HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Umberger still talking with Rangers and 6 other teams..

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2004, 06:48 PM
jdsrangers

vCash: 500
Umberger still talking with Rangers and 6 other teams..

Some interesting quotes from his agent Brian Lawton in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this morning:
*--"It's not really about the money for R.J.,"
*--About the Rangers--"I think they're still interested," Umberger said. "I don't know why a deal wasn't done."

*--After all, now that he has waited nearly two years since the Canucks drafted him, Umberger has the luxury of picking his team, of going to a place where he will be comfortable and his talents will be most valuable.

Quote from RJ: "It's about finding an organization I can succeed with and be excited to play for," he said. "An organization that thinks I can succeed. I have to pick it right."

I still believe that Umberger and the Rangers are a good fit. Umbee's boyhood idol was Jagr. Sather knows the kid has talent but wasn't going to give away the store to sign him. He has a good chance to make the Rangers this season. He also knows the Rangers do this first class. If he plays his cards right he will signed & ready for Ranger prospect camp in Calgary in August, which will get him in NHL shape.

Here is the link for the story:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04155/326286.stm

Old
06-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
thanks for the update i was wondering what was going on

Old
06-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Broadway Brett

I hope we sign him...

Old
06-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Ocelot

Don't we get a pick if we dont sign him? Or so we get that now that it is after June 1st?

Old
06-03-2004, 07:30 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2J129
Don't we get a pick if we dont sign him? Or so we get that now that it is after June 1st?
we get the pick now that he has become a ufa because we lost his rights, it doesn't matter who he signs with. the ONLY thing that could change that would be if the league thought the rangers delayed the signing until after the deadline to get the pick and signed him a couple hours after the deadline...but there is nothing to support that claim in this situation

Old
06-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Barnaby

I wouldn't get too excited about him playing for us this year... he hasnt played in an organized game in how many years?

I think Sather has played this brilliantly so far. He didn't cave into him - he was patient until the deadline so we picked up a 2nd. Now if we want we can sign him - we can afford to give him a little more then anyone else - and we can offer him a great chance to play in the NHL soon.

Old
06-03-2004, 07:35 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I wouldn't get too excited about him playing for us this year... he hasnt played in an organized game in how many years?
ummm...one...

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Closed Thread