HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs/Wheeling Nailers 2010-2011

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2010, 09:26 AM
kovacro
"Jazz Hands" by Alec

vCash: 500
I'm not gonna quote the above post, but from what I recall of that season the NHL was on strike so a lot of teams sent players down who were eligible to play in the "A" (Spezza, Cammy, Staal, etc).

I don't remember the Dogs having anyone in the top 20 in scoring that season in the AHL. Pleks was first or second in scoring on the team, around 65 points, give or take a few.

I do recall that they shared their farm team with Dallas that year. Dallas provided Dan Ellis, Trevor Daley, Steve Ott and Antti Miettenen.

It was a good team at that time, but not stacked back then, they got smoked by Rochester in 4 games in the playoffs after finishing the season with around 85-90 pts.

Old
09-10-2010, 05:04 PM
pc_md

It was indeed the lock-out year and that is exactly the reason why they got kicked out of the playoffs that year( not because they were not "stacked".)

Hamilton only had two forwards sent down from the NHL
Jason Ward
Steve Begin (only took part 25 games including playoffs games).

That team was still deeper than the actual team if you ask me.

Old
09-10-2010, 07:09 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
It was indeed the lock-out year and that is exactly the reason why they got kicked out of the playoffs that year( not because they were not "stacked".)

Hamilton only had two forwards sent down from the NHL
Jason Ward
Steve Begin (only took part 25 games including playoffs games).

That team was still deeper than the actual team if you ask me.
The '04-'05 wasn't stacked at all. Aside from Pleks and Higgins they weren't anything special.

The best AHL team I've ever seen was likely the '02-'03 Dogs, that lineup was stacked.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...007912003.html

Old
09-10-2010, 07:36 PM
pc_md

Quote:
The '04-'05 wasn't stacked at all. Aside from Pleks and Higgins they weren't anything special.
We were talking about depth... not top end talent. And 04-05 roster was deep.

Quote:
The best AHL team I've ever seen was likely the '02-'03 Dogs, that lineup was stacked.
Yeah I agree. And that just adds strenght to my argument : the actual team is not the deepest ever.

Old
09-10-2010, 08:27 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
We were talking about depth... not top end talent. And 04-05 roster was deep.
Maybe I'm not understanding, but I wouldn't call '04-'05 deep personally,

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...007912005.html

Not as good as the past two years have been imo. I remember that season well, Danis was great, Ellis couldn't buy win, I hated Ott but he played well. I remember getting mad every time Ellis was put in net, but funny how it works out since he turned out to be the much better NHL.

Old
09-21-2010, 09:26 AM
TinordiandSubban

This year's Dogs could be really good and really deep:

Avtsin-Desharnais-White
Pacioretty-Engqvist-Palushaj
Russell-Maxwell-Schultz
Conboy-Fortier-Wyman
Bonneau

(Masse, Dumont, Bishop in ECHL)

Henry-Webber
Nash-Klubertanz
St.Denis-Carle
Urquhart

Sanford
Mayer

Old
09-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Bulis hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post

Avtsin-Desharnais-White
Russell-Maxwell-Schultz
Conboy-Fortier-Wyman
Bonneau

Henry-Webber
Nash-Klubertanz
St.Denis-Carle
Urquhart

Sanford
Mayer
If Maxwell is sent back, he wont be the third line center. He would be the first one if it wasnt for Desharnais being an all-star at this level.

I think it would look something like this

Pacioretty - Desharnais - White
Avtsin - Maxwell - Palushaj
Russell - Engqvist - Wyman
Schultz - Fortier - Conboy

D and G looks fine though.

Old
09-21-2010, 10:56 AM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:

Avtsin-Desharnais-White
Russell-Maxwell-Schultz
Conboy-Fortier-Wyman
Bonneau

Henry-Webber
Nash-Klubertanz
St.Denis-Carle
Urquhart

Sanford
Mayer
Looks good, I'd assume that Carle and St. Denis take the 2nd D pairing though. Also Maxwell taking the #2 center spot.

Old
09-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Couldn't care less about Massé.....but I want Dumont in the AHL.

Old
09-21-2010, 11:25 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I can see Engqvist playing RW on one line

Old
09-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I can see Engqvist playing RW on one line
It's still tough to remove anybody from that roster though. Unless somebody decides that Wyman has no future for us and that it's better to develop Dumont then to play Wyman for whatever reason.....or that Conboy could be the one going in the ECHL.....

The easiest decision would be to send Dumont in the ECHL. But I really want to see what he could do this year in that kind of opposition.

I'm not a Fortier fan but I guess he has the edge for a spot. Bonneau is not in play 'cause he's not going to be a regular in the lineup.

I also wonder.....is Schultz really done with the WHL? Can he go back as a 20yo? I know, I wouldn't want to see that, but I'm just wondering if this is still in play.

Old
09-21-2010, 11:45 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Couldn't care less about Massé.....but I want Dumont in the AHL.
Me too but who do you send to the Nailers? Conboy? Schultz? Wyman?

Do you play Dumont in a checking role with the Dogs or send him to the ECHL for top line minutes on a line with Masse?

Old
09-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Do you play Dumont in a checking role with the Dogs or send him to the ECHL for top line minutes on a line with Masse?
Like I said in the other post, it's a tough call. Honestly, I'd prefer seeing Dumont in the AHL with maybe the possibilities of PP#2 or if somebody struggles, well Dumont is there to replace them.

I won't make it a big deal. I would expect Dumont to have one heck of an offensive season with Wheeling. But I believe he'd be better serve in Hamilton. Which one would he replace? Well all 3 you named are possibilities. So is Fortier. Though, Montreal, the poster, could probably say that Conboy and Wyman progressed as the season passed by which make it irrelevant to ship them to lower leagues.

Old
09-21-2010, 02:04 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
The easiest decision would be to send Dumont in the ECHL. But I really want to see what he could do this year in that kind of opposition.

I also wonder.....is Schultz really done with the WHL? Can he go back as a 20yo? I know, I wouldn't want to see that, but I'm just wondering if this is still in play.
Not that I expect it to happen but who owns Dumont's rights cause I thought I heard something about the Volts trading his rights but perhaps I am wrong.

I don't see Schultz going back to the dub, I'd rather see him in the ECHL.

Quote:

Avtsin-Desharnais-White
Russell-Maxwell-Schultz
Conboy-Fortier-Wyman
Bonneau

Henry-Webber
Nash-Klubertanz
St.Denis-Carle
Urquhart

Sanford
Mayer
Schultz shouldn't get time over Wyman on the 3rd line and I would think Bishop will be with the Dogs all year.

I also think St-Denis will have a much bigger role then 3rd pairing, same for Carle.

Quote:

I can't see them sending Wyman or Conboy to the ECHL.

Old
09-21-2010, 02:19 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

I can't see any of our roster guys from last year hitting the ECHL. Maybe another player loan agreement ala Greg Stewart.

Old
09-21-2010, 03:35 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Not that I expect it to happen but who owns Dumont's rights cause I thought I heard something about the Volts trading his rights but perhaps I am wrong.
Drumondville still own his right. he was rumored to be involded in the Jake Allen trade but it was our own Lefebvre and Charles Landry who went to the mtl juniors instead

Old
09-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
I can't see any of our roster guys from last year hitting the ECHL. Maybe another player loan agreement ala Greg Stewart.
Hamilton's roster is far from being too deep

Last year Hamilton started the year with this roster :
Glumac-Maxwell-Kostitsyn
Trotter-Desharnais-Darche
Russell-White-Wyman
Stewart-Pyatt-Johansson
Extra : Conboy, Masse, Fortier, Lacroix, Neilson

Subban-Weber
Henry-Belle
Benoit-Carle
Extra : St-Denis, Anderson

It's true that the fact that Masse and Fortier missed almost all the season with injuries didn't help, but keep in mind that the Dogs signed Grant Stevenson during the season and gived a few games the some echlers (Kinasewich, Curadeau, Murphy) and they still played games with only 17 skaters. I think that St-Denis and Anderson even played forward for a few games also to fill for injuries.

So I wouldn't worry too much about Dumont and Bishop going to the ECHL. You need one injury at the NHL level (which also means a call-up) and an injury in the AHL and those 2 become AHL regulars.

Last year we were excepting to see a lot of players in the ECHL but finally only Lacroix and Mayer played with the Cyclones.

Old
09-22-2010, 11:43 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
Drumondville still own his right. he was rumored to be involded in the Jake Allen trade but it was our own Lefebvre and Charles Landry who went to the mtl juniors instead
Thanks. I see that Landry got signed by tampa, was hoping we would have invited him to our rookie camp.

What's your take on Marc-Antoine Desnoyers? Seems like it would be a good idea to sign him and send him to the ECHL for depth as we are a little thin on LD prospects.

Old
09-23-2010, 10:09 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Thanks. I see that Landry got signed by tampa, was hoping we would have invited him to our rookie camp.

What's your take on Marc-Antoine Desnoyers? Seems like it would be a good idea to sign him and send him to the ECHL for depth as we are a little thin on LD prospects.
was hoping to get Landry too at our camp. imo he was one of the most underated d-man in the Q. not surprised TB sign him

about Desnoyers, i think he would be a good fit for our echl team. i don't know what are his plan. i know he's supposed to go play for UQTR (CIS) so i dont know he would leave that for the echl.

Bissallion could be a good fit for our echl team

Old
09-23-2010, 11:13 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
was hoping to get Landry too at our camp. imo he was one of the most underated d-man in the Q. not surprised TB sign him

about Desnoyers, i think he would be a good fit for our echl team. i don't know what are his plan. i know he's supposed to go play for UQTR (CIS) so i dont know he would leave that for the echl.

Bissallion could be a good fit for our echl team
Well Desnoyers could talk to Frédéric St-Denis, didn't he play for UQTR for a year before going to the ECHL. I know St-Denis is getting crapped on for last night but he really impressed me as the season wore on last year, I expect him to be a solid AHLer for us, hope to see Desnoyers signed and follow in his steps as I heard a lot of good things about St-Denis during his rookie year with Cincy.

Old
09-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I really wonder why we didn't go after Parkes and Landry at our rookie camp. Now, both guys have signed a contract. Good for them, but I wished it would have been with us.

Old
09-23-2010, 12:29 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Well Desnoyers could talk to Frédéric St-Denis, didn't he play for UQTR for a year before going to the ECHL. I know St-Denis is getting crapped on for last night but he really impressed me as the season wore on last year, I expect him to be a solid AHLer for us, hope to see Desnoyers signed and follow in his steps as I heard a lot of good things about St-Denis during his rookie year with Cincy.
good point Dan, i hope Desnoyer is going to take the pro route. he's got good offensive upside. need work defensively. the day he was traded to Drumondville and Guy Boucher in the qmjhl he became a much much better hockey player. before he was your pretty average qmjhl d-man. Last 2 year he was dominant

Quote:
I really wonder why we didn't go after Parkes and Landry at our rookie camp. Now, both guys have signed a contract. Good for them, but I wished it would have been with us.
you could add Antoine Roussel to that list. (not sign yet by the bruins) but heard some good word about him at the bruins camp from Kirk Luedeke on his blog

http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot...unday-919.html

Quote:
Antoine Roussel, LW-- Gritty little cuss (who turns 21 in Nov.) can really skate and plays with a lot of energy. Watching him in the rookie games and in the main camp sessions it doesn't make any sense that he went undrafted. He's a relentless forechecker, is all over the ice and neve moves his feet, and seems to be able to get into the avenues of approach and disrupt the play from developing smoothly up the ice. Boston has about four contracts left to hand out under their 50-deal ceiling. Based on what I've seen from Roussel, he should get one. Now. UPDATE: I found out that Roussel is on an AHL contract, so that could turn into something more down the road. He'll go to Providence for the time being, and if he impresses, could earn an NHL deal.

Old
09-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
you could add Antoine Roussel to that list. (not sign yet by the bruins) but heard some good word about him at the bruins camp from Kirk Luedeke on his blog

http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot...unday-919.html
Well I always was a Roussel fan as well though I will not believe he had a pretty high hockey IQ. He is though that relentless pinball man that could end up playing an effective 4th line role.

Old
09-24-2010, 04:31 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Neil Petruic signs in Hamilton

Quote:
Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced on Friday the signing of free agent defenseman Neil Petruic to an AHL contract. The 28-year-old blue-liner will join the Canadiens at training camp on Friday afternoon.
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=538495

http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/arti...ic-to-contract

Last edited by habsprospects: 09-24-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old
09-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:

Schultz shouldn't get time over Wyman on the 3rd line and I would think Bishop will be with the Dogs all year.
I disagree for 2 reasons

1.Habs have always given an advantage to players they got from via trades for some reason, Pouliot last season and Eller this season are good examplesé

2. Looking at Schultz overall potential which a lot more then Wyman and Bishop put together, they can't send a potential future NHL player to the ECHL for 2 career AHLers, it would be bad management imo.

Closed Thread