HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bloggers not welcome

Old
08-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
If they squash all dissenting opinion how does Larry Brooks still have access?
I'm not sure if this is right at all, but in my opinion they can't really get rid of Brooks because he works for one of the major newspapers in New York. In other words, if they try to ban him, he will have a ton of people backing him up.

It's different if they do it with a blogger. With an individual blogger who is not part of any major news publication besides his own, they can just get rid of him because he doesn't have the support around him to challenge the Rangers. They can simply just say "you aren't part of a newspaper, magazine or TV network so you can't be here."

If the Rangers try to do that with Brooks, (or ESPN, or TSN, or Sports Illustrated for that matter) I'm sure he will have lawyers from the Post (I think that's who we writes for right?) get in the Rangers face about it.

Again, I'm not sure if this is correct... it's just a theory.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:36 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
The main culprit is media guy John Rosasco who we have both and run ins with. For the lack of a better description he is the Josef Goebbels of the operation in charge of Ranger Propaganda.
QFT.

The Rangers PR department is probably the least accommodating and helpful in the NHL. And I'm not just talking about bloggers, but towards MSM reporters as well. But it's not just the Rangers. The policy comes all the way from the top and affects the Knicks as well.

(I should add that none of this is based on my own personal experiences, just stories I've heard and/or read. My one and only interaction with Rangers PR was for a photo shoot for an article my old college magazine was writing about my blog, and in that instance they were very accommodating and allowed us into the arena before a game to get photos from inside the Garden.)

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:37 PM
wa2k99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
he has naked pictures of dolan's wife?
Can't wait to hear BB radio when Jim responds...

wa2k99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:43 PM
squishy

Just to be clear, the Rangers stance on bloggers was around well before the Fire Sather rally. That's just a convenient example for them to point to when making excuses about why they don't want to deal with bloggers.

And for the record, some of the best work coming out about other NHL teams -- particularly those with minimal full-time coverage in the MSM -- is done by independent bloggers. Saying there should be an across-the-board ban on bloggers in the press box because they don't have a million dollar corporation behind them is incredibly short-sighted.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:46 PM
TomLaidlaw

I think everyone is missing the obvious reason for this. How else is Jim Cerny going to get to ask his hard hitting questions if he has to slither through dozens of bloggers in the dressing room?

One of the most unintentionally hilarious moments this off season was watching the MSG company man Cerny interview Gordie Clark and not make eye contact with him throughout the entire interview.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:48 PM
pwoz

Most bloggers are awful, unless they're actual journalists.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Just to be clear, the Rangers stance on bloggers was around well before the Fire Sather rally. That's just a convenient example for them to point to when making excuses about why they don't want to deal with bloggers.

And for the record, some of the best work coming out about other NHL teams -- particularly those with minimal full-time coverage in the MSM -- is done by independent bloggers. Saying there should be an across-the-board ban on bloggers in the press box because they don't have a million dollar corporation behind them is incredibly short-sighted.
sure, there are always exceptions to every rule...but by and large most bloggers dont belong there.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:58 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
sure, there are always exceptions to every rule...but by and large most bloggers dont belong there.
Yep. The only ones that do are the BIG time blogs or blogs of beat reporters.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:20 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The main culprit is bloggers who transcend the boundary of media and fan. You cannot sit there and give directions (which is, essentially, helping to organize) a FIRE THE GM RALLY and expect to be treated well by the ****ing team.

Sorry, that's not how life works. That's a lack of professionalism by an non-credentialed blogger. You want access to the team? Don't act like a dick and actually promote stupid, petty stuff like that.

It's pretty simple.

Jim ****ed up bad.
Simple? Should fox lose credentials for covering the tea party?
Should all lose credentials because they covered katrina?

This is very far from a simple issue. Who decides whether an org is legit?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:24 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Fox news gave a million dollars to the republicans, so under your logic the prez should deny them access to the white house. Right?

Politics is a scam.... through and through

08-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Yes. They also attended and promoted those "tax" gatherings a while back. So yes in a very similar way they've crossed the line. If you cross that line you cease to be a legitimate news source and should lose your credentials, no matter who you are.

Those are interesting statements to be making.

Realistically speaking, pasteurized, homogenized, spoon-fed news stories are not at all legitimate news. They're only legitimate in the context of being Corporate Approved for general consumption.

At a point in time where journalism and reporting are at an all time, pathetic low. At a time where most news/reporting outlets are more pre-occupied with reporting the distasteful exploits of Pop Culture Icons and catering to/appeasing Corporate interests and partisan-based interests; I find such statements absurd and grossly manipulative.

Just another example of dumbing down the American public and feeding the corporate machine.

