HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Awkward time for Leafs

Old
08-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Baba Ganoush

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-straight.html

Maple Leafs coach Wilson seeks meeting with Kaberle to set things straight
good.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:29 PM
RogerRoeper*

Burke did help create an uncomfortable situation. He handled the potential trade with Kaberke badly imo.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Federko

Burke better be careful going forward... Despite his autonomy this is what Peddie and the gang are hearing/seeing:

The Kessel trade doesn't sit well with countless Leaf fans.
The Kaberle fiasco doesn't sit well with countless Leaf fans.
The Versteeg trade doesn't sit well with countless Leaf fans.
Ron Wilson still being the coach doesn't sit well with countless Leaf fans.
The Kubina trade doesn't sit well with countless Leaf fans.
The Antropov trade doesn't sit well with countless Leaf fans.
Colby Armstrong's contract doesn't sit well with countless Leaf fans.

End Point? Burke is wreckless. Wilson is a belligerent coach who relies on stress & calls out his players a little too often in the media...
---------
You can sit here on HF Boards and argue until you are blue in the face - it doesn't change the facts.

NOW---They (MLSE) expect the team to make the playoffs this year.... many feel, including Leaf fans, they are not ready to make the playoffs.... I wish Mr. Wilson, Mr. Burke, Mr. Nonis & Mr. Poulin good luck. They're going to need it.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:18 AM
Thomas Malthus
The Dismal Team

Wilson to set the record straight with Kaberle

Quote:
Toronto Maple Leafs coach Ron Wilson has heard all the rumors about Tomas Kaberle and Tomas Kaberle’s father. But he wants to sit down with the veteran defenseman and hash things out face-to-face before he believes any of it.

Not anything groundbreaking, but I thought I'd share. My favourite part is that Wilson calls him "Kaba."

Thomas Malthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Bobo Fett*

f wilson imo

Bobo Fett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:22 AM
EternallyLeafs
doris

I'm hoping this finally clears everything up.

EternallyLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Good.

Hug it out.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Bay View Post
Good.

Hug it out.
Start a bromance.

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 04:56 AM
Platapie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie79 View Post
Burke better be careful going forward... Despite his autonomy this is what Peddie and the gang are hearing/seeing:

End Point? Burke is wreckless. Wilson is a belligerent coach who relies on stress & calls out his players a little too often in the media...
---------
You can sit here on HF Boards and argue until you are blue in the face - it doesn't change the facts.

NOW---They (MLSE) expect the team to make the playoffs this year.... many feel, including Leaf fans, they are not ready to make the playoffs.... I wish Mr. Wilson, Mr. Burke, Mr. Nonis & Mr. Poulin good luck. They're going to need it.
Huh? The only real issue up there is the Kessel trade, and I'm pretty sure most people really like Kessel, they just hate that we gave up a 2nd + whatever this year for him.

The rest are either insignificant/not worth worrying about at this point (Kubina, Armstrong, Wilson, Antropov) or yet to be determined, (Versteeg, Kaberle).

Burke has shown tremendous savvy with his general asset valuation. The Kessel deal was a complete theft in theory that, granted, blew up in his face. The Phaneuf deal was highway robbery asset wise-- I still cannot f'ing believe it, and he has plugged in some decent talent from college(s).

He is the best GM we've had in a long time. After years of enduring JFJ and Fletcher, I'd have hoped we could all see that.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 05:03 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

What are you talking about? Kessel trade doesn't sit well with a lot of people. It doesn't sit well with me either. Versteeg trade was ok. I can understand keeping Kaberle but seriously Burke spewed a lot of bull **** and couldn't deliver much. He's only added 1 top 6 forward this season and a 3rd liner that got a questionable about of money (I think he was worth it). Kubina trade was awful, should've just dumped Finger in the minors if you needed to save cap. And just a 2nd for Antropov? I don't mind it at all that we traded... but seriously he should've gotten more.

Burke should have rebuild this team properly instead of putting all his chips in for Kessel and most will be a big time critic of this trade until the team actually has success.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 05:06 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightta View Post

Not anything groundbreaking, but I thought I'd share. My favourite part is that Wilson calls him "Kaba."
“We’ll address it when we have a chance to sit down and face each other eye-to-eye and I’m sure (Leafs president-GM) Brian (Burke) will be a part of the conversation as well. That’s the best way to handle it.”
This means that Kaberle is either going to be traded before the start of the season,or he will sign an extension here.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:

---------

This is hilarious. Do you think this is the French revolution?

"Bad deal according to 12 fans on the HF board who think they could do better, off with their heads!"

We've had many threads on this. Burke is in 0 danger. He will be extended here. He is not going anywhere. Read the Poulin article. That's the kind of thing Boards of Directors love. They are going to develop talent here, gaining a competitive advantage.

No one on the BOD is gnashing their fingernails over Tyler Seguin. They're selling Kessel and Phaneuf jerseys like hot cakes, the building is sold out, the team is competitive, young and on the rise.

You think that when they are selling Platinums on the glass for over $400 and per-game TV rights are going for over 700k, the BOD is concerned if the second-guessers board is trending negative in a couple of threads?

Wow.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 07:50 AM
jaateloauto
Nothing is overrated

Quote:
What are the facts? That countless fans Leaf have opinions?

jaateloauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 07:56 AM
ACC1224

Quote:

---------
What's your definition of countless?

What facts?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Platapie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
What are you talking about? Kessel trade doesn't sit well with a lot of people. It doesn't sit well with me either. Versteeg trade was ok. I can understand keeping Kaberle but seriously Burke spewed a lot of bull **** and couldn't deliver much. He's only added 1 top 6 forward this season and a 3rd liner that got a questionable about of money (I think he was worth it). Kubina trade was awful, should've just dumped Finger in the minors if you needed to save cap. And just a 2nd for Antropov? I don't mind it at all that we traded... but seriously he should've gotten more.

Burke should have rebuild this team properly instead of putting all his chips in for Kessel and most will be a big time critic of this trade until the team actually has success.
I'm no Burke apologist but WTF?

Komisarek, Phaneuf and Beauch are all very talented D-men. Phaneuf has the potential to be a franchise one while Komi is a legit top pairing man. I'm not sure how you're ignoring the addition of 3 impact players.

Old
08-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie View Post
Huh? The only real issue up there is the Kessel trade, and I'm pretty sure most people really like Kessel, they just hate that we gave up a 2nd + whatever this year for him.

The rest are either insignificant/not worth worrying about at this point (Kubina, Armstrong, Wilson, Antropov) or yet to be determined, (Versteeg, Kaberle).

Burke has shown tremendous savvy with his general asset valuation. The Kessel deal was a complete theft in theory that, granted, blew up in his face. The Phaneuf deal was highway robbery asset wise-- I still cannot f'ing believe it, and he has plugged in some decent talent from college(s).

He is the best GM we've had in a long time. After years of enduring JFJ and Fletcher, I'd have hoped we could all see that.
Your blinders are on. Burke's asset management has been atrocious. The Phaneuf trade did work out in our favour - that said.... everything else has been miscalculated risks ... at best.

Old
08-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Federko

Quote:
I'm no Burke apologist but WTF?

Komisarek, Phaneuf and Beauch are all very talented D-men. Phaneuf has the potential to be a franchise one while Komi is a legit top pairing man. I'm not sure how you're ignoring the addition of 3 impact players.
impact players that resulted in the worst D in the league, worst PK in the league...29th overall finish - do you just ignore the facts or just keep drinking burkie's kool aid?

Old
08-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
impact players that resulted in the worst D in the league, worst PK in the league...29th overall finish - do you just ignore the facts or just keep drinking burkie's kool aid?
You're forgetting that we also had the worst goalie in the league. A problem that hopefully has been rectified.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:49 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Why don't you figure out that we are closer to next season than we are to last season. Between you and Mess I am pretty sure we know what Toronto's PK and PP stats were last year and where the team finished in the standings by now.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:53 AM
dubey
Registered Genius

Quote:
lol

What was the team's record after Phaneuf joined? How many games did Komisarek actually play?

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:53 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Quote:
Your blinders are on. Burke's asset management has been atrocious. The Phaneuf trade did work out in our favour - that said.... everything else has been miscalculated risks ... at best.
My best guess is that Burke is doing excellent work regarding asset management. I won't know if I'm right about this for quite some time though ... if ever.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Lightsol

Quote:
Your blinders are on.
Who's blinders are on? I'm starting to wonder if either you have a serious anti-Burke agenda going on here or if you live in some other reality where everything is wrong and everyone disagrees with you, requiring you to scream the same nonsense over and over again as if everyone is stupid or deaf.

Burke's asset management is perfectly fine. Would you rather we got JFJ back to dole out more draft picks on garbage like Vesa Toskala? After all, we spent a 1st and 2nd on him, too.

Lightsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Platapie

Quote:
Phaneuf, Komi, Beauch, Bozak, Kessel are all legitimate assets. It's fair to take Kessel out of the equation because we would have had a 2nd overall pick instead of him.

Explain to me, aside from Kessel, how the above were poor asset management in any way shape or form. They could EASILY be flipped for useful assets, and are strong additions (except for perhaps Bozak and Beauch who are decent pieces), to any team, no matter the caliber.

Old
08-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Platapie

Quote:
Defense is a team game. Our forwards suck, and our goalie sucks. We're forced to play river hockey far too often. This inflated our goals (note that we were what, 8th overall 2 seasons ago?) and raised our GA accordingly.

Old
08-25-2010, 12:34 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Phaneuf, Komi, Beauch, Bozak, Kessel are all legitimate assets. It's fair to take Kessel out of the equation because we would have had a 2nd overall pick instead of him.

Explain to me, aside from Kessel, how the above were poor asset management in any way shape or form. They could EASILY be flipped for useful assets, and are strong additions (except for perhaps Bozak and Beauch who are decent pieces), to any team, no matter the caliber.
You're probably overstating the move-ability of most of that group. Players making the money Phaneuf, Komisarek and Beauchemin are making may be useful to very useful NHL defensemen but you need a trade partner with both the cap space (and return players freeing cap space) to take on those contracts. Being that the Leafs outbid the rest of the NHL on both Komisarek and Beauchemin and the less than stellar years both had, I'd think neither one would return much in quality assets.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote