HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Your Routine?

Old
08-17-2010, 09:19 PM
milkshow

vCash: 500
Your Routine?

Lately I've been doing more of a bodybuilding split. I'm looking for ideas where I can make my routine more hockey specific. What do you guys do or any ideas?

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 01:11 AM
WhooFleuryScores

Pregame?

U mean like a pregame routine?

WhooFleuryScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 03:38 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

He's talking about a gym routine. Just skate man.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 07:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat - rest days

I don't train right now as I'm recovering from a back injury from overtraining. I'm fairly strong right now but I'm in horrible cardio shape so I'm going to TRY to run 3x per week and hope my knees hold up.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Blueland89

I've done the sames kind of workouts it sounds like your doing know working out to build size and strength. Since I've started playing hockey I've changed my workout up. Rowing machine is the best overall workout you can get works chest, legs, and gives you cardio all at the same time and you can do 10 minutes on one and not wanna do anything else it'll wear you out. Lots of leg workouts hitting all diffrent muscles not just squats, calf raises, extensions, leg curls excercises that hit certain areas. For my arms I just do a basic workout but i focus a lot on my forearms. Do a lot of core training it will help with your posture skating and it's helped my stick handling don't kow if it's because I can keep balance eaier or what but it has help stickhandling, my shot, my stride everything. skate a lot.

I've only been playing for about 3 months now so I'm not expert but that what i do.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

I use an interval trainer with 1.5 min intervals and do a boxing style workout.

Short intense intervals train your body to handle the lactic acid that comes with intense anaerobic activity. 45 minutes of 1.5 min intervals will increase your endurance as well. All you need is a skip rope, gloves and a bag.

- Skipping helps develop quick feet
- Shadow boxing develops quick hands
- Hitting the bag develops you core and power and torque
- situps develop core

This workout gives you
Anerobic training
Endurance training
Core training
Power training
Handspeed
Footspeed

Throw in a a double ended bag and you can inprove hand eye coordination and handspeed as well.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 10:51 AM
noobman

Now that my knee is starting to feel better, I might give this CrossFit thing a try.

I can see why it's so addictive... you're doing the same exercises for the day as everyone across the world, and comparing your results. It breeds competition and gives you a measurable way to track performance.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I used a premade routine this summer, because I had no time for anything, but I'm back next week on the routine that made me gain the most strength.

It's a Westside barbell inspired routine. But hockey is not my main sport anymore. Since it's yours, I highly recommend checking Westside for skinny ******** part III. It's just a great, great program for any sport.

It's basically a four day split:

Max effort lower body
Max effort upper body
Dynamic effort lower body
Dynamic effort upper body

A max effort exercise is one where you go up to your 1 rep max.

A dynamic effort exercise is one where speed is the focus. I go with three week waves of box squatting. I use 5o to 70% of my 1 rep max and do 12 to 8 sets of 2-3 reps at max speed with 45 sec rest.

Since I powerlift, I use bench/squat specific exercises. You would use the same lower body exercise, but your upper body work would different. You would drop the speed bench for some Push Jerks + a ton of repetitions after for example.

Mine looks like this:

Max effort suspended good morning
Free squats (5x5, rep max or 3x5)
Good mornings/back raises for reps
Abdominal work

Max effort ultra wide grip bench
Bench (5x5, rep max or 3x5)
Bent over rows
(Dips)
(chin ups)

Speed box squats
Deadlifts (5x5, rep max, 3x5)
Front squats
some assistance for volume
Abdominal work

Speed bench
Press (5x5, rep max, 3x5)
Pull ups
Chest rows
Triceps

On days after upper body workouts:

I do a ton of dips or DB bench and pull ups (50 to 100)

After lower body workouts I do reps of reverse hypers unweighted, posterior chain work and light abs. This is both for recovery and hypertrophy

Sometimes I work on technique.

You don't need the technique work or bench/squat specialization. I would do the 4 day split and recovery work in the off-season.

This is a completely inappropriate program if you're in a serious league for in-season training. Drop the volume and frequency.

I like recovery a lot, I recommend it. All the posterior chain work and squatting is incredible. Good mornings, free squats, front squats and speed work will make you a monster. Add in a lot of upper body pulling and after 6 months everyone on your team will think you've been roiding. You'll ask yourself how is it you had problems gaining 5lbs, when you've just gained 15-20. Hockey is a disaster when it comes to strength and conditioning, be ahead of the curve.

Sled work, car pushing/pulling... all that strongman training is really good as well. Just don't ADD to the program, but replace something as you'll just overstrain yourself.

Last edited by Little Nilan: 08-18-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 11:06 PM
milkshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
I used a premade routine this summer, because I had no time for anything, but I'm back next week on the routine that made me gain the most strength.

It's a Westside barbell inspired routine. But hockey is not my main sport anymore. Since it's yours, I highly recommend checking Westside for skinny ******** part III. It's just a great, great program for any sport.

It's basically a four day split:

Max effort lower body
Max effort upper body
Dynamic effort lower body
Dynamic effort upper body

A max effort exercise is one where you go up to your 1 rep max.

A dynamic effort exercise is one where speed is the focus. I go with three week waves of box squatting. I use 5o to 70% of my 1 rep max and do 12 to 8 sets of 2-3 reps at max speed with 45 sec rest.

Since I powerlift, I use bench/squat specific exercises. You would use the same lower body exercise, but your upper body work would different. You would drop the speed bench for some Push Jerks + a ton of repetitions after for example.

Mine looks like this:

Max effort suspended good morning
Free squats (5x5, rep max or 3x5)
Good mornings/back raises for reps
Abdominal work

Max effort ultra wide grip bench
Bench (5x5, rep max or 3x5)
Bent over rows
(Dips)
(chin ups)

Speed box squats
Deadlifts (5x5, rep max, 3x5)
Front squats
some assistance for volume
Abdominal work

Speed bench
Press (5x5, rep max, 3x5)
Pull ups
Chest rows
Triceps

On days after upper body workouts:

I do a ton of dips or DB bench and pull ups (50 to 100)

After lower body workouts I do reps of reverse hypers unweighted, posterior chain work and light abs. This is both for recovery and hypertrophy

Sometimes I work on technique.

You don't need the technique work or bench/squat specialization. I would do the 4 day split and recovery work in the off-season.

This is a completely inappropriate program if you're in a serious league for in-season training. Drop the volume and frequency.

I like recovery a lot, I recommend it. All the posterior chain work and squatting is incredible. Good mornings, free squats, front squats and speed work will make you a monster. Add in a lot of upper body pulling and after 6 months everyone on your team will think you've been roiding. You'll ask yourself how is it you had problems gaining 5lbs, when you've just gained 15-20. Hockey is a disaster when it comes to strength and conditioning, be ahead of the curve.

Sled work, car pushing/pulling... all that strongman training is really good as well. Just don't ADD to the program, but replace something as you'll just overstrain yourself.
Thanks for the great input! You always have the best posts when it comes to training, just thought I'd let you know

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Ani simov mal

From July 1st, to August 15th my routine had been about gaining strength. I would also go up in weight each warm up set. On my working sets I stayed on the same weight. The reason for this was to warm up the central nervous system without getting any muscle fatigue. Here is an example - I did 9 sets for squats. I started with 135, 155, 185, 205, 225 for the first 5 sets. For the remaining 4 sets, I did 250 pounds. I also lowered the reps each week for the working sets only. For example, my final week working sets for the squat was 4x1.

Monday: Squat 9x6, bench press 6x6, leg press 7x6, military press 6x6
Tuesday: Hockey
Wednesday: Cheated barbell rows 8x6, triceps extension 6x6, chin ups, bicep curls 6x6
Thursday: Hockey
Friday: Deadlift 9x6, Incline Bench Press 6x6, Shrugs 6x6, Toe ups 6x6
Saturday: Day off
Sunday: Hockey

From August 16th until September 13th (still in the routine) was training for power and speed. I did not use the higher weight each set method. I just stick with the same weight for the entire excercise.

Monday: Pylometrics then hockey
Tuesday: Hockey, but make sure I do 3 sets of suicides
Wednesday: Barbell squat jumps 4x6, Bench Press 3x5, Hang Clean 4x6, Military Press 4x6
Thursday: On ice aerobic conditioning (sprint for 15 seconds, coast for 30 for 6 reps and 3 sets.)
Friday: Different varietys of core workouts
Saturday: Day off
Sunday: Dumbell squat jumps, Bench Press, Standing broad jumps (3 sets, reps increase each week.)

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Ricky Bobby

I'm going to assume your an adult just playing in a regular beer league. And under that assumption I would say the best workouts for beer league hockey are:

-Cardio machines with a highlevel of resistance and intervals (I personally like the treadmill with a really steep incline and then mix up my speeds a lot to get intervals).

-Try to work out your core to prevent injuries (it is especially important to do hip and groin strengthing excercises as they are they typically neglected until an injury occurs)

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Briere Up There*

For hockey?

4 sets of squats, 3 sets of split legged front squats, 4 sets of deadlifts, preceded and succeeded by stretching focusing on hamstring, quad and hip flexors

Then between 20-30 minutes on the bike with a minute at 80% intensity, and a half a minute at 50% or so

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 10:34 AM
pucko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimov View Post
Thursday: On ice aerobic conditioning (sprint for 15 seconds, coast for 30 for 6 reps and 3 sets.)
I do that too but I tend to think of it as anaerobic (30-45 sec)/ATP (5-15 sec). and for aerobic conditioning, i do about 2 min:2 min.

I go to public skating sessions 1-2 times a week and do my interval training on ice. I can't think of a reason (other than cost issues) why people would prefer dry land interval training, like running or cycling, instead of skating...

pucko is offline   Reply With Quote