HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bottom 6-3rd line right wing

View Poll Results: 3rd line right winger?
Jannik Hansen 39 81.25%
Sergei Shirokov 3 6.25%
Victor Oreskovich 4 8.33%
Tanner Glass 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-24-2010, 09:32 PM
jimmythescot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoD View Post
yea he was but he fell of hard on his goal pace seeing how he didnt have a goal after he was traded to buffalo and then we a healthy scratch, he again has to prove that he is a 2.5 million a year player if he plays well this year i imagine he will sign a a nicer contract after this season
I find it very hard to believe a very close friend of his would be this blunt about his play.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:03 PM
RandomRules

EDIT** Short answer: I think they will stand pat and try Tambellini in the 3rd line RW slot.

In my opinion this could go one of two ways:

1) Canucks gamble on Mitchell, trade Bieksa for a third line winger.

I'm not entirely sold on this idea. I would LOVE to see Willie back because he's a great character guy and he deserves this more than anyone. Does it make sense for the Vancouver Canucks? In my opinion, no. There is too much at stake to take the gamble. That being said, Mitchell will probably play 60-70 games next season.

2) Canucks stand pat going into the season, don't sign Mitchell
I was with you all shouting at Mr. Bieksa last season time and time again for terrible giveaways, blown net coverage, and untimely penalties. Let's face it, he stunk. Was this due to him becoming a more complacent player or was it the leg injuries? One look at the fire in his eyes on a nightly basis tells me it was the injuries. Will he ever be the same again? Time will tell.. but if I'm the Canucks brass I'd think twice before dealing him. I think he has shown enough in the past to merit another shot. Don't forget things have changed now with Salo's latest injury.

Although we could obviously use another winger, I wouldn't deal Kevin Bieksa under these circumstances to get one. I think they will go with Tambellini on the third line and see how that works out. He could surprise many of you and I wonder if GMMG is thinking what I'm thinking in that JT was never really given a fair chance in a proper role. Failing Tambellini and/or Hansen they should look for a trade asap to fill this rather obvious hole but I'm guessing they won't look for a trade until trying different players for a couple of months.

Last edited by RandomRules: 08-24-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Didn't realize this post got so long!
RandomRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Nazzy-19

Torres would be great not only on the 3rd line, but as some insurance during those first months when Burrows is out in case one of the young guys isn't able grab the open spot and run with it.

Nazzy-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
I find it very hard to believe a very close friend of his would be this blunt about his play.
This.

Although if anybody has a buddy name Dino D, it's Raffi Torres - the spelling mistakes also seem to fit...

Raffi Torres would be a nice compliment to Malhotra and Hodgson/Hansen. Replacing Wellwood with Malhotra and Demitra with Torres would give the Canucks a much bigger, more physical 3rd line that should be able to outproduce last years group as well.

I hope this signing is true - I'll take an inconsistent 15 goal scorer over what the Canucks currently have slotted into the bottom 6. Not to mention if Torres ever gets his head on straight he could be a very valuable 2nd/3rd line winger. Hopefully Shane O'Brien can take Torres under his wing and show him what it takes to be a pro.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

How can anyone pen in Burrows in as anything but the 1st line RW? The man is the very best fit for the Sedins, period. In any other role, he'll be lucky to get around 20 goals. Optimize this $2 million asset and let him get his 35g/year.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
This.

Although if anybody has a buddy name Dino D, it's Raffi Torres - the spelling mistakes also seem to fit...

Raffi Torres would be a nice compliment to Malhotra and Hodgson/Hansen. Replacing Wellwood with Malhotra and Demitra with Torres would give the Canucks a much bigger, more physical 3rd line that should be able to outproduce last years group as well.

I hope this signing is true - I'll take an inconsistent 15 goal scorer over what the Canucks currently have slotted into the bottom 6. Not to mention if Torres ever gets his head on straight he could be a very valuable 2nd/3rd line winger. Hopefully Shane O'Brien can take Torres under his wing and show him what it takes to be a pro.
Sounds like Bernier

Old
08-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19 View Post
Sounds like Bernier
Nooooooooooooo! I didn't even realize it was Bernier I wanted all along.

If Bernier was making $1mil a year it would have made sense to keep him around - unfortunately he didn't show enough upside to wait around overpaying him in hopes he would one day put it all together.

Torres on the other hand has shown a few more flashes of excellent production and can put the puck in the net a lot at even strength - considering the Canucks already have their top 2 PP units set that's what they should be looking for from a 3rd line winger.

Even though Bernier finished most of his checks he never really trainwrecked anybody like Torres has been known to. It would nice in those battles against the Flames to have 3 players that can hurt people when they hit in Ballard, Torres and Oreskovich.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Moore Money

Quote:

If Bernier was making $1mil a year it would have made sense to keep him around - unfortunately he didn't show enough upside to wait around overpaying him in hopes he would one day put it all together.

Torres on the other hand has shown a few more flashes of excellent production and can put the puck in the net a lot at even strength - considering the Canucks already have their top 2 PP units set that's what they should be looking for from a 3rd line winger.

Even though Bernier finished most of his checks he never really trainwrecked anybody like Torres has been known to. It would nice in those battles against the Flames to have 3 players that can hurt people when they hit in Ballard, Torres and Oreskovich.
I'll take Torres over Bernier for the speed factor alone. Bernier is a slug. Having a big body is no use if they're always a step behind the play. Torres has better hands too.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
I'll take Torres over Bernier for the speed factor alone. Bernier is a slug. Having a big body is no use if they're always a step behind the play. Torres has better hands too.

I think everyone on this board agrees Torres > Bernier, I was just pointing out that they are similar types of players. I would have gladly kept Bernier at 1 mill as well.

Old
08-24-2010, 11:24 PM
xtr3m

vCash: 50
Quote:
sportsnetmurph

Im hearing the Canucks have bolstered their bottom six by signing Raffi Torres to a 1-year; 1-million dollar deal.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:26 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Personally I think that deserves one 'Wooo' instead of three but I'll allow it.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
all hail Dino D if true

Old
08-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Slapshot_11

Please be true even though I hated his guts when he was an oiler

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:28 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Torres would definitely be an upgrade on what we have in our bottom 6.

Which side does he play?

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post

Which side does he play?
He's primarily a left-shooting left winger. Takes the occasional faceoff and can play right wing as well, though.

Ovechking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post

Which side does he play?
On the note of Torres,

http://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph

1 year 1 mil

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Slapshot_11

I still don't believe this until TSN or someone else backs it up

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:34 PM
The Big Foot

This is funny timing to say the least.

Maybe the first domino to fall...next up, Mitchell, then Bieksa for a bottom line center and pick, then a new captain? Let's go Gillis!

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:34 PM
LostMyGlasses*

If Hodgson is NHL ready I could see a line of

Torres Malholtra Hodgson

With the fourth line looking like

Oreskovich Perrault Hansen/Rypien/Glass

I think Glass and Rypien may be fighting it out for the waiver wire, if the scouting staff and Gillis are as high on Oreskovich as many have mentioned...

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoD View Post
hedberg you will soon be shown how real i am
Looks like I have been shown how real you are.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:47 PM
VanEric

Gillis was interested in Torres at the deadline and I wasn't a fan of giving up a 2nd round pick for him like Buffalo did but Raffi Torres for $1 million trying to prove himself is something I like.

He was having a good season with the Jackets before he got dealt too. He certainly wouldn't be the first guy to move at the deadline and not fit in with his new team quickly enough.

He's never been used to kill penalties in his career so people shouldn't expect that from him.

Maybe Gillis has one more of these cheap late signings left in him?

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:59 PM
David71

can torres be anson carter v.2? ressurect his career in canada and get a bigger paycheque next summer? but mind u playing on the third line, hes good for 15 goals or so. I remember watching the oilers/nucks games, he was somewhat a canuck killer. decent hands around the net. hits people too.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:11 AM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

I hated playing against this guy. He better make me like him on this team quickly..

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:26 AM
DreamCatcher*

Brendan Morrison, who scored 34 ES points last season, would be an amazing addition as the 4th line center.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:30 AM
CanucksOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
Brendan Morrison, who scored 34 ES points last season, would be an amazing addition as the 4th line center.
1 year, $1M. Get it done Gillis!

CanucksOo is offline   Reply With Quote