HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Why Didn't Burke Take It and Run?

Old
08-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Leafssss

vCash: 500
Why Didn't Burke Take It and Run?

Dallas Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk has confirmed that the Stars have pulled out of the Kaberle sweepstakes. It had been rumoured that Dallas had offered forward Mike Ribeiro, but that wasn't enough for Leafs GM Brian Burke. Ribeiro isn't a Burke type of player anyways, he lacks truculence and character.

Sportsnet

It seems to me as though Burke is a little bit too.. cocky? or overconfident?

He doesn't take guys that aren't "his" type of players, but it doesnt look like we've gone far with his view of rebuilding, and in all fairness, Ribeiro is still a great player that could MOST LIKELY lead our team in points. Yes, Ribeiro does have "attitude" problems but so does/did Phaneuf AND Kessel. So what made Brian Burke so reluctant from getting a servicable TOP LINE centre.

May I also add: Now with the rumour of Kabby's dad saying he won't resign in T.O. if Wilson is still there makes the situation look even worse.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Leafssss: 08-21-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Because Ribeiro is not exactly the shining example of class and character. Sure he'd put up points but guess what? If he's not liked by his teammates and coaches due to his actions.. It leads to bad things.

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 06:44 PM
HTFN

Because "Burke Players" aren't the only way to win, and Burke fails to realize that.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 06:46 PM
NomNom
Oh Yeah

Send a message via Skype™ to NomNom
Ribeiro is a quite a talented player, but Brian Burke made the right choice here.

At this point, a Ribeiro type of player is not what the Leafs need. Ribeiro, is the type of player you try to obtain when trying to fill out the last remaining pieces for a cup run. Obviously this is not where the Leafs are in development at this time.

If Nieuwendyk offered one of Dallas's prospects, then you talk.

Also for those questioning Mikes character, you'll need to watch him play a bit. He has matured quite a bit from his Montreal days. Also, a pairing of Reibero and Kessel would be a treat to watch.

NomNom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
I don't blame Burke. Many posters here from both sides of the fan base suggested Ribero plus anyway. Certainly not straight up.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Robert Theodorson

Burke is an absolute genius for putting Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger on the same team to win a championship. Who among you would have thought of that in 1000 years? F'in nobody, that's who.

It's best not to question Burke.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 06:51 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomNomNom View Post
Ribeiro is a quite a talented player, but Brian Burke made the right choice here.

At this point, a Ribeiro type of player is not what the Leafs need. Ribeiro, is the type of player you try to obtain when trying to fill out the last remaining pieces for a cup run. Obviously this is not where the Leafs are in development at this time.

Except the Leafs are not rebuilding. They want to win and want to win now. Thats the way Burke has been operating and was only sellers at the deadline because they were the worst team in the NHL. Burke even said last season that he expected the Leafs to make the playoffs and unlike most rebuilding teams, the Leafs are spending way past the cap so don't consider them anywhere near rebuilding mode. The fact they were link to Savard should show you that they are interested in players that could help them win now and Ribeiro for Kabs (if that was really the deal) would help the Leafs team next year.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 06:51 PM
seanlinden

Right or wrong.... Ribeiro doesn't / didn't fit in with the team he's trying to build. Meanwhile, he would've been an upgrade on Bozak/Kadri/Schenn, but also would've blocked their development.

He's trying to make the playoffs now, but at the same time putting pieces together for a long term run.... so while many of you will try and assess trades based on some arbitrary value, the reality is that BB is problably looking for extremely specific players.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 06:52 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
I don't blame Burke. Many posters here from both sides of the fan base suggested Ribero plus anyway. Certainly not straight up.
What? They were? No Stars fan would've been happy with Ribeiro for Kaberle alone, whether or not that's what Nieuwendyk was offering.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 06:57 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Right or wrong.... Ribeiro doesn't / didn't fit in with the team he's trying to build. Meanwhile, he would've been an upgrade on Bozak/Kadri/Schenn, but also would've blocked their development.

He's trying to make the playoffs now, but at the same time putting pieces together for a long term run.... so while many of you will try and assess trades based on some arbitrary value, the reality is that BB is problably looking for extremely specific players.
just out of curiosity why did you add Schenn?

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post

He's trying to make the playoffs now
, but at the same time putting pieces together for a long term run.... so while many of you will try and assess trades based on some arbitrary value, the reality is that BB is problably looking for extremely specific players.
Read what you just posted here. Contradictory, no?

Bottom line, the center position in Toronto could have become questionably respectable rather than bottom 5 in the NHL.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
What? They were? No Stars fan would've been happy with Ribeiro for Kaberle alone, whether or not that's what Nieuwendyk was offering.
Thought I saw posts saying Kaberle for Ribero + 2nd. Guess that was just our fanbase then.

Old
08-21-2010, 07:06 PM
jamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomNomNom View Post

Also for those questioning Mikes character, you'll need to watch him play a bit. He has matured quite a bit from his Montreal days. Also, a pairing of Reibero and Kessel would be a treat to watch.
You can't "rebuild" when you don't have picks. Burke wants to "retool" the team. He doesn't have a proven 1st line center and he has one too many defenseman. If this deal was really proposed it is ridiculous he didn't make it, if only to prevent a division rival to get another lottery pick. Without Kaberle though Komisarek would have been far less useful to the Leafs, he needs an offensively gifted guy like Markov or Kaberle next to him to start the attack and make him look good.

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Seguins Dragon*

If this true...

Leaf fans should be PISSED!!!!!!

I know I would.

I hate Ribeiro, but the guy has talent, and is a very good play maker... Ribeiro + Kessel would have been magic I am sure...

As a Boston fan, I am thrilled and excited Burke passed on this... Tank Nation LIVES!!!!

Toronto's biggest flaw to their team without a doubt is forward depth, specifically at the center position... Ribeiro is at least a legit #1 Center or would at least enstill more confidence in me if I was a Leaf fan rather than Bozak or Kadri...

And about "hampering their development"... well, what is more determental... to throw these kids into the fire with the world on their shoulders as the leafs are planning this year... or give them a chance to properly develop...

I think the later.

Good job Brian, keep up the good work, Chia and Co LOVE IT!!!!

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:08 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

a) ribeiro is 30 years old, and that doesn't really mesh well with Toronto attempting to get add young pieces (since they don't want to use the term rebuild).

b) Toronto has a glut of centres. Five of them as it is IIRC.

c) Ribeiro's kind of a dick, and you know how Burke is about intangibles.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Jwm1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Thought I saw posts saying Kaberle for Ribero + 2nd. Guess that was just our fanbase then.
i look at both of your posts and just have to laugh....not at you of course...but just the fact that what you posted explains most TO fans to a tee...

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
Because "Burke Players" aren't the only way to win, and Burke fails to realize that.

It's the only way to him.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:11 PM
TMLeafer

Why trade a player on a good contract in Kaberle for a soft player with a questionable character who gets paid more for longer.

There's more to consider than simply a player's position and point totals.

And all of you making smartass comments about Burke players and not questioning Burke: If you get your head out of the sand and listen to what Burke has said regarding his team's composition, he has said that the top 6 can consist of finesse players and they don't need to be big, hulking forwards. He's willing to compromise on player size, but perhaps not on character.

The point of trading Kaberle was to get a young forward to help the team's offense. Not to take on bad contracts or questionable players. Why put yourself into that trap?

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Meganuck*

Character players?

Kessel, Grabovski and Phaneuf.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwm1986 View Post
i look at both of your posts and just have to laugh....not at you of course...but just the fact that what you posted explains most TO fans to a tee...
Go on. I feel like I only got a short description of your thoughts.

Every fanbase has its flaws, yours for sure does.

Old
08-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Ribiero would help the leafs offense, no doubt, but looking at things strategically, Burke made the right move by not taking him for Kaberle.

If he hangs on to him and Kaberle plays well, Burke will get a decent deal around the deadline.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Wilma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Character players?

One of these things is not like the others...

(starts with a K)

Wilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Moobles

Quote:
Character players?

Well to be fair, if you had Riberio in the mix things might just blow apart. Perhaps it's like that Simpsons episode where Burns has every disease stuck in a metaphorical doorway. They got plenty of egos stuck in the doorway, but it's just perfect: room for not one more.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Character players?

I almost made a counter argument until I saw which team you supported.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moobles View Post
Well to be fair, if you had Riberio in the mix things might just blow apart. Perhaps it's like that Simpsons episode where Burns has every disease stuck in a metaphorical doorway. They got plenty of egos stuck in the doorway, but it's just perfect: room for not one more.
Haha. Well said. It's definately going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote