HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Canucks-4th Line players

View Poll Results: Who will play on our 4th line
Darcy Hordichuck 2 2.20%
Tanner Glass 69 75.82%
Victor Oreskovich 76 83.52%
Rick Rypien 78 85.71%
Sergei Shirokov 2 2.20%
Jeff Tambellini 12 13.19%
Jordan Schroeder 5 5.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-24-2010, 06:46 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
The 'Hawks had three established C above Madden, the Canucks do not.
Exactly. If we actually had three established centers, then Gillis doesn't sign Malhotra. He was specifically brought in to establish a veteran, defensive presence on the 3rd line.

I still think people are putting far too many eggs in this Hodgson/Schroeder basket. I think they're great young prospect but we are supposedly a cup contending team this year, not in two or three years.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:47 PM
LostMyGlasses*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavyhookjaw View Post
Yeah, calling Madden a fourth line C was a stretch I think. Played meaningful minutes and centered a lot of different wingers.
The Hawks often played Sharp on the wing, and Bolland only played 39 games. Over the course of the season Bolland probably would have eaten into quite a few of Madden's face offs.

In the playoffs Bolland blew Madden out of the water. Sharp even took more face offs than Madden.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:50 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
The Hawks often played Sharp on the wing, and Bolland only played 39 games. Over the course of the season Bolland probably would have eaten into quite a few of Madden's face offs.

In the playoffs Bolland blew Madden out of the water. Sharp even took more face offs than Madden.
Bolland was miles better in the playoffs than when he first got healthy in the regular season. I do think they're better off adding another center and playing Sharp on the wing though. Doubt they have the space to make it work, but he's a great winger (only a very good center IMO).

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:01 PM
DingoAteMyBaby

Would love Begin centering it but oh well, Bolduc will do.

Glass/Rypien - Bolduc - Oreskovich

Its still more skilled then last years 4th line plus its still tough too.

I like how Oreskovich is a 10 goals/10 fight type of player.

DingoAteMyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:24 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Exactly. If we actually had three established centers, then Gillis doesn't sign Malhotra. He was specifically brought in to establish a veteran, defensive presence on the 3rd line.

I still think people are putting far too many eggs in this Hodgson/Schroeder basket. I think they're great young prospect but we are supposedly a cup contending team this year, not in two or three years.
i'm certainly not going to say it would be a remotely good idea to throw Hodgson in at 3rd line C and Malhotra to center the 4th right off the bat. let the kid get acclimatized for most of a season at least. test the waters first. and like i said, it depends entirely on whether or not Hodgson is capable of it by the end of the year. but if he is...why hold him back? getting an edge in todays NHL is all about having overperforming youngsters on affordable ELCs.

Like Madden, i see Malhotra signed as our veteran 3rd line C, who could very well be bumped to the 4th line for the greater good of the team if Hodgson can perform up to high expectations.

It's all just speculation at this point though, as is all of the rest of this. If Hodgson isn't ready for that kind of responsibility, or even for the NHL...then it's a moot point and Malhotra remains the 3rd line C.

The point is, Championship teams don't give a hoot about 'oooo we signed this guy as our 3rd liner, he's paid too much to play on the 4th', "its such a waste to have an elite FO man on the 4th line', etc. They just ice the best lineup possible. And personally, i see a very real potential for Hodgson to EVENTUALLY supplant Malhotra as 3rd line C, at which point Malhotra becomes more useful as 4th line C rather than 3rd line W.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:46 PM
GCM
Stork

Glass - Rypien - Oreskovich with the options presented.

Glass - Perrault - Oreskovich most likely.

We could use the crash and bang style pretty desperately here in Van city.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote