HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Awkward time for Leafs

Old
08-22-2010, 09:52 AM
birddog*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s h a n Y e View Post
When the writer highlights the problem, then poses a solution of Mike Comrie, he displays a serious lack of hockey knowledge. Which leads me to speculate, as is often the case with many writers around this town - that they know jack about hockey.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:51 AM
gurisleafs

Another negative article from dave fuller, this guy is a real idiot along with simmons

gurisleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzie View Post
There's no problem.

Full stop
No need to be in denial. there's an obvious problem.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Ritzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie79 View Post
The only problem is the inability of people to keep Kaberle's name outta their mouth.

There's a full season ahead. Kabs is under contract. If he wants to "provide a list", go right ahead. If there's a deal that makes sense BB will make it. If not, Tomas remains a Leaf for the rest of the season (and playoff run )

All this guy has said in his time as a Leaf (literally) is that he wants to be a Leaf! Why this would truly change in the last year of his deal doesn't make sense. He'll be nice and comfortable this year and then have plenty of teams to choose from on the open market if he doesn't want to return.

If he goes elsewhere, the Leafs have additional cap room and young players ready to step up with the big club. Some of these kids are going to be ready soon.

I'm sick of this contrived, "the sky is falling" BS. I'm pretty sure BB isn't half as concerned as most fans or writers concerning the allegiance of Tomas.

Last edited by Ritzie: 08-22-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: grammar
Ritzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:02 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
If you waive Kaberle, then you won't get anything for him anyways. Every team in the league would want him for free.
Burke should have accepted a trade for Kaberle then flip that 1st + the prospect to another team and add another piece to get the #1 forward if needed.

Toronto loves giving players away for nothing.

Sundin
Antropov
Poni
Kabina
Kaberle ?

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Crazy Vaclav
Put it in H

This is the longest offseason ever.

Crazy Vaclav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post
Burke should have accepted a trade for Kaberle then flip that 1st + the prospect to another team and add another piece to get the #1 forward if needed.

Toronto loves giving players away for nothing.

Sundin
Antropov
Poni
Kabina
Kaberle ?
Losing Antropov hurt this team a lot more than people want to admit imo.

Jerkini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:49 PM
TMLrBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie79 View Post

No kidding. People act like everything is A OK with Kabs, but we'll still be able to get Savard for free because there are huge problems in Boston.

Now that Kabs Sr. has chirped to the media, the worms are leaving the can. Do we actually think Kabs and Wilson will be fine? Dion won't have an opinion that he speaks before he thinks? Sides won't be taken amongst players and media? This has the potential to divide a team that can't afford any losing streaks like last year.

Burke needs to suck it up and get rid of Kabs somehow. If this team implodes it's on his back even if he fires Wilson.

TMLrBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Dutch Dreams

It's funny that they mention a mess, as Burke has done a brilliant job of stripping this team of; bad contracts, and loser players, as well as doing something with our prospect pool and bringing in legitimate top-line/pairing players.

If there's a mess right now, then Burke's already cleaned out the horde and is just coming across bits of trash that he missed.

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 02:23 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLrBest View Post
No kidding. People act like everything is A OK with Kabs,
Some people call it rational thought. You should try it

I honestly don't understand how anyone thinks anything other than this guy wants to retire a Leaf... how do you come to any other 'rational' conclusion? What are you basing this on?

The Apologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 02:51 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Some people call it rational thought. You should try it

I honestly don't understand how anyone thinks anything other than this guy wants to retire a Leaf... how do you come to any other 'rational' conclusion? What are you basing this on?
Public statements from his father?

Just be glad you have the Toronto Sun, and Not the Ottawa Sun. They put up polls asking if player 'X' should be traded - then use the voting (including a massive number of votes from fans of rival teams) as 'evidence' that the player should be traded.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 02:53 PM
beamer67

That was the lamest article I have ever read from the sun. It is apparent that the writer really has no idea what he is talking about. All his conclusions are based on supposition and rumor and fact had no part in this piece of garbage at all. Brian wasn't actively trying to get rid of Kaberle, he was simply exploring an avenue that presented itself because conditions came about that allowed for it. If leafs had made the playoffs, this would never had been the case. As every competent GM would, the possible chance to enhance his team should always be explored. The opportunity did not arise so he decided not to go forward with any offers that were made. If you want too enhance your standard of living do you take a job with less money, benefits, and job security? I would think not. Same thing here. Brian opted for the better choice which was to keep the player because he represents a better choice than any of the offers he has received. Simple as that there much else to it. These so called media experts are just trying to create more work for them because otherwise they are useless.

beamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:01 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
Public statements from his father?

Just be glad you have the Toronto Sun, and Not the Ottawa Sun. They put up polls asking if player 'X' should be traded - then use the voting (including a massive number of votes from fans of rival teams) as 'evidence' that the player should be traded.

So his father's opinion is what we are basing all this on? What else does this guy have to do to show that he wants to be a Leaf? He blocks trades, had his agent basically sabotage the entire process right on the deadline to decrease any potential value Burke MIGHT get, yet everyone is gung ho on the fact that this guy wants out...

I almost feel like I'm watching Fox News here... no matter how much the evidence points to contrary, people will still roll with the same crap....

Old
08-22-2010, 03:05 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer67 View Post
That was the lamest article I have ever read from the sun. It is apparent that the writer really has no idea what he is talking about. All his conclusions are based on supposition and rumor and fact had no part in this piece of garbage at all. Brian wasn't actively trying to get rid of Kaberle, he was simply exploring an avenue that presented itself because conditions came about that allowed for it. If leafs had made the playoffs, this would never had been the case. As every competent GM would, the possible chance to enhance his team should always be explored. The opportunity did not arise so he decided not to go forward with any offers that were made. If you want too enhance your standard of living do you take a job with less money, benefits, and job security? I would think not. Same thing here. Brian opted for the better choice which was to keep the player because he represents a better choice than any of the offers he has received. Simple as that there much else to it. These so called media experts are just trying to create more work for them because otherwise they are useless.
Listen, there is no room for sense in this thread. Kaberle is as good as gone, face it. I'll make up something later and publish it to prove it.

Old
08-22-2010, 03:16 PM
kyle747

Quote:
So his father's opinion is what we are basing all this on? What else does this guy have to do to show that he wants to be a Leaf? He blocks trades, had his agent basically sabotage the entire process right on the deadline to decrease any potential value Burke MIGHT get, yet everyone is gung ho on the fact that this guy wants out...

I almost feel like I'm watching Fox News here... no matter how much the evidence points to contrary, people will still roll with the same crap....
Well, you can't say it's completely unreasonable for him to be thinking about a trade, given the comments by his agent and Father in recent days.

Maybe he didn't want a trade then and does now, people change their minds about things.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:35 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
Well, you can't say it's completely unreasonable for him to be thinking about a trade, given the comments by his agent and Father in recent days.

Maybe he didn't want a trade then and does now, people change their minds about things.
Unreasonable no, unlikely? Yes.

Let's see:
"As corny as it sounds, he believes he is part of the solution," Kaberle's agent, Rick Curran, said Wednesday.

"He's been there and shared the frustration with his teammates when they've struggled at times, but he truly believes it's just a matter of time before they enjoy some success and he wants to be there for that. It's really nothing more complicated than that."

Yup, sounds like he wants out. But wait, let's ask Kaberle:
"There's no strategies," Kaberle said Wednesday. "I play here and this is the team I'd like to play for."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...to-hang-around

And that article with his agent?

The only thing that Tomas gets upset about is this, Curran said. For anyone who knows him, hes a very quiet, laid-back, conservative young man. He has made it very clear what his intentions are. He wants to stay in Toronto. He recognizes that hes a chattel, that he can be moved. If thats the case, then move him.

Over the last two or three years, its been brought to my attention that he had the ability to move somewhere but hed have to approve, and each and every time, he said, I dont want to leave Toronto, Curran said. Many of his friends, his colleagues, in some cases ourselves, we would talk about whether it might be in his best interest. He would continue to say, I made a commitment to Toronto. Its where I want to stay.

Of course, I would, Curran said. Why would I not? Its not like he wanted to leave Toronto. Every time hes asked, hes said, Id like to stay in Toronto.
Why does Kaberle love Toronto so much? Why would he want to stay when the talk is so often about his departure?

Thats the kind of kid that he is, Curran said. Hes not a carpetbagger. Hes not looking to go running around for the big money anywhere or anything. And again, its kind of one of the reasons why hes just so disappointed at the way things are going.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...skaberle081110

So other than the comments from his dad, where does everyone get the impression he wants out? Certainly wasn't from his agent

Old
08-22-2010, 03:50 PM
BlueStFX

I'm really tired of all of this. The media has pushed this so far, and the media are the individuals responsible for any mess that may come from this situation. Do people honestly believe that Kaberle and Burke are not on the same page? There are things that none of us have heard of that happen behind closed doors. Kaberle wasn't even shopped as people are saying. He was available if the right offer came around. He isn't desperate to lose this guy, but at the same time he will accept a trade that is worth his value. This has been my exact mindset as well. I have always said that I would love to see Kabs remain a Leaf, but if we got something fair and equal in return for him, I would be just as happy... no more, no less. It is the gigantic fan-base and the media that have caused the situation to escalate(if it is indeed getting worse). Unfortunately, the media can be very manipulative at times.. especially when there is a large source of individuals following the leafs to feed garbage to. The potential benifits that can come from creating headlines about the Leafs is very appealing, and you can bet many of these individuals are taking advantage of everything that has happened with regard to the entire Kaberle situation.

BlueStFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:57 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStFX View Post
I'm really tired of all of this. The media has pushed this so far, and the media are the individuals responsible for any mess that may come from this situation. Do people honestly believe that Kaberle and Burke are not on the same page? There are things that none of us have heard of that happen behind closed doors. Kaberle wasn't even shopped as people are saying. He was available if the right offer came around. He isn't desperate to lose this guy, but at the same time he will accept a trade that is worth his value. This has been my exact mindset as well. I have always said that I would love to see Kabs remain a Leaf, but if we got something fair and equal in return for him, I would be just as happy... no more, no less. It is the gigantic fan-base and the media that have caused the situation to escalate(if it is indeed getting worse). Unfortunately, the media can be very manipulative at times.. especially when there is a large source of individuals following the leafs to feed garbage to. The potential benifits that can come from creating headlines about the Leafs is very appealing, and you can bet many of these individuals are taking advantage of everything that has happened with regard to the entire Kaberle situation.
VERY well said. I agree completely. I would be perfectly content is TK retired a Leaf. I HONESTLY believe this is what Kaberle AND Burke want as well. He has always stated that it would take a deal that knocked his socks off to trade TK, and obviously that deal never came.

Old
08-22-2010, 04:10 PM
BlueStFX

Quote:
VERY well said. I agree completely. I would be perfectly content is TK retired a Leaf. I HONESTLY believe this is what Kaberle AND Burke want as well. He has always stated that it would take a deal that knocked his socks off to trade TK, and obviously that deal never came.

ty

BlueStFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:36 PM
TyBOZAK*

Burke said he'd rather trade the team then fire wilson.

TyBOZAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:47 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBOZAK View Post
???

What is this exactly? What does it have to do with anything?

Old
08-22-2010, 06:26 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
that is what bugs me a lot about this city. most sportswriters represent the fans and city itself, and there`s a common opinion shared by both (i`ve noticed this especially in smaller market cities). Toronto is just all over the place. we`re polluted with garbage writers. it`s sad that all these morons can just print whatever they want.

Eklund > Toronto Sun
Thanks for saying that. I've been beyond frustrated with Toronto's sports writers for years. They spew their solid waste under the guise of representing the fans. It's beyond ludicrous and I'm very much looking forward to writers like Simmons and Cox to retire already.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBOZAK View Post
He's already traded the team. Only one option left...

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:31 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Do you honestly believe Kaberle (or Wilson) would still be with the team right now if there was a problem? Burke would have fixed that a week ago.
I have to agree with this. With so much media attention on the whole Kaberle-Wilson situation, Burke would obviously look into it. If there was any problem that would effect the team at all, you'd have to assume Burke would deal with it. He could have just accepted one of the better offers last week and got rid of any problem instantly.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:58 PM
tokenmetalhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s h a n Y e View Post
How they even let Dave Fuller near a pen and paper to write out his articles is beyond me. This guy has written many of the most trashy, biased articles I have ever had the displeasure to read. Not only are his attempts at black humour by bashing the Leafs just not-funny, he is fuelling unnecessary propaganda-driven fires by posting trite such as this. Insinuating Kaberle is an infection, his whole analogy for the workplace with a Ron Wilson-lookalike boss, not giving any good reason for the player moving on besides "his time here is done"-exactly what this city needs. More reporters that have personal agendas and try to run players out of town. I have been reading this guy's articles in the Sun since I started watching hockey, about 17 or so years ago. I've never liked them, not as a 12-year old, not as a teenager and definitely not now as I approach my 30's. Please don't pay this guy any attention, he is one of the most shameful of Toronto sports beat writers.

tokenmetalhead* is offline   Reply With Quote