HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Interesting Montoya note

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2004, 02:33 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
Interesting Montoya note

at the bottom of the link:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04151/324354.stm

seems as though PHX is interested?

Old
05-31-2004, 02:36 PM
momentai

Hmm... I would think that if Phoenix were really deadset on taking Montoya they would be listening to offers for moving down from the 5th spot. That's a bit too high to be drafting Montoya. If this what you were thinking Speeds?

Old
05-31-2004, 02:40 PM
speeds

yeah, a thread on the NYR board says that they could end up making a deal with ANA, and take Montoya at 9.

Then again, if they see him as an absolute franchise goalie, they may take him at 5 and not fool around, worrying perhaps that someone might trade up to take him at 7 or 8.

Old
05-31-2004, 02:44 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
yeah, a thread on the NYR board says that they could end up making a deal with ANA, and take Montoya at 9.

Then again, if they see him as an absolute franchise goalie, they may take him at 5 and not fool around, worrying perhaps that someone might trade up to take him at 7 or 8.
In either case, I think that would create a better situation for the Oilers. At the very least if Montoya and Schwarz go in the top 10, a better forward/dman drops down to the 14th spot.

Old
05-31-2004, 02:50 PM
s7ark

That would be sweet. I hope Schwarz and Montoya are both gone by our pick.

1. That will leave Lowe with no excuse of BPA for drafting a goalie with our first pick. He will HAVE to go for talent (which I think he would anyways)

2. That will likely leave at least one of Picard, Stafford, Radulov available for us

Old
05-31-2004, 02:55 PM
Rita12

When is the draft?

Old
05-31-2004, 02:56 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita12
When is the draft?
LOL, June 26th.

Old
05-31-2004, 05:08 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark

1. That will leave Lowe with no excuse of BPA for drafting a goalie with our first pick. He will HAVE to go for talent (which I think he would anyways)

2. That will likely leave at least one of Picard, Stafford, Radulov available for us
I decided to use various rumors and ideas on what I think are each teams needs to put together a mck draft. If I'm way off on a few things, feel free to fill me in.

1. Washington Capitals - Ovechkin (consensus 1st overall)

2. Pittsburgh Penguins - Malkin (consensus 2nd overall)

3. Chicago Blackhawks - Ladd (just the physical winger their prospect pool is lacking)

4. Columbus Blue Jackets - Barker (everything I've read shows they're really high on him)

5. Phoenix Coyotes - Montoya (see: well, this thread)

6. NY Rangers - Olesz (can't see him dropping any farther, and they don't need goalies or defencemen)

7. Florida Panthers - Picard (stocked in centers and offencive defencemen)

8. Carolina Hurricanes - Tukonen (need wingers and defencive d-men)

9. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim - Thelen (offencive d-men seem to be their biggest concern from a prospects stand point)

10. Atlanta Thrashers - Stafford (scoring and toughness are just what they need)

11. Los Angeles Kings - Schwarz (I've heard talks about them wanting Montoya so a goalie is an option)

12. Minnesota Wild - Radulov (they need scoring, defence or otherwise and he's probably the BPA)

13. Buffalo Sabres - Chipchura (just a guess, they could probably use some more C depth)

14. Edmonton Oilers...

I tried using a combination of BPA and each team's needs to make my decisions. I still didn't end up with us getting a shot at Picard, Radulov, or Stafford but there are still some pretty sweet options.

Last edited by misfit: 05-31-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Old
05-31-2004, 05:17 PM
Rita12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
LOL, June 26th.
thanks GUY

Old
05-31-2004, 07:08 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
I decided to use various rumors and ideas on what I think are each teams needs to put together a mck draft. If I'm way off on a few things, feel free to fill me in.

1. Washington Capitals - Ovechkin (consensus 1st overall)

2. Pittsburgh Penguins - Malkin (consensus 2nd overall)

3. Chicago Blackhawks - Ladd (just the physical winger their prospect pool is lacking)

4. Columbus Blue Jackets - Barker (everything I've read shows they're really high on him)

5. Phoenix Coyotes - Montoya (see: well, this thread)

6. NY Rangers - Olesz (can't see him dropping any farther, and they don't need goalies or defencemen)

7. Florida Panthers - Picard (stocked in centers and offencive defencemen)

8. Carolina Hurricanes - Tukonen (need wingers and defencive d-men)

9. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim - Thelen (offencive d-men seem to be their biggest concern from a prospects stand point)

10. Atlanta Thrashers - Stafford (scoring and toughness are just what they need)

11. Los Angeles Kings - Schwarz (I've heard talks about them wanting Montoya so a goalie is an option)

12. Minnesota Wild - Radulov (they need scoring, defence or otherwise and he's probably the BPA)

13. Buffalo Sabres - Chipchura (just a guess, they could probably use some more C depth)

14. Edmonton Oilers...

I tried using a combination of BPA and each team's needs to make my decisions. I still didn't end up with us getting a shot at Picard, Radulov, or Stafford but there are still some pretty sweet options.

True, but you didn't have Schremp in your top 13 and not Valabik either who I hear Buffalo is HUGE on.

But if Schremp fell that far I would be happy with him too

Old
05-31-2004, 07:58 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
True, but you didn't have Schremp in your top 13 and not Valabik either who I hear Buffalo is HUGE on.

But if Schremp fell that far I would be happy with him too
I think Buffalo will be looking at Valabik, Thelen or Smid as there 1st round pick, Chipchura is actually not bad either, they simply need size on their team... Kindda the same situation we were in a couple years back w/ Marchant, Comrie and York as centers.

GXL

Old
05-31-2004, 08:01 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit

14. Edmonton Oilers...

If the draft went like this I think alot of Oilers fans would be happy to see Schremp in an Oilers uniform . I would then look at Wolski (if he drops that far), Nikoleinen or Wheeler with the Philly pick and a goalie like Shantz or Schnider with the second round.

GXL

Old
05-31-2004, 08:03 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I've said this SEVERAL Times on the boards- look for an American team to pick Montoya in the first round - especially one with some kinda need for a goalie as he'd be a name their fans reckognize and because he's the kinda guy (right attitude) to market to people.

Old
05-31-2004, 09:00 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:

Agreed...

I would love for Schwarz, Montoya, Barker, Thelen and perhaps one of Valabik, Green, O'Neill or Smid to go before our pick. The more offensive talent that falls to our pick the better!!!

Old
06-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I've said this SEVERAL Times on the boards- look for an American team to pick Montoya in the first round - especially one with some kinda need for a goalie as he'd be a name their fans reckognize and because he's the kinda guy (right attitude) to market to people.
So is what you're REALLY saying is that:

a) No Canadian-based team has absolutely no interest whatsoever in POSSIBLY taking Montoya

and

b) None of the 6 Canadian teams need goaltenders?

I'm sorry, but if either/both is the case, I don't buy into that theory.

Old
06-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
So is what you're REALLY saying is that:

a) No Canadian-based team has absolutely no interest whatsoever in POSSIBLY taking Montoya

and

b) None of the 6 Canadian teams need goaltenders?

I'm sorry, but if either/both is the case, I don't buy into that theory.
I think he's trying to propose that an American team might over-rate Montoya based on his place of birth and snag him earlier than a team like Edmonton would. I personally don't agree with this reasoning but it is certainly a valid idea..

Old
06-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Got my Hockey News Draft preview today. They rank Schwarz #5, Montoya #8 and Dubnyk #17. Drew Stafford is #9, Alexander Radulov is #13, Enver Lisin is #14, A.J. Thelen is #15, Alexandre Picard is #16., Kyle Chipchura is #18. What do you think about these? Do you agree with them?

Old
06-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
Got my Hockey News Draft preview today. They rank Schwarz #5, Montoya #8 and Dubnyk #17. Drew Stafford is #9, Alexander Radulov is #13, Enver Lisin is #14, A.J. Thelen is #15, Alexandre Picard is #16., Kyle Chipchura is #18. What do you think about these? Do you agree with them?

I think its a pretty good list. Dubnyk's maybe a little high, and I like Dubnyk. Picard will probably go higher in the actual draft, and Lisin could slip past 14.

Closed Thread