HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Putting Carter into Perspective

Old
08-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
If you could have gotten one of Bernier or Quick and J Johnson or Simmonds in a trade with LA for Carter which would you have done it?

Gagne scored two game winners with a broken toe, Carter only had one broken foot, we have to assume the previous problem had healed.
a broken foot is a little less severe than a broken toe, and i don't see how we have to assume the previous problem had healed, since he came back early from that as well. that tends to aggravate injuries.

also, no, i would not have traded carter for any of them.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 01:11 PM
FlyersCup08

I think Carter is a hell of a player, that's not my point. I think this team as a whole would be better if we got a legit No.1 goalie at the expense of Carter. With Richards, Briere, and Giroux, I don't think we'd miss Carter that much. It has nothing to do with how good he is, it has to do with would I rather him or a goalie. I choose goalie.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
I think Carter is a hell of a player, that's not my point. I think this team as a whole would be better if we got a legit No.1 goalie at the expense of Carter. With Richards, Briere, and Giroux, I don't think we'd miss Carter that much. It has nothing to do with how good he is, it has to do with would I rather him or a goalie. I choose goalie.
We would really miss Carter... not just his offense, but his ability to play a defensive shift. Richards would be dead by the end of an 82 game schedule if he was backed up by just Briere (terrible) and Giroux (not much better) behind him defensively.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
a broken foot is a little less severe than a broken toe, and i don't see how we have to assume the previous problem had healed, since he came back early from that as well. that tends to aggravate injuries.

also, no, i would not have traded carter for any of them.
Neither is comfortable when putting the foot into a hardcast skate boot with little to no flexibility in the foot area.

If you would not have moved Carter for any of those moves it is exactly why Homer has us in this situation, not able to look outside the box and get a goalie who can help this team move forward and another player in the deal who will not affect the cap and get some cap flexibility.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Neither is comfortable when putting the foot into a hardcast skate boot with little to no flexibility in the foot area.

If you would not have moved Carter for any of those moves it is exactly why Homer has us in this situation, not able to look outside the box and get a goalie who can help this team move forward and another player in the deal who will not affect the cap and get some cap flexibility.
Or, ya know, you could consider moving someone else... like *gasp* Giroux.

Old
08-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:

there were about 4,658 decent goalies available in UFA this summer, and every single one is better than leighton. we get to keep carter by signing one of them, too.

Old
08-23-2010, 01:21 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Or GASP one of our 5 defenders who make over $3mill.

Or Matt Walker, our 7th who makes $1.75

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

Well, none of them is going to net you the no. 1 goalie he's talking about... and I'm on record saying I'm open to moving Giroux for a legit, young, NHL-ready goalie with high potential.

I mean, even if you were to make a deal involving Carter... I'd want to acquire another center, because Richards, Briere, and Giroux down the middle is a terrible idea.

Old
08-23-2010, 01:24 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Well, none of them is going to net you the no. 1 goalie he's talking about... and I'm on record saying I'm open to moving Giroux for a legit, young, NHL-ready goalie with high potential.
People are talking Carter for Bernier.

Please excuse me while I cry. I'd like a goalie who has at least seen the NHL before we ship out our best offensive threat.

Old
08-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Jester

Quote:

Please excuse me while I cry. I'd like a goalie who has at least seen the NHL before we ship out our best offensive threat.
Yeah, absolutely. I would also consider Giroux in a deal for Bernier... But, at the same time, we now have some potentials in the system, that makes such a deal a bit different to contemplate.

If only we'd just signed Turco for a couple of years...

Old
08-23-2010, 01:42 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

I am getting REALLY sick of all the Carter hate on this board.

Carter is one of the last players i would trade on this team. You dont just trade away a big, fast, defensively responsible scoring center. You're a moron if you do that. Plus, Carter is better suited to play the center position than both Briere and Giroux. If we move him, our center depth goes from being great to being below average. He's a big part of that depth and versatility. Holmgren and the Flyers have made it perfectly clear that they want Carter to stay. Homer stated recently, that contract talks with Carters agent have already begun. Carter has also made it clear that he wants to be a Flyer, and Carter doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to be asking for an astronomical contract, and i think he will take a reasonable number on a longer term contract in order to stay with the team. I am confident that both Carter and Giroux will be locked up before free agency next summer.

We don't need to trade Carter, especially not for a top goalie who will take over in net when we have 2 very capable and highly touted goalie prospects to look forward to. What we need is a competent vet goaltender who is at the very least, reliable and we don't need to trade Jeff Carter to get that.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Those people are clueless.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:11 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Ignore Cartsiephan and 97% of negative posts regarding Carter disappear.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
I agree, move Giroux and give Carter a 10 year $500million dollar contract with a NMC.

Old
08-23-2010, 02:24 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Why are we even considering dealing Carter now? We need him for this season; if we do trade him, it will be during the offseason if we can't resign him.

You don't trade your arguably top center if you have abundant center depth. You deal from the bottom unless you're wowed by some offer.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post

Carter is one of the last players i would trade on this team. You dont just trade away a big, fast, defensively responsible scoring center. You're a moron if you do that. Plus, Carter is better suited to play the center position than both Briere and Giroux. If we move him, our center depth goes from being great to being below average. He's a big part of that depth and versatility. Holmgren and the Flyers have made it perfectly clear that they want Carter to stay. Homer stated recently, that contract talks with Carters agent have already begun. Carter has also made it clear that he wants to be a Flyer, and Carter doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to be asking for an astronomical contract, and i think he will take a reasonable number on a longer term contract in order to stay with the team. I am confident that both Carter and Giroux will be locked up before free agency next summer.

We don't need to trade Carter, especially not for a top goalie who will take over in net when we have 2 very capable and highly touted goalie prospects to look forward to. What we need is a competent vet goaltender who is at the very least, reliable and we don't need to trade Jeff Carter to get that.
This cracks me up, do you have Jeff Carter signed underwear too?

I cannot wait to see the egg on faces after this season, it is going to be effing hilarious.

And if reasonable contract as in 7yrs and $7mill per year I agree.....

And BTW, Flyers played their best hockey of the year without Carter at center, BEST HOCKEY OF THE YEAR.

Last edited by Cartsiephan*: 08-23-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old
08-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
there were about 4,658 decent goalies available in UFA this summer, and every single one is better than leighton. we get to keep carter by signing one of them, too.
With the invisible cap maybe, but not in a cap structured environment. And which goalie aer you talking about, not a lot out there period. Quick may be available if Bernier takes over the job, otherwise it is still a weak market or top dollar for an older Vokoun.

Old
08-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

There are people who would not deal Carter for Bernier, J Johnson, and a 3rd round pick and those people are sitting on the john reading the boxscores and not seeing Bernier play, legit #1 goalie NOW in O&B for the starting job.

Old
08-23-2010, 02:35 PM
IrishSniper87

So far, Giroux's extension should not be higher then $3 per. And Carter is already at $5.

Move Hartnell and re-sign the centers. Centers>Wingers anyway.

Old
08-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
With the invisible cap maybe, but not in a cap structured environment. And which goalie aer you talking about, not a lot out there period. Quick may be available if Bernier takes over the job, otherwise it is still a weak market or top dollar for an older Vokoun.
its easy. don't resign leighton. sign goalie. there were a boatload. with our defense, turco would have sufficed.

im perfectly serious when i ask this: did jeff carter beat the **** out of you in middle school? because otherwise, your obsessive hatred of him is really creepy.

Old
08-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
I agree, move Giroux and give Carter a 10 year $500million dollar contract with a NMC.
NHL would nix the deal.

Old
08-23-2010, 03:00 PM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Clerk View Post
This has been mentioned numerous times but for Carter to succeed he needs to have the puck on his stick. When he was with Lupul and Hartnell it was the perfect line because Lupul was a floater/sniper, he didn't need the puck to do what he did best he just needed someone to open up the ice for him like Carter did. Hartnell did what he was supposed to do, play the power forward role. Again not needing the puck on his stick to do his job. This is the reason Carter doesn't fit in anywhere because he doesn't have a set of wingers that compliment his style of play. The best line I can think of is if we go with these lines and this top 9.

Zherdev-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
JVR-Carter-Carcillo

The logic here is that Carcillo creates the room for the others to work, while Carter brings a lot of the attention towards him, taking the pressure of JVR and opening up areas for him. Still with this lineup there are a lot of players who need the puck on their stick to create plays. This makes it hard to determine lines until they begin play, to see where the chemistry is.
This.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:30 PM
MsWoof

Watching Phi/Bos game 1 on NHL Network and Briere screwed up on Boston's second goal. Doc and Edzo are talking about how weak Briere is defensively.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:

DISREGARD GOALTENDING

ACQUIRE DEFENSEMEN

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 07:21 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Watching Phi/Bos game 1 on NHL Network and Briere screwed up on Boston's second goal. Doc and Edzo are talking about how weak Briere is defensively.
And their 4th goal... to quote Pierre "Briere was checking... air"

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote