HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft News and Other Fodder

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2004, 02:44 PM
Park #2

vCash: 500
Draft News and Other Fodder

Marek Schwarz, who happens to be profiled on NYR Website, is really moving up rapidly on many teams draft boards - so much so that many teams have him rated equal to or above Montoya. Don't be shocked to see him slip into top 15 - remember when the NJD traded down to take Brodeur - giving up Kidd in the process? It is a similar situation.

Another interesting rumor is that Brett Hull has let it be known he would be interested in returning to STL at a discounted rate. The bigger question is whether the Blues will have him - all depends on the CBA. If Pronger is gone, Hull on the cheap MIGHT be a way to smooth fan discontent in STL.

George McPhee has talked to SEVERAL teams, including the NYR, to guage the worth of Ovechkin on the market. I'm by no means saying any trade is in the works - but McPhee has talked to several teams. Any deal would include 2 1st round Ranger picks, a prospect (Capitals came away VERY impressed with Prucha from the WC, FYI) and Lundmark at a minimum. Again, not saying any trade is GOING to happen - but McPhee is weighing options. Sather absolutely covets Ovechkin - so we'll see.

At this point, as I posted earlier, I would NOT be surprised to see the NYR move into top 5. I would go so far to say it's 50/50.

The possibility of a Holik buyout has been discussed. I haven't heard, and perhaps there is no resolution to the discussion.

The CAPS would like to add either Schwarz or Montoya with one of their picks in this draft.

Despite some press reports to the contrary, I was told that Sather wants a head coach at the draft table. As with any information from the NYR - it is a bit suspect....

Chris Simon will not be back with the NYR. Martin Rucinsky is weighing toward playing in Europe for the rest of his career - which is even more heighted with the lockout. Robert Reichel is in the same boat.

Simon Gagne will be available at the Draft. Forsberg will likely not be back in the NHL nor will Teemu Selanne.

Prospects of an extended lockout are looking better and better by the day. At this point, 1/2 a season might be the BEST case scenario. If that's the case there are several teams that will be in SEVERE financial trouble and might not return post lockout - assuming there is no next season. If there is no next season, the NYR really missed out on not finishing in the bottom five for the lottery.

The new CBA, when and if agreed to, will certainly result in a lot of contract buyouts, and player trades. A lot of surprising names will be available for little - if anything at all.

Old
05-31-2004, 02:52 PM
Prucha73

Would Sather really be that dumb to offer so much to move up 5 spots and take Ovechkin?

Old
05-31-2004, 03:06 PM
DarthSather99

Prucha...Sather is definetly stupid but whether or not he makes that trade is another thing.....I hope it doesn't happen. The players/picks mentioned to be traded will outproduce Ovechukin by a large margin.

I'd trade out #1(6) high #2 and Lundmark/Umberger at MOST. I don't expect GMGM to take that proposal so no trade.

Old
05-31-2004, 03:13 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
I too am excited at what we already have. I wish we had won the lottery and moved up to second place, but I can live with #6, #25/24 and all the second rounders. Ovechkin will be a star, but those other assets are valuable and are likely to turn into real players soon.

Old
05-31-2004, 03:20 PM
karl_hungus

Thanks for the BS...er, I mean info!

(that was a joke btw!)

Anyway, it seems like it's going to be a very interesting draft...can I borrow someone's time machine?

Old
05-31-2004, 03:23 PM
xander

has it been decided that this year's draft order will carry over if there's no season next year? All i've heard is speculation. And how can players be drafted if there's no CBA in place, wouldn't it make more sense to hold no draft and just have it all carry over till 2006? Seems that would be alot fairer than just carrying this years order.

Old
05-31-2004, 03:23 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
Would Sather really be that dumb to offer so much to move up 5 spots and take Ovechkin?
Well, I know Sather covets the player.

If you are asking my opinion, I would trade two 1st Round picks and Lundmark.... That would probably be as far as I go.... I might include the lowest of the NYR 2nd round picks if I really felt strongly. If you feel Ovechkin is a can't miss all star - which is pretty universal - then I would argue that you must make that trade. I don't know that McPhee would do that.

I happen to think Prucha can be a very good player - I've been posting that since I came here - so I would really hold off including him at all costs.

Old
05-31-2004, 03:25 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
has it been decided that this year's draft order will carry over if there's no season next year? All i've heard is speculation. And how can players be drafted if there's no CBA in place, wouldn't it make more sense to hold no draft and just have it all carry over till 2006? Seems that would be alot fairer than just carrying this years order.
Players this year will be drafted with no CBA technically in place, so there wouldn't be a difference. Holding over isn't really possible - you have a whole new crop of players coming in, and the '05 class needs to settle their rights ownership - or else you'd have a bunch of undrafted free agents available for the taking.

Old
05-31-2004, 03:31 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
Players this year will be drafted with no CBA technically in place, so there wouldn't be a difference. Holding over isn't really possible - you have a whole new crop of players coming in, and the '05 class needs to settle their rights ownership - or else you'd have a bunch of undrafted free agents available for the taking.
doesn't the CBA expire in september? I know it's at the end of the summer, so all players drafted this year would be drafted into a cba. If there is a lockout then teams couldn't sign undrafted free agents, so it wouldn't matter, and there could be a provision for next year's draft in the new CBA. I think it's the best way to do it.

Old
05-31-2004, 03:48 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
doesn't the CBA expire in september? I know it's at the end of the summer, so all players drafted this year would be drafted into a cba. If there is a lockout then teams couldn't sign undrafted free agents, so it wouldn't matter, and there could be a provision for next year's draft in the new CBA. I think it's the best way to do it.
That is why I said Technically - For example - if the Rangers draft Ladd - odds are he will not be signed to a contract and thus be a part of the next CBA.

Old
05-31-2004, 03:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
It would hardly be surprising. It would be a move that is very much in line with the way that Sather has run this team; one player will make all the difference. He did it with Lindros, Bure, Holik, Kovalev, and Jagr. This the same story only slightly different.

Hopefully McPhee saves Sather from himself.

Old
05-31-2004, 03:55 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
It would hardly be surprising. It would be a move that is very much in line with the way that Sather has run this team; one player will make all the difference. He did it with Lindros, Bure, Holik, Kovalev, and Jagr. This the same story only slightly different.

agreed

Old
05-31-2004, 04:00 PM
Potted Plant

I'm not opposed to trading up. I just think that most teams who trade up overpay to do so. I don't mind trading up, so long as we don't overpay. Basically, I don't want to deal Prucha. I want to see what this guy can do. If the price is the #6, the #25, Lundmark, and, say Falardeau, I say go for it.

Old
05-31-2004, 04:04 PM
Prucha73

Park, have you heard anything about Immonen? Will he be in the training camp?

Old
05-31-2004, 04:18 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Good stuff Park, thanks again.

I think a deal is going to be made. Sather will try for either the #1 or #2. He's not the type to sit back and watch what everyone else does, he'll be active with the cards he has to play.

I don't think there is any question right now - Schwarz will go top ten, probably a team trades up to get him. Montoya won't last much longer after that.

Old
05-31-2004, 04:28 PM
Broadway Brett

Thanks alot, Park. YOU ARE GOD!!!!!!!!

BTW, I think that all of you guys VASTLY underrate Ovechkin.

Old
05-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
Thanks alot, Park. YOU ARE GOD!!!!!!!!

BTW, I think that all of you guys VASTLY underrate Ovechkin.
ALL of you guys? Shame on you

I love Ovechkin's game, would trade those two firsts, Lundmark and Prucha and call it a day. I just wouldn't trade next years #1, the 2005 class is shaping up nicely.

Old
05-31-2004, 04:36 PM
DarthSather99

I think Sather will make a pitch for #2 overall, a bit cheaper than #1. It will give him his center of the future.

Old
05-31-2004, 04:40 PM
free0717

Quote:
prucha, I would do that deal in a second. everyone says Ovechin is heads and tails above everyone else in the draft. Some scouts say his talent level is that of a Gretzky or Lemieux. If that is what McPhee wants, the deal is done.

Old
05-31-2004, 04:42 PM
Potted Plant

Alright. You've convinced me. If it takes the #6, the #24/25, Lundmark, and Prucha, I suppose I do it.

I mean, the guy really does fill a need in the organization. And how. I would like to keep our 2nd rounders, though.

Old
05-31-2004, 04:42 PM
xander

i'd do that deal if the two first are the #6 and #24 this year, not our's this year and our's next year.

Old
05-31-2004, 04:43 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
No, just let the 19 year olds get drafted the same year as 18 year olds. It would be a better scenario because we might see several 19 yo players in the league right away. No development time. As long as there is a lockout, I would suspend the draft.

Old
05-31-2004, 04:47 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717
prucha, I would do that deal in a second. everyone says Ovechin is heads and tails above everyone else in the draft. Some scouts say his talent level is that of a Gretzky or Lemieux. If that is what McPhee wants, the deal is done.
That package is too rich for me, I am not sold on Ovechkin that much to trade 3 or 4 top prospects for him.

Old
05-31-2004, 04:48 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway

Listen, what sather did was sign over the hill superstars and stars who have seen there best years. Ovechin is as close to a sure thing as you can have predraft.

What he is trading is two picks in the 1st round(not a deep draft), a good but undersized prospect who isnt even a top 5 ranger prospect and a young player who has seemed not to be able to reach his potential. basically we would trade a bunch of question marks for a sure thing 18 yo stud. In my opinion, if GMGM takes the deal, I would do it. I doubt McPhee would do that deal.

Old
05-31-2004, 04:49 PM
Potted Plant

A lockout that suspends the draft for one year might be a GREAT way to do something I've wanted to do for some time: make it a 19-year-old draft rather than an 18-year old draft. I think it would change the shape of the draft if players had an additional year of development time before being drafted. You'd get more finished products, there would be fewer first round busts, and first round picks would be worth a lot more. Teams would actually start drafting more for need because there would be more players who would make the jump to the NHL right away.

Overall, I think it would be good for hockey and good for most draftees to do it that way.

Closed Thread