HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings sign Willie Mitchell (2 years, 3.5m per)

Old
08-27-2010, 02:18 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 500
http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/08/27/numbers-game-6/

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Corvidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
"A source with ties to Kovalchuk says Ilya felt more comfortable with NJ GM Lamoriello than he was with LA GM Lombardi. It made a difference."

http://twitter.com/EJHradek_ESPN/status/19023908087
AKA: Kovachoo likes evil.

Corvidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
From Hammond about Mitchell:

He said that while he follows the tradition of a defenseman wearing a single-digit number, he doesn’t like 6, or 9, and indicated he would stay away from 4 “out of respect for what Rob Blake did for the organization.” I suggested 22, but Mitchell said he would think about a number that held some significance to him. There’s your hard-hitting news for the early afternoon… I got a lot of good stuff from Mitchell about his recovery, so that should make for a good story in the near future.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
From Hammond about Mitchell:

He said that while he follows the tradition of a defenseman wearing a single-digit number, he doesn’t like 6, or 9, and indicated he would stay away from 4 “out of respect for what Rob Blake did for the organization.” I suggested 22, but Mitchell said he would think about a number that held some significance to him. There’s your hard-hitting news for the early afternoon… I got a lot of good stuff from Mitchell about his recovery, so that should make for a good story in the near future.

I think he takes #33 or #55

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 02:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Someone should tell Willie he doesn't have to worry about having respect for Rob Blake's contributions, considering Rob Blake didn't even have respect for the organization himself.

Last edited by GKJ: 08-27-2010 at 02:45 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 02:44 PM
onlyalad

Tell him to buy Greene a couple of golden adult beverages and call it a day

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 02:44 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Scuderi didn't take 4 for the same reason. Lame.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Blake was a big wig in the NHLPA. I'm sure he is very well respected amongst the union members.

As for Lombardi, why would players feel comfortable around DL, can anyone give one example of a time DL has gone above the line for a player?

The only one is Kopitar, Dean did pay him big money for a long time. Other than that, almost everything has been negative, inability to sign big name FA's, inability to retain longtime players, the Visnovsky trade, the Cloutier injury situation, trading Demitra after one season, the JJ situation.

Loyalty seems to be a one way street with the LA Kings

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 03:57 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
"A source with ties to Kovalchuk says Ilya felt more comfortable with NJ GM Lamoriello than he was with LA GM Lombardi. It made a difference."

http://twitter.com/EJHradek_ESPN/status/19023908087
so did $20 million and the agreement of an essential 10 year 100 mil contract.

i wouldn't be surprised if its kidna like what hammond said, chemistry is overrated. when team does well, they got good chemistry. when they suck, they don't. lombardi wont' give kovy wat he wants, they aren't goin to get along. lou did, they got along, surprise surprise.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Blake was a big wig in the NHLPA. I'm sure he is very well respected amongst the union members.

As for Lombardi, why would players feel comfortable around DL, can anyone give one example of a time DL has gone above the line for a player?

The only one is Kopitar, Dean did pay him big money for a long time. Other than that, almost everything has been negative, inability to sign big name FA's, inability to retain longtime players, the Visnovsky trade, the Cloutier injury situation, trading Demitra after one season, the JJ situation.

Loyalty seems to be a one way street with the LA Kings
I don't know... he paid to get Scuderi, gave Greene a nice raise, was questioned at the time for giving Handzus so much, and also brought in a big contract in Ryan Smyth. I think he's demonstrated that he will go "above the line" for the right player.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Johnny Utah

The Visnovsky situation played out similar to Kaberle, he had a window of time before his NTC kicked in and the Kings dealt him. So you can say the same about Burke....

As for Demitra, who cares, he signed as a UFA and Dean dealt him to get younger and Pavel got to play with is buddy Gaborik.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
The Visnovsky situation played out similar to Kaberle, he had a window of time before his NTC kicked in and the Kings dealt him. So you can say the same about Burke....

As for Demitra, who cares, he signed as a UFA and Dean dealt him to get younger and Pavel got to play with is buddy Gaborik.
I don't blame him for the Demitra situation, Demitra was brought in by the previous regime and probably wouldn't have wanted to be part of a rebuild.

The Visnovsky situation is totally different, Visnovsky committed himself longterm to the Kings, probably until close to the end of his career. And then he had the rug pulled from under him and was dealt to Edmonton, where no one wants to go. Don't think for a second that a move like that wasn't talked about amongst players and agents. Visnovsky had been with the Kings for quite a long time (longest tenured player at the time of the trade) and to be treated like that surely left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths. This isn't NHL 2010, these are players, with families, not pieces of meat.

For a guy who always talks about loyalty, that trade showed very little of it.

Old
08-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Johnny Utah

Hate to break it to you but this is a business. Lombardi knew he was going to draft Doughty, a similar player to Vis and also had already drafted Hickey so he dealt Visnovsky. I don't fault him.

Old
08-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Hate to break it to you but this is a business. Lombardi knew he was going to draft Doughty, a similar player to Vis and also had already drafted Hickey so he dealt Visnovsky. I don't fault him.
He had every right to trade him, I agree.

Just saying, don't sit here and wonder why UFA's won't come here unless we overpay, or players and agents feel uncomfortable with Lombardi.

I never said it was illegal or against any rules, but there are clearly consequences for treating players like that. The old saying, you reap what you sew, fits perfect here.

Old
08-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Brodie562

Quote:
he would stay away from 4 “out of respect for what Rob Blake did for the organization.”
So that pretty much means that at some point in time they plan to retire his number, ugghhhhhh. very lame.

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Lubo also was coming off his career worst season in terms of production, then followed that up by missing a chunk of games in his first season with the Oilers. As great as Lubo was during his tenure as a King, people need to realize that he is a depreciating asset.

Lombardi made a very wise and shrewd move in trading him when he did, and the return has paid off greatly for the Kings. Visnovsky is now 34 and doesn't have many years of hockey left in him. Whereas the Kings can get many years out of Greene.

Old
08-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
He had every right to trade him, I agree.

Just saying, don't sit here and wonder why UFA's won't come here unless we overpay, or players and agents feel uncomfortable with Lombardi.

I never said it was illegal or against any rules, but there are clearly consequences for treating players like that. The old saying, you reap what you sew, fits perfect here.
Look at how Lou Lamoriello has treated some of his players. Or Brian Burke. And they have Cup rings to their credit. A GM doesn't have to be well liked in order to be successful.

Old
08-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Lubo also was coming off his career worst season in terms of production, then followed that up by missing a chunk of games in his first season with the Oilers. As great as Lubo was during his tenure as a King, people need to realize that he is a depreciating asset.

Lombardi made a very wise and shrewd move in trading him when he did, and the return has paid off greatly for the Kings. Visnovsky is now 34 and doesn't have many years of hockey left in him. Whereas the Kings can get many years out of Greene.
You guys are totally missing the point, the topic was about player perception, loyalty etc. You are crazy if you don't think moves like this hurt the Kings perception among players and agents.

And just to add, Lubo is far from done, he looked excellent after he was dealt to the Ducks and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he returns to a 60 point level, I love Matt Greene, but he is on our 3rd pairing, Lubo is still a top pairing d-man.

Old
08-27-2010, 04:41 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
so did $20 million and the agreement of an essential 10 year 100 mil contract.

i wouldn't be surprised if its kidna like what hammond said, chemistry is overrated. when team does well, they got good chemistry. when they suck, they don't. lombardi wont' give kovy wat he wants, they aren't goin to get along. lou did, they got along, surprise surprise.
I don't disagree, but being likable and having good people skills can go a long way. Everyone wants to be comfortable with their boss.

If Lou and Dean were both car salesman at the same dealership, who do you think would sale more cars?

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Johnny Utah

There is no way we could've had Johnson, Doughty, Visnovsky, Scuderi and Mitchell....way too much money and we would've had to be looking for Greene and had to overpay...plus we don't have many Greene's or Mitchell's in the system but we do have Hickey, Voynov, Martinez, Deslauries....as opposed to Teubert, Campbell and Muzzin.

Old
08-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Look at how Lou Lamoriello has treated some of his players. Or Brian Burke. And they have Cup rings to their credit. A GM doesn't have to be well liked in order to be successful.
I'd rather model a franchise after what Mike Illitch and Ken Holland have built in Detroit.

There is nothing wrong with being classy.

Old
08-27-2010, 05:14 PM
KingNothing4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
I think he takes #33 or #55
Said he likes single digit numbers... 2-Greene 3-Johnson 4-(Blake) 5-Harrold 6-Doesn't like 7-Scuderi 8-Doughty 9-Doesn't like... So he'll be number 1

KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 05:15 PM
ukyo

Quote:
You may not need to be well-liked, but you need to be respected.

Burke may be a hard-*ss, but he put Bryzgalov on waivers so that he could have a career as a starter. That sort of move, in which he's keeping a promise to a player that he'll make sure he has a shot somewhere if not within this organization, is something players will remember and respect.

I don't see Lombardi ever doing right by any player if there isn't some tangible strategic gain.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNothing4 View Post
Said he likes single digit numbers... 2-Greene 3-Johnson 4-(Blake) 5-Harrold 6-Doesn't like 7-Scuderi 8-Doughty 9-Doesn't like... So he'll be number 1
So long Harrold.

Old
08-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNothing4 View Post
He can always pay someone to take their number. I wouldn't be surprised to see Greene, Johnson or Harrold give up their numbers. Maybe Jack gets his 78 now?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote