HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Reason Craig Patrick Left Rangers?

Old
08-25-2010, 10:01 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

vCash: 500
Reason Craig Patrick Left Rangers?

Hey all,

Can someone tell me why Craig Patrick left the Rangers after 1986? I know that was a tough season and Sator wasn't exactly buddies with the players but with the success they had in the playoffs, why did he bolt in the summer of 86? Upper management pressure?

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:03 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I don't know, but I wish he would have stuck around. I hated Niel Smith....and still do.

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:33 AM
BwayBshirt

I was too young to remember any of that.

But as an aside, when I think of Craig Patrick nowadays, all I can think of is the first season after the lockout for the Penguins & how Patrick was shoved into retirement after all that surrounded that season for Pitt.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:45 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I don't know, but I wish he would have stuck around. I hated Niel Smith....and still do.
Neil got the job done though. It took him five years but in that time he won Three Division Titles, Two President's Trophies, and of course The Cup! He also took the Rangers to the Eastern Conference Finals twice in a 4 year span. AND he did this all without completely tanking. He was one of the first GMs to think outside the box and started taking chances on Russian players, four of whom had a major impact in the early-mid 90s.

It's his post 94 stuff that was what did him in.

Patrick had a pretty good run in NY and drafted pretty good. It's a shame because if the Rangers had a hot JD in 1981 and beat the Islanders THAT season instead of 1979, they probably would've won it all.

Old
08-25-2010, 11:55 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Patrick was fired by then Garden boss Jack Krumpe. Patrick's contract expired and he was in limbo. He was told his services were not required after his contract had already expired. Krumpe hired Esposito to replace Patrick.

It was a weird situation. Sator had a contract but the GM didn't. Patrick tried really hard in the 86 draft to trade up to select Murphy or Carson. Could not make a deal so he took Leetch instead. Then Patrick wasn't brought back.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:05 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Interesting twist about Patrick and the Esposito brothers

When Patrick was hired in Pittsburgh as GM,he replaced Tony Esposito as GM.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 01:48 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Patrick was fired by then Garden boss Jack Krumpe. Patrick's contract expired and he was in limbo. He was told his services were not required after his contract had already expired. Krumpe hired Esposito to replace Patrick.

It was a weird situation. Sator had a contract but the GM didn't. Patrick tried really hard in the 86 draft to trade up to select Murphy or Carson. Could not make a deal so he took Leetch instead. Then Patrick wasn't brought back.
Very interesting about Leetch.

Was Krumpe displeased with Patrick? I was sooo young when all of this went down. I mean, yeah the Rangers didn't have the most functional or best season in 1986 but they made a lot of money from that playoff run.

Old
08-25-2010, 07:45 PM
NorthlandPro

His nickname was STANDPATrick. He froze at times and failed to move the team forward. He like most men who have become the GM of the NYRs had to deal with the 2 headed monster, fill the joint, sell ad time by putting a somewhat entertaining team on the ice and also develop talent. We never suck bad enough to get consistant top 1-5 picks that you need to really build a team. He goes to Pitt and no one cares if they suck and is allowed to build a team.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote