HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Center ICE?

Old
08-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 500
NHL Center ICE?

For those of you who get NHL Center Ice, I have a few questions since I'm thinking of getting it for the first time:

1. What was the cost of the early bird deal for last season?
When did they start offering the early bird deal(in what month if you dont know the date)?
Pay is in 4 installments right?

2. Did NHL Center Ice at least show more than 70 Rangers games last season?
What prevents NHL Center Ice from showing the Rangers...is it just when Versus shows the Rangers as an "exclusive" Versus game or are there other limits?

3. How many playoff games(if any) did NHL Center Ice show last season? Do they only show playoff games up to a certain round?

If there is anything else I should know about NHL Center Ice, any problems you might have had with them, etc, let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Levitate

I think it was $160 last year, but I'm not sure. I think early bird starts sometime in September

Not sure exactly how many games, but in general they'll only black out games that are local (like, I live in the Caps broadcast area, so when the Rangers play the Caps, I'm blacked out on Center Ice and have to watch it on the local Caps feed), nationally broadcast (on Versus or NBC), and a couple of times they've had games on NHL Network and it was blacked out in that case too.

That said, the vast majority of the games will be available to you

I think they just show the first round of the playoffs...maybe the first two rounds, but again, the blackout restrictions are the same so if it's a nationally televised game, you won't get it. If it's a regional broadcast, you can probably get the other region on center ice (like if Versus is showing one game on the east coast and another on the west coast, you should be able to get the game that's out of your area)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
For those of you who get NHL Center Ice, I have a few questions since I'm thinking of getting it for the first time:

When did they start offering the early bird deal(in what month if you dont know the date)?

2. Did NHL Center Ice at least show more than 70 Rangers games last season?
What prevents NHL Center Ice from showing the Rangers...is it just when Versus shows the Rangers as an "exclusive" Versus game or are there other limits?

3. How many playoff games(if any) did NHL Center Ice show last season? Do they only show playoff games up to a certain round?

If there is anything else I should know about NHL Center Ice, any problems you might have had with them, etc, let me know.

Thanks a lot!
1. I don't remember, but sometime in September.

2. The only reason they won't show a Ranger games if it is on a national broadcast.

3. Generally they only will show the playoff games that aren't shown anywhere else.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 04:45 PM
BlackDog13

The Early Bird is going on right now until Oct. 31. I paid $171.80 with Verizon.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i seem to recall paying 160.

ive had it for like 6 years now or something. best thing ever.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
1. I don't remember, but sometime in September.

2. The only reason they won't show a Ranger games if it is on a national broadcast.

3. Generally they only will show the playoff games that aren't shown anywhere else.
Looks like I'm getting conflicting answers here for Question #2. You are saying that Center Ice won't show the Rangers only if it is a nationally televised game. Levitate is saying they won't show the Rangers if the game is local, on NHL Network, or nationally televised.

I think the issue might be where you live maybe? If I live in upstate NY, and the Rangers are playing, I should get to see the guy on Center Ice unless it is nationally televised(on Versus or NBC)?

Old
08-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog13 View Post
The Early Bird is going on right now until Oct. 31. I paid $171.80 with Verizon.
Depends on the provider...DirecTV isn't offering it yet, and I usually don't remember people offering it until sometime in September.

Quote:
Looks like I'm getting conflicting answers here for Question #2. You are saying that Center Ice won't show the Rangers only if it is a nationally televised game. Levitate is saying they won't show the Rangers if the game is local, on NHL Network, or nationally televised.

I think the issue might be where you live maybe? If I live in upstate NY, and the Rangers are playing, I should get to see the guy on Center Ice unless it is nationally televised(on Versus or NBC)?
Yeah, it depends on where you live. Like I said, I live in the Caps broadcast area, so every Caps game on Center Ice is blacked out for me (even away games, because the local station here broadcasts every Caps game, etc). But every other game that isn't a Caps game or nationally broadcast will be on Center Ice (well, mostly every other game...there are apparently sometimes really weird instances where teams wont' actually broadcast a certain game. i think this happened with Florida and some other team last year, but that's not Center Ice's fault)

I'm also not sure if they still do the NHL Network thing...I can't remember if it was last year or the year before where I had that problem, but if they do decide to show a game on NHL Network, then it won't be on Center Ice. Like I said, not sure if they still do that though.

Anyways, just make sure you're out of the Rangers broadcast area (I assume upstate New York would be, but you might be in the Sabres broadcast area and so those games would be blacked out)

Old
08-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Depends on the provider...DirecTV isn't offering it yet, and I usually don't remember people offering it until sometime in September.

Yeah, it depends on where you live. Like I said, I live in the Caps broadcast area, so every Caps game on Center Ice is blacked out for me (even away games, because the local station here broadcasts every Caps game, etc). But every other game that isn't a Caps game or nationally broadcast will be on Center Ice (well, mostly every other game...there are apparently sometimes really weird instances where teams wont' actually broadcast a certain game. i think this happened with Florida and some other team last year, but that's not Center Ice's fault)

I'm also not sure if they still do the NHL Network thing...I can't remember if it was last year or the year before where I had that problem, but if they do decide to show a game on NHL Network, then it won't be on Center Ice. Like I said, not sure if they still do that though.

Anyways, just make sure you're out of the Rangers broadcast area (I assume upstate New York would be, but you might be in the Sabres broadcast area and so those games would be blacked out)

Levitate, thanks!

I have Direct TV, and I THINK that I am in the Sabres broadcast area...because when the Sabres and Rangers play on the same night, they will show Sabres on MSG...they will only show Rangers on MSG if Sabres are not playing that night.

So does that make me in the Sabres broadcast area?

If so, I will only have Sabres games blacked out(which i dont mind)?

Old
08-26-2010, 09:16 AM
NikC

Quote:

$160. You can purchase it now if youíd like (I have comcast in PA) 4 payments of $40

[QUOTE=2forsbergaura1;27525192]2. Did NHL Center Ice at least show more than 70 Rangers games last season?
Quote:
Yes at least 70. Some are on Versus/NBC/national and some are on Sports Night in Canada. At least 2-4 games against Tor,MTL or Ott will
Be only shown on the NHL channel. This is another purchase.

Quote:

Thanks a lot!

No HD, at least with Comcast in PA. Versus and national coverage (NBC) yes. If you dvr your games be careful
Of the channel lineup #ís and that you are getting the home feed (MSG) if thatís what you want. Sometimes you only get one feed.
NO post game. Once the final buzzer sounds the game usually ends abruptly. Stinks.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Evgeny Oliker

NikC thanks for the great answers!

In terms of no post-game, that does suck. However, doesnt NHL Center Ice have a channel for hockey talk or something like that where they do discuss the day's games?

Old
08-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Levitate

Quote:
So does that make me in the Sabres broadcast area?

If so, I will only have Sabres games blacked out(which i dont mind)?
Probably are in the Sabres area. Really not sure if you would get blacked out of Rangers games...you might since you can get them on MSG sometimes, but maybe you'll only get blacked out of the ones that show up on MSG and the others (when the Sabres are playing on MSG) will be on Center Ice?

Hard to say, you could ask the DirecTV people and see if they know...also check with them about refunds and canceling terms in case you get it and the blackouts make it worthless for you

I don't think Center Ice has a hockey talk channel, but it says on DirecTV's website that you get NHL Network for free when you get Center Ice from them. So if you don't have that already, you'll get that and it sounds what you're looking for

Old
08-26-2010, 10:19 AM
terrrrrible

If you have a cable provider that has MSG, will Center Ice still broadcast Rangers games? My concern is that Comcast is never going to get MSG HD, and missing games when MSG decides to play Knicks games over Rangers games. I was poking around and found a thread from last year on some forum saying that MSG doesn't allow Center Ice to use it's HD broadcast.