Make no mistake, I'm not in favor of just anyone having access to the Locker Room or just any dopey Blogger being permitted access.

But to denigrate, dismiss and condemn all who dare to question, defy or rebel against the Corporate Machine, as illegitimate; is highly irrepsonsible.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:35 PM
LamoTheKid

^^here we go, another political derail.

Just like the whole Engadget stealing an iPhone 4 and hiding behind the Journalist Souce protection laws proved, bloggers are not journalists.

Sorry, but unless you work for one of the Major sports desks nationally or locally, this makes sense. It's not about dissenting opinion, otherwise Larry Brooks would have been banned years ago.

All of you bloggers who are ********, well, I'm sorry for your loss, but this is how it is. Maybe use your blog to get some official credentials or go to school for journalism.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:35 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post

Realistically speaking, pasteurized, homogenized, spoon-fed news stories are not at all legitimate news. They're only legitimate in the context of being Corporate Approved for general consumption.

At a point in time where journalism and reporting are at an all time, pathetic low. At a time where most news/reporting outlets are more pre-occupied with reporting the distasteful exploits of Pop Culture Icons and catering to/appeasing Corporate interests and partisan-based interests; I find such statements absurd and grossly manipulative.

Just another example of dumbing down the American public and feeding the corporate machine.
lol I see this thread getting out of hand

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-26-2010 at 01:42 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:37 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:

As much as I love blogs and independent news sources, they're just as responsible for contributing to the dumbing down. The difference is, anyone can do it.

Old
08-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
^^here we go, another political derail.

Just like the whole Engadget stealing an iPhone 4 and hiding behind the Journalist Souce protection laws proved, bloggers are not journalists.

Sorry, but unless you work for one of the Major sports desks nationally or locally, this makes sense. It's not about dissenting opinion, otherwise Larry Brooks would have been banned years ago.

All of you bloggers who are ********, well, I'm sorry for your loss, but this is how it is. Maybe use your blog to get some official credentials or go to school for journalism.

I'm not a blogger. And I have zero interest in defending Bloggers.

My response was to that specific post, by that specific user and his broad generalization of all who dare to rebel or defy. And he dragged politics into his post content. So I addressed that.

Old
08-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Fox news gave a million dollars to the republicans, so under your logic the prez should deny them access to the white house. Right?
Uhh, false. News Corp gave that money. So you might as well add the New York Post to that list. Its the third largest media group in the World.

It would be like charging MSNBC because its parent company, GE, has done business with Iran.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
As much as I love blogs and independent news sources, they're just as responsible for contributing to the dumbing down. The difference is, anyone can do it.

Oh, I defeinitely agree. 98% of these blogs are mindnumbingly stupid and being written by people who couldn't find a puck, if obe fell out of their ass.

That's why I plainly stated......." I'm not in favor of just anyone having access to the Locker Room or just any dopey Blogger being permitted access. "

"Dopey Blogger" Get it?

Old
08-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
lol I see this thread getting out of hand

What, no more clapping approval?

Turncoat

Old
08-26-2010, 01:48 PM
LamoTheKid

^^

No worries! I wasnt attacking you or labeling you a blogger (I address the post, not the poster).

Old
08-26-2010, 01:51 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Simple? Should fox lose credentials for covering the tea party?
Should all lose credentials because they covered katrina?

This is very far from a simple issue. Who decides whether an org is legit?
Completely different. I'll try to explain it like this:

CNN covering the War in Iraq: proper journalism

CNN helping to organize, as well as promote, an Anti-War rally: completely improper journalism

Larry Brooks writing an article that bashes the Wade Redden signing is completely legitimate. SB Nation promoting the Fire Sather Rally and then attending it is completely improper media etiquette.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:58 PM
haveandare

I think this is an outrageous idea. For starters, the NHL needs all the coverage it can get, especially in New York where hockey is very low on the metaphorical totem pole of sports. We have Brooks, who is a lunatic, Grosse, who is good but fairly infrequent with the updates and Zipay, who requires you to pay a monthly fee to read a few paragraphs every other day. Thats not exactly an all star squad. There are countless questions I have about the team that the 3 approved guys don't cover. To say all bloggers aren't legitimate sources is pretty much to admit that you're not comfortable embracing not only the future, but the present. Blogging is huge. Many people, including myself, get their hockey news exclusively from bloggers who might not warrant traditional press credentials under these guidelines.

I'm not sure I understand what attending the rally has to do with this whole situation. There are two sides to the debate, you think Sather deserves to keep his job or you don't. I don't think that subscribing to one belief is much different than the other. Its not something that totally ruins your credibility. You're not incapable of telling the truth because you feel one way or another about Sather's tenure. Let someone lie before you call them a liar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Mouth I totally agree with 99% of what you just wrote. But doing a remote from the "Fire Sather" rally whether you organized it or not is a damn good way to get yourself noticed for all the wrong reasons. By doing a remote from there you were basically saying you supported it. Look at that from the Rangers side...why would you want to credential someone who might come into the locker room and try to goat a player or staff member into saying something damaging about Sather or the franchise? I'm not saying you guys would do that, I'm sure you wouldn't. But they don't know that...just look at it from their point of view.
They let Brooks in. He's outright spoken ill of the management and the team countless times. He got in an argument with the coach of the team on television in front of thousands of people. If he's allowed in, clearly the fear isn't that someone is going to say something bad about the the franchise. As for Mouth and other bloggers, I'd hope that he or anyone else WOULD goat a player into saying something damaging about Sather or the franchise if it were a truth. I'm not going to log on to a website after every game to hear the same BS Crosby-like comments, "We need to play harder" or "We just didn't have it together" or that kind of predictable, tame garbage that the rangers site or MSG puts out - and I don't go to those sites for that reason. Its boring and predictable and its obvious to anybody who cares to think about it that there's more to every story that we aren't hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
im a blogger.

i have no place in that lockerroom, nor should i. i do it for fun, i dont have a boss to report to, i dont have bottom lines to worry about, etc.
Why shouldn't you? You don't think you would write better posts if you had direct access to the team? Of course you would, anybody would. Why should having fun, not having a boss and not having bottom lines to worry about disqualify you? Wouldn't that give you a different perspective, and a fresh take on the team? Thats what I want as a reader. An astute reader can tell the difference between writing that is done because the writer loves to do it and writing done because the writer has to do it. I'd rather read writing that isn't forced or constrained by deadlines, bottom lines, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
It seems like every day I lose more and more respect for Blueshirt Banter. If you want to be a professional writer with credentials then you don't participate in the Fire Sather rally. If you want to be a writer from a fan perspective and get involved in those kinds of things then by all means do that, but don't then go and try to get credentials.

I'm majoring in journalism currently, and one of the biggest things they stress is that you can not get too involved emotionally in what you are covering. Your job is to report what is happening and to only give your opinion to a certain extent. It's one thing to write about your unfavorable opinions regarding Sather. That is legitimate journalism. However, getting involved in the Fire Sather rally 100% breaches correct media conduct. If Blueshirt Banter is looking for nothing more than to be a blog about the Rangers in which they say whatever the **** they want then good for them. However, if you're going to go that route then you better stay the **** away from the press box and do your "reporting" from your house.
One of the biggest things to stress in every field, from my experiences and observations, is that you don't shine by strictly adhering to the rules. The rules must be broken if something great is going to be done. The herd is going to follow those rules and the standout talents are going to take the larger message from them and bend or break them in order to do great work. Journalism is about truth and truth often does not put itself in a place to be discovered easily or without emotional involvement. There's a huge, huge difference between "saying whatever the **** you want" and not keeping out truths that are inconvenient for the franchise.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:59 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
What, no more clapping approval?

Turncoat
LOL

Its still there, its just hidden lol

Old
08-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Completely different. I'll try to explain it like this:

CNN covering the War in Iraq: proper journalism

CNN helping to organize, as well as promote, an Anti-War rally: completely improper journalism

Larry Brooks writing an article that bashes the Wade Redden signing is completely legitimate. SB Nation promoting the Fire Sather Rally and then attending it is completely improper media etiquette.
Was that in fact what they were doing?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
True, but there needs to be some standard of professionalism. You can't just give out press passes to everyone who has a blog, even if they're half decent writers...

How to figure that out, I don't really know, but as someone who's family member has worked as a journalist for decades, maybe I'm slightly biased about how all this works and how people view stuff these days.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 02:16 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I know the Rangers have to look out for their best interests, but I love how they "hated" the gathering and subsequent Fire Sather rally. They didnt even bother to listen - but im glad it got their attention, albeit only a small flicker in time.

There always seems to be a disconnect and just a negative connotation between the Garden Brass and Rangers fans. Sather and Dolan are always hiding and its very difficult for the fans to identify with either of them in a way that promotes a feeling like they are actually "listening" to us. Thats why there are so many bloggers out there weeding through the bull**** we are fed each year.

Certain teams (not many) have a quasi-true connection with the fans. Thats not the case here - they never take the Ranger fans seriously, its all boils down to the bottom line. I guess thats New York though. The only way to truly get in their ear - is to not buy tickets.