HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Mercier?

Old
08-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
Justin Mercier?

Can you guys give me a bit more info. about this player?

1. What is his long-term potential? Is he at most a 3rd liner at the NHL level?

2. How has he looked in his few games in the NHL last season?

Thanks!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

vCash: 500
I don't see much more than a 4th liner out of Mercier. He wasn't terrible last season, but I ddnt see much to indicate he'd be more.

Stories is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 09:18 AM
NWAvsFan

3rd liner seems most likely. Scored some goals in the NCAA but doesn't seem all that likely to be a scoring threat in the NHL. He hasn't shown a lot in his limited ice time but he hasn't been given huge opportunities either. Needs to cook a little more.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 09:40 AM
niwotsblessing

On the LEM website the fans love him for his tireless work ethic, he plays hard every shift. Sounds like a good energy guy for 3rd or likely 4th line, given the centers we already have in the NHL.

niwotsblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 09:44 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
He clearly has the offensive skills, he just needs a chance to show them off...which I don't think will happen with the Avs. Our top 6 is too strong for him to make his way in.

He has the hands and skill to provide some offense at the NHL level, even if he is a bit undersized.

I still think he projects as a 3rd liner on the very high end of things, and a guy who can fill in during injuries with moderate success.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 02:06 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
The majority of Mercier's goals in the NCAA came from scoring on the rush or grabbing a rebound. He never thrived with a playmaker on his line, he preferred to create offense by himself. I don't think he could ever score more than 10 goals in the NHL if he cannot utilize his linemates more, but he'll likely never have the type of linemates that will elevate his production

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 09:04 PM
quesosauce

if he plays a top 6 role in the NHL that team wins the lottery

which isnt an insult, because i think the guy can be an effective 3rd/4th liner, and all teams need guys like that to win cups. He should focus his efforts on playing PK, playing stout defense, and bringing energy and the occasional goal

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 09:34 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
I hope he can work his way up to a third line role at some point. I feel the best teams always have a good checking line - like Podein - Yelle - Messier for example - so I wasn't thrilled with the McLeod - O'Reilly - Tucker line last season, nor am I thrilled at the prospect of a Yip - O'Reilly - Jones line for this season.

McLeod and Winnik throw a monkey wrench into things, but whatever the case I hope the Avs can assemble a line that Sacco can confidently put on the ice against the other teams top scorers.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 09:42 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
I hope he can work his way up to a third line role at some point. I feel the best teams always have a good checking line - like Podein - Yelle - Messier for example - so I wasn't thrilled with the McLeod - O'Reilly - Tucker line last season, nor am I thrilled at the prospect of a Yip - O'Reilly - Jones line for this season.
We could eventually end up with Galiardi-RoR-Yip, with Jones on Stastny's line. That'd be pretty beastly. Fourth line of McLeod-Winnik-Porter potentially - I'd prefer re-signing Hendricks but oh well.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:21 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
We could eventually end up with Galiardi-RoR-Yip, with Jones on Stastny's line. That'd be pretty beastly. Fourth line of McLeod-Winnik-Porter potentially - I'd prefer re-signing Hendricks but oh well.

Yep, that third line would be a nightmare for other teams to play against. Not to mention they'd have a little bit of offensive pop as well.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:36 PM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

I liked Mercier in his few games last year. He was all energy, but he got ahead of himself a few times, and got taken out of the play, leading to a turnover. If he ends up on the third or fourth line, I'd be happy with that.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
i'm actually very disappointed we haven't re-signed Hendricks/ doesn't seem like we will.
i thought he was a great 4th liner and earned himself another contract, I hope he at least gets a shot on another team

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
The majority of Mercier's goals in the NCAA came from scoring on the rush or grabbing a rebound. He never thrived with a playmaker on his line, he preferred to create offense by himself. I don't think he could ever score more than 10 goals in the NHL if he cannot utilize his linemates more, but he'll likely never have the type of linemates that will elevate his production
Sounds like a perfect 4th liner to me if his defense is decent. I think I'd want my 3rd line guys to utilize their linemates. I don't expect a ton of offense, but some secondary scoring is necessary for a contender. The production from my 4th line is a bonus, so he'd be better suited for an energy line. Those are still guys I'd want on every team though.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 11:48 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Hopefully if Jones can stay healthy.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
i'm actually very disappointed we haven't re-signed Hendricks/ doesn't seem like we will.
i thought he was a great 4th liner and earned himself another contract, I hope he at least gets a shot on another team
I feel the same way. He seemed to fit in really well as our 4th line center and it seems like he was very well liked in the locker room. This is what sucks about the rebuild, sometimes guys you like get let go because they don't fit with what management wants to do. Felt like this with Lappy when he left... wish he was still around to mentor O'Reilly on playing defensive forward

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 08:40 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJimmyCarterC View Post
I feel the same way. He seemed to fit in really well as our 4th line center and it seems like he was very well liked in the locker room. This is what sucks about the rebuild, sometimes guys you like get let go because they don't fit with what management wants to do. Felt like this with Lappy when he left... wish he was still around to mentor O'Reilly on playing defensive forward
I loved Lappy, but O'Reilly is already better defensively better than Lappy ever has been in his career.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:09 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I loved Lappy, but O'Reilly is already better defensively better than Lappy ever has been in his career.
Dude, Lappy plays on a PK unit that was good enough to be in the SCF

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Mercier was supposed to be mainly a shutdown, 3rd line forward? Has anyone who's seen him think he can find a place long-term in the 3rd or 4th line? Is he good enough defensively?

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:15 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Dude, Lappy plays on a PK unit that was good enough to be in the SCF
mhhmm. So did Powe. I would consider O'Reilly to be much better than him as well. O'Reilly plays more minutes and plays center. I don't know why I am arguing actually, it is night and day difference to me. O'Reilly is much better. Lappy is fearless (blocking shots), but he isn't as smart or as good positionally as O'Reilly.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote