HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Awkward time for Leafs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-22-2010, 08:04 PM
  #76
Ritzie
Registered User
 
Ritzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLrBest View Post
No kidding. People act like everything is A OK with Kabs, but we'll still be able to get Savard for free because there are huge problems in Boston.

Now that Kabs Sr. has chirped to the media, the worms are leaving the can. Do we actually think Kabs and Wilson will be fine? Dion won't have an opinion that he speaks before he thinks? Sides won't be taken amongst players and media? This has the potential to divide a team that can't afford any losing streaks like last year.

Burke needs to suck it up and get rid of Kabs somehow. If this team implodes it's on his back even if he fires Wilson.
To think that if Kabs is unhappy it'll bring the team down is laughable. If he truly is unhappy, he'll be moved or won't be resigned. He'll be pretty lonely sulking in the corner. This is a new young team, with new leadership. He may have a hard time finding a crew to take-up his cause.

Ritzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:15 PM
  #77
tokenmetalhead*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
Thanks for saying that. I've been beyond frustrated with Toronto's sports writers for years. They spew their solid waste under the guise of representing the fans. It's beyond ludicrous and I'm very much looking forward to writers like Simmons and Cox to retire already.
I agree wholeheartedly about Simmons and Cox. Both guys are blowhards that seem to just get their rocks off bashing the team. Cox not quite as much as the king of smarm, Mr. Steve Simmons, but Cox gets an idea in his head (usually a stupid one, involving a player on the TML's being traded) and doesn't let go. Dave Fuller, the guy who wrote the article the OP posted, is another of the terrible writers (actually a main representative) that have been giving Toronto media such a terrible name.

I didn't mind Al Strachan (back in the day anyways) because he gave more of an unbiased P.O.V. than many other writers, especially on the Sun. In fact, I remember Al Strachan and Scott Morrison being the only guys who seemed to write their articles based around the truth rather than what their own hopes and petty jealousies transpired to against the Leafs.

I wonder why mainstream media here (specifically the Sun, Star, Globe & Mail, etc.) hasn't tried changing things around, there are plenty of intelligent hockey fans in Toronto (writing blogs or other internet pieces, for example) that would be much better, impartial news writers deserving of the "ins" that hacks like Damien Cox have.

tokenmetalhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:16 PM
  #78
leafsfan1587
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Do you honestly believe Kaberle (or Wilson) would still be with the team right now if there was a problem? Burke would have fixed that a week ago.
I agree with one of the other poster's post ; if Kaberle and Wilson had some kind of tension between them, Kabs would have jetted off to some other city the first chance he got.

The Sun is just a cheap, horrible, imitation of the Toronto Sun/National Post. Their class is represented by the pictures of the girls at the back. >_>

leafsfan1587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:24 PM
  #79
02m3smg
Registered User
 
02m3smg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 809
vCash: 500
Fuller's the guy that took someone's else translation without citing it.

Then the Toronto Sun defended his actions. Twice. In one week. Not illegal, but awfully unethical.

They have a thing against normal fans like ourselves that occasionally blog. They need to get off their high horse.

I feel for Dave Hodge who has had to mediate the trade deadline show with Cox, Simmons and another moron all sitting by the same desk.

02m3smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:25 PM
  #80
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,350
vCash: 500
Weird, its suddenly very silent in here....

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 09:38 PM
  #81
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,481
vCash: 500
If Kaberle is going to be as much of a distraction as this idiot seems to think, Burke would have traded him. Simple as that.

It's not like Burke is waiting for a better offer. That's obviously not coming and Burke's not stupid.

So I have to assume that Burke was being true to his word when he said he'll try to sign Kaberle to an extension.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:27 AM
  #82
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
does it really have to be explained why 1 more year of Kaberle>>>>>>>>>>>>waive him for nothing just to lose a year of his contract.
I agree he shouldn't be waived.

But he definitely should have been moved for whatever they could get before his no trade clause kicked back in.

Now you have a player who doesn't feel wanted any more, a coach who he doesn't like, UFA status coming up and no chance of him resigning.

They blew this badly.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:31 AM
  #83
Federko
Registered User
 
Federko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStFX View Post
I'm really tired of all of this. The media has pushed this so far, and the media are the individuals responsible for any mess that may come from this situation. Do people honestly believe that Kaberle and Burke are not on the same page? There are things that none of us have heard of that happen behind closed doors. Kaberle wasn't even shopped as people are saying. He was available if the right offer came around. He isn't desperate to lose this guy, but at the same time he will accept a trade that is worth his value. This has been my exact mindset as well. I have always said that I would love to see Kabs remain a Leaf, but if we got something fair and equal in return for him, I would be just as happy... no more, no less. It is the gigantic fan-base and the media that have caused the situation to escalate(if it is indeed getting worse). Unfortunately, the media can be very manipulative at times.. especially when there is a large source of individuals following the leafs to feed garbage to. The potential benifits that can come from creating headlines about the Leafs is very appealing, and you can bet many of these individuals are taking advantage of everything that has happened with regard to the entire Kaberle situation.
Your blinders are on if you honestly believe Burke wasen't shopping Kaberle.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:33 AM
  #84
Federko
Registered User
 
Federko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
???

What is this exactly? What does it have to do with anything?
No need for a post like this. The poster was right - Burke said he'd trade the entire team before he'd fire Wilson. It's ok if someone makes a post that's a bit off topic - and it's fully ok if someone makes a post that goes against what you think

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:40 AM
  #85
LecavalierToLeafs
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie79 View Post
Your blinders are on if you honestly believe Burke wasen't shopping Kaberle.
I think the word "shopping" has gotten a bad rep. around here. It's not like Burke wanted this to turn into the giant media frenzy that it did. Obviously the other GM's knew that Kaberle was on the table. They don't have to read it on tsn.ca, or hear it on the fan590. More than anything, we ourselves on this board whipped ourselves into a frenzy over the whole thing. Burke was shopping Kaberle, but it really wasn't that big of a deal.

LecavalierToLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:52 AM
  #86
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sensational View Post
I think the word "shopping" has gotten a bad rep. around here. It's not like Burke wanted this to turn into the giant media frenzy that it did. Obviously the other GM's knew that Kaberle was on the table. They don't have to read it on tsn.ca, or hear it on the fan590. More than anything, we ourselves on this board whipped ourselves into a frenzy over the whole thing. Burke was shopping Kaberle, but it really wasn't that big of a deal.
It isn't a big deal. It happens all the time.

Burke didn't have to go advertising it in the media if he didn't want to though. I think he likes the sound of his own voice a lot.

As you said, everyone knew Kaberle was on the table.. which obviously means he was being shopped around. That isn't a negative thing just a fact of life in the NHL sometimes.

He really did blow this badly though... now that Kaberle has his NTC even if the Leafs get something for him it will end up being less than what they could have gotten this summer.

No GM is going to give up a lot for a rental player and Kaberle would be crazy not to test the market with the crazy amounts being thrown around to players who aren't as talented.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:21 PM
  #87
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
It isn't a big deal. It happens all the time.

Burke didn't have to go advertising it in the media if he didn't want to though. I think he likes the sound of his own voice a lot.

As you said, everyone knew Kaberle was on the table.. which obviously means he was being shopped around. That isn't a negative thing just a fact of life in the NHL sometimes.

He really did blow this badly though... now that Kaberle has his NTC even if the Leafs get something for him it will end up being less than what they could have gotten this summer.

No GM is going to give up a lot for a rental player and Kaberle would be crazy not to test the market with the crazy amounts being thrown around to players who aren't as talented.
I think 'shopping' is entirely the wrong word. Burke stated repeatedly (for those who would actually listen to what he was saying instead of what they wanted to hear) that he was not actively shopping Kaberle. This is Toronto. Everybody knows every singel aspect of every player's contract, living arangements, shoe size. Everybody this side of the Atlantic knew about this clause long before Burke was even GM. He did state that if he received WHAT HE WANTED for Kaberle, he would consider it, as his duty as GM. You can keep saying it all you want, it doesn't change the facts. The media and the fanbase have taken this whole situation and twisted the words so far out of proportion that they actually believe their own twisted tales now.

Burke has never stated anything other than he wants Kaberle to stay a Leaf and re-sign.

Kaberle has never stated anything other than he wants to stay in Toronto.

NOBODY has ever stated that Kaberle does not like Wilson, or vise versa.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:22 PM
  #88
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie79 View Post
No need for a post like this. The poster was right - Burke said he'd trade the entire team before he'd fire Wilson. It's ok if someone makes a post that's a bit off topic - and it's fully ok if someone makes a post that goes against what you think
Link?

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:24 PM
  #89
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I agree he shouldn't be waived.

But he definitely should have been moved for whatever they could get before his no trade clause kicked back in.

Now you have a player who doesn't feel wanted any more, a coach who he doesn't like, UFA status coming up and no chance of him resigning.They blew this badly.
That is a LOT of assumptions for one post....

If you have read this entire thread and still believe any of the above, then what else can be said?

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:00 PM
  #90
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
That is a LOT of assumptions for one post....

If you have read this entire thread and still believe any of the above, then what else can be said?
I'd be willing to bet that by next year Kaberle is not a Toronto Maple Leaf.

I could be wrong.. but I really really doubt it.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:05 PM
  #91
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Burke has never stated anything other than he wants Kaberle to stay a Leaf and re-sign.


Yeah, and entertaining offers from everyone and maintaining a vigil with the media right up until around midnight when Kaberle's NTC kicks in means nothing then..

actions > words.

You don't go to the media and trumpet how you are entertaining all kinds of offers and expecting them to get better and blah blah blah for weeks when you want nothing more than for a player to resign and stay. Give me a break.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 05:21 PM
  #92
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
Should We start V15?
so tempting...lol

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 05:26 PM
  #93
enviro61
Registered User
 
enviro61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post


Yeah, and entertaining offers from everyone and maintaining a vigil with the media right up until around midnight when Kaberle's NTC kicks in means nothing then..

actions > words.

You don't go to the media and trumpet how you are entertaining all kinds of offers and expecting them to get better and blah blah blah for weeks when you want nothing more than for a player to resign and stay. Give me a break.

This

Burke was pimpin Karbele's azz hard. To even suggest otherwise is an insult to anyone with a modicum of intelligence.


Last edited by enviro61: 08-23-2010 at 05:41 PM.
enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 05:44 PM
  #94
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post


Yeah, and entertaining offers from everyone and maintaining a vigil with the media right up until around midnight when Kaberle's NTC kicks in means nothing then..

actions > words.

You don't go to the media and trumpet how you are entertaining all kinds of offers and expecting them to get better and blah blah blah for weeks when you want nothing more than for a player to resign and stay. Give me a break.
Did Burke call a press conference to "trumpet" or did he answer reporters' questions? He made it pretty clear from the beginning that teams were calling him and not the other way around because of the hole in Kaberle's NTC, which wasn't his doing.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:20 PM
  #95
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 61,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Did Burke call a press conference to "trumpet" or did he answer reporters' questions? He made it pretty clear from the beginning that teams were calling him and not the other way around because of the hole in Kaberle's NTC, which wasn't his doing.
According to reports Burke sent a personal memo/letter to 29 other NHL teams explaining exactly how Kaberle's NTC window and clause worked.

Is that a passive approach or a sign you want to keep the player?

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:25 PM
  #96
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
According to reports Burke sent a personal memo/letter to 29 other NHL teams explaining exactly how Kaberle's NTC window and clause worked.

Is that a passive approach or a sign you want to keep the player?
Neither, it was because he and Nonis didn't want to keep answering the same questions about Kaberle's NTC up to 29 times.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:26 PM
  #97
enviro61
Registered User
 
enviro61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
According to reports Burke sent a personal memo/letter to 29 other NHL teams explaining exactly how Kaberle's NTC window and clause worked.

Is that a passive approach or a sign you want to keep the player?

Burke made it pretty clear what he wanted in return for Kaberle, should they decide to deal him away.

"We're looking for a forward with size and scoring ability if possible, and if not, we have been offered what I would call futures packages, which would include a high draft pick and a quality young player," Burke explained. "We haven't ruled out doing one of those types of deals.


"There are a large number of teams in, we have received a significant number of offers, but we're talking about a pretty good player here and we're not giving him away. So it's too early to say because the [trade] deadline is on Sunday at midnight," Burke said.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...#ixzz0xTEaKGeL



Yeah...I have never seen a single player pimped around like Karberle was, never.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 07:18 PM
  #98
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post


Yeah, and entertaining offers from everyone and maintaining a vigil with the media right up until around midnight when Kaberle's NTC kicks in means nothing then..
This is Toronto. As a GM, you have no choice but to keep the media in the loop. Otherwise, they start making crap up (oh wait....) Burke was doing his duty as the GM of a Leaf mad market.

Quote:
actions > words.
Agreed. Actions dictate that Kaberle is still a Leaf. Were he being 'shopped', he would probably have gone to the highest bidder.

Quote:
You don't go to the media and trumpet how you are entertaining all kinds of offers and expecting them to get better and blah blah blah for weeks when you want nothing more than for a player to resign and stay. Give me a break.
Once again. Keeping the media informed, HOPING that this will prevent mass hysteria and BS from permeating. On that count, he failed. I think he underestimated the class of both the media and the fanbase. BAD BURKE!!

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 07:22 PM
  #99
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Did Burke call a press conference to "trumpet" or did he answer reporters' questions? He made it pretty clear from the beginning that teams were calling him and not the other way around because of the hole in Kaberle's NTC, which wasn't his doing.
Thank you, although it seems to be above everyone's head here. Imagine had he said nothing to the press? As bad as it is, as bad as his words have been twisted and distorted to death here?

Burke did what any GM would do. Everybody on the planet knew about the clause, and he mentioned that he would listen to trade offers (another one of those weird things GMs do) and would only trade Kaberle if he got what he wanted. He didn't and Kaberle is still here (as Kaberle has always wanted to be).

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 07:34 PM
  #100
enviro61
Registered User
 
enviro61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Thank you, although it seems to be above everyone's head here. Imagine had he said nothing to the press? As bad as it is, as bad as his words have been twisted and distorted to death here?

Burke did what any GM would do. Everybody on the planet knew about the clause, and he mentioned that he would listen to trade offers (another one of those weird things GMs do) and would only trade Kaberle if he got what he wanted. He didn't and Kaberle is still here (as Kaberle has always wanted to be).

When fighting from a weak position, always find a common enemy that everyone hates to deflect attention. It's so obvious the media is the 'bad guy' in all of this and BB is a victim. The way they waterboarded him to not only exit his house and speak but to force him into admitting details of what he might want if someone held a gun to his head and forced him to part with his beloved Kaberle.

I almost feel sorry for poor BB and how he is exploited by the media for its own personal gain.

What is it that everyone was 'in' on according to BB; not a sweapstakes perhaps...never

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.