HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Regulation/OT W/L now first tiebreak in the standings

Old
08-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Regulation/OT W/L now first tiebreak in the standings

http://puckcentral.blogspot.com/2010...le-change.html

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Not a huge deal, but an improvement.

Now get rid of the trapezoid and we should be good.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 01:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Not a huge deal, but an improvement.

Now get rid of the trapezoid and we should be good.
I think the trapezoid is one of the good ones. I remember all too well the Brodeurs and Turcos of the league playing as a third defenseman and clearing the puck out of the zone every time it landed in the corner. It severely hampered the offensive flow of the game and added another facet that benefited trapping teams. Similarly, I love the puck over the glass rule, and hope it stays around.

As for the original topic, this is a step in the right direction. I would like to see a tiered system implemented... 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for OT\SO...which I think is an even bigger necessity.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:40 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I think the trapezoid is one of the good ones. I remember all too well the Brodeurs and Turcos of the league playing as a third defenseman and clearing the puck out of the zone every time it landed in the corner. It severely hampered the offensive flow of the game and added another facet that benefited trapping teams. Similarly, I love the puck over the glass rule, and hope it stays around.

As for the original topic, this is a step in the right direction. I would like to see a tiered system implemented... 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for OT\SO...which I think is an even bigger necessity.
I think there will eventually be enough momentum for a change in the points system because there seems to be a steady increase in the number of shootouts. last year 19 teams had double digit OTL points....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 05:43 PM
jcupp

I posted this on the main board yesterday. Last season standings as a 3 2 1 system.

Last edited by jcupp: 10-03-2010 at 05:20 PM.
jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 01:11 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 60
The puck over the glass rule and the trapezoid are useless rules another way to destroy our great game. Same with the shootout. I am hoping this is moving towards ridding this attrocity from our game. Seriously what is wrong with a tie game why end the game with a stupid skills ompetition. You play as a TEAM why end it with individuals.

Thanks for the edit BFC and my apologies to anyone I may have offended with the language...

Last edited by 29dryden29: 08-24-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Unacceptable use of word
29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
The puck over the glass rule and the trapezoid are useless rules another way to destroy our great game. Same with the shootout. I am hoping this is moving towards ridding this attrocity from our game. Seriously what is wrong with a tie game why end the game with a stupid skills ompetition. You play as a TEAM why end it with individuals.

Thanks for the edit BFC and my apologies to anyone I may have offended with the language...
I think the puck over the glass rule is warranted only if it's an obvious attempt to put the puck out of play. Sometimes it's just an errant clear and most times I think the intent is obvious.

As for the trapezoid, I'm fine with it. I would also be fine with getting rid of it IF the goalie is subject to the same rules as any other skater once he is beyond a certain area around the net.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I think the puck over the glass rule is warranted only if it's an obvious attempt to put the puck out of play. Sometimes it's just an errant clear and most times I think the intent is obvious.

As for the trapezoid, I'm fine with it. I would also be fine with getting rid of it IF the goalie is subject to the same rules as any other skater once he is beyond a certain area around the net.
I don't mind the trapezoid as much as the puck over the glass rule, but there is no way to realistically put it in the hands of the officials to determine intent. I would be open to experimenting in the AHL or a summer league with changing the puck over the glass rule from a minor penalty to a violation whereby the offending team would not be allowed to change as with icing, but honestly I'd be keeping a close eye on the number of pucks that go out of play then. Under the current rules, far fewer stoppages are caused by pucks over the glass...which is also a safety issue as well...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I don't mind the trapezoid as much as the puck over the glass rule, but there is no way to realistically put it in the hands of the officials to determine intent. I would be open to experimenting in the AHL or a summer league with changing the puck over the glass rule from a minor penalty to a violation whereby the offending team would not be allowed to change as with icing, but honestly I'd be keeping a close eye on the number of pucks that go out of play then. Under the current rules, far fewer stoppages are caused by pucks over the glass...which is also a safety issue as well...
True. Hadn't thought of that aspect. So maybe any puck that goes out of the rink should be penalized.

Old
08-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
True. Hadn't thought of that aspect. So maybe any puck that goes out of the rink should be penalized.
Any puck? Like a goaltender deflecting the puck out of play in the course of making a routine save? How about when an offensive player rings one off the goal post and over the glass?

I don't like any puck. But I do recognize the defensive strategy of putting the puck out of play. Heck, I've coached it several times in rinks with low glass (with no spectators behind it) when we're stuck with a long change in the second period, especially on the PK. I'll take the defensive zone faceoff and the stopped clock over having my guys pinned in the zone dead tired any day...

Not allowing players to change would eliminate some of the incentive, but would actually lead to more guys simply throwing the puck out of play to relieve pressure in the defensive zone regardless of match-ups or energy level. That slows down the game and presents a fan safety issue. Make the players make a play...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Adz

I was referring to the safety issue, not the stoppages. I think if it's deflected around the goal, then most times it'll probably hit the net instead of going out into the arena. And if it's deflected then the motion of the player really didn't hit it out...the post or another player's stick knocked it out of play...and the velocity will be diminished by the deflection. But if a player decides to play golf instead of hockey and the puck soars over the glass (or net) and into the arena, or if they miscalculate when sending the puck around the boards, then if safety is the issue , perhaps it should be a penalty.

Strategically--not a scholar of hockey plays so I'll leave that to you whiz kids. I'll just say this as a fan--it annoys me when the play is stopped for the "puck over the glass" rule--even when we benefit. But if having the rule diminishes the number of times play is stopped then I'm all for keeping it in. IOW, I don't like stoppages. Ha!

Old
08-24-2010, 10:59 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 60
Quote:
I was referring to the safety issue, not the stoppages. I think if it's deflected around the goal, then most times it'll probably hit the net instead of going out into the arena. And if it's deflected then the motion of the player really didn't hit it out...the post or another player's stick knocked it out of play...and the velocity will be diminished by the deflection. But if a player decides to play golf instead of hockey and the puck soars over the glass (or net) and into the arena, or if they miscalculate when sending the puck around the boards, then if safety is the issue , perhaps it should be a penalty.

Strategically--not a scholar of hockey plays so I'll leave that to you whiz kids. I'll just say this as a fan--it annoys me when the play is stopped for the "puck over the glass" rule--even when we benefit. But if having the rule diminishes the number of times play is stopped then I'm all for keeping it in. IOW, I don't like stoppages. Ha!
This is hockey people should be aware that pucks may come over the glass and attend at their own risk.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
This is hockey people should be aware that pucks may come over the glass and attend at their own risk.
I'm not advocating that fans stop paying attention. I'm advocating that the players pay more attention to what they are doing.

The rule is that a player must maintain control over his stick. If he's maintaining control, a professional player can control the altitude and the velocity of the shot. Will the puck still come out? Sure it will--because the shooter didn't maintain control--same as what is penalized now whether it's an errant shot or a strategic attempt to delay the game.

The comment was that having the rule in place led to fewer incidents of the puck coming out of the field of play. So make a few adjustments to the rules, with the knowledge that when the rules are broken someone might be hurt.