HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brewer rumored available???

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2004, 02:07 PM
  #51
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,122
vCash: 500
Just out of curiosity: Would you want Brewer traded if he asked for $3.5 million?

Regarding the Rangers defense, I actually don't have a problem with it. Tyutin along makes it worth it for me - that kid has got potential that no Oiler defensemen outside of Brewer has. Rachunek I'm not too wild about, but he's a good offensive defenseman if nothing else. Kaspar is overpaid, but he's still a valuable defenseman who can play a very physical game. Bobo finally looked like an NHL player again in New York. Pock is actually quite good and has very nice potential as a top 4 offensive defenseman, Lampman is a decent prospect too. Poti looks like he's trade bait right now. Wouldn't be surprised if yet another team overpayed for him.

Not a great blueline right now, but down the road it looks alright. Brewer would be a heck of an addition though... but I suspect Lowe would ask for either the #6 overall pick or Fedor Tyutin in return.

Mizral is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 02:29 PM
  #52
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
... but I suspect Lowe would ask for either the #6 overall pick or Fedor Tyutin in return.
I have a feeling the bidding would start at Both of those Plus...

windowlicker is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 02:33 PM
  #53
Aziolkowski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Aziolkowski
First the only way you trade Brewer is if he wants close to 3M+ because like it or not he isn't worth that at this stage. Second if you do trade brewer poti isn't comming back he got booed out of edmonton he wouldn't make it if he came back. Third Purrten and Mironov are not happening either too much money for not a lot of skill in return. Rackunick has potential but loves to disapear most nights and doesn't play phiysical. Not as bad as poti in that regard but not that far ahead either. Frankly their isn't anyone on the Rangers blue line that thrills me and can work every night so it will have to be a prospect and the picks and possibly lunkmark in return. That's very steep but there just isn't anyone on that team aside from Lundmark and their pospect D that I would consider trading for so I can't see it any other way.

Lundmark and the 6th pick might do it though if you like Rita take him and Briewer for lundmark and the pick along with a good prospect or two he isn't going anywhere here so he might as well go elsewhere.

Aziolkowski is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 02:45 PM
  #54
Marconius
Registered User
 
Marconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter orange
IMO Lowe would bite on

Lundmark, Rachenuk & 23rd overall ----- for ----- Rita & 14th overall

** The Oil could still come out of the first round with two decent picks. The difference between 14 and 23 is small enough this draft to make this deal worth doing for the Oil.

Nice offer, Prucha73
If Lowe gets this offer he should grab it and run giggling all the way back to Rexall

Marconius is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 02:54 PM
  #55
Aziolkowski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Aziolkowski
Agreeded that would be a steal

Aziolkowski is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 03:28 PM
  #56
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,697
vCash: 500
That Rangers article looks almost identical to the Florida article that popped up about 6 months ago claiming that Brewer was available. Don't you think we'd hear something here in Edmonton if contract negotiations were going so bad with our number one d-man that we were now shopping him? We can afford Brewer as long as he doesn't ask for a crazy sum of money and I'm very confident that $3.5 million/season will get it done (and even possibly less).

On a side note, it is ridiculous to claim that the Rangers don't need d-men. Even if they are rebuilding, Brewer is still only 25 years old. Any top 4 that includes Kondratiev in it is not very strong IMO. I don't see any potential top pairing d-men in the Rangers organization besides Tjutin (I'm also not very high on Rachunek). In any event, Brewer will not likely be traded unless a team vastly overpays. We simply don't have anyone that can soak up the minutes Brewer plays until Semenov, Lynch and Woywitka develop. I'm not going to start worrying until I read something about this in a local paper (and not by Brownlee).

Cerebral is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 07:33 PM
  #57
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
That Rangers article looks almost identical to the Florida article that popped up about 6 months ago claiming that Brewer was available. Don't you think we'd hear something here in Edmonton if contract negotiations were going so bad with our number one d-man that we were now shopping him? We can afford Brewer as long as he doesn't ask for a crazy sum of money and I'm very confident that $3.5 million/season will get it done (and even possibly less).

On a side note, it is ridiculous to claim that the Rangers don't need d-men. Even if they are rebuilding, Brewer is still only 25 years old. Any top 4 that includes Kondratiev in it is not very strong IMO. I don't see any potential top pairing d-men in the Rangers organization besides Tjutin (I'm also not very high on Rachunek). In any event, Brewer will not likely be traded unless a team vastly overpays. We simply don't have anyone that can soak up the minutes Brewer plays until Semenov, Lynch and Woywitka develop. I'm not going to start worrying until I read something about this in a local paper (and not by Brownlee).
I didn't hear anything about Niinimaa before he left, this is rumour #2 about Brewer.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 07:38 PM
  #58
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,033
vCash: 500
Prucha, do you think Brewer would be the #1 d-man on the Rangers if he was traded there for the start of next season?

We all know he's better than Poti, and Poti is your top minute man now that Leetch is gone.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 07:41 PM
  #59
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I didn't hear anything about Niinimaa before he left, this is rumour #2 about Brewer.
There were rumblings about his knees and his "spasticity" (or whatever) making him less valuable to the organization. Or maybe that was after the trade... I don't remember exactly...

Cloned is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 07:44 PM
  #60
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,823
vCash: 500
admittedly, I'm not a big Brewer fan, I suppose, in the sense that I don't think he'll ever be the dominant #1 D some might expect.

Then again, I don't think I'd make a deal involving Brewer to the Rags unless it were something like:

Brewer,Isbister

for

Tyutin, Lundmark, 6 overall, 36 overall

speeds is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 07:46 PM
  #61
elphy101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
Enough with the trade Brewer comments. Let's keep, I'm tired of rebuilding. Brewer is young and our best dman, it makes no sense to deal him. Especially since a new CBA will be in place before the start of next season. At worst, qualify him and wait.

elphy101 is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 08:16 PM
  #62
mamettt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
I think a couple of facts need to be admitted as true by everyone in any discussion in regards to Brewer:

1) Until negotiations get started in earnest, and until Lowe knows what exactly he's dealing with in terms of Brewer's contract demands, or unless someone really wows Lowe on draft day, Brewer will not be shopped for a couple months, if at all.

2) Smith, not Brewer, would be the first oilers blueliner involved in trade discussions. He's older by almost 5 years, he's not as fast or as good on the PP, and he's more expensive. He's a glue type player on the backend, no doubt, but Brewer is our #1, and if Brewer's asking anywhere btw 2.5-3.5 to sign here, then we do it and move the older, just as expensive but less valuable smith to someone else. Smith is nearing FA and it makes sense to trade him right now for a young, up and coming physical d-man that will develop defensively, or a big, strong center. Either way, Smith should be the one on the hot seat.

3) If we traded Brewer for picks/prospects, it would effectively kill our playoff chances for next year. Unless we get a d-man who can play somewhere near brewer's minutes consistently and effectively(a derek morris type) than this team simply doesn't have enough NHL depth on D to make up for his loss. Semenov is far from being the 20 minute a night player he will become, Woywitka and Lynch have yet to even get their feet wet, and Bergeron has neither the size nor the defensive aptitude for it. In short, until Woywitka, Semenov, and Lynch develop, trading Brewer for anything but a 20 minutes-a-night NHL defensmen cripples this team. And does anybody really want igor ulanov or cory cross out there in brewer's spots?


Last edited by mamettt: 06-01-2004 at 08:21 PM.
mamettt is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 08:19 PM
  #63
Prucha73
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Prucha, do you think Brewer would be the #1 d-man on the Rangers if he was traded there for the start of next season?

We all know he's better than Poti, and Poti is your top minute man now that Leetch is gone.
Probably, but that doesn't mean we NEED him or that we would want to pay a ton to get him, we have a good defense that will surprise many people.

Prucha73 is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 08:21 PM
  #64
Prucha73
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
admittedly, I'm not a big Brewer fan, I suppose, in the sense that I don't think he'll ever be the dominant #1 D some might expect.

Then again, I don't think I'd make a deal involving Brewer to the Rags unless it were something like:

Brewer,Isbister

for

Tyutin, Lundmark, 6 overall, 36 overall
This will never happen, if Sather does this he will be canned. He will rebuild like he promised, not trade away the youth.


Last edited by Prucha73: 06-01-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Prucha73 is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 08:51 PM
  #65
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Speeds prop. is an overpay - but that is what it will take for Brewer because, as mentioned, it'll take a MASSIVE over-pay to get our 25 year old Olympian #1 blueliner.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 09:15 PM
  #66
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,904
vCash: 500
I agree with Mammett

They will trade Smith before they consider trading Brewer.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 09:26 PM
  #67
hockeychild99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 341
vCash: 500
Let him go!

We could use him to move up in the draft.

hockeychild99 is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 09:32 PM
  #68
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,904
vCash: 500
The draft is not strong enough

After the first two picks it is a real crapshot. You will find teams trading down this year IMO more than trading up.

Unless Brewer gets you the one of the first two picks there is no way I would trade him to move up and considering that the Russian Hockey Federation is strongly rumoured to be looking at receving 3 million american to release Ovechin or Malkin I am not sure I would do it even then.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 10:30 PM
  #69
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamettt
I think a couple of facts need to be admitted as true by everyone in any discussion in regards to Brewer:

2) Smith, not Brewer, would be the first oilers blueliner involved in trade discussions. He's older by almost 5 years, he's not as fast or as good on the PP, and he's more expensive. He's a glue type player on the backend, no doubt, but Brewer is our #1, and if Brewer's asking anywhere btw 2.5-3.5 to sign here, then we do it and move the older, just as expensive but less valuable smith to someone else. Smith is nearing FA and it makes sense to trade him right now for a young, up and coming physical d-man that will develop defensively, or a big, strong center. Either way, Smith should be the one on the hot seat.
I agree that Smith fits the profile of who would usually go, but the Moreau signing and the Nedved trade last season bucked the old trend and there are some good reasons for keeping Smith ahead of Brewer.

1) More leadership on a team that will be breaking in Lynch and Woywitka. It would be nice to see an Oiler lineup with a solid veteran blueline.
2) He's more physical
3) He may not be any more expensive than Eric. For starters, I don't think there's a team out there that would pay Smith more than the Oilers did last season, and Eric's coming off of his second straight trip to an elite international tourney
4) Eric has far more trade value

The scariest thing for me is when I think about what kind of player Brewer might become if Smith suddenly left and Eric was the undisputed #1 here. Then again, what kind of salary would he ask for in that scenario

Quote:
3) If we traded Brewer for picks/prospects, it would effectively kill our playoff chances for next year. Unless we get a d-man who can play somewhere near brewer's minutes consistently and effectively(a derek morris type) than this team simply doesn't have enough NHL depth on D to make up for his loss. Semenov is far from being the 20 minute a night player he will become, Woywitka and Lynch have yet to even get their feet wet, and Bergeron has neither the size nor the defensive aptitude for it. In short, until Woywitka, Semenov, and Lynch develop, trading Brewer for anything but a 20 minutes-a-night NHL defensmen cripples this team. And does anybody really want igor ulanov or cory cross out there in brewer's spots?
Smith Staios
Ulanov Semenov
Cross Bergeron
Woy Lynch

I think that this lineup will cost the same amount as if Brewer was in Smyth's place, and there's plenty of solid minutes in a crew like this. Especially if Semi's game gets back on track.

I'm not saying this is the only way to go, I'd rather see Brewer stay instead of Smith, but if Lowe figures that's the way to go he probably has very good reasons for it and it's not such a drastic step.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 10:39 PM
  #70
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
Probably, but that doesn't mean we NEED him or that we would want to pay a ton to get him, we have a good defense that will surprise many people.
That's the optimist in you talking. The reality is that you have some not-so-great veterans and some inexperienced future stars.

Picking up Brewer wouldn't spell the end of your great youth movement either, he won't be in his prime for two more years.

But whatever, I'm not here to sell you Eric Brewer, just to say that I don't agree with your assessment.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
06-02-2004, 01:37 AM
  #71
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,577
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
After the first two picks it is a real crapshot. You will find teams trading down this year IMO more than trading up.
How is that even possible?


Anyways, I don't see Brewer leaving Edmonton unless it's for a HUGE overpayment (and Brewer + 14th overall for Tyutin + 6th overall is not, by any means, an overpayment). 3.5million should be enough to sign him and that's not an unreasonable amount to be paying him by any means.

misfit is offline  
Old
06-02-2004, 03:22 AM
  #72
Asiaoil
Registered User
 
Asiaoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Thailand
Posts: 5,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
Anyways, I don't see Brewer leaving Edmonton unless it's for a HUGE overpayment
....and even then I don't see it. Where are you going to find a guy with Brewer's combination of size, skill, age, salary and ability to log big minutes - no where.

We are in a perfect positon with Brew actually - his numbers simply do not justify a big raise so I would be stunned if he went arb. But his play at the end of last year started to show what he may be capable of. This is the perfect time to sew him up for several years at a reasonable amount of money (say about $3 million per).

If any dman in Edmonton is going - it's Smith because Staios is pretty much ready to take his role and salary slot on the 2nd pair. I would send Smith, Rita and the Philly picks (#25 and the 3rd rounder) pick for Weiss and the #7 pick.

Asiaoil is offline  
Old
06-02-2004, 03:13 PM
  #73
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
How is that even possible?


Anyways, I don't see Brewer leaving Edmonton unless it's for a HUGE overpayment (and Brewer + 14th overall for Tyutin + 6th overall is not, by any means, an overpayment). 3.5million should be enough to sign him and that's not an unreasonable amount to be paying him by any means.
Yes its possible. The Oilers did it last year.

They let New Jersey have their pick and picked later. So in essence they are trading down.

In other words they will let other teams trade up.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
06-02-2004, 03:25 PM
  #74
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Yes its possible. The Oilers did it last year.

They let New Jersey have their pick and picked later. So in essence they are trading down.

In other words they will let other teams trade up.
No, but how can more teams trade down than up (which was the question). Obviously, if there is one team trading down, another team has to trade up right?

Just minor semantics...

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline  
Old
06-02-2004, 03:25 PM
  #75
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
no, he means how is it possible for more teams to trade up then down? The number has to be equal you mathmatical genius, you

thome_26 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.