HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign F Raffi Torres to 1-Year, $1 Million Deal

Old
08-25-2010, 01:42 PM
yourideahorse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Can never have too many Mexican-Canadians.
Agreed. And now I get to use my old nickname for him more often...Dirty Sanchez

yourideahorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 02:37 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Agreed on Sweatt. If he proves to have a good shot on the PP and is adequate defensively, I think he'll be the #8 defenseman this season. I believe he's also ineligible for waivers so he can be shuttled up and down if the Canucks are tight up against the cap (they will be).

I'm coming around on Bieksa and Mitchell if Gillis can make the numbers work. If he can, I don't see any reason not to do it.
All things considered I'd rather have Sweatt in the line-up than Bieksa. We're talking about a third pairing/second pp unit role. There is no way Sweatt can be a dumber hockey player than Bieksa, we've got enough offense from our top 4 and we'd save over $3m in cap hit. Plus we'd get additional assets back for Bieksa.

Even if it works cap wise with Salo out, Bieksa makes us a worse team. His bad moments are simply too bad to overcome.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 02:43 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
All things considered I'd rather have Sweatt in the line-up than Bieksa. We're talking about a third pairing/second pp unit role. There is no way Sweatt can be a dumber hockey player than Bieksa, we've got enough offense from our top 4 and we'd save over $3m in cap hit. Plus we'd get additional assets back for Bieksa.

Even if it works cap wise with Salo out, Bieksa makes us a worse team. His bad moments are simply too bad to overcome.
if there are no cap issues, I'd rather just have Bieksa back for his last year, then drop him at this point, especially with Mitchell now gone.

Bieksa has been bad for long stretches, but he's still a decent dman when he's got his game going... if it's not a cap issue at all, then I'd rather take that risk with just 1yr left that he'll have a good final year before his contract is up... he is playing for a new contract now, and especially with more depth added to the team where he wouldn't need to be any higher than a bottom-pairing guy (which is where AV had him when we had a healthy defense for those short-stretches the past couple years), I think he could still be a good asset for us.

Cap problems aside, I'd rather see Bieksa as the #5/6 guy on this team than Sweatt... at least at this point without Sweatt having proven anything... if he can come in and play great for a few games in injury relief, that could change, but right now he's still a fringe NHLer who may be no better than AHL material.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 02:50 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Interesting, for those who didn't know (I didn't) Torres played junior in Brampton

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
if there are no cap issues, I'd rather just have Bieksa back for his last year, then drop him at this point, especially with Mitchell now gone.
There are cap issues, though. We still have to be under the cap, Salo included, at the end of camp. Even with a 22-man roster excluding O'Brien, keeping Bieksa puts us around a million over.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:02 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
There are cap issues, though. We still have to be under the cap, Salo included, at the end of camp. Even with a 22-man roster excluding O'Brien, keeping Bieksa puts us around a million over.
Although the LTIR relief isn't permanent, we do get the cap space until Salo returns. So the cap issues come further down the line.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Red

Quite happy with this signing for $1m. Provides some depth for the top 6 should injuries occur, and has the flexibility to be used on either the 3rd or 4th line depending on who's going at the time and the opponents. I think Torres was my most hated Oilers player when he played for them - I absolutely hated how he'd always burn us and then throw himself into the boards with ****ING rights and a douchey expression. I'm glad he's on our team now. I don't expect much from him other than to be a tad more physical than Bernier and put up 12-15 goals. For $1m, that's still a bargain.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:14 PM
lefty2time*

Hmmm I dont get it....With this signing..doesnt it take us over the cap once Salo returns (assuming we dont trade Bieksa)

As far as i know it..i thought that we are okay cap wise using bieksa while salo is out..but once Salo is back then we have to get back under the cap? How will this be possible? We would have to trade someone.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Alain Vigneault loves Tanner Glass. That's why they signed him to a one-way contract.

Jannik Hansen will probably be a healthy scratch most nights. (despite the fact he's deserving of a roster spot)
Well Hansen played every playoff game, Glass played 4 games, so I dunno about your theory. Though I can't remember if Glass was hurt or not.

I'm not too sure why people seem to think AV has it in for Hansen - Hansen is the type of player AV generally likes. I think once Hansen shows a bit more consistency he will earn his regular spot. He certainly doesn't "deserve" it yet.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Like I said in the other thread - if anyone has a buddy named Dino D, it's Raffi Torres.

Excellent signing. Worst case scenario Torres struggles mightily and plays on the 4th line - not such a bad thing with his physical attributes and cap hit. If Torres gets his head on straight we've got a $2.5-3mil winger...

Is it safe to if the Canucks get knocked out of the playoffs this season we can't pin it on a lack of 'grit'? Does anybody still think the roster from top to bottom isn't big, tough or physical enough to compete with anyone?

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:43 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Like I said in the other thread - if anyone has a buddy named Dino D, it's Raffi Torres.

Excellent signing. Worst case scenario Torres struggles mightily and plays on the 4th line - not such a bad thing with his physical attributes and cap hit. If Torres gets his head on straight we've got a $2.5-3mil winger...

Is it safe to if the Canucks get knocked out of the playoffs this season we can't pin it on a lack of 'grit'? Does anybody still think the roster from top to bottom isn't big, tough or physical enough to compete with anyone?
I'd still like one more physical winger, replace Hansen with someone bigger/meaner. But that aspect of the team is improved. If Oreskovic pans out, and Torres plays well, it'll be a much more physical forward core that is for sure.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:59 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
Although the LTIR relief isn't permanent, we do get the cap space until Salo returns. So the cap issues come further down the line.
There are issues. If I remember correctly, players can only be put on LTIR after the start of the season.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 04:02 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
There are issues. If I remember correctly, players can only be put on LTIR after the start of the season.
Teams can become compliant right at the beginning of the season by placing players on LTIR.

The Canucks would have been over the cap at the beginning of last season if that wasn't the case.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Teams can become compliant right at the beginning of the season by placing players on LTIR.

The Canucks would have been over the cap at the beginning of last season if that wasn't the case.
Not to mention Philly would have been over the cap like three straight years.

Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 04:20 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post

Doing some more reading on it, yeah, it looks like that's allowable. But the effect isn't necessarily desirable - Demitra wasn't put on the LTIR at the end of camp last season because of the cap implications that would have had. I don't see that as something Gillis would want to do if he can avoid it.

And at any rate, there's still the problem of what happens once Salo's back - if somebody else with a big salary isn't out long-term at that point, Bieksa will have to go anyhow.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 2900
Torres will be on 1040 at 5.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 05:23 PM
biturbo19

Ugh. What happened to targeting players with 'character' and 'intelligence' Gillis???

I really dislike this signing. Torres is NOT a good character person. Sure he lays big hits and antagonizes the opposition, but he doesn't seem like the sort of guy we should be adding to the Canucks locker room. Besides, why is everyone so excited about a player who wasn't even fit for goal-starved Buffalo's playoff lineup at times?

Getting flashbacks to the Burkie days of 'Truculence and Pugnacity' with this signing. Really put a sour mood on my day.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 05:35 PM
God Bless Canada

For a million, it's a risk worth taking. Are we going to get the Torres who topped 25 goals once (on a team that reached the Stanley Cup final to boot), who scored 20 before the lockout, and who was on pace for about 25 last year before he went to Buffalo? Or are we getting the Torres who went 0-fer in 18 games with the Sabres?

If we get 20-25 goal Raffi Torres, it's a solid signing. Not many physical 20-goal scorers who are making $1 million, unless they're on entry level deals. He's physical, he's skilled enough to slide into a top six when necessary. The Canucks need grit. He brings grit.

He also needs to play like he has something to prove. Buffalo was not a good experience. Zero goals in 18 games for a guy who should have four or five in that span. And I think his failure in Buffalo weighed on some GMs this off-season.

He shouldn't be washed up. He shouldn't be a diminishing return. Not at 28. He shouldn't go from a guy who had 19 goals in 60 games with Columbus, to a guy who can't score at all. For whatever reason, Buffalo was a wash. I don't think he's one of those guys who can put up good numbers with poor teams, but can't do it with top teams. (Witness the 27 goals for Edmonton in 2006). He's not Geoff Sanderson.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Ugh. What happened to targeting players with 'character' and 'intelligence' Gillis???

I really dislike this signing. Torres is NOT a good character person. Sure he lays big hits and antagonizes the opposition, but he doesn't seem like the sort of guy we should be adding to the Canucks locker room. Besides, why is everyone so excited about a player who wasn't even fit for goal-starved Buffalo's playoff lineup at times?

Getting flashbacks to the Burkie days of 'Truculence and Pugnacity' with this signing. Really put a sour mood on my day.
Where do you get the idea that "he's NOT a good character person"? Seems like a regular dude to me; married, sticks up for his teammates, hosts a charity golf tournament for SFAC. Not really understanding why you think he's not a good teammate, I've only heard the opposite about Torres.

"Championships are won by teams, not by individuals and SFAC (Shoot for a Cure) knows that the research to take out this injury needs teamwork. Our motto and the motto of many hockey players is, ‘It is not the name on the back of the jersey but the name on the front that matters.’ Raffi certainly exemplifies that."

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
For a million, it's a risk worth taking. Are we going to get the Torres who topped 25 goals once (on a team that reached the Stanley Cup final to boot), who scored 20 before the lockout, and who was on pace for about 25 last year before he went to Buffalo? Or are we getting the Torres who went 0-fer in 18 games with the Sabres?

If we get 20-25 goal Raffi Torres, it's a solid signing. Not many physical 20-goal scorers who are making $1 million, unless they're on entry level deals. He's physical, he's skilled enough to slide into a top six when necessary. The Canucks need grit. He brings grit.

He also needs to play like he has something to prove. Buffalo was not a good experience. Zero goals in 18 games for a guy who should have four or five in that span. And I think his failure in Buffalo weighed on some GMs this off-season.

He shouldn't be washed up. He shouldn't be a diminishing return. Not at 28. He shouldn't go from a guy who had 19 goals in 60 games with Columbus, to a guy who can't score at all. For whatever reason, Buffalo was a wash. I don't think he's one of those guys who can put up good numbers with poor teams, but can't do it with top teams. (Witness the 27 goals for Edmonton in 2006). He's not Geoff Sanderson.
Way too much emphasis being put on his 18 games in Buffalo. He didn't fit, not the first or the last guy to not jell with a team after the trade deadline. Remember Martin Rucinsky?

Before that he was a 20 goals scorer and fan favourite in Cbus and Edmonton. I would take the multiple seasons and big goals and playoff performances over an 18 game sample in Buffalo.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I'll make this a general warning here...

Comments about players and unsubstantiated drug habits/addictions will result in infractions for libel. It violates site rules, so please cease those comments.

Thank you.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Way too much emphasis being put on his 18 games in Buffalo. He didn't fit, not the first or the last guy to not jell with a team after the trade deadline. Remember Martin Rucinsky?

Before that he was a 20 goals scorer and fan favourite in Cbus and Edmonton. I would take the multiple seasons and big goals and playoff performances over an 18 game sample in Buffalo.
I agree; people are focusing wayyy too much on the 18 games with the Sabres. Had Torres not had those 18 games he would most definitely have been priced out of our range (think Armstrong money). He was popular in Columbus (quite a few Blue Jackets fans have mentioned they'd easily take him back on the deal we signed), and is so dirt cheap even if he bombs it doesn't hurt the team. I also don't buy the whole 'bad locker room' talk either.

I'll take Torres over Asham considering our needs every time.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:06 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post

I think Gillis went by this statistic:

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:19 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post

If we could get 20-25 from Torres, this is one of the best signings of the summer.

His production will depend a lot on PP time, but with Burrows out there is a need for a winger who can shoot the puck and play with some jam in the top six.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
His production will depend a lot on PP time, but with Burrows out there is a need for a winger who can shoot the puck and play with some jam in the top six.
I might be the only one, but I think Torres will get a lot of PP time regardless of who is in the line-up. We saw Bernier averaging over 2 minutes a game, and he's not nearly the player Torres can be offensively.

We've really lacked that net presence the last couple of years (especially on the second unit; Burrows has done a fair job since being given the assignment).

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote