- Galiev with three assists, a -2 in a 6-3 win (second star), Saint John leads series 2-1 (highlights here)
- Carrier with a goal in a 2-1 win (third star) as Lewiston takes a 2-1 series lead (highlights here)
- Mississauga a game away from sweeping Sudbury
- Kootenay continues its playoff dominance over Saskatoon 3-0, Eakin with a PP helper (recap here)
- Galiev with the lone assist on the OT game-winner in a 5-4 win, Sea Dogs up 3-1 in the series
- Carrier an assist in a 4-1 win, Lewiston up 3-1 (one more win from both teams and they'll face each other in the semis)
- Flemming a +1 with two minors as Mississauga sweeps Sudbury with a 4-3 OT comeback after trailing 0-3. Niagara their likely next opponent.
- Eakin with a primary assist (reportedly a rebound goal) and the backbreaker SH-ENG as Kootenay sweeps Saskatoon 5-2. Medicine Hat is a win away from facing Kootenay next round. Curious whether Brayden Schenn joins the Kings as that team needs some sort of spark if they're going to match San Jose's offense.
- Herbert scoreless as Sioux City drops the opener of their best-of-three series
Lewiston Saint John series opened tonight. Saint John won 5-4 in OT. Galiev had 2a/-1 and first star of the game according to the game summary; wondering if that's supposed to be reverse order? Carrier had 1a/-1; he was on the ice for the GWG against in OT.
Kootenay Medicine Hat game 1 just ended with Eakin scoring the GWG in OT; he was -3 up until that point in the 5-5 game. link
chlreporter: "Cody Eakin breaks the heart of Tigers fans with an absolute beauty OT goal. Ice take Game 1."
Eakin had a goal and two assists to stake the Ice to a quick 2-0 series lead... they're really on fire here, having won six straight. And it's pretty clear who won the massive playoff rental trade contest between Saskatoon with Schenn and Kootenay with Eakin. Big fan of Cody's (or at least my fantasy team is!), so I'd love to see him add a Mem Cup to his resume.
Also, there are highlights on Medicine Hat's site:
They're up to nine straight going back to the Moose Jaw opening round series. Bromley recap.
- Galiev with a PPG (the eventual GWG, second star) in a 4-1 win. Saint John up 2-0.
- Carrier an assist, +1 in the loss
- Flemming had two assists in a 3-2 OT rally to give Mississauga a 2-1 series lead
- Galiev with an ENG in a 5-2 win, Saint John up 3-0 in the series
- Carrier with assists on both Lewiston goals
- Flemming a +1 as Mississauga finishes off Niagara. Another win and Owen Sound will punch their ticket to the Memorial Cup along with host Mississauga
- Kootenay wins 3-1, Eakin with 1+2 (first star). Some twitter coverage from @joemcfarland:
- Cody Eakin steals puck and goes five-hole on Bunz. 2-1 #Ice lead #Tigers. #WHL
- Gotta give Cody Eakin credit. The kid comes out of scrums with the puck 95% of the time. Washington will enjoy this kid one day. #WHL
- Powerplay goes all for not as Bunz takes delay of game penalty trying to clear puck away from Eakin. #WHL
Eakin just makes things happen. Killing a penalty late in the game he skated the puck out of the zone, zigged and zagged and then shot the puck down the ice. In a foot race with Tiger goaltender Tyler Bunz, Bunz won it but send the puck into the crowd for the delay-of-game. Want another one? In the second with the Tigers on a long 2-on-1 Eakin skated the length of the ice to catch Wacey Hamilton just as he shot. Lieuwen made a great save but Eakin’s speed was something to behold. He’s worth the price of admission alone.
Yup depending on were galiev and knutsov(sp?) end up playing the caps will be great...imagine having someone like eakin on the 4th line. When the caps have depth like that it'll be sick.
I'd have to think that Galiev has a lower potential than Eakin at this point. Also, I'd bet Kuznetsov ends up on a wing as a cheap replacement for when Semin or Laich price themselves off of this team. A few years down the road our top 3 centers will probably be Backstrom-Johansson-Eakin, with Ovechkin, Fehr, Kuznetsov, and either Semin or Laich on as the top-6 wingers.