HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Rangers Daily News beat writer

Old
08-23-2010, 05:42 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
New Rangers Daily News beat writer

Jesse Spector. Young guy. A tweeter.

Quote:
I'm thrilled to say that, as of today, I'm the Rangers beat writer for the Daily News!
10:26 AM Aug 22nd via web
https://twitter.com/jessespector/status/21837557215

Quote:
25 days until training camp, so there's plenty of time, but the Rangers have "nothing new" to report on Marc Staal contract talks.
about 3 hours ago via web
https://twitter.com/jessespector/status/21937823993

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:06 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Hmmm Obernauer gone? Wonder where he went. He had some decent material on his blog when he decided to post on it, but he wasnt doing a good job IMO (at least for us maniacs on HF).

Right now Gross from the Record takes the cake IMO. Hopefully guys like him and Zip will show this kid the ropes and he'll start a daily and more informative Daily News blog. We could use another sharpshooter since Sam from LoHud left.

Curious to see if this kids got any balls when it comes to asking Torts the tough questions, or if hes got any hockey knowledge at all.
Quote:
After a week on vacation, I spent most of last week reading about hockey as I prepared to take on a new challenge here at the Daily News, as the Rangers beat writer.
Doesnt look like it.

http://jessespector.com/

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/touchingbase/

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:10 PM
ruckus*

Obernauer was garbage. But so is the Daily News' Rangers coverage in general.

I'd expect more of the same here. Maybe the kid will surprise though.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:13 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Great opportunity... lets see what he does with it.

08-23-2010, 06:15 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

He has limited hockey knowledge. He's a reporter first, hockey journalist last. If anything he's going to learn on the job

Gross easily is the go to guy right now.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Hmmm Obernauer gone? Wonder where he went. He had some decent material on his blog when he decided to post on it, but he wasnt doing a good job IMO (at least for us maniacs on HF).

Right now Gross from the Record takes the cake IMO. Hopefully guys like him and Zip will show this kid the ropes and he'll start a daily and more informative Daily News blog. We could use another sharpshooter since Sam from LoHud left.

Curious to see if this kids got any balls when it comes to asking Torts the tough questions, or if hes got any hockey knowledge at all. Doesnt look like it.

Oh great, he spend the week trying to understand hockey. Yea I won't be bookmarking him anytime soon. Sucks hockey is always 2nd fiddle to all the other NY sports.

We were so spoiled with...dammit I cant even remember his name anymore. The guy who left like a year ago, he was head and shoulders the best beat writer we had.

edit - am I thinking of John Dellapina? Man my memory is shot.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:24 PM
MSG the place to be*

sam weinman?

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

Curious to see if this kids got any balls when it comes to asking Torts the tough questions, or if hes got any hockey knowledge at all. Doesnt look like it.

Too bad most of us can't even access Steve Zipay's Blue Notes anymore

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Spector writes a baseball blog and is a frequent tweeter. Weinman had a golf background and he was a popular Ranger beat writer. Weinman liked to blog. Attend every practice. Talk to the players. Talk to Torts. Spector will be fine. Obernauer didn't tweet and updated the blog after the other writers.

The Daily News had Frank Brown and then John Dellapina covering the Rangers. They both work for the NHL.

The problem with Zipay and Gross is they haven't developed sources. Zipay wrote a sports TV column for Newsday before taking over the Rangers beat. Newday has had some so many Ranger beat writers. Laura Price. Jeff Williams. Greg Logan. Arthur Staple(who still covers the Rangers as a columnist). Gross covered the Rangers for Carpinello's paper and then covered the Jets for 2 papers(Journal News and Bergen Record)before getting the Bergen Record Rangers gig.

Brooks isn't a new media guy. Doesn't blog or tweet much unless he is whining about the NHLPA losing the Kovalchuk arbitration case. Brooks has the sources. Staple is a close 2nd for breaking a Rangers transaction-trade/signing. The other guys don't break stories. Dellapina had those same sources.

Tell us something we don't already know. That is the key.

Old
08-23-2010, 06:53 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
go to Blueshirt Bulletin, click Rangersphere, drop down gives you pro blogs; Blue Notes (Zippy) is right there; might be easier way but thats how I do it

http://www.newsday.com/blogs/sports/blue-notes-1.811976

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:56 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
go to Blueshirt Bulletin, click Rangersphere, drop down gives you pro blogs; Blue Notes (Zippy) is right there; might be easier way but thats how I do it

http://www.newsday.com/blogs/sports/blue-notes-1.811976
Thanks for linking me but it's only accessible if you have Optimum Online as your ISP:

Quote:
newsday.com is now available at no charge to Newsday and Optimum Online® subscribers. To continue reading, please log in or register now.
The rest of us would have to pay and it's just not worth it.

Old
08-23-2010, 06:57 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Staple is a close 2nd for breaking a Rangers transaction-trade/signing. The other guys don't break stories. Dellapina had those same sources.
Does Staple use Twitter? If so, what's his account?

Old
08-23-2010, 07:02 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
You're not missing much.

Last week Zipay mentioned in his chat session that Stepan could wind up playing for the Calgary Hitmen instead of in Hartford. Brooks made that same mistake in the spring.

Stepan's father on June 9th said it's either NY or HFD for Derek

Quote:
Brad Stepan, Derek’s father, said Wednesday that a report in the New York Post incorrectly speculated that his son would play for Calgary in the Western Hockey League in 2010-11.

“He’ll either play in New York or Hartford (the Rangers’ top farm team in the American Hockey League),” Brad Stepan said.
http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c002e0.html

The next day after the chat Zipay wrote Calgary is not really an option for Stepan. It's NY or Hartford.

Old
08-23-2010, 07:03 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Does Staple use Twitter? If so, what's his account?
http://twitter.com/stapenewsday

Old
08-23-2010, 07:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Thanks...

Old
08-23-2010, 09:28 PM
nyrmetros

It's amazing that people who know hockey, know the Rangers, and have a talent for writing can't get this gig........ but this guy can....... I wonder who he knows.......

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 10:08 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
It's amazing that people who know hockey, know the Rangers, and have a talent for writing can't get this gig........ but this guy can....... I wonder who he knows.......
I was thinking the same thing. There are quite a few people here who could honestly challenge for that job.

Old
08-23-2010, 11:02 PM
The Mouth

I have a pretty strong feeling that Obernauer was let go because of the scathing 10 years of futility article he did against Sather and the organization.

It's either that or he wrote it knowing he was getting the boot, and wrote the truth.

Never underestimate the power of Dolanvision.

These are my personal feelings on the beat writers from my experience.

Zipay - Literally has printed stuff i have said on the radio, hes been a ****** to me but nice to my partner in person. Plus he has a conflict of interest with Dolan/Newsday so how unbiased can he be ?

Staple - Had him on the show once. Guy can write and articulate. But he has no sense of humor, not that it matters lol

Gross- been on my show many times, fun and really cares about what he does, but told me he couldn't wait for the Ranger season to end because Torts made it so unbearable for him and the other press.

Brooks - Never been on the show, never returned any of my emails but he is the only one doing any real justified criticism of this team. Although Torts hates him, Sather seems to like him. You can say Larry is always negative and a downer but frankly things are pretty bad now.

Carp- Carp great guy but doesnt have the time or resources to cover the Rangers with any kind of intensity that can satisfy ranger addicts, but he makes it up with really good summations of situations and analysis. Fantastic person and a Seinfeld fan

Obernauer - Personable. but was really bad.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
sam weinman?
Ah yes that who im thinking of, he was by far the best.

Old
08-24-2010, 12:46 AM
morffin

yeah it was Dellapina .... good writer...the DN blog was great when he was the beat writer...went on to work at the NHL. Doesnt sound like this new guy is a hockey expert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post

Oh great, he spend the week trying to understand hockey. Yea I won't be bookmarking him anytime soon. Sucks hockey is always 2nd fiddle to all the other NY sports.

We were so spoiled with...dammit I cant even remember his name anymore. The guy who left like a year ago, he was head and shoulders the best beat writer we had.

edit - am I thinking of John Dellapina? Man my memory is shot.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
yeah it was Dellapina .... good writer...the DN blog was great when he was the beat writer...went on to work at the NHL. Doesnt sound like this new guy is a hockey expert.
Dellapina was great also, but I was thinking of Sam.

Old
08-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Ola

This isn't a complete non-important issue.

Here is the concern. New reporters, with zero hockeybackground -- puts the ear to the ground in Rangerland first and foremost, spinns of on that in perspective to what is said in the lockerroom and gets a product.

The thing is, visit one of these blogs -- what is really the talk in "Rangerland". For many years its been "We are loosssing because of defensemen X, he is the worst in the world" yada yada yada. Kind of with all due respect, or without it I guess (you can't have it both ways I guess), the talk in rangerland isn't always in touch with reality.

Like we had a coach who preached puckpossession hockey, and was handed a in reality -- without any single doubt -- worthless roster in every sense of the word. I mean we had Nigel Dawes and a young Ryan Callahan as our first line wingers, backed up by guys like Näslund and co, Gomez, Drury and a young Dubinsky at center; a blueline that, god I don't know what to say about it. And according to (80-90% of) rangerland everything was that coach fault.

I always wanted to keep Renney, much because I knew that it would be a lottery if whoever we brought in to replace him woudl be good or not. I knew that with Renney we would go in the right direction; while maybe not getting optimal coaching on the way.

Meanwhile, Slats was basically given a walk for the team he handed to Renney. None of the reporters questioned the fact that while making the team more N-S orientated, we lost all our creativity. (The issue isn't one or the other -- without any single doubt you need both.)

My point is, someone needs to question whats going on in this mishandled org. And that someone can't always just put forth word of Joe in the blueseats.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:10 AM
ruckus*

Haha some of you guys are acting like they use logic in the field of journalism.

God, what an awful field that is.

Elitist a-holes who, honestly, think they know more than you do because they have a journalism degree. And by journalism degree I mean they have an A.P. Style book.

Trust me, any one of you could probably do a better job covering this team. But you know what!? You don't have a journalism degree! So you're not worthy!

I really hate journalism.

*Note* This coming from someone with a journalism degree!

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Jackson Ranger

Bring back Walt MacPeek!

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:10 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

This reminds me... Dubi from Blueshirt Bulletin used to have crazy good camp reports - at the time he was really the only one running a daily blog so to speak. None of the other beat writers did this, so it was all BB coverage for the camp. He did a great job but he retired last year. Now we have blogs all over the place giving us up to date info, kinda makes that mag obsolete in a sense.