HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Butch Goring Gets Tv Job

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Bert Marshall days

vCash: 500
I would've preferred Potvin. If for nothing else than to annoy NYR fans.

Seriously, I liked Potvin on the Panthers broadcasts. Butch talks too fast and is a pure homer.......which is what Wang wants.

But don't worry, for all those who don't like Butch you can always mute the TV and turn on the radio broadcast to listen to those announcers. Wait a minute!!!!!

Old
08-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Sideshow Bob

i am dreading the broadcasts. Butch's role last year giving analysis from the stands added nothing to the broadcast, and whenever he did it I wished they would go back to howie's endless blabbering about things that have nothing to do with the game. I didn't hate him on hockey night live though. (at least he wasn't as much of a caricature like ron duguay.) If Carlin has a more prominant role in the broadcast i will vomit. I want Jaffe back!

Old
08-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Bert Marshall days

Bring back Jiggs & Eddie!!!!!!!!

Had to love Tim Ryan & George Michael RIP.

Botta writes -

Two weeks prior to the opening of training camp, the Islanders have yet to announce their plans for radio broadcasts. Last season, the team made a financial-based move to simulcasts. After criticism in the media and from their fan base, there has been some discussion about returning to a traditional radio broadcast.

Could it be this Godforsaken organization actually is thinking of getting something right for a change? I'll believe it when I see it.

Old
08-23-2010, 11:57 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

i dont like this at all. Butch is barely tolerable in little bits and pieces doing his 20 seconds of input during the game. He is a ridiculous homer on hockey night live, but then again, that show should be called "who's homer is bigger" bc theyre all ridiculous. i just saw butch say "comeau can put up 40 in this league"...and he meant 40 goals. thats a ridiculous statement and THAT is what were in for for 60 minutes a night for 82 nights. if comeau is gonna put up 40, then tavares may well be headed for a 90 goal season...according to butch.
and please, understand i say this with no disrespect to people with speech impediments, but butch clearly has a slurring issue. In his line of work, having an issue like that can be extremely off putting to your "customers". In all honesty, butch just doesnt have the voice or delivery to be a play-by-play or color commentator.
I was very disappointed when they let jaffe go, and now that they just hired a homer who rivals micheletti and chico in jock-riding, im disgusted.

Old
08-24-2010, 09:09 AM
stevedepot

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
i dont like this at all. Butch is barely tolerable in little bits and pieces doing his 20 seconds of input during the game. He is a ridiculous homer on hockey night live, but then again, that show should be called "who's homer is bigger" bc theyre all ridiculous. i just saw butch say "comeau can put up 40 in this league"...and he meant 40 goals. thats a ridiculous statement and THAT is what were in for for 60 minutes a night for 82 nights. if comeau is gonna put up 40, then tavares may well be headed for a 90 goal season...according to butch.
and please, understand i say this with no disrespect to people with speech impediments, but butch clearly has a slurring issue. In his line of work, having an issue like that can be extremely off putting to your "customers". In all honesty, butch just doesnt have the voice or delivery to be a play-by-play or color commentator.
I was very disappointed when they let jaffe go, and now that they just hired a homer who rivals micheletti and chico in jock-riding, im disgusted.

Have a few days off so I'm sitting here having my coffee, watching Isles/Blackhawks 3-2-10 replay
and I'm marveling at all the great insight that Jaffe provides.

Toews-Okposo friendship and competitive nature going back to St. Mary's.

He and Howie touched on the Hawks building through the draft but SPENDING via free agency
for Hossa and Campbell. (Hmmmm)

He also called out Park and Weight who stopped skating on a shift, watching Hossa with the puck who drew a penalty.
He praised Trent Hunter (who was playing hurt) but finished 5 hits through the 1st 2 periods while young guys like Kohn
and Hillen were hesitant to do so in the 1st period and we got caught running around and chasing the play.

Anyway, I love Goring but don't know if he has the capacity Jaffe has for also giving insight outside the game on the ice.
Goring is a simpleton, not a detail oriented analyst.

Old
08-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepot View Post
Have a few days off so I'm sitting here having my coffee, watching Isles/Blackhawks 3-2-10 replay
and I'm marveling at all the great insight that Jaffe provides.

Toews-Okposo friendship and competitive nature going back to St. Mary's.

He and Howie touched on the Hawks building through the draft but SPENDING via free agency
for Hossa and Campbell. (Hmmmm)

He also called out Park and Weight who stopped skating on a shift, watching Hossa with the puck who drew a penalty.
He praised Trent Hunter (who was playing hurt) but finished 5 hits through the 1st 2 periods while young guys like Kohn
and Hillen were hesitant to do so in the 1st period and we got caught running around and chasing the play.

Anyway, I love Goring but don't know if he has the capacity Jaffe has for also giving insight outside the game on the ice.
Goring is a simpleton, not a detail oriented analyst.

Agreed with this. We are going to get a ton of canned cliches whether they fit or not.

Old
08-24-2010, 09:19 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
On the topic of Butch Goring: a funny story about him, as told by Bryan Trottier to Barry Melrose at some ESPN event a year or so back in Manhattan (the interview is on YouTube):

It's circa 1981, regular season game at MSG. Denis Potvin is going through a messy and very public divorce in which his estranged wife has accused him of physical abuse. (Not cool.)

MSG faithful have taken up a derisive chant (sung to the tune of "here we go Rangers, here we go!"...clap, clap): "Beat your wife Potvin, beat your wife!..."

Potvin skates back to the bench during a break in the action, only to see Butch on the bench...merrily mouthing the Garden chant, rocking to the beat. Oblivious to it all.

Potvin is stupified....

Old
08-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Dan-o16

hate hate hate.

Old
08-24-2010, 11:39 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
I'm sorry, but putting Micheletti and Chico in the same sentence is a joke. I hated when Micheletti left the Isles broadcast, he was excellent. He's one of the best color commentators in hockey. Yes he is too much of a homer, but Chico and Butchie take that title hands down. Chico is more tolerable than Butchie though, so this is gonna be tough to listen to. I was mad when Micheletti left for the Rangers, remember thinking, who is this Jaffe guy ? And now I think Jaffe has surpassed Micheletti as a color commentator, Jaffe is excellent with his insight. A huge loss. Hopefully he winds up with a classy organization, Wang didn't deserve such a great commentator for his Mickey Mouse organization.

Old
08-24-2010, 12:15 PM
periferal

Since Cablevision/MSG pays the TV annoucers, the decision to go with Goring over Jeffe is NOT money related...It's something else. What could the possible options be:

1. Jaffe wasn't pro-Islander enough?
2. Goring is a furher *link* to the Isles glory days?
3. Somehow Wang thinks we want only former Islanders working in/around the organization?
4. This saves Wang money? (Wait a minute....This isn't about money. God damn Wang...I don't get it.)

Whatever the reason, this is what we call a "colossal fail."

Old
08-24-2010, 12:37 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I'm sorry, but putting Micheletti and Chico in the same sentence is a joke. I hated when Micheletti left the Isles broadcast, he was excellent. He's one of the best color commentators in hockey. Yes he is too much of a homer, but Chico and Butchie take that title hands down. Chico is more tolerable than Butchie though, so this is gonna be tough to listen to. I was mad when Micheletti left for the Rangers, remember thinking, who is this Jaffe guy ? And now I think Jaffe has surpassed Micheletti as a color commentator, Jaffe is excellent with his insight. A huge loss. Hopefully he winds up with a classy organization, Wang didn't deserve such a great commentator for his Mickey Mouse organization.
If you think its a joke, I have to wonder if you've watched any rangers broadcasts lately? Micheletti drools over gaborik from start of each game til the end of postgame. Everything he does is the greatest shot/pass/move and its just so remarkable, isn't it sam? Hell follow that up by saying he's gonna score 60 bc he's got the quickest release he's ever seen.(BS) Then hank stops a 50 foot wrist shot & you'd think he stopped a 5 man breakaway, bc "he's some kind of goalkeeper, isn't he?". Joe always has an excuse why the rangers player is right & opponent is wrong. Even when its not the case. Chico is certainly worse than joe, but joe is an awfully huge homer. He wasn't when he left the isles, but ask any rags fan & they'll tell you. He works gaborik into any story about anyone bc he can't ride him enough.

Old
08-24-2010, 01:58 PM
IwayMike

Jiggs and Butch

Boy am I NOT looking forward to the beginning of the season when Howie is still with the Mets and we probably get Jiggs as the temp announcer.

Will we get anything insightful out of Jiggs and Butch? Maybe the Islanders will do the smart thing and have Jaffe as the temp. Nah, that would be a smart thing to do.

Old
08-24-2010, 02:04 PM
scott99

Hopefully the Isles won't suck as bad as Butchie. I actually like Butchie on thos Hockey Night studio sessions, but as a color commentator ?

Old
08-24-2010, 03:05 PM
cjdv16

Ok... I'll be the first to go non-PC on this....

Get the **** outta here with this ******** decision. This is the kind of **** that makes me want to puke. You take a well respected, up and coming, nationally recognized color commentator who every hockey team and their mother would love to get a hold of to work their games and you replace them with an absolute ass clown.

The number of the times that this goof ball named Butch made my skin crawl was countless.

He's annoying, nasaly, an ass kiss, putrid to look at, and so far out in the ether with his comments that you'd wonder if he ever played a game of hockey in his life.

This schmuck had better strap it on, because if the backlash grows too strong with this toolbox, you'll see him outta here faster than Bill Stewart.

Personally, I hope he fails so that he and Wang can go **** themselves.

Old
08-24-2010, 03:08 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Hopefully the Isles won't suck as bad as Butchie. I actually like Butchie on thos Hockey Night studio sessions, but as a color commentator ?
You mean the show where the other 3 guys spend the majority of their air time visibly laughing and poking fun at Butch and his stupid ass assessments?

The fact that he'll have the ability to speak openly for a period of time that eclipses 30 seconds scares the **** out of me.

My mute button will be on overload this year.... and honestly, if I had an alternative feed to watch, I most certainly would.

It may not be Butch's fault he was hired, but it certainly is his fault that he sucks as what he does (oh, and that includes coaching).

Old
08-24-2010, 03:31 PM
isleskovalchuk

this sucks... our broadcast team was the best its been in years with Jaffe complimenting Howie..... No hate on Goring until I can actually see what he can do, I just cant picture him topping what Jaffe brought to the table

Old
08-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Since Cablevision/MSG pays the TV annoucers, the decision to go with Goring over Jeffe is NOT money related...It's something else. What could the possible options be:

1. Jaffe wasn't pro-Islander enough?
2. Goring is a furher *link* to the Isles glory days?
3. Somehow Wang thinks we want only former Islanders working in/around the organization?
4. This saves Wang money? (Wait a minute....This isn't about money. God damn Wang...I don't get it.)

Whatever the reason, this is what we call a "colossal fail."
How do you know that?
I spend too much of my time shaking my head over the things Dolan does I would not put it past Cablevision to have had a big hand in this.

Old
08-24-2010, 10:25 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post

Get the **** outta here with this ******** decision. This is the kind of **** that makes me want to puke. You take a well respected, up and coming, nationally recognized color commentator who every hockey team and their mother would love to get a hold of to work their games and you replace them with an absolute ass clown.

The number of the times that this goof ball named Butch made my skin crawl was countless.

He's annoying, nasaly, an ass kiss, putrid to look at, and so far out in the ether with his comments that you'd wonder if he ever played a game of hockey in his life.

This schmuck had better strap it on, because if the backlash grows too strong with this toolbox, you'll see him outta here faster than Bill Stewart.

You good sir, have perfectly channeled my inner dark-side. I already thank you, but if you can somehow get this to Wang himself, I will engrave your name on any sidewalk of your choice in Manhattan.

Old
08-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Trade you Rosen and Micheletti for Howie. Then we can promote Maloney. I'd much prefer Rose/Maloney to Rosen/Micheletti.

Goring is terrible, I liked listening to Jaffe/Rose when I watched Islander broadcasts. I can't believe he was their best option.

Old
08-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Sideshow Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
love the double facepalm. and perfectly fitting. May I use it in the future?

Old
08-25-2010, 01:37 PM
BlackDog13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post

Butch is definitely a few sandwiches shy of a picnic and may be a poor choice for a broadcaster's positon but let's not lose sight of the man's on-ice accomplishments.
Yeah, he's a homer but who's buttering his bread? He may not be as loony as some would think

Personally, the glut of announcers with absolutely no on-field experience, in any sport irritates me far more than Butch does.

Old
08-25-2010, 02:28 PM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog13 View Post
Personally, the glut of announcers with absolutely no on-field experience, in any sport irritates me far more than Butch does.
My wife feels this way as you. However:

Personally, the glut of announcers with absolutely no broadcasting experience in any media irritates me...

Mel Allen, Red Barber, Ernie Harwell, Vin Scully, Harry Carey - legendary announcers with no playing experience.

I'd rather simply have someone who knows how to call a game than someone who is clinging on to a sport when they can no longer play. Some athletes can make the transition, most really can't no matter how hard as they try.

All this aside, Butch is a bore, but if the Isles improve, start winning and make the playoffs, I won't care who's announcing. Let Wang's kid do it for all I care.

Old
08-25-2010, 04:27 PM
BlackDog13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Go Green View Post
My wife feels this way as you. However:

Personally, the glut of announcers with absolutely no broadcasting experience in any media irritates me...

Mel Allen, Red Barber, Ernie Harwell, Vin Scully, Harry Carey - legendary announcers with no playing experience.

I'd rather simply have someone who knows how to call a game than someone who is clinging on to a sport when they can no longer play. Some athletes can make the transition, most really can't no matter how hard as they try.

All this aside, Butch is a bore, but if the Isles improve, start winning and make the playoffs, I won't care who's announcing. Let Wang's kid do it for all I care.
I don't disagree with anything you've said here, (never was a fan of Vin Scully tho) it's the glut of non-athletes that bother me. The best broadcast teams IMO, have always had a combination of experience from both sides of the mic, ie Jiggs and Eddie or Rizzuto, White and Messer. As you've said, if the team is winning who gives a damn who's announcing? Hell, bring back John Sterling "Islander Goal, Islander Goal!!!!!

Old
08-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog13 View Post
I suppose you must mean analysts, because there's nothing in common between the skill-sets of a player and an announcer. As far as analysts are concerned, most seem to be ex-athletes or coaches. Jaffe was an ex-athlete - not a great pro like Goring. An athlete's insight is really important for color. But that analyst doesn't have to be a great pro. Sometimes the great pro's (Joe Morgan) are the *worst*, most pretentious color guys.

Great pro or not, I am highly doubtful about Goring's talent as an analyst. Just having to hear him in segments, however, does give insight into why he was such a lousy coach. If I have to hear one more time about his 20-year old shoulder pads, I'll puke.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
08-25-2010, 06:39 PM
BlackDog13

I think it's safe to say there ain't much love for Ol' Butchie on The Island these days.

Closed Thread