HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

If Detroit was after Draft Picks would these deals work? (Long)

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2004, 12:38 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
If Detroit was after Draft Picks would these deals work?

To L.A.
G Stefan Liv

To Det
3rd rounder 04
3rd rounder 05

It has been documented in some publications that L.A. is looking to shore up its goaltending for the not to distant future. Liv has been the best goaltender in Sweden this year (New York Ranger fans might dispute this) and is forcasted as a Franchise Goaltender in the NHL.

To Min
G Stefan Liv

To Det
2nd rounder 04

With Roloson and Fernandez, the Wild have a great tandem in goal but both are getting long in the tooth and one might be dealt as both want to be the undisputed no.1. They also don't have any legit goalie prospects to take over or be a back-up if either is dealt.

To New York Rangers
D Derian Hatcher

To Detroit
2 2nd rounder 04 (44th & 48th)
2nd rounder 05 (Toronto's)

New York has a very young defensive core comming up and could use a Vet to captian the young guys. Detroit could also eat a bit of Hatchers contract but then New York would also probibly need to sweeten their offer as well. Hatcher looked slow after comming back from ACL replacment surgery but He should pick up a bit after a long summer of rest for that knee. He still is very physical and a good stay at home defenceman.

To Ott
D Derian Hatcher (Detroit eats 1M each year of contract)
LW Ray Whitney (Detroit eats 1M each year of contract)
2nd rounder 05 (Only in Havlat deal)

To Det
RW Martin Havlat

OR

To Det
1st rounder 04
3rd rounder 04 (COL)

Ottawa would benifit greatly from this deal but I doubt they could afford it. I sure would give Ottawa a physical punch and the scoring LW'er they are after.

To Tor
D Derian Hatcher

To Det
1st rounder 05
3rd rounder 04

Toronto could afford this deal and it would give them a solid top 4 on defence with Leetch, McCabe, Hatcher and Kaberla.

To Edm
D Derek Meech

To Det
3rd rounder 04
OR
3rd rounder 05

It has been said that Lowe likes Derek Meech.

To Cal
D Derek Meech

To Det
2 4th rounders 04 (Cal,Car)
OR
3rd rounder 05

There is a connection with Calgary's top prospect Dion Phaneuf and Meech being d partners that Calgary might be interested in obtaining him.

Meech is a solid defensive prospect in the Brian Rafalski mold. could be a solid 3-4 NHL defensman in the right atmosphere, could be a 5-6 defencman otherwise.

Old
05-31-2004, 12:48 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup4Wings
To Min
G Stefan Liv

To Det
2nd rounder 04

With Roloson and Fernandez, the Wild have a great tandem in goal but both are getting long in the tooth and one might be dealt as both want to be the undisputed no.1. They also don't have any legit goalie prospects to take over or be a back-up if either is dealt.
The last thing Minnesota needs is goalies.

Trust me.

Old
05-31-2004, 12:59 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
The last thing Minnesota needs is goalies.

Trust me.
According to THN Draft Preview that is what it said they need to look for in their "Needs" on their team column.

Old
05-31-2004, 01:03 PM
Boomhower

If Detroit doesn't sign Meech and he re-enters the draft, Meech probably wouldn't even be taken in the top 5 rounds of the draft.... so why would teams give up that much for a signed Meech?

Hatcher and Whitney (+2nd) for Havlat is wayyy off, even if Detroit payed all of their salary Ottawa would be dumb to do it.

Hatcher and Whitney don't have any value, so the only chance of unloading them is in exchange for other players with bad contracts that a team is looking to dump. Or maybe for a mid to late round pick, so I wouldn't be holding your breath for that kind of return on Hatcher.

The value on the Liv Proposals are probably fair, maybe Detroit isn't even getting enough back in those trades.

Old
05-31-2004, 01:20 PM
bert

No way do I do that deal if im Ottawa. All that is is Detroit unloads its overpriced bad UFA signings for an allstar 22 year old right winger.

Zetterberg Hatcher 2nd round plus detroit picks up two years of Hatchers contract.

Old
05-31-2004, 01:22 PM
Broadway Brett

Cup4Wings: Please stop making proposals with the Rangers in them, it's getting to the point where they aren't even funny.

Old
05-31-2004, 02:07 PM
Kubera55

Actually, for once (as a Ranger fan) I'm vaguely intrigued by one of Cups proposals. Derian Hatcher WOULD be a valuable asset for the Rangers, and I'm sure they would be very interested in acquiring him. However, you are grossly underestimating the damage his contract does to his value. He's signed for what, three more years at $5-6 per? That's enormous for a guy in his 30's, coming off a serious knee injury, and who can't score 15 points a season.

You want a serious Rangers proposal for Hatcher? How about this:

To New York:
Derian Hatcher

To Detroit:
Darius Kasparitius
2004 2nd Round Pick (one of the later ones)
2004 5th Round Pick
$2 million

Kasparitius makes about $4.5 million a season, and is signed for four post lock-out seasons. He's also the same age (I believe) as Hatcher and also coming off a serious lower body injury. No doubt Hatcher is better than Kaspar, but Hatcher is more expensive per-year (by at least a million a season) and Detroit has Jiri Fisher to backfill. Detroit takes a bit of a talent hit, but they net the 2nd rounder, and some payroll relief, which could be significant under a CBA with a Tax/Cap.

New York meanwhile obtains the physical defensive-defenseman they need, a veteran with a Cup ring, who can help lead the Rangers very young, but gifted, group of defensemen towards NHL competence. They also do so with a minimum of salary cap ramifications, since they 'lost' the horrific Kasparitius contract in the bargain.

Old
05-31-2004, 02:19 PM
FF de Mars

Montréal badly needs a defencmen like Hatcher... but I'm not sure they'd be willing to trade their 1st rounder for him, especially with the money he makes. I guess you'd be asking for our 1st rounder, considering you were after 2 of NYR 2nd rounders... anyway you can sweten the deal?

Old
05-31-2004, 02:20 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
Cup4Wings: Please stop making proposals with the Rangers in them, it's getting to the point where they aren't even funny.
oh no, there still funny . Though i have to admit that this one is entering the plane of reality that the rest of us live on, but i still wouldn't do it.

Old
05-31-2004, 02:51 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Minnesota DOES need goaltenders and I wouldn't mind Liv, but I rather see who get with our 2nd round pick. We have Harding, Kettles, and Holmqvist for the point and we're wondering what is going to happen with Cloutier, so we aren't bad but we definitely need a second goaltender to push Harding.

Old
05-31-2004, 02:55 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera55
Actually, for once (as a Ranger fan) I'm vaguely intrigued by one of Cups proposals. Derian Hatcher WOULD be a valuable asset for the Rangers, and I'm sure they would be very interested in acquiring him. However, you are grossly underestimating the damage his contract does to his value. He's signed for what, three more years at $5-6 per? That's enormous for a guy in his 30's, coming off a serious knee injury, and who can't score 15 points a season.

You want a serious Rangers proposal for Hatcher? How about this:

To New York:
Derian Hatcher

To Detroit:
Darius Kasparitius
2004 2nd Round Pick (one of the later ones)
2004 5th Round Pick
$2 million

Kasparitius makes about $4.5 million a season, and is signed for four post lock-out seasons. He's also the same age (I believe) as Hatcher and also coming off a serious lower body injury. No doubt Hatcher is better than Kaspar, but Hatcher is more expensive per-year (by at least a million a season) and Detroit has Jiri Fisher to backfill. Detroit takes a bit of a talent hit, but they net the 2nd rounder, and some payroll relief, which could be significant under a CBA with a Tax/Cap.

New York meanwhile obtains the physical defensive-defenseman they need, a veteran with a Cup ring, who can help lead the Rangers very young, but gifted, group of defensemen towards NHL competence. They also do so with a minimum of salary cap ramifications, since they 'lost' the horrific Kasparitius contract in the bargain.
I'd rather have Kasparitus

Old
05-31-2004, 02:56 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
oh no, there still funny . Though i have to admit that this one is entering the plane of reality that the rest of us live on, but i still wouldn't do it.
Agreed, it is more realistic, but why do we need a 36 year old defenseman, when we just traded an even better one? Cups trades are just... stupid...

Old
05-31-2004, 02:59 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
Agreed, it is more realistic, but why do we need a 36 year old defenseman, when we just traded an even better one? Cups trades are just... stupid...
Who's 36 years old?

Old
05-31-2004, 03:15 PM
Kubera55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
I'd rather have Kasparitus
Everyone's intitled to their opinion, but I can't imagine why. There is nothing that Kaspar does that Hatcher doesn't do, and do better. They're actually the same age (both born in 1972, but Kaspar was drafted a year later).

Hatcher is bigger, tougher, a better defender, and a better scorer (such as his scoring is).

The only detterent is Hatcher's paycheck, but Kaspar's is god-awful too... at least Hatcher would be a top pair defenseman. Kaspar's been playing 5th man minutes in NY.

Closed Thread