HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In your opinion, who is the greatest New York Ranger of all time?

Old
08-24-2010, 04:20 PM
nyrmetros

vCash: 500
Bill Cook
Frank Boucher
Andy Bathgate
Brian Leetch

(in no order)

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Gotta be Leetch, was a proud Ranger and New Yorker which is important for me, with #35 not too far behind

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:48 PM
TrueBlueNorwegian

Wow, this is a tough one. I cant pick one. Three way tie. Leetch, Gilbert, Messier.

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Garv23

For me it's Leetch. Not only was he a great player, but the fact that he was a Ranger pretty much his whole career made this an easy choice.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:59 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
This. It's important to respect the history and research what you can, but i knew this thread would include a select few looking up old names and sticking their nose up and scolding everybody else for not mentioning them.

Leetch btw.
I'm not sticking my nose up, nor did I simply look up names.

This is something I have been rallying for years.

The Rangers need to honor the guys who have carried the organization throughout it's history.

If winning the Stanley Cup is the pinnacle of what an organization can achieve, then why do three of this organization's four Stanley Cup Championship teams get overlooked?

Lester Patrick coached and GMed the Rangers to THREE Cups. Frank Boucher led them on the ice to the 1928 and 1933 Stanley Cups AND coached them to the 1940 Cup.

Yes, I was not around to see Boucher, the Cooks, Heller, Johnson, Lester Patrick, Lynn Patrick, Bathgate, Hextall, Ratelle, Vickers, Hadfield, Park, Tkaczuk... but these are the guys who carried the team through it's existence. And if not for these people, I may not have the Rangers to root for now.

There is more history to the Rangers then 1994.

And my point is that if Messier who captained ONE Cup is worthy of being in the discussion as greatest Ranger ever, then someone like Boucher winning two as a Rangers player and another as Rangers coach would HAVE to be in the discussion.

They're both in the discussion without a doubt.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:31 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
this is interesting. i'm only 26 so i never got to see brad play. do you really think he was better at his peak than leetch?
Both leetch and park were magnificent offensive players. Both were sound defensive players. But park used to punish players physically. He is as good a checking dman as ever played the game. He regularly flipped players over his hip. He also would fight anyone, always coming to the aid of his teammates. Once he went after dave schultz. An amazing combo of traits. If he had played recently, he would be revered here.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:39 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

I don't know who to pick.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Brian Leetch
Rod Gilbert
Bill Cook
Mark Messier
Jean Ratelle
Andy Bathgate

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:00 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Wayne Gretzky?

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Wayne Gretzky?
Best player, yes. Best Ranger, no.

08-24-2010, 06:13 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Frank Boucher and the Cook brothers won TWO Cups with the Rangers. TWO.

Lester Patrick had a hand in THREE CUPS as coach/player, and GM. His contributions to the Rangers organization are unparalleled. Just so people know, the Rangers organization won four times. And Lester Patrick was a MAJOR contributor to THREE of them.
And if you think about it, the Patrick Family helped win all four Cups; Leetch was Craig's little going away gift before he left/got fired/forced out? (I don't know the story with that).

Honestly, Leetch gets my vote.

Zubov SHOULD be on this list...yeah, I'm not over it but Del Z might help me get there.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:25 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Both leetch and park were magnificent offensive players. Both were sound defensive players. But park used to punish players physically. He is as good a checking dman as ever played the game. He regularly flipped players over his hip. He also would fight anyone, always coming to the aid of his teammates. Once he went after dave schultz. An amazing combo of traits. If he had played recently, he would be revered here.
Park was a great player but Leetch was very arguably the best d-man in the league at his peak. Park was always a second banana. Not nearly as great as Orr and then Denis Potvin (hate to say it) passed him too.

I remember the hip checks though. They were sometimes a thing to behold. Guys somersaulting through the air. It's a wonder no one was ever seriously maimed. He was as vicious a hitter in his day as Scott Stevens was in his. Like Leetch he wasn't that big either.

When things got real big though Park never stepped it up like Leetch did in the playoffs especially in 94. Brad Park really blew it a couple times--once against the Bruins in game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals when he was faked out of his socks by the very ordinary 4th liner Ace Bailey and then again when J. P. Parise and the Islanders finished the Rangers off something like a few seconds into overtime and that was a big shocker as the Rangers were expected to handle that team easily. All in all he was very good in the playoffs but he had his moments.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Brian Leetch. He was the player I watched and learned from growing up. Fantastic player, just so good he was like a 4th forward out there and still responsible defensively. If you're a young defenseman just try emulate him. I still remember his end to end rush goal against Philly in 93 I think? I was only 7 so I might be wrong. We had that game taped on VHS and I watched that rush 100's of times. In fact I still have it somewhere.

What a joy of a player to watch.

Second, and I won't discredit the argument some of you made for him being number 1 is Messier. His guarantee is one of the most epic sports moments in history, and he did everything he said he would. In my opinion he is a close 2nd to Gretzky as the greatest player ever.

Richter was a great goalie but he wasn't on Brodeur's level he was solid but not a true elite IMHO.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Have to go with Leetch. There were a lot of players who had amazing careers with the Rangers, but in my opinion, nobody stretched as far beyond the ice as he did. Not even Messier.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:36 PM
NorthlandPro

Having grown up watching a veteran Andy Bathgate on some truly bad NYRs team and then watching boyhood friends, the young Rod Gilbert (my favorite as a kid) and Jean Ratelle burst on the scene and a few years later be overwhelmed by Brad Park and then a 15 year drought that ended with Richter and Leetch coming on the scene. All of those players were great Rangers in their day and each I could easily be swayed to agree that one particular one is the greatest of all time.

Having had the ability to watch the Bruins, Flyers, Islanders and Ranger games on cable every night there was one player that always drew my attention and he drew it because he played the game the way the game was meant to be played. He was fast, he was big, he was physical, he was a player maker and a scorer. He lead by example, on and off the ice. He easily was my favorite player of all time and he wasn't even a Ranger. I can remember the night the NYRs acquired him. I didn't know when, but I did know that our long drought would be over with him a NYR. He is easily one of the top players of all time. Though he played only 5 years his impact was profound. Richter and Leetch became better players having played with him and learned how to become winners. No slight on their abilities. Mark Messier hands down.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:45 PM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Brian Leetch is the best Ranger of all-time and he should have finished his career here.

Bill Cook, and the rest of the retirees are up there too.

Unfortunately, some of the younger generation of fans didnt get to see Leetch in his heyday. He was out of his mind great. Its tough to describe how well he played on a nightly basis. He was just simply awesome to watch and doing it as a defenseman nonetheless. Brian Leetch could take over a game, and there arent many game breakers in the history of the game on defense.
This sums up how I feel as well. Leetch was the man. Watching him do his thing on a nightly basis was incredible.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 07:52 PM
FOXHOUND*

Game 7 on NHL network right now if you want to see the greatest Ranger of All Time accept the Conn Smythe trophy!

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Anyone who picks Messier is way off base. Greatest leader yea and the cup means a lot but best Ranger ever no way. Giacomin, Cook, Leetch Park , Gilbert all ahead of him

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:22 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

A couple of things;

First-Ace Bailey R.I.P. died tragically in 9/11

Second-That end to end rush by Leetch was in 92 when the Ranger clinched the President's Trophy.

Third-I can't stand all of these Richter isn't as good as Brodeur statements. Mike was huge in the World Cup 96 and also against Russia in the 2002 to get the US to the Gold Medal Game. As we all know, the last 5+ years of his career he had major injuries because he was overworked and had such world class Dmen as Rich Pilon, Alexie Gusarov, an over-the-hill Kevin Hatcher, Ruman NDur, Sylvain Leferbve, Stephan "I want to go back to Montreal" Quintal, and "awesome prospects" like Rich Brennan, Petr Smerk, and my personal favorite Richard Litner playing in front of him.

You give him the Devils D during their peak years and he is the all-time wins leader and has multiple Cups. Guaranteed.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Edge

I have to go with the road less treveled on this one and say Messier.

Not necessarily because of on-ice production, but rather because of the impact he had on the Rangers and hockey in NY.

In my opinion, Leetch and Richter don't become the players they did without Messier. Both have solid careers, Leetch is still a Hall of Famer, but I doubt both hit the levels they hit and I can't see either being the guy who made everyone around them into a winner.

For me, Messier's greatest legacy is the players who blossomed around him. Leetch, Richter, Graves, Amonte, Weight. Messier had a profound and lasting impact on all of those guys.

Add in the fact that I can't see anyone else embracing the challenges he did and putting the Rangers on front page of the sports section.

More than anyone else, Messier's arrival was franchise changing.

Leetch was an elite, Hall of Fame player. But I don't think he is as beloved without Messier driving him to a whole different level.

I know I'm in the minority, but that's why I've always gone with Messier.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

Not necessarily because of on-ice production, but rather because of the impact he had on the Rangers and hockey in NY.

In my opinion, Leetch and Richter don't become the players they did without Messier. Both have solid careers, Leetch is still a Hall of Famer, but I doubt both hit the levels they hit and I can't see either being the guy who made everyone around them into a winner.

For me, Messier's greatest legacy is the players who blossomed around him. Leetch, Richter, Graves, Amonte, Weight. Messier had a profound and lasting impact on all of those guys.

Add in the fact that I can't see anyone else embracing the challenges he did and putting the Rangers on front page of the sports section.

Leetch was an elite, Hall of Fame player. But I don't think he is as beloved without Messier driving him to a whole different level.

Won a cup and soon after left for money. Greatest Ranger nah he was a amazingly Great player but he was a mercenary

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:41 PM
darko

Brian Leetch for me.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:21 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Park was a great player but Leetch was very arguably the best d-man in the league at his peak. Park was always a second banana. Not nearly as great as Orr and then Denis Potvin (hate to say it) passed him too.

I remember the hip checks though. They were sometimes a thing to behold. Guys somersaulting through the air. It's a wonder no one was ever seriously maimed. He was as vicious a hitter in his day as Scott Stevens was in his. Like Leetch he wasn't that big either.

When things got real big though Park never stepped it up like Leetch did in the playoffs especially in 94. Brad Park really blew it a couple times--once against the Bruins in game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals when he was faked out of his socks by the very ordinary 4th liner Ace Bailey and then again when J. P. Parise and the Islanders finished the Rangers off something like a few seconds into overtime and that was a big shocker as the Rangers were expected to handle that team easily. All in all he was very good in the playoffs but he had his moments.
Park never had 94. Leetch never had orr to contend with. Park never had a messier. Leetch never had to be the physical backbone of the team. If leetch did not have his brilliant 94 playoffs, it would not even be close, but leetch had it and I cannot take that away from him.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
acapps10

Leetch no question

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:57 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

Agreed 1000000000%.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote