HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

2010-2011 Blues Prospects Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2010, 09:25 AM
  #101
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Jaden with 2 goals last night. He and Tarasenko offer speed and skill. Time will tell how good this draft was. Bishop and McRae playing well early in Peoria. What a huge surprise it would be if Beach turned into a legit NHL forward with his size and toughness.

stlweir is offline  
Old
10-23-2010, 09:56 AM
  #102
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Looks like Sebastian Wannstrom scored 4 goals in 3 games for his junior team in Sweden and then was promoted to the big boys.

Or else the other way around.
What does "the other way round" mean? Would he have been sent back down to juniors right after scoring 4 goals in 3 games in a pro league as a junior? That sounds very unlikely.

If he's so good as a junior, that he can even get enough playing time in an Alsvenskan or SEL game, and then he scores 4 goals in 3 games (in those defence-first leagues), he appears to be a phenomenon. In that case, I would gues that his pro team would, at least, try to ride out his hot streak.

Robb_K is offline  
Old
10-23-2010, 11:33 AM
  #103
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
What does "the other way round" mean? Would he have been sent back down to juniors right after scoring 4 goals in 3 games in a pro league as a junior? That sounds very unlikely.

If he's so good as a junior, that he can even get enough playing time in an Alsvenskan or SEL game, and then he scores 4 goals in 3 games (in those defence-first leagues), he appears to be a phenomenon. In that case, I would gues that his pro team would, at least, try to ride out his hot streak.
You misunderstand. The "other way around" means he could have started with the big boys and then was sent to juniors (although I doubt it).

Can't tell for sure just by reading the stats.

execwrite is offline  
Old
10-23-2010, 12:32 PM
  #104
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,039
vCash: 50
How is Cole playing ?

Mike Liut is offline  
Old
10-23-2010, 12:49 PM
  #105
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
You misunderstand. The "other way around" means he could have started with the big boys and then was sent to juniors (although I doubt it).

Can't tell for sure just by reading the stats.
He's likely playing for both teams - playing for Brynas in the SEL but then also playing games for the Jr team when games don't conflict with the SEL games. Frolunda did that with Eller the year after his draft for a bit. They're probably doing that since he's likely not getting very many minutes for the SEL team but will get top line minutes for the Jr team. I still can't believe his teammate, Jarnkrok, lasted until the later parts of the 2nd round - nice steal by the Wings IMO.

STL fan in IA is offline  
Old
10-23-2010, 03:01 PM
  #106
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
He's likely playing for both teams - playing for Brynas in the SEL but then also playing games for the Jr team when games don't conflict with the SEL games. Frolunda did that with Eller the year after his draft for a bit. They're probably doing that since he's likely not getting very many minutes for the SEL team but will get top line minutes for the Jr team. I still can't believe his teammate, Jarnkrok, lasted until the later parts of the 2nd round - nice steal by the Wings IMO.
Then, Wännström's 4 goals in 3 games were likely all scored in juniors. Not so?

Robb_K is offline  
Old
10-23-2010, 09:45 PM
  #107
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Then, Wännström's 4 goals in 3 games were likely all scored in juniors. Not so?

2010-2011
Brynäs J20 SuperElit 3 4 0 4 0 |
Brynäs Elitserien 12 0 1 1 2 |
Sweden U20 (all) International 4 1 2 3 2

execwrite is offline  
Old
10-23-2010, 09:52 PM
  #108
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
2010-2011
Brynäs J20 SuperElit 3 4 0 4 0 |
Brynäs Elitserien 12 0 1 1 2 |
Sweden U20 (all) International 4 1 2 3 2
I thought so. Nevertheless, Sweden's J20 League has quite a high calibre. So his recent goal spurt is something to be happy about, in any case. We knew he could score. It's just a matter of his game translating to The NHL, his body maturing and adding strength, and his rounding out his overall game. The Blues need more scoring forwards in their system, and he should become an integral part.

Robb_K is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 12:58 PM
  #109
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,727
vCash: 500
Cody Beach:

Popped another goal and assist last night.... To go along with 18 pim. He received a 10 min. miscounduct. Leading his team in points and PIM is pretty impressive.

I am not sure if his number are high due to Calgary being a bottom rung team in the WHL (this is the 1st time in a long time) and lacking scoring in other players or if he is developing a serious offensive game.

It will be interesting to see if he is traded at the deadline if he is kept by the hitmen.

Frenzy1 is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 02:30 PM
  #110
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
St. Louis Game Time Prospect Sunday for Oct. 24, 2010, featuring a recap of Peoria's undefeated week and back-to-back shutouts, a look at the Blues' top European prospects, the Featured Prospect of the Week (Cody Beach), and five prospects who are "Trending Up."

Blues' Prospect Stats as of Oct. 24, 2010

Prussian_Blue is offline  
Old
10-24-2010, 07:31 PM
  #111
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,463
vCash: 500
Brett Ponich is on the WHL roster for the Nov. 18 game against the Russkies.

execwrite is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 05:29 AM
  #112
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,727
vCash: 500
Jaden popped the only goal for Colorado College last night, as they go on to lose to Min.

Beach was not in the line up for Calgary. Hope he is all right. Maybe he is service a suspension for his misconduct last week.....

Frenzy1 is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 10:33 AM
  #113
BlueSinceBirth
Registered User
 
BlueSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Barriball looking impressive so far. Thoughts on him getting signed?

BlueSinceBirth is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 12:03 PM
  #114
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!
 
Stealth JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Safari Motor Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 6,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
Barriball looking impressive so far. Thoughts on him getting signed?
1% by STL. He's likely done growing and would get destroyed in the AHL, let alone NHL. I think he's a supreme long-shot and the Blues would be wise to keep an extra contract available & not waste one on Barriball.

Stealth JD is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 04:36 PM
  #115
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 500
How fast is Barribal? Is he really, really fast and have exceptional puck handling skills?

If so, then he can succeed in The NHL. He needs to go pro and prove that he is fast enough, shifty enough and has the puck handling ability. If he can make room for himself through pure speed and craftiness, then he'll be a winner.

Problem is...I don't follow UM at all, so I don't know Barriball's game at all.

If he can't do those things mentioned above, then he has no chance in hell, unless hell has only really bad players.

ChicagoBlues is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 10:10 PM
  #116
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,714
vCash: 500
Barriball's going to be a career AHLer. He has great vision and shot but doesn't have the speed or ability to play in anyone's top-six and is too small to play a bottom-six role.

Also been watching Jaden Schwartz this weekend (the U plays CC) - he looks pretty good in terms of vision and playing without the puck. You don't see many true freshman having those in the WCHA and while he needs to improve his defensive play, it's still impressive Of course being able to score three goals this weekend doesn't hurt either.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 10:57 PM
  #117
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
1% by STL. He's likely done growing and would get destroyed in the AHL, let alone NHL. I think he's a supreme long-shot and the Blues would be wise to keep an extra contract available & not waste one on Barriball.
Gonna disagree, Stealth.

I see Barriball as being ideal for the AHL game. He's fast enough, and plays big enough, to handle himself just fine there. He's not that small, and while I agree he doesn't have much of a shot at an NHL, I can see him being a productive AHL player and helping build the affiliate into a powerhouse. And the better the affiliate is, the better the environment is for the development of the top prospects.

Prussian_Blue is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 11:43 PM
  #118
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 500
Barriball's bigger than Gionta

ChicagoBlues is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 12:01 AM
  #119
BlueSinceBirth
Registered User
 
BlueSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Gonna disagree, Stealth.

I see Barriball as being ideal for the AHL game. He's fast enough, and plays big enough, to handle himself just fine there. He's not that small, and while I agree he doesn't have much of a shot at an NHL, I can see him being a productive AHL player and helping build the affiliate into a powerhouse. And the better the affiliate is, the better the environment is for the development of the top prospects.
So something similar to say Darren Haydar?

BlueSinceBirth is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 02:13 PM
  #120
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
So something similar to say Darren Haydar?
Yeah, I'd say that's just about an ideal comparison for Barriball.

Prussian_Blue is offline  
Old
11-01-2010, 01:03 AM
  #121
fan in oregon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 631
vCash: 500
phillip mc rae

hows he doing in peoria this year? do you think they will give him a look on the big club this year? thanks

fan in oregon is offline  
Old
11-01-2010, 10:11 PM
  #122
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan in oregon View Post
hows he doing in peoria this year? do you think they will give him a look on the big club this year? thanks
He should play most (if not all) of the year in Peoria. I don't see him getting more than a few game trial.

Robb_K is offline  
Old
11-03-2010, 07:37 AM
  #123
The Saw Is the Law
Registered User
 
The Saw Is the Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,824
vCash: 500
Jani Hakanpää

6'5 218lbs defence first D-man Finn keeps it going!

Juniors: 10GP, 1+5, +6, 6PIM, 22:52min TOI/G
Mestis: 6GP 1+0, -7, 31PIM, 18:31min TOI/G

Not ready for men's games yet. He wasn't chosen to U20 camp. That doesn't mean he is definitely out of WJC but his chances are rare. He missed some junior games, I guess he had little injury but now he is back in action.

The Saw Is the Law is offline  
Old
11-03-2010, 09:04 AM
  #124
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
6'5 218lbs defence first D-man Finn keeps it going!

Juniors: 10GP, 1+5, +6, 6PIM, 22:52min TOI/G
Mestis: 6GP 1+0, -7, 31PIM, 18:31min TOI/G

Not ready for men's games yet. He wasn't chosen to U20 camp. That doesn't mean he is definitely out of WJC but his chances are rare. He missed some junior games, I guess he had little injury but now he is back in action.
Thank you, sir.

Disappointing that Hakanpaa won't be on Finand's U20 team this year, but he has another year to make it. It would seem that he's progressing nicely.

Prussian_Blue is offline  
Old
11-05-2010, 01:33 AM
  #125
Timothy Freitag
Registered User
 
Timothy Freitag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Metro, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
System Audit should be coming out in the next few days. Keep your eyes peeled. Hopefully I didn't make any glaring mistakes.

BTW, Philip McRae is playing really good hockey in Peoria. He's a guy I'm really rooting for. His dad was one of my favorites growing up a North Stars fan.

Timothy Freitag is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.