EDIT: Just found this in the NHL CenterIce Wiki - As of March 17, 2010 beginning with the game between the New Jersey Devils and Pittsburgh Penguins, MSG HD and MSG+ HD has returned to NHL Center Ice as confirmed by Gary Bettman during the NHL Hour broadcast

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Probably are in the Sabres area. Really not sure if you would get blacked out of Rangers games...you might since you can get them on MSG sometimes, but maybe you'll only get blacked out of the ones that show up on MSG and the others (when the Sabres are playing on MSG) will be on Center Ice?

Hard to say, you could ask the DirecTV people and see if they know...also check with them about refunds and canceling terms in case you get it and the blackouts make it worthless for you

I don't think Center Ice has a hockey talk channel, but it says on DirecTV's website that you get NHL Network for free when you get Center Ice from them. So if you don't have that already, you'll get that and it sounds what you're looking for
Thanks!

Ye, I dont have MSG now so if Center Ice will black out the Rangers games when they are on MSG, then no point in getting Center Ice. I will definitely have to give Direct TV a call.

I live in Schuylerville, NY (near Saratoga Springs)...so if anyone else is around my area and has Direct TV with Center Ice, I'd love to hear what your experience has been in terms of blackouts, etc.

Old
08-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I go to school in miami and I'm reluctant to pay the 160 to dish network because it's more than likely the Rangers suck this year and I'd be pissed having spent 160 to watch them

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 10:46 AM
NikC

Quote:
Thanks!

Ye, I dont have MSG now so if Center Ice will black out the Rangers games when they are on MSG, then no point in getting Center Ice. I will definitely have to give Direct TV a call.

I live in Schuylerville, NY (near Saratoga Springs)...so if anyone else is around my area and has Direct TV with Center Ice, I'd love to hear what your experience has been in terms of blackouts, etc.
it's my understanding that blackouts only apply to areas of competition.

For instance, i live in PA, so NHL center ice cannot show nyr/phi games, they are blocked out. I get those games on versus.
If you're in Sabres country, those games would get blacked out, but you'd get them on local tv anyway, so no big deal.

I don't get MSG either, don't worry about it. NHL center ice guarantees at least ONE feed, so if you can't get the MSG feed you'll get the other team's feed.

* you only get the first round and half of playoffs once it's starts to go on national coverage.

Old
08-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Just to confuse you a bit: I actually switched from Center Ice to Center Ice Online last year and I'm very pleased with it. I have a HTPC (home theater PC) and the quality of the feed on a 42" screen (720p) is very good. The ability to watch multiple games at once is also very cool.

In fact, my local cable provider (Comcast) does not provide CI in HD, so the CI Online feed is actually better than the one I got through traditional means. All a part of getting rid of Cable all together.

That being said, a friend has CI via DirectTV and the HD quality is excellent.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
it's my understanding that blackouts only apply to areas of competition.

For instance, i live in PA, so NHL center ice cannot show nyr/phi games, they are blocked out. I get those games on versus.
If you're in Sabres country, those games would get blacked out, but you'd get them on local tv anyway, so no big deal.

I don't get MSG either, don't worry about it. NHL center ice guarantees at least ONE feed, so if you can't get the MSG feed you'll get the other team's feed.

* you only get the first round and half of playoffs once it's starts to go on national coverage.

Ok, this makes A LOT more sense to me, thank you! I don't care so much about where the feed comes from , as long as I get to see the Rangers game. So what you are saying is that if the Rangers are playing say Vancouver, NHL Center Ice might not show the MSG feed BUT they will show at least the Vancouver feed?

Old
08-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Ok, this makes A LOT more sense to me, thank you! I don't care so much about where the feed comes from , as long as I get to see the Rangers game. So what you are saying is that if the Rangers are playing say Vancouver, NHL Center Ice might not show the MSG feed BUT they will show at least the Vancouver feed?
I'm not really sure how they decided which feed to use, but at least with DirecTV, I think you'll often get a choice of which broadcast to watch. There will be two channels for each game, one for each broadcast.

They might not do this for every game, but it seems like DirecTV is quite a bit further ahead in this whole Center Ice HD and providing more options and extras than providers like Comcast

Old
08-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
I'm not really sure how they decided which feed to use, but at least with DirecTV, I think you'll often get a choice of which broadcast to watch. There will be two channels for each game, one for each broadcast.

They might not do this for every game, but it seems like DirecTV is quite a bit further ahead in this whole Center Ice HD and providing more options and extras than providers like Comcast

I understand there might be multiple feeds...dont really care about that.

My question was this:
If say you are in Rangers country(say you live in NYC) and you have Center Ice and the Rangers are playing San Jose lets say...would Center Ice at least show the San Jose feed?

Old
08-26-2010, 11:04 AM
NikC

Quote:
you're welcome. glad to help.

*games against local teams (in my case; flyers) are blacked out.
but you get them on local.

Some games against Canadian teams (Ott, Mtl, Edm, etc.) 2-4 games a season are on Hockey night in canada/via NHL network.

around 10 or more games are on Versus/National coverage.

everything else you get. Sometimes both feeds (msg and opponent), sometimes only one, either or. Just pay attention to the channels page.

Old
08-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
you're welcome. glad to help.

*games against local teams (in my case; flyers) are blacked out.
but you get them on local.

Some games against Canadian teams (Ott, Mtl, Edm, etc.) 2-4 games a season are on Hockey night in canada/via NHL network.

around 10 or more games are on Versus/National coverage.

everything else you get. Sometimes both feeds (msg and opponent), sometimes only one, either or. Just pay attention to the channels page.
Ok, when you are talking about games against local teams...you are saying Center Ice will black out the local MSG feed but will still show the feed of the other team?

Old
08-26-2010, 11:14 AM
NikC

Quote:
Ok, when you are talking about games against local teams...you are saying Center Ice will black out the local MSG feed but will still show the feed of the other team?
no when it comes to local teams feed you get nothing from center ice.
when the flyers play the rangers i get no feed from center ice. I get it from the local cable provider, in my case comcast/CSN.

are you in Sabres country? you won't get any of those games from Center Ice.

when you come down to it between versus,natl coverage, canada, local blackouts you're only getting 60-63g from center ice plus a handful of playoff games and hardly any HD feed.

i use this as leverage every year with comcast. last year they knocked off a full payment and gave me the package for $120.
Imo it's only worth $100.

Old
08-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
no when it comes to local teams feed you get nothing from center ice.
when the flyers play the rangers i get no feed from center ice. I get it from the local cable provider, in my case comcast/CSN.

are you in Sabres country? you won't get any of those games from Center Ice.

when you come down to it between versus,natl coverage, canada, local blackouts you're only getting 60-63g from center ice plus a handful of playoff games and hardly any HD feed.

i use this as leverage every year with comcast. last year they knocked off a full payment and gave me the package for $120.
Imo it's only worth $100.

I'll have to call Direct TV to confirm if I am in Sabres country. Like I said, MSG here will show Sabres if they play on same night as Rangers...BUT if the Rangers are playing and Sabres are not, they do show Rangers on MSG. It is weird. So I will have to call Direct TV and ask them what happens in my area.

I have NBC, DirectTV will add NHL Network with Center Ice, so the only other issue to worry about is Versus and they only have 6 exclusive Rangers games this year. Then Buffalo plays Rangers 4 times.

So if Center Ice will only black out Sabres games for me, I think I will get about 72 Rangers games (82 - 6 Versus exclusives - 4 Buffalo vs. Rangers games). Sounds about right?

Old
08-26-2010, 02:53 PM
TheRedressor

Anybody know if Center Ice Online is available to those overseas? I have a friend who is going to be traveling this year and is thinking about ordering it. Will they block the programming if the source of your internet connection is foreign? Netflix does this with their online streaming.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 05:14 PM
BlackDog13

[QUOTE=Levitate;27534354]Depends on the provider...DirecTV isn't offering it yet, and I usually don't remember people offering it until sometime in September.QUOTE]

This may be true but the Early Bird is offered from the source, not the provider and it's available right now. As I posted earlier, my order for the upcoming season is in already with Verizon.

Here's the link regarding the Early Bird:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26371

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote