best defenseman at both ends, he was. Buffalo and Vancouver could be fine trading partners, but I agree with my fellow Canucks fans, this deal doesn't give us anything back that we could use immediately, and in addition to surrendering one of our top prospects, we lose our top defender, while we are supposed to be in a "win now" mode.

While we're talking trade, what would the asking price be for Grier? Or is he even available?

Old
08-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
I have to question this seriously with Hodgsons physical issues and Ennis' actual production....There is no defense of the original proposal, but this is not accurate either

and I wanted The Isles to draft Cody, but as of this moment Ennis is the best of the 4
Ennis better than Hodgson?

Hodgson is not rolling around in a wheel chair like some people seem to think.

Old
08-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Ennis better than Hodgson?

Hodgson is not rolling around in a wheel chair like some people seem to think.
no he's not but Ennis has done it on the NHL level, Hodgson hasnt yet, and until he does the edge has to go to Ennis

10 games is a small sample to be sure, but 10 games at nearly a point per game is a pretty good indicator of quality or werent you aware of that...?

NuckfaninTo is not a newbie he's one of this boards most savvy posters, so I know he'd give Ennis his just due, Like I said I wanted my own team to draft Cody so its not a slight at him, Its just recognition that excelling at the NHL level deserves recognition over excelling in juniors.

and thats not to say the original proposal was a good one, because it wasnt, it was horrendous

Old
08-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Illmatic Stoic

you would have to have ennis atleast or myers. one of them comping back. Why would we trade hodgson and schroeder? and we don't want to dump our best defenseman and only puckrusher.

Old
08-21-2010, 03:49 PM
threeVo

haha i just really wanted to gauge the nucks fans value of either of the prospects, which is expectedly very high. Either would be excellent to have in the system and a more realistic proposal would be something like:

Kassian
1st

for

Hodgson
2nd

Both were drafted relativly close to the same positions in the draft and obviously the team seeking would need to overpay. Doesnt address anything because kassian is the type of player the sabres need anyway

Old
08-21-2010, 03:50 PM
cyber_ecco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
no he's not but Ennis has done it on the NHL level, Hodgson hasnt yet, and until he does the edge has to go to Ennis

10 games is a small sample to be sure, but 10 games at nearly a point per game is a pretty good indicator of quality or werent you aware of that...?

NuckfaninTo is not a newbie he's one of this boards most savvy posters, so I know he'd give Ennis his just due, Like I said I wanted my own team to draft Cody so its not a slight at him, Its just recognition that excelling at the NHL level deserves recognition over excelling in juniors.

and thats not to say the original proposal was a good one, because it wasnt, it was horrendous
These are always difficult things to project. In the end it really comes down to opinion. Its hard to compare potential to proven ability. For example....by this logic you could say:

Ennis > Taylor Hall

I think we all know that no one would trade a Taylor Hall for Ennis. All I'm saying is that it can't always be just about stats. There is something to be said about potential and ability. Its why draft pics are so valuable. Personally I can't comment on Ennis because I have never seen him play but I'm pretty sure Hodgson will prove a lot over the course of his career.

Old
08-21-2010, 03:51 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
To Buf:

Christian Ehrhoff
4th 2011

To Van:

Drew Stafford
Nathan Gerbe
1st 2011

One of the worst proposals ever... forget Hodg or Sch, that isn't even enough to get you Ehrhoff or Elder. Drew Stafford does not hold a ton of value to the 'nucks due to his contract (he has value but just not a lot). TJ Brennan or Andrej Sekera are decent defensive prospects but guess what... we are pretty much set on D except for bottom pairing in the near future WITHOUT this trade. We have our own prospects that look like they will be able to fill the holes and our top 4 seems set for the next 4-6 years. Gerbe is a good prospect but his value is below a 1st already and we are giving up a prospect thats worth more than him?

Try this trade in NHL 11 and see if it works when the game comes out next month. I doubt NHL 11 even accepts it, forgot real life.

Closed Thread