HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Why Didn't Burke Take It and Run?

Old
08-22-2010, 07:06 AM
htpwn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrageous Leafs Fan View Post
Dallas Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk has confirmed that the Stars have pulled out of the Kaberle sweepstakes. It had been rumoured that Dallas had offered forward Mike Ribeiro, but that wasn't enough for Leafs GM Brian Burke. Ribeiro isn't a Burke type of player anyways, he lacks truculence and character.
I'll just bold this...

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Temppu

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
kaberle is overrated yes but burke probably knows what to do, ribeiro is somewhat old, expensive and not that great to start with, definitely not someone you want to build a team around ... it's probably better fot the leafs to look at someone 25 with potential
Soooooo..... Kaberle is young, but Ribeiro is old?

And you want to get somebody close to age 25, who is fills number one center position and has some potential. For Kaberle? Who is 33 and UFA in end of next season?

Maybe at trade deadline? -Yes, because every team who are going for the cup need to add PMD, as they don't have one, yet they still are in playoffs or close to getting in. Same time they want to get rid of 25 year old number 1 or 2 center, with potential.

And all this when the team has too much D-mans. This team also wants to win NOW. They don't have number 1 center, or nothing even close to that. They get offered one, but they don't take it, as they are more willing to just wait Kaberle to leave or take 2nd and mid-level prospect for him.

How hard is it to see that Toronto is not very well built team right now? It would be ok, but their GM keeps insisting that they are going have playoff-spot this year.

Temppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:13 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
I think the Leafs would have preferred Neal over Ribeiro.

But Ribeiro is not the type of center the Leafs need. They need a big center, that's what they're looking for.
Well yeah, but Kaberle doesn't bring back a Neal type player. There are very few players in this league that do at this point.

That said, Burke probably made the right call on this one. Not saying he'll get a better individual player in return for Kaberle right now, but he'll probably get a better overall package (late first + decent prospect).

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:19 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
As much as I like making leaf fans annoyed. Kaberle is batter then rib and kaberle could help schenn

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Darylman

Wow. Can't believe anyone in here is advocating Ribeiro.

Think of when you are a kid and the team is distracted by having "that guy" in the dressing room. That's him. The entire reason for getting rid of all the dead wood in the dressing room was to begin again with a fresh new team concept, not to introduce guys like this.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Temppu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
Wow. Can't believe anyone in here is advocating Ribeiro.

Think of when you are a kid and the team is distracted by having "that guy" in the dressing room. That's him. The entire reason for getting rid of all the dead wood in the dressing room was to begin again with a fresh new team concept, not to introduce guys like this.
Yes, Kessel and Phaneuf are known to be great mentors and having brilliant dressing room act.

Although with this I make bad argument: as you already have this kind of guys, it does not mean that you should bring more them in.

Temppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Darylman

Kessel is known for being standoffish and extremely shy. Phaneuf is known for being precisely the opposite.

In Phaneuf's first week in Toronto, he took Kessel to a Raptor's game. I dunno, that screams leadership to me.

The dynamic is different here than it was in Calgary. Phaneuf is now THE guy, as opposed to acting like the guy, but really being behind the shadow of Iginla and Reggy

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:16 AM
arctic79

Just want to point out that there is more then one GM in Toronto, there is every sports news journalist and rumourist (Eklund) focused on this team and what is Burke supposed to say or do when asked about any player or deal, he usually gives them the answer he is supposed to, win now and not give assets up for things that do not help the team. Also remember he is still coping with the mess he came into (ie. Grabovski, Finger).
Burke is not perfect but he is doing a better job then JF jr, Fletcher, and Quinn.

arctic79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
a) ribeiro is 30 years old, and that doesn't really mesh well with Toronto attempting to get add young pieces (since they don't want to use the term rebuild).

b) Toronto has a glut of centres. Five of them as it is IIRC.

c) Ribeiro's kind of a dick, and you know how Burke is about intangibles.
Not trying to be a jerk - but how are Ribiero's "intangibles" significantly worse that Kessel's, a guy that BB paid a huge price to get?

Ribiero is a legit 1st line center - something the Leaf's desperately need. I like Kaberle's game - but I'd think that RIbiero would be the upper end of what TK could get back in a deal. And I think that if DAL didn't have ownership issues and was looking to move salary - it's unlikely that one year of Kaberle could get Ribiero locked up long term at a decent cap #.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:31 AM
BlueStorm

Kessel got shipped out of Boston because his team mates couldn't stand him. He has had serious personality issues since before he was drafted.
Kessel is a work in progress, Burke doesn't need two of these types of players on his team. Why not bring in Avery to complete their first line lol.
Ribeiro has 3 years left @ $5 million per remaining. I would rather they wait another year and try to sign Brad Richards, Joe Thornton, David backes or Semin.

BlueStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:39 AM
BlueStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic79 View Post
Just want to point out that there is more then one GM in Toronto, there is every sports news journalist and rumourist (Eklund) focused on this team and what is Burke supposed to say or do when asked about any player or deal, he usually gives them the answer he is supposed to, win now and not give assets up for things that do not help the team. Also remember he is still coping with the mess he came into (ie. Grabovski, Finger).
Burke is not perfect but he is doing a better job then JF jr, Fletcher, and Quinn.
Sorry, I have to disagree. Fletcher was there 91-97 and gave us Gilmour and the 93 playoffs then Sundin. Quinn had a lot of playoff success as well. JF jr was a Canadiens plant sent to ruin our team.

BlueStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:44 AM
KrugLife
Registered Champion

I'm glad he didnt pull the trigger on that one

KrugLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:51 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post

It's the only way to him.
Burkie gets too much credit for the Ducks Cup, and Bryan Murray didn;t get enough...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguination View Post
I'm glad he didnt pull the trigger on that one
me too brotha... me too

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:20 AM
BeautyDuster

1) Brian Burke is a Harvard Lawyer
2) Brian Burke has been a NHL GM for 10+ years
3) Brian Burke has won a Stanley Cup (whether he is 100% responsible for it you can whine and moan waah wahh wahh)
4) Brian Burke is the GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs
5) As such he will build his team the way he wants to.

Who are you to say you know better?

You're a poster on HFBoards, therefore you in all likelihood don't. Unless its 2-4 years later and you try to tell everyone you were so much smarter than (insert GM) after they've been canned.

Edit: And why does everyone whine about Burke saying "we're going to make the playoffs"?
What else do you expect him to say? "We're going to mail it in this year"? No. Regardless of what he says if you can't see that the Leafs are vastly improved and better poised for the future in comparison to when he took over, then you've got your hate on.

BeautyDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Love all these HF geniuses that seem to think Ribeiro is some kind of locker room cancer, that his teammates don't like him, and of course, like trained animals, always bring up his incident in Montreal.

Burke is a moron if he actually turned away getting a #1 center on a good contract for a one-dimensional(but a very good dimension for sure) puck moving d-man set to become a free agent after this season. As a Stars fan, I'm very happy Burke said no if this was actually offered.

-Vagrant
Chaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:23 AM
NewFang

Rumor has it that Dallas has been trying to dump Ribeiro on literally every team in the NHL.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Rumor has it that Dallas has been trying to dump Ribeiro on literally every team in the NHL.
Dump him? Absolutely not. Trying to dangle a relatively affordable #1 center to improve the defense? Sure. There's a massive difference there.

Chaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:36 AM
WWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
We're on the same side and I'm usually a Burke backer but this is crazy. I think any moron would would want to put those guys on a team and think they had a good chance of winning.

I'll take an older Kaberle with a pissed off father over Ribeiro any day of the week.
Any moron might think of doing this, but only Burke actually made it happen. Burkie may not be doing this the way everybody wants him to, but he has a winning track record so lets give him his time to do his thing. No way in hell the Leafs should trade Kaberle for Ribiero.

WWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:38 AM
projexns
Winnipeg White-Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post

It's the only way to him.

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:44 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Dallas Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk has confirmed that the Stars have pulled out of the Kaberle sweepstakes. It had been rumoured that Dallas had offered forward Mike Ribeiro, but that wasn't enough for Leafs GM Brian Burke. Ribeiro isn't a Burke type of player anyways, he lacks truculence and character.

Sportsnet

It seems to me as though Burke is a little bit too.. cocky? or overconfident?

He doesn't take guys that aren't "his" type of players, but it doesnt look like we've gone far with his view of rebuilding, and in all fairness, Ribeiro is still a great player that could MOST LIKELY lead our team in points. Yes, Ribeiro does have "attitude" problems but so does/did Phaneuf AND Kessel. So what made Brian Burke so reluctant from getting a servicable TOP LINE centre.

May I also add: Now with the rumour of Kabby's dad saying he won't resign in T.O. if Wilson is still there makes the situation look even worse.

Thoughts?
Thank you Brian Burke for not trading Kaberle for Ribero. This is another example of why I am thankful Burke is running the team not JFJ, Fletcher, Quinn, or delusional Leaf fans.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:51 AM
yohan1212

Burke is an arrogant all talk GM... Love his "BIG SPLASH" on July1.... LOL.. Looks to me Burke wants to and definitely is going to give boston another top five pick in 11... Thanks BB!!

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:51 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Sportsnet

It seems to me as though Burke is a little bit too.. cocky? or overconfident?

He doesn't take guys that aren't "his" type of players, but it doesnt look like we've gone far with his view of rebuilding, and in all fairness, Ribeiro is still a great player that could MOST LIKELY lead our team in points. Yes, Ribeiro does have "attitude" problems but so does/did Phaneuf AND Kessel. So what made Brian Burke so reluctant from getting a servicable TOP LINE centre.

May I also add: Now with the rumour of Kabby's dad saying he won't resign in T.O. if Wilson is still there makes the situation look even worse.

Thoughts?
I think that you need to look up "rumour" in the dictionary.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:56 AM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
Burke is an arrogant all talk GM... Love his "BIG SPLASH" on July1.... LOL.. Looks to me Burke wants to and definitely is going to give boston another top five pick in 11... Thanks BB!!

Are you some kind of fortune teller?

Grow up man, the season hasn't even started.

91Kadri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:02 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Burkie gets too much credit for the Ducks Cup, and Bryan Murray didn;t get enough...
Yeah, bringing in Pronger and Neidermayer, two of the best defensemen that have ever played, is seriously overated.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote