HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THN: Preseason Rankings for Colorado

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-17-2010, 09:30 AM
  #1
electricjib
Registered User
 
electricjib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Country: United States
Posts: 7,761
vCash: 500
THN: Preseason Rankings for Colorado

Colorado is ranked number 9 in the West

Quote:
Why: The young Avs didn’t make any franchise-altering moves, but lost shot-block specialist Brett Clark to free agency. Colorado is relying on the same players it did last year when the team surprised everyone with a playoff appearance: Matt Duchene, THN cover boy Chris Stewart, T.J. Galiardi, Peter Mueller and more brought this team along last year and will be counted on to do the same. Craig Anderson had a terrific 2009-10, but in this volatile goalie age can he live up to expectations he didn’t have a year ago? After we saw another young team – the St. Louis Blues – burst onto the playoff scene only to fall back a little the year after, we’re anticipating much of the same from the Avalanche.
I think it's probably about right on. But I think they'll still slip in the playoff's.

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:43 AM
  #2
NWAvsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
Colorado is ranked number 9 in the West



I think it's probably about right on. But I think they'll still slip in the playoff's.
I mostly agree but don't see how they put Calgary ahead of Colorado given the mess they have. I also was a little surprised we had no one in the top 50 players. Statistically speaking most teams should have 2 players in the top 50 but to have absolutely none was a bit of a head shaker. Neither Craig Anderson nor Staz were worthy? I think a case could have been made for Stew as well.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
  #3
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
I mostly agree but don't see how they put Calgary ahead of Colorado given the mess they have. I also was a little surprised we had no one in the top 50 players. Statistically speaking most teams should have 2 players in the top 50 but to have absolutely none was a bit of a head shaker. Neither Craig Anderson nor Staz were worthy? I think a case could have been made for Stew as well.
When did THN suddenly become a respectable hockey source? Don't get me wrong, the experts aren't even experts half the time. Leaving Stastny, Koivu, Anderson out were just one of the big ones.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:58 AM
  #4
Freudian
Slightly overpaid
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 34,212
vCash: 50
I think anywhere between 7th and 10th is realistic. We go as far as Andy takes us this year.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:09 AM
  #5
Seaward*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Theodore's Pants
Country: France
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
When did THN suddenly become a respectable hockey source? Don't get me wrong, the experts aren't even experts half the time. Leaving Stastny, Koivu, Anderson out were just one of the big ones.
really?? The Hockey News is not reputable but some dudes posting online are?

Get over yourself bro. THN is 100% more respectable than anybody else on this site...

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:37 AM
  #6
NWAvsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
When did THN suddenly become a respectable hockey source? Don't get me wrong, the experts aren't even experts half the time. Leaving Stastny, Koivu, Anderson out were just one of the big ones.
Serious? THN has been around forever and I have read it since I was a teen (anybody remember the other mag Hockey Digest published in a TV Guide sized format?) They certainly aren't perfect but I definitely think they are a credible journalistic source. Sometimes you see their East Coast bias shining through and honestly they seem almost anti-Avalanche at times (same treatment goes for a lot of the ex-Canadian franchises) but you can't dismiss them.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:02 AM
  #7
Seaward*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Theodore's Pants
Country: France
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Serious? THN has been around forever and I have read it since I was a teen (anybody remember the other mag Hockey Digest published in a TV Guide sized format?) They certainly aren't perfect but I definitely think they are a credible journalistic source. Sometimes you see their East Coast bias shining through and honestly they seem almost anti-Avalanche at times (same treatment goes for a lot of the ex-Canadian franchises) but you can't dismiss them.
NO!!

If they dont put the Avs no. 1 then they are not credible!!!

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:12 AM
  #8
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 7,539
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Honestly, it all depends on Craig Anderson.

If he plays the way he did last year, 7-9 is realistic. If he doesn't, expect to be in the top 5 of the draft.

With our defense worse than last year, there's no one to bail him out on bad nights.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:17 AM
  #9
hughdreamz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,279
vCash: 500
I'm guessing a repeat of last year in a way. I don't think Anderson will be as good, I think the offense will be better, defense still worse. We'll probably make the playoffs by a couple games or miss the playoffs by a couple games.

hughdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:21 AM
  #10
thedoctor
                    
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HishonHishoff View Post
Honestly, it all depends on Craig Anderson.

If he plays the way he did last year, 7-9 is realistic. If he doesn't, expect to be in the top 5 of the draft.

With our defense worse than last year, there's no one to bail him out on bad nights.
Worse? How is it worse? If anything I expect improvement with a another year under our young guys' belts, and fresh talent possibly seeing the ice instead of horrible-Clark and terrible-Salei.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:27 AM
  #11
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Serious? THN has been around forever and I have read it since I was a teen (anybody remember the other mag Hockey Digest published in a TV Guide sized format?) They certainly aren't perfect but I definitely think they are a credible journalistic source. Sometimes you see their East Coast bias shining through and honestly they seem almost anti-Avalanche at times (same treatment goes for a lot of the ex-Canadian franchises) but you can't dismiss them.
Don't get me wrong, from what I've herd they were very good before my time but the articles I've read make me think someone on HF wrote it.

I have no problem with what they've said about the Avs (which is also what nearly every other reputable NHL site has predicted). I predict this team to slump and miss the playoffs which I am fine with as long as the team grows.

Just their ranking of players made me I don't put much into their articles. As far as info on players, stats, etc. goes they are good.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:31 AM
  #12
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,005
vCash: 500
9th sounds about right. If we get 9th, I hope we call up as many rookies as possible throughout the season. Shattenkirk, Holos, all getting a good amount of ice time.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
  #13
NWAvsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Don't get me wrong, from what I've herd they were very good before my time but the articles I've read make me think someone on HF wrote it.

I have no problem with what they've said about the Avs (which is also what nearly every other reputable NHL site has predicted). I predict this team to slump and miss the playoffs which I am fine with as long as the team grows.

Just their ranking of players made me I don't put much into their articles. As far as info on players, stats, etc. goes they are good.
Their player rankings can be worthy and they have biases that show through for sure. All in all they are one of the better sources for info if you know how to filter them. I do think there are some posters on HF that could write better and are more knowledgeable. Especially some of the stuff in the draft areas can be pretty impressive. That said you have to pick the pearls out of the road apple with any source.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:32 PM
  #14
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Don't get me wrong, from what I've herd they were very good before my time but the articles I've read make me think someone on HF wrote it.

I have no problem with what they've said about the Avs (which is also what nearly every other reputable NHL site has predicted). I predict this team to slump and miss the playoffs which I am fine with as long as the team grows.

Just their ranking of players made me I don't put much into their articles. As far as info on players, stats, etc. goes they are good.
Same, they have Kesler above Staal(Eric) and Nash.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:33 PM
  #15
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Their player rankings can be worthy and they have biases that show through for sure. All in all they are one of the better sources for info if you know how to filter them. I do think there are some posters on HF that could write better and are more knowledgeable. Especially some of the stuff in the draft areas can be pretty impressive. That said you have to pick the pearls out of the road apple with any source.
I agree with this.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:40 PM
  #16
Freedom Elz
Registered User
 
Freedom Elz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wharryville, Idaho
Country: Canada
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
Colorado is ranked number 9 in the West



I think it's probably about right on. But I think they'll still slip in the playoff's.
I have an issue with the ranking being based on the Avs not making any franchise altering off season moves. How many teams made franchise altering moves for the better?

Not San Jose.
Not Detroit.
Not Chicago.
Not Phoenix.
Not Calgary.
Not LA.

In fact all of those teams are also somewhat worse on paper than last year. The only team from last year's top 8 that is significantly better than last year is Vancouver.

I think the Avs can certainly compete for the #4-8 spot.

Freedom Elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:47 PM
  #17
volaju
Registered User
 
volaju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
When did THN suddenly become a respectable hockey source? Don't get me wrong, the experts aren't even experts half the time. Leaving Stastny, Koivu, Anderson out were just one of the big ones.
So you're an expert expert?

volaju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
  #18
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 6,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
When did THN suddenly become a respectable hockey source? Don't get me wrong, the experts aren't even experts half the time. Leaving Stastny, Koivu, Anderson out were just one of the big ones.
THN is pretty good 90% of the time, but that list was just awful.

I do agree with why they ranked us 9th. IMO It will be down to us, St. Louis, Anahiem, and Calgary for the final 2 spots.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:04 PM
  #19
AyVee
Registered User
 
AyVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Springs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by volaju View Post
So you're an observant hockey fan with a level of common sense to know that experts can be human too because you don't need to have a job in a given field to be considered an 'expert' on it?
Fixed.
And the answer is yes.
I can still do the same work and research as another who gets paid for it, but in no way does that make me less credible.

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:42 PM
  #20
Seaward*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Theodore's Pants
Country: France
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
Fixed.
And the answer is yes.
I can still do the same work and research as another who gets paid for it, but in no way does that make me less credible.
hahahaahahahahahahahahahah

that is hilarious. You think you are as good/credible as a professional hockey journalist. hahahahaahahahahaahha

That is too good bro...

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:48 PM
  #21
quesosauce
Registered User
 
quesosauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,025
vCash: 500
i see two different ways this season can go for the avs.

1-we suprise everyone again and our youth builds on last year and andy plays great and we get in the playoffs as the 4-8 seed

2-we fall flat as anderson cant reproduce his season last year and 2-3 of our young stars have "sophomore slumps" and we finish 13th or worse

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 02:51 PM
  #22
Duchene2MacKinnon
22 years!!!
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by volaju View Post
So you're an expert expert?
It was on the replay.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:10 PM
  #23
NWAvsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post
i see two different ways this season can go for the avs.

1-we suprise everyone again and our youth builds on last year and andy plays great and we get in the playoffs as the 4-8 seed

2-we fall flat as anderson cant reproduce his season last year and 2-3 of our young stars have "sophomore slumps" and we finish 13th or worse
There is a strange irony to the game and I could actually see a scenario where the vaunted youth forwards struggle offensively but our much berated defense comes through and we win Phoenix style. Not saying it will happen but pro sports are like that sometimes.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 04:35 PM
  #24
NWAvs
Registered User
 
NWAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
So us losing Brett ****ing Clark is why we dont make the playoffs? Hahahahahahaha

I hope so bad we make the playoffs.

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:56 PM
  #25
volaju
Registered User
 
volaju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
The best part is, after 89 million "So you're an expert?" jokes on HFboards, there's always someone who doesn't get it and starts 'sperging on some random topic.

volaju is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.