Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predict the Northwest

Old
08-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

vCash: 500
Once people realize that unicorns are just horses that can stab people I'm sure the Wild will be a major threat to the NHL.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:02 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Once people realize that unicorns are just horses that can stab people I'm sure the Wild will be a major threat to the NHL.
Easily, I mean look at our division:
-Flames: Yes they can burn down the house but it's not like unicorns don't have healing powers. Oh wait they do...
-Avalanche: Might be the biggest threat. Can try to bury the unicorn, but I'm sure the sword on the head can stab and melt ice.
-Oilers: Is this even a real thing? Would win if this was Captain Planet or the Gulf of Mexico but that's too evil to be associated with unicorns.
-Canucks: Group of people who don't have special powers - don't stand a chance against unicorns.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Can the Wild Unicorn fly? If so, an Avalanche isn't even intimidating. Also, if it can indeed fly, there's gonna be much nastier messes to clean off people's car windows every morning. We'll all eventually forget that bird poop was once considered a nuisance. Watch out (or up) NW Division.

Old
08-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Vancouver
Colorado
Minnesota
Calgary
Edmonton

Vancouver's stacked but they will still CHOKE in the playoffs
Colorado and Minny can easily swap places because both teams have questionable defense
Calgary has such negativity and lack of confidence and a worse roster
Edmonton just doesn't have an NHL team

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:35 PM
shogun99

Vancouver (1st)- Improved defence, twins will shine again, good supporting cast

Calgary (6th)- Team will be motivated, after this year I predict a long stretch of the Flames missing the playoffs.

Minnesota (9th)- Only reason this team finishes this high is Backstrom.

Colorodo (10th)- Sophomore slump, Anderson comes back down to earth.

Edmonton (15th)- Rookies gain valuable playing experience.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:35 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Can the Wild Unicorn fly? If so, an Avalanche isn't even intimidating. Also, if it can indeed fly, there's gonna be much nastier messes to clean off people's car windows every morning. We'll all eventually forget that bird poop was once considered a nuisance. Watch out (or up) NW Division.
I don't know, but this might be a low point even for me.

Old
08-24-2010, 06:23 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

It’s honestly pretty much impossible for me to not do a serious take through the NW division teams.

Plus, my opinion will change based on the rosters as they will stand after the pre-season. Here are my basic thoughts;

Calgary:
There are plenty of open questions in my mind when it comes to Calgary. Are we going to see a Jokinen return to Florida form? What about Iginla, who never really did well with Jokinen at center. I can see a Tanguay – Jokinen - <insert defensive RW’er> 2nd line and a Hagman - <insert defensive center> - Iginla 1st line easier than I can see a Tanguay – Jokinen – Iginla combination. They still have some decent pieces, but I just don’t see a lot of strong games or strong stretches of play. Sure, they have Kipper, but who is their back up? Karlsson? Never heard of him doing anything decent, but that could just be my lack of knowledge about Swedish goal tenders. All things being equal, I see them ending the season out of the play-offs again. Remember, the Wild went 5-1 against Calgary last season.

Colorado:
I have zero confidence in Anderson repeating this season. However, they will still be playing a 1-2-2 system with Liles, Quincey, Foote and Hannan as the defensive foundation. Is there a reason why the Wild went 5-1 against them last season? The Avs played much stronger against stronger teams, but they really started to fade after the Olympic break. I would say that trend continues into December, when they have another up-surge, and then another slump post trade deadline.

Edmonton:
Tough to call because of how bottom feeding teams did last season. Remember, they will have Hall and MPS in the line up this fall. If Khabibulin is healthy, I can easily see this young group out performing much like Colorado did last season and making a huge splash. They also have a new bench boss, one that supposedly builds great rapport with the players and will play them to their strengths. Renney made the post-season each full year he was the coach of the Rangers. He’s a line shuffling mad man as well, so he won’t hesitate to try to win the chess match. This is something that the other NW division coaches aren’t that good at, so we’ll see if he’s a better chessman.

Minnesota:
It’s pretty clear that I don’t think Richards is up to the job of keeping an NHL team on a winning track. However, with the hiring of Wilson, our D gets stronger. How much conflict will there be between a “free wheeling” head coach and a tight defensive coach? A lot will hang on that answer. If the Wild get their D in line, then they can do better than 13th in the west. However, it’s not very likely. The roster is still weak on scoring and we still have a goalie that has less than stellar lateral movement. However, much like Brodeur, if the D play better positional hockey, then there will likely be fewer 2nd chances like there were last season.

Vancouver:
Scary good, but this will be the year that Luongo gets injured. It always seems to me that he goes down for an extended period of time every other year. Last season, they dealt with an injured Sedin. Yet, they still have the better D roster than anyone else in the division. With a balanced double threat of scoring lines, AV will get a lead and keep a lead much easier than he did last season.

My rankings:
Western Rankings:
1 – Detroit
2 – Vancouver
3 – Los Angeles
4 – Phoenix
5 – San Jose
6 – Nashville
7 –Chicago
8 – St. Louis
9 – Edmonton
10 – Minnesota
11 – Columbus
12 – Colorado
13 – Dallas
14 – Calgary
15 – Anaheim

I guess I don’t see the Northwest Division being that spectacular this year.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:24 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Unless hell freezes over, no way this team finishes as predicted 13-15. I don't even think they watch the team. There's no question this team makes the playoffs and I believe they can do major damage rolling 4 solid hardworking lines when they get there.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:27 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Should be able to beat up on edm, cal,and col like last year.

Old
08-24-2010, 08:28 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
Unless hell freezes over, no way this team finishes as predicted 13-15. I don't even think they watch the team. There's no question this team makes the playoffs and I believe they can do major damage rolling 4 solid hardworking lines when they get there.
Well that's just it. Most people when they do their "standings for the end of the year" type thing are basing it off of their own personal preference to who should and shouldn't go. After you get past #10, they just randomly pick teams or just base it on the standings from last year. I don't many people from the East Coast that know a damn thing about the Wild, and I don't know many people from the Pacific that know Minnesota is even a state.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I don't know, but this might be a low point even for me.
... So what does this mean for me? Oh god...

Old
08-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 4856
Canucks fan here. Not trolling.

I hope you guys do well this year, and I say this whenever the opportunity arises. Minny has great fans and deserves a contender. Any fan-base that can sellout their arena on a consistent basis through years of Lemaire-coached hockey are die-hard hockey fans. Good luck this year.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
and I don't know many people from the Pacific that know Minnesota is even a state.
Just me guys, I'm the only one

I have been in limbo since the season ended.

and if you need a laugh or want to be like, "really?"..... check this article out "minnesota wild season preview" more or less...its a laugher

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2010...-new-series-by

and it is the power of rambo on a unicorn!

Old
08-25-2010, 03:10 AM
NightSky

Quote:
Now that is awesome!
I can't wait till the beginning of the season so I can see Lats and Koivu riding their unicorns.

Ah man this is going to be the best year yet. Unicorns, Stanley cup and I heard there was punch and pie too!

NightSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 05:14 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Can't wait! I'll be getting blind drunk and yelling at the tv, so either way..its going to be a great season lol

So are there going to actually be some HD wild games this season? I'm sick of watching blurry hockey on my samsung, its ruining it! I'll pay extra damnit, this is way overdue.

Old
08-25-2010, 07:01 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Here's hoping because the Twin Cities being very late HD adopters sucks.

Old
08-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Here's hoping because the Twin Cities being very late HD adopters sucks.
There's no excuse for it either, this year especially. Every single cable/sat company in the metro can handle it, it's just up to FSN to get off their fat ***'s...

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 07:34 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
And then we get the other side of the argument. This team can end up in the 5th spot or it can end up in the 9th spot. It just depends on what Richards can do. We lost our number 1 defenseman with no replacement. Backstrom SHOULD bounce back but nothing like when we were with Lemaire. We lost Nolan and replaced him with...Cullen? The problem this team is going to be contenders or not.

IF we are contenders, then it's time to sell the farm because I don't want to see this team get swept. And we have little depth if we get hit with injuries. So we should trade Cuma, Scandy, Falk, Hackett to bolster our rosters if we are going to fight for the playoffs.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 08:54 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Can't wait! I'll be getting blind drunk and yelling at the tv, so either way..its going to be a great season lol

So are there going to actually be some HD wild games this season? I'm sick of watching blurry hockey on my samsung, its ruining it! I'll pay extra damnit, this is way overdue.
Agree... the 25 games or so last year in HD is rather pathetic! Especially when half the rest of the league is getting all 82 in HD!

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:59 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Agreed. I want all 82 in HD, they've had a few years now and this is getting old real fast. FSN needs to get with it!

Old
08-26-2010, 12:25 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Agreed. I want all 82 in HD, they've had a few years now and this is getting old real fast. FSN needs to get with it!
45 is the bigger culprit. Most of what we did have in HD was on FSN... where as 45 had barely a handful.

Old
08-26-2010, 02:03 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Well I think the bigger issue is that, to my knowledge, 45 doesn't broadcast in HD. So if the games are going to be on 45, they can't be in HD. Personally this doesn't bug me; I know a lot of people who don't have cable appreciate getting to watch some of the games and I'm willing to put up with SD every once in a while so more people can enjoy hockey. That's just me, though.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 05:55 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Actually that has changed, 45 CAN do HD now, and they did like 4-5 games last season in HD.

Though most of their HD is only available over the air. No satellite provider carries their HD broadcasts. Not sure about cable.

Old
08-26-2010, 09:31 AM
TheTenderness
¡VIVA EL NIÑO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Actually that has changed, 45 CAN do HD now, and they did like 4-5 games last season in HD.

Though most of their HD is only available over the air. No satellite provider carries their HD broadcasts. Not sure about cable.
45 does have an HD channel on Comcast now. I think it was added at some point late in the season last year, or at least that's when I stumbled across it.

TheTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:41 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
it seems like a utility channel on comcast like maybe they rent it out on a program by program basis. It's in the early 200's somewhere if i recall correctly. there was other stuff on it at different times.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote