HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expectations For Braydon Coburn

Old
08-22-2010, 10:24 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Expectations For Braydon Coburn

When we first got Coburn from Atlanta I thought it was an absolute robbery job by the Flyers. Sadly each season Coby has declined in his play. I though with the addition of Pronger he would grew and become a better more physical force out there. At 6'5 220lbs he should be a wrecking ball out there. What really makes me mad with him is that he can be so much better. Im not even talking about "potential" I mean he just as the tools be an elite guy out there. He can skate like the wind and is HUGE. That combo doesnt happen very often. I was really debating o whether or not I wanted the Flyers to re-sign him. Well they did so Im expecting some good play this year. He showed a sliver of hope in the playoffs this year so I am HOPING he can build off that. I could care less how many points he scores this year as long as he is a LOT better defensively and plays more physical. If he only got 4 goals 16 assists but played well Id be fine.

So what to you guys want to see from Coburn this year?

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
I think a B Grade Jay Bouwmeester is his ceiling and what he needs to do is even out his focus/consistency to get there. He's got two of the best in the business to learn from.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:31 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
So what to you guys want to see from Coburn this year?
A continuation from the playoffs.

From March and through the playoffs he seemed to have recaptured his 2007-08 form.

All I want to see from him right now is that, and we will go from there. He has all the tools, and up until he started to get back into rhythm, it felt as if he was missing the confidence.

He won't ever be a physical monster night in and night out, but with his skating, size, and positioning, he doesn't need to be.

What I want to see from him by the end of 2010-11 is the ability to consistently anchor a pairing. He is not inconsistent. He is either good or bad for long stretches. That bodes well for his future, but I want to know he won't let go of the rhythm he has finally re-established. If he can learn to not let go of that and go back down that slide, he will be a strong defenseman for the remainder of his career.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:35 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
I think a B Grade Jay Bouwmeester is his ceiling and what he needs to do is even out his focus/consistency to get there. He's got two of the best in the business to learn from.
Braydon seemed to have gotten his game back on track during the playoffs....He certainly was not up to speed during the regular season for the most part.I always have liked him as a player and hope he can put together a great season this year. Always wondered if a few of them bad pucks to the face injuries he had a few years back might have made him a little hesitant out there on the ice [ thinking too much ].He has a lot of upside and can really fly around the ice on his skates,its surprising how fast that cat is, just needs to stay focused for 60 minutes and he will be fine.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
i just want him to get his act together, and play to his size...not like he's a thinner danny briere.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 10:41 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
hes part of the greatest defensive group ever assembled in the history of the NHL.
he will be fine, when paired with Timonen of course.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 11:12 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 10000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
To play like he did in the playoffs, and in 07-08 pre being hit in the face by a puck. Use his body more, make smart decisions, and contribute in both ends of the ice.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 11:52 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'd say for him to only get 20 some points but definitely step up his defensive game more than last year.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
If he picks up right where he left off, I would be pretty pleased with him.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:13 AM
mypunkrock

It took him two years to get his form back.

I really hope Coburn has finally recovered from getting hit in the face. Unfortunately, I'm also concerned that he only played the way he did because it was a contract year and Holmgren's short memory.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:14 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Same here. I think Laviolette should take him off the Powerplay to help him focus soley on his defensive game. We have enough offensive D men to run the points. Let Coburn have time on the PK with Pronger to teach him a little.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 05:13 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I don't think we can underestimate the impact of being hit in the face with a puck. Hopefully he has gotten over that now, and the second half of last season was no fluke.

We need to make him angry! so we can see the hulk!

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 09:09 AM
rban*

What he needs to do is simple. the guy who said get him capable of 'anchoring a pairing is right'.

BRAYDON needs to be able to play as well as he did in the POs .. but without the crutch of Timo as a partner. If he can play that well with any Dman as a partner he's there.

REMEMBER: in not more than 2-3 years, Timo and Prongs will both be very very old. BRAYDON< Mesz et al have to take over from them.

BIG shoes to fill.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 09:17 AM
IrishSniper87

Carle, Meszaros and Coburn are all about 25 years old, which is kinda awesome. As Pronger and Timonen decline, these guys SHOULD be slowly stepping up and improving.

I hope Coburn can play well this season and prove me right.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 10:07 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
A continuation from the playoffs.

From March and through the playoffs he seemed to have recaptured his 2007-08 form.

All I want to see from him right now is that, and we will go from there. He has all the tools, and up until he started to get back into rhythm, it felt as if he was missing the confidence.

He won't ever be a physical monster night in and night out, but with his skating, size, and positioning, he doesn't need to be.

What I want to see from him by the end of 2010-11 is the ability to consistently anchor a pairing. He is not inconsistent. He is either good or bad for long stretches. That bodes well for his future, but I want to know he won't let go of the rhythm he has finally re-established. If he can learn to not let go of that and go back down that slide, he will be a strong defenseman for the remainder of his career.

Coburn is too stupid to anchor a pairing. For what he has in size and skating ability, he lacks in hockey IQ. He needs Pronger and Timonen to anchor him, because he can't be trusted making important decisions on every shift.

For as bad as he played with Kimmo for a majority of last year, he did pick it up in the playoffs. Maybe he finally realized money was at stake. Now with Mezaros and O'Donnell in the mix, who knows where everybody will be slotted at ES, PP, PK. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 10:18 AM
CptCannon

I have high hopes on BrayCo (like someone called him two years back haha). He has shown what he's capable of doing, he just gotta start doing that more constantly.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 10:31 AM
infidelappel*

I expect Coburn will make at least a dozen boneheaded passes in his own zone. He may or may not be directly responsible for a handful of goals against.

I also expect that he'll have some great rushes up-ice, and his fair share of good plays.

In all seriousness, though, I would just love to see him play like he did in the playoffs for the majority of the season. If he can do that and be solid and reliable for all or close to all of the year and the playoffs, I'll be very happy and it'd go a long way towards demonstrating that he's finally putting his tools together correctly.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:08 AM
jb**

I dont think /coburn is ever going ot live up to the expectations many have for him. IMO he will be a solid second pairing dman. If thats the case i can live with that. He will never be this #1 dman so many think he will become. At what point does this "potential" become reality? Maybe this is the dman he will be. always leaving you wanting more.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:10 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Coburn is too stupid to anchor a pairing.
Actually Coburn is a pretty smart defenseman. A lot of his issues came when he was second guessing himself. He needs for things to be second nature again.

And no, overthinking is not a sign of stupidity, it's a sign of a stage in growth. All players go through that kind of stuff. It hit Coburn really hard is all.

He's smarter than Carle. I can say that pretty easily.

Quote:
For what he has in size and skating ability, he lacks in hockey IQ.
Incorrect.

Quote:
He needs Pronger and Timonen to anchor him, because he can't be trusted making important decisions on every shift.
You're thinking of Carle. Coburn just needs to settle himself down, and he will be a solid anchor defenseman.

Quote:
For as bad as he played with Kimmo for a majority of last year, he did pick it up in the playoffs. Maybe he finally realized money was at stake. Now with Mezaros and O'Donnell in the mix, who knows where everybody will be slotted at ES, PP, PK. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Well, it makes Carle our 5th best defenseman behind Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, and Meszaros in that order.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:25 AM
BringBackStevens

Tough crowd around here.

He's had his ups and downs but even with his downs he's a quality #4 and still has plenty of ability and time to improve on that

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 12:15 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Actually Coburn is a pretty smart defenseman. A lot of his issues came when he was second guessing himself. He needs for things to be second nature again.

And no, overthinking is not a sign of stupidity, it's a sign of a stage in growth. All players go through that kind of stuff. It hit Coburn really hard is all.

He's smarter than Carle. I can say that pretty easily.

Incorrect.

You're thinking of Carle. Coburn just needs to settle himself down, and he will be a solid anchor defenseman.

Well, it makes Carle our 5th best defenseman behind Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, and Meszaros in that order.
Why are you turning a thread about Coburn into an indictment on Carle. You are probably expecting me to take the bait, but I won't. Everybody here knows Carle's strengths and weaknesses. Coby is not a smart defensemen, it would be disingenuous to say so. While every D-man on this team makes boneheaded plays on occassion, Pronger and Kimmo included, Coburn's repeated mistakes for the majority of last year speak to deficient decision making, not a crisis of confidence. He improved in the playoffs, but not to the level of being able to anchor a pairing.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

14 PPGs while planted directly in front of the opposing goalie (a la Pronger against NJ).

No, actually, he may have finally turned a corner after almost being a little gun shy (like a batter who gets beaned). I think it will be slow and steady progress over the next couple of years.
IMO, he is a bit of a whipping boy on here. Just watched the WC again, and he and Hartnell played very well. Yeah, the last goal was on a backdoor play behind Coburn, but all of the Flyers slowed expecting a too many men penalty on Boston. In that environment, who knows what was going on among the Flyers on the ice.
Coburn was very inconsistent back then, but put together a solid game. After the Olys, he was someone who could be counted on defensively (something that obviously can't be said about all of the Flyers D-men). He played top-4, and was double-shifted to anchor the third pairing during the playoffs. Only he, Pronger and Timonen were consistenly on both the PP and PK. I think that says something of what the Flyers expect from him. He's currently a No. 3 with two all-star veterans ahead of him.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Both he and Carle need more experience and more confidence. Not only are they both pretty young for DMen, they have had some setbacks in their development getting moved around, injured, etc.

Look at Pitkanen, he looked like he was regressing or not going to fulfill potential but I think the Canes are very pleased with the way he is turning out. IMO he is more talented than either of these guys and even he had a moment or two where he looked lost in terms of both his mental approach and his on-ice production (and for somewhat similar reasons).

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:16 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Coburn is a player that coaches need to be consistently on top of in order to get the most out of him. While I think the puck in the face hindered him, it's something that can't be used as an excuse for two years of poor play. If that's the case, then Lupul should have been given two years to recover from nearly being decapitated by Derian Hatcher (and wasn't it funny how quick people were to run him out of town, yet the same people consistently coddled Coburn).

If the coaching staff can keep on top of Coburn and can keep his mistakes to one or two a game, then all should be fine. I think Coburn ends up being a shut down guy like what they thought Parent would turn out to be. I'd like to see Pronger and Hatcher help bring out Coburn's physical game because at 6'5, 220+ pounds, he should be making himself more authoritative out there. Add to the fact that he can skate, he should be the guy who is out there when guys like Ovechkin or Crosby or Malkin are buzzing around because he's got the speed and size to keep up.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:21 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Better than last year but not as good as I thought he could be at the beginning of last year.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote