HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 118: Edgar vs Penn II

Old
08-30-2010, 04:40 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Mr. Toney,

You fail to realize that MMA guys having not been talking sh** about boxers the way boxers have been trashing mixed martial artists. There is no reason for Randy to foolishly step in the ring with you.

Cordially yours,
Reality
I think that would be awesome, having a series where a known boxer and MMA athlete in the same weight class fight a boxing match, a K1 match, and an MMA match.

Anderson Silva would be a good candidate for something along those lines, giving his standup pedigree, length, and ability to cut weight.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 06:05 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Maia dominated that fight, I was very impressed. He outstruck the guy and took him down at will, and once it got to that point he did with him what he wanted. I can only think of one time where he was on his back hoping for the guy to engage him and I believe it was when he was gassing mid-way through the 3rd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Amen, I don't know what the nonsense about him looking poor was about. Before the fight nobody could see a way for Maia to get Miranda to the ground, he does it over and over again with ease yet people still pi** and moan about his performance.

Even when they were standing Maia held his own. People overlook how accomplished Miranda is on the ground himself, that is why he got out of the subs, contrary to popular beleif..
If it seemed that I was implying Maia looked poor then let me clarify, because that wasn't my point. I just can't stand it when guys lay on their backs hoping their opponent will get on top of them. Maia did get Miranda down and did exactly what he needed to do to win. I have no problem with that. The big difference for me personally is if a wrestler wants a guy on his back, he simply puts him there. If a BJJ guy wants a guy on top of him he'll often kinda fall backward hoping his opponent will get on top. Palhares does it all the time, Werdum did it against Fedor, Maia has done it before. I just can't stand that personally. Who knows, maybe that's just me though.

Miranda is a BJJ black belt, so I fully understand that him escaping subs was not a discredit to Maia's ability. Maia is probably the best sub guy in the UFC. But saying that, I was very unimpressed with Miranda aside from his sub escapes. I expected more after hearing quite a bit about him.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 06:09 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I think that would be awesome, having a series where a known boxer and MMA athlete in the same weight class fight a boxing match, a K1 match, and an MMA match.

Anderson Silva would be a good candidate for something along those lines, giving his standup pedigree, length, and ability to cut weight.
That's sort of what Overeem and Hari tried to do, but after Overeem obliterated Badr with K-1 rules Hari backed out of the mma bout they were supposed to have. Though Badr with proper grappling training would be a bad bad dude.

sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 09:27 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
On one hand you're right, the circumstances of the fights did make them somewhat compelling, on the other hand, of all the fights on the main card, not a single one was competitive. Also, keep in mind, it's natural for humans to desire closure on issues--so when so many go to a decision, that instinct kicks in.
I wasn't enthralled by the event, to be fair. But while competitive fights are fun, I thought the sheer mastery showed by some of the winners was a sight to behold. Outside of Toney, it wasn't poor quality of the losers that lead to the one sided fights, but rather than amazing skills of the winners (and even the Toney fight had the latter).

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
If it seemed that I was implying Maia looked poor then let me clarify, because that wasn't my point. I just can't stand it when guys lay on their backs hoping their opponent will get on top of them. Maia did get Miranda down and did exactly what he needed to do to win. I have no problem with that. The big difference for me personally is if a wrestler wants a guy on his back, he simply puts him there. If a BJJ guy wants a guy on top of him he'll often kinda fall backward hoping his opponent will get on top. Palhares does it all the time, Werdum did it against Fedor, Maia has done it before. I just can't stand that personally. Who knows, maybe that's just me though.

Miranda is a BJJ black belt, so I fully understand that him escaping subs was not a discredit to Maia's ability. Maia is probably the best sub guy in the UFC. But saying that, I was very unimpressed with Miranda aside from his sub escapes. I expected more after hearing quite a bit about him.
Maia has gotten Sonnen and other wrestlers down before. Maia's wrestling is actually very good.

Miranda has the best submission defense out of anyone in the UFC by a far margin. It's his calling card. His sub defense is just out of this world. He is going to be a very, very good fighter.

Hunter Gathers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:14 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Maia has gotten Sonnen and other wrestlers down before. Maia's wrestling is actually very good.
Yes, and funny enough after what I had said earlier I was actually going to edit my post and mention this specific example. That was enormously impressive. Sure Sonnen is susceptible to subs, but that maneuver was amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Miranda has the best submission defense out of anyone in the UFC by a far margin. It's his calling card. His sub defense is just out of this world. He is going to be a very, very good fighter.
I don't know enough about Miranda to agree or disagree, but from what I saw in that fight I'm not sure if he is in fact gonna be a very good fighter. I didn't see the heart/drive/killer instinct, whatever you want to call it. He got knocked out by Gerald Harris who while no scrub, is what maybe a top 20 guy, and he got thoroughly dominated by Maia, not to mention he's already 31. We'll see I guess.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:46 AM
Spawn

vCash: 50
Being dominated by Maia isn't the end of the world. The guy has 2 losses in his career. One against Silva who picked him apart on the feet, and one against Marquardt, who honestly probably got a bit lucky in that fight. Rarely does a guy get dropped on the first punch of the fight. Maia took one in a bad spot for sure and got dropped, but I think if they fought again it would be entirely different.

I think if not for Silva that Maia could be the champion at middle weight. His striking is decent enough and on the ground no one can tangle with him. Even if he doesn't get the sub he dominates positionally.

Even though his ground and pound is mediocre, I love watching a submission guy like Maia trying to get advantages and work for submissions. It's just as good as a great stand-up fight imo.

Spawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 10:41 AM
DeathFromAbove

James Toney got paid 500,000 dollars for this fight.

Thats more than Lesnar makes!

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 01:24 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
James Toney got paid 500,000 dollars for this fight.

Thats more than Lesnar makes!
I can't fathom Lesnar making less than 500K per fight. He must get a cut of PPV revenue.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 01:52 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I can't fathom Lesnar making less than 500K per fight. He must get a cut of PPV revenue.
According to wiki he made 400K for the Carwin fight, but I think you're right and that doesn't include any PPV bonuses.

Still though, Toney's base pay for that fight makes him the highest paid fighter in UFC history for a single fight I believe

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote