HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Awkward time for Leafs

Old
08-23-2010, 06:40 PM
MarcWagz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyLeafs View Post
This is why I only read the star if any at all.
the sun is way better than the star.

Boohoo they made an article about the leafs I don't like wahh I like the star more now.

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:52 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Neither, it was because he and Nonis didn't want to keep answering the same questions about Kaberle's NTC up to 29 times.

No wonder I stick to the history of hockey forum for the most part.

BraveCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 07:02 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post

No wonder I stick to the history of hockey forum for the most part.
That was basically a direct quote from an interview with Nonis on LeafsTV.

Don't let me keep you though.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Brown Dog

I think you have to be a bit naive to think Burke wouldn't have preferred to deal Kaberle. It doesn't take much reading between the lines to see that.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 09:56 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
I think you have to be a bit naive to think Burke wouldn't have preferred to deal Kaberle. It doesn't take much reading between the lines to see that.
You'd think so.. but still they don't get it

One way or another Kaberle will be gone by next season.

Old
08-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Budsfan

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-264648

Burke speaking on the Kaberle situation.

He has talked to Tomas Kaberle and there's nothing to what his father has been saying.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:44 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-264648

Burke speaking on the Kaberle situation.

He has talked to Tomas Kaberle and there's nothing to what his father has been saying.
Bad link...what does he say?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Bad link...what does he say?
Quote:
Later, Burke had a media scrum that included his thoughts on the panel and other issues at the Summit; as well as a discussion about his attempts to trade Tomas Kaberle(notes), rumors the defenseman doesn't get along with Coach Ron Wilson and comments by Kaberle's father you may have read about in the Toronto Sun.
The Link works for me but you should be able to watch it by going to Yahoo Sports and putting Brian Burke in the search videos

Old
08-24-2010, 08:11 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
The Link works for me but you should be able to watch it by going to Yahoo Sports and putting Brian Burke in the search videos
At a Client site, probably blocked if it links to a video.

Old
08-24-2010, 08:52 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Burke had offers.

If he wanted him gone he'd be gone.

He's given away a Vezina trophy candidate, so getting something for Kaberle would have been better than nothing, and better than what he got for Bryzgalov.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:41 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWagz View Post

Boohoo they made an article about the leafs I don't like wahh I like the star more now.
The Sun is a terrible newspaper. It is written at a grade 3 or 4 level and many of the sports articles are opinion/speculation rather than fact. The guy who wrote this article even says that this article is what he thinks is happening.

I read both The Sun and The Star on a daily basis and honestly, they aren't even comparable. The content, grammer and writers for The Star are all far superior to the Toronto Sun.

Now, about the article, it is very obvious this writer doesn't know what he is talking about. Not only does he admit that his article is complete speculation ("And, the situation, I suspect, is becoming intolerable."), but he makes ridiculous suggestions like "...Burke may want to consider a fire sale. He’d free up $4.25 million in cap space he could spend on free agents Mike Comrie or Paul Kariya...". He is just speculating for the sake of speculating. There is no reason behind it or proof that any of this is true. If there really was a problem between Kaberle and Wilson, Kaberle would be long gone.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:44 AM
TheSilencer

Quote:

Really? I don't think so.

And opinions are opinions no matter what newspaper publishes it. Most of these articles are mere opinions/speculations rather than anything else. Nothing to lose sleep over.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:17 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Burke had offers.

If he wanted him gone he'd be gone.

He's given away a Vezina trophy candidate, so getting something for Kaberle would have been better than nothing, and better than what he got for Bryzgalov.
Yes he did give one away but only when he already had a proven Vezina candidate.

Bryzgalov certainly wasn't one until he left the Ducks and got a chance to be.

I really think Burke was holding out while hoping for a nice big offer for Kaberle and got his bluff called.

Old
08-24-2010, 10:29 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Yes he did give one away but only when he already had a proven Vezina candidate.

Bryzgalov certainly wasn't one until he left the Ducks and got a chance to be.

I really think Burke was holding out while hoping for a nice big offer for Kaberle and got his bluff called.
i agree in the sense that he was hoping someone would offer him something amazing but i dont really think its a "bluff" when you still benefit from keeping the asset.

kaberle on leafs = still positive
kaberle traded for crap (ie: van ryn) = negative

while we could potentially trade kaberle to fill a need somewhere else, it isnt necessary to just get rid of him for the sake of getting rid of him.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Budsfan

Good article by Howard Berger on the issue.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=29874

Quote:
“Mr. Kaberle doesn’t play for us… I say that with great respect,” Burke offered. “We’re not pouring any gasoline on that fire; he’s entitled to his view. That [problem] has never been communicated to us. I talked to Tomas’s agent, Rick Curran, today… there’s no issue as far as Tomas is concerned. And the coach isn’t going anywhere anyway. So, if there’s any other player out there that thinks he has an issue with the coach… pardon the poor grammar but the coach ain’t going anywhere.”

Though Burke also claimed Wilson has no issue with Kaberle, it’s difficult to imagine Frantisek Sr. concocting his remarks about the apparent rift… particularly given that such whispers were prominent last season. That said, Burke is entirely justified in supporting his coach, even if that coach desperately needs to avoid another calamitous start to outlast his veteran defenseman.

Whether the two can truly co-exist will be a hot topic early in training camp next month.

Old
08-24-2010, 10:40 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

If Burke truly believes there is a problem with Kaberle and Wilson he would have taken the best ofer and moved him. He obviously believes they can get along.

Old
08-24-2010, 10:45 AM
MarcWagz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
The Sun is a terrible newspaper. It is written at a grade 3 or 4 level and many of the sports articles are opinion/speculation rather than fact. The guy who wrote this article even says that this article is what he thinks is happening.

I read both The Sun and The Star on a daily basis and honestly, they aren't even comparable. The content, grammer and writers for The Star are all far superior to the Toronto Sun.

Now, about the article, it is very obvious this writer doesn't know what he is talking about. Not only does he admit that his article is complete speculation ("And, the situation, I suspect, is becoming intolerable."), but he makes ridiculous suggestions like "...Burke may want to consider a fire sale. He’d free up $4.25 million in cap space he could spend on free agents Mike Comrie or Paul Kariya...". He is just speculating for the sake of speculating. There is no reason behind it or proof that any of this is true. If there really was a problem between Kaberle and Wilson, Kaberle would be long gone.
blah blah blah.
the sun is more interesting.

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:48 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
If Burke truly believes there is a problem with Kaberle and Wilson he would have taken the best ofer and moved him. He obviously believes they can get along.
Burke did say that if Wilson had a problem with Kaberle then the player would be gone but that isn't the case.

Old
08-24-2010, 12:08 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sensational View Post
I think the word "shopping" has gotten a bad rep. around here. It's not like Burke wanted this to turn into the giant media frenzy that it did. Obviously the other GM's knew that Kaberle was on the table. They don't have to read it on tsn.ca, or hear it on the fan590. More than anything, we ourselves on this board whipped ourselves into a frenzy over the whole thing. Burke was shopping Kaberle, but it really wasn't that big of a deal.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if the team wasn't so shi*...Every Leaf fan whether they like Kaberle or not knew that this was Burke's real chance at getting a decent forward through trade. Now Kaberle will be the villain when its trade deadline time and Burke asks him to waive his NTC....just like Mats was after giving most of his career to the Leafs...makes me sick.

Kaberle has been pretty much a class-act in this town and if you're not going to trade him then he should be extended. And I think Burke is smart enough to use the media to his advantage...As if he didn't know it would be a media frenzy..cmon this is Toronto where signing a nobody from some obscure European league makes the headlines....

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:11 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
It wouldn't be such a big deal if the team wasn't so shi*...Every Leaf fan whether they like Kaberle or not knew that this was Burke's real chance at getting a decent forward through trade. Now Kaberle will be the villain when its trade deadline time and Burke asks him to waive his NTC....just like Mats was after giving most of his career to the Leafs...makes me sick.

Kaberle has been pretty much a class-act in this town and if you're not going to trade him then he should be extended. And I think Burke is smart enough to use the media to his advantage...As if he didn't know it would be a media frenzy..cmon this is Toronto where signing a nobody from some obscure European league makes the headlines....
Burke has said numerous times that he will never ask a player to waive his NTC so no need to get all sick about it.

He also said that he wants Kaberle to sign an extension.

Old
08-24-2010, 01:18 PM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Burke has said numerous times that he will never ask a player to waive his NTC so no need to get all sick about it.

He also said that he wants Kaberle to sign an extension.
How? Why would Burke commit $5-6 million a year to Kaberle on an extension? If he did that, you'd have around $30 million tied up on defense next season. Kaberle's also too old to fit with this team in its present state, so it doesn't make any sense to trade other, younger D-men to fit him in.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Lightsol

Quote:
blah blah blah.
the sun is more interesting.
It's more interesting to read made-up BS than to read facts? Or maybe you were one of those nutjobs who seriously thought we could get Bobby Ryan for Kaberle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Now Kaberle will be the villain when its trade deadline time and Burke asks him to waive his NTC....just like Mats was after giving most of his career to the Leafs...makes me sick.
Ignoring the fact that Burke could have done that last year at the trade deadline and didn't, Mats wasn't "made the villain" by anyone. There were idiots calling him out for not waiving his NTC to be traded, but the majority of fans were fine with the situation. Mats made himself a villain when he chose to join Vancouver as a rental player after using the whole "I don't want to be a rental player" argument when he refused to waive his NTC for Toronto.

Lightsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 01:32 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGillForever View Post
How? Why would Burke commit $5-6 million a year to Kaberle on an extension? If he did that, you'd have around $30 million tied up on defense next season. Kaberle's also too old to fit with this team in its present state, so it doesn't make any sense to trade other, younger D-men to fit him in.
Burke on signing Kaberle to an extension: "We’ve told the agent that at the appropriate time that is a conversation we are prepared to have, "

Just quoting what he said.

Old
08-24-2010, 01:33 PM
thepatient

It could be worse...he could have slept with Mogilny's wife

thepatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Budsfan