HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Blackburn

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Blueshirt13

vCash: 500
Blackburn

Being that we do so much talk on our goalies...

Blackburn has played some NHL games (rather early I would say but will leave that alone for the moment). Since Lundqvist has to adjust his game to North American play and both he and Blackburn need time, does anyone see Blackburn being the backup behind Dunham (or whatever vet we have) and getting a number of starts (1 out of every 4 or so) while Lundqvist starts for the Wolfpack, getting use to the larger workload and NA style of play?

Yes I know this factors our LaBarbera so feel free to smack me for it but any thoughts?

Old
06-02-2004, 08:52 AM
Unknownbutfamous

Send a message via AIM to Unknownbutfamous
Blackburn needs some time in Hartford as the starter. I think Lundqvist should start in NYC. Some say that it'll take time to adjust, but what is their to lose. I think he can play with the big boys.

Old
06-02-2004, 08:56 AM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous
Blackburn needs some time in Hartford as the starter. I think Lundqvist should start in NYC. Some say that it'll take time to adjust, but what is their to lose. I think he can play with the big boys.
A young goalies confidence. This has happened before, when organizations push prospects to fast. I think it would do them no harm sharing the load at least initially and then the better of the two being backup to the vet.

Old
06-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Fletch

I don't think anybody...

can pinpoint where Blackburn will be come next season, but I believe Hartford may be the best play in the end, at least to start. As many have mentioned, Blackburn's just begun rehab. He doesn't have full strength (and I'm not even sure he has full mobility). He has not played hockey this season, which sucks for a 21 year old. He has a long Summer that will consist of re-habbing the shoulder (and hopefully there are no setbacks) and trying to get back into hockey. It's a longshot that he'll be able to jump into the back-up role come October, but honestly, you never know. The kid's determined and he's a hard worker. A few games in preseason and he may actually be ready. But unfortunately, it's not something the organization can afford to count on, as it is still a longshot.

Old
06-02-2004, 09:15 AM
rnyquist

But it's not that Lundqvist is 17 or 18 and pimply faced fresh out of the CHL. He's 22ish, been playing with men for several years, against some of the best talent in the worldchampionships. This isn't a teenager we're dealing with. If he was 18 fine i'd worry about rushing him, but he's not going to get any younger and i really think this kid is smart, it wasn't that Dan was rushed really but that he was never given consistent starts, either 20 in a row or none. If Henrik gets even 1 in 3 starts he'd be fine, start him out against the crappy squads and get him over here in the summer so that way he's got all summer and training camp to learn the angles.

Old
06-02-2004, 09:40 AM
Fletch

Lundqvist should start?

what is there to lose? If there is an adjustment period and he goes in and is overwhelmed as a starter, there is plenty to lose. Just because he plays with men in a Swedish league and has played internationally doesn't mean he a shoe-in for a starting NHL job. Should he be considered and not dismissed as a 'rookie' who can't do it, yes. Should he be given the job? Absolutely not.

Old
06-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnyquist
But it's not that Lundqvist is 17 or 18 and pimply faced fresh out of the CHL. He's 22ish, been playing with men for several years, against some of the best talent in the worldchampionships. This isn't a teenager we're dealing with. If he was 18 fine i'd worry about rushing him, but he's not going to get any younger and i really think this kid is smart, it wasn't that Dan was rushed really but that he was never given consistent starts, either 20 in a row or none. If Henrik gets even 1 in 3 starts he'd be fine, start him out against the crappy squads and get him over here in the summer so that way he's got all summer and training camp to learn the angles.
Most of the goalies don't break into the NHL until they are anywhere from 22-25. You can't just throw a guy like Lundqvist in there because he is 22. He may have been playing in a men's league but he undoubtably has plenty to learn about the North American style of game. Does anyone even know if he speaks English?

In my opinion, the fate of Lundvist is going to be dictated by the progress of Blackburn. Going into the season, Danny B is our heir and he deserves the best shot. If Danny is ready for the NHL, then Lundqvist goes to the AHL, if Danny needs time in the AHL for a while, then Lundqvist should be in Charlotte.

Old
06-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Fletch

I don't disagree Vito...

only thing is that if Lundqvist is in Charlotte, he's likely going to remain in Sweden. And honestly, I think that, even through Charlotte's in North America, Sweden would be more competitive for him and a better situation for him. It may be better for the Rangers to have him starting a ton of games there, and then some in Hartford and maybe even New York, but I think the notion of starting in Charlotte won't sit well with Henrik.

Old
06-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
Best case scenario IMO is one of these guys steps up enough in camp to hold down the backup job with the big club. However if neither prove that they are ready for that responsibility, I have no problem with them splitting time in Hartford and letting McLennan, Labarbera, Valiquette fight it out for the Rangers backup job.

Old
06-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Unknownbutfamous

IMHO, I just don't like the idea of seeing Blackburn and Lundqvist spliting Hartford good. Both need 60 starts in. I see Lundqvist being more NHL ready. Lundqvist has a good chance to back up Salo, or Telqvist in the World Cup. If he can make that team, he can play with the Rangers, IMHO.

Old
06-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
I don't like the idea of rushing either of them to the NHL. Blackburn got shelled 2 years ago when he was up. The same thing could easily happen to Lundqvist. I really don't think both goalies getting 30+ starts in Hartford is a bad thing.

Old
06-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Broadway Brett

NO WAY does Lundqvist go to Charlotte. He is playing great, and there is no reason to damage his ego, because he is already a very humble perosn.

Old
06-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Unknownbutfamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_23
I don't like the idea of rushing either of them to the NHL. Blackburn got shelled 2 years ago when he was up. The same thing could easily happen to Lundqvist. I really don't think both goalies getting 30+ starts in Hartford is a bad thing.
It's not like we are rushing Lundqvist. He has had plenty of development time in the Elite League(3 years) against men.

Old
06-02-2004, 04:56 PM
Unknownbutfamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_23
I really don't think both goalies getting 30+ starts in Hartford is a bad thing.
What happends when the Hartford coach rides Blackburn when he gets hot, and there fore Lundqvist is sitting?

I think that Lundqvist should split time with Dunham, who I hope we will deal at the deadline. This way if Dunham gets hot we wont have to ride him. Its no big deal because the Rangers aren't going anywhere, and there for we can play Lundqvist.

Old
06-02-2004, 05:08 PM
majicpixie

Send a message via ICQ to majicpixie Send a message via AIM to majicpixie Send a message via MSN to majicpixie
LaBarbera was awesome this season and should be given the chance to backup in NY. Trade Valiquette because he was only acquired due to Osaer being on the IR, right? So we don't really need him. Give Osaer the starting job in Hartford, and Blackburn can get used to playing again as his backup. Let him take time to completely recover and develop into his old self if he can. He hasn't played for a year after suffering from nerve damage, so he might not play the same as he once did. Another option would be to have Osaer and Blackburn split, like Patzold and Kotyk did this season with the Barons. We (the Barons) didn't have a permanent starter until Patzold sprained his ankle. Have Lundqvist play in Charlotte so he can get some experience playing the North American game.

Old
06-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicpixie
LaBarbera was awesome this season and should be given the chance to backup in NY. Trade Valiquette because he was only acquired due to Osaer being on the IR, right? So we don't really need him. Give Osaer the starting job in Hartford, and Blackburn can get used to playing again as his backup. Let him take time to completely recover and develop into his old self if he can. He hasn't played for a year after suffering from nerve damage, so he might not play the same as he once did. Another option would be to have Osaer and Blackburn split, like Patzold and Kotyk did this season with the Barons. We (the Barons) didn't have a permanent starter until Patzold sprained his ankle. Have Lundqvist play in Charlotte so he can get some experience playing the North American game.
Let's not and say we did, okay?

Old
06-02-2004, 05:14 PM
nyr5186

Its hard to satisfy the needs of both Blackburn and Lundqvist, so its a very tricky situation and theres no right or wrong answer. Blackburn needs a lot of starts in the AHL to get back into game shape and work on his basics with a full-time goalie coach. And Lundqvist needs time to get used to the North American ice and the language, etc.

IMO, its imperative that Blackburn gets eased back in and eventually takes over the starting role in Hartford. Under no circumstances do I want to see him in New York next year. This is a 21 year old kid who, in the three most important developmental years of his career, has played a total of like 65 games (and none in the past 15 months). Lets not fool around with him anymore. Just put him in Hartford and leave him there.

So this is what I would do...I'd let Blackburn and Lundqvist split games in Hartford for a couple of months. Then, at around New Year's, I'd call up Lundqvist and give him a shot with the Rangers. If Dunham is healthy and playing well at the time, then you can use Henrik as a backup for the moment. If Dunham is playing like crap, then you make Henrik the starter and see what he can do. This way, Blackburn gets eased back in, but still ends up getting a bunch of playing time, especially towards the end of the season and into the playoffs. And Lundqvist doesnt get thrown into the fire. He'll get some time in Hartford to get used to the culture and style of game before getting his chance in New York. Also, having them split time in Hartford will bring out the most in both of them. Nothing wrong with a little competition.

Old
06-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
Its hard to satisfy the needs of both Blackburn and Lundqvist, so its a very tricky situation and theres no right or wrong answer. Blackburn needs a lot of starts in the AHL to get back into game shape and work on his basics with a full-time goalie coach. And Lundqvist needs time to get used to the North American ice and the language, etc.

IMO, its imperative that Blackburn gets eased back in and eventually takes over the starting role in Hartford. Under no circumstances do I want to see him in New York next year. This is a 21 year old kid who, in the three most important developmental years of his career, has played a total of like 65 games (and none in the past 15 months). Lets not fool around with him anymore. Just put him in Hartford and leave him there.

So this is what I would do...I'd let Blackburn and Lundqvist split games in Hartford for a couple of months. Then, at around New Year's, I'd call up Lundqvist and give him a shot with the Rangers. If Dunham is healthy and playing well at the time, then you can use Henrik as a backup for the moment. If Dunham is playing like crap, then you make Henrik the starter and see what he can do. This way, Blackburn gets eased back in, but still ends up getting a bunch of playing time, especially towards the end of the season and into the playoffs. And Lundqvist doesnt get thrown into the fire. He'll get some time in Hartford to get used to the culture and style of game before getting his chance in New York. Also, having them split time in Hartford will bring out the most in both of them. Nothing wrong with a little competition.
I like this idea, alot. But, you'll probably have to flush it down the toilet, since there will probably be no NHL next year.

Old
06-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Prucha73

Quote:

What about sending one of them to ECHL? Or Loaning to another AHL team, if that is allowed?

Old
06-02-2004, 05:51 PM
filthy#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous
It's not like we are rushing Lundqvist. He has had plenty of development time in the Elite League(3 years) against men.
thank you; someone with sense

Old
06-02-2004, 05:57 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
What about sending one of them to ECHL? Or Loaning to another AHL team, if that is allowed?
Well, loaning one of them to another team is out of the question since all AHL teams are minor league affiliates of NHL teams.

And sending them to the ECHL would be an insult to them since its a pretty weak league. No point of bring Lundqvist to North America to play against career minor leaguers after dominating a European professional league the past two years.

Old
06-02-2004, 06:03 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy#20
thank you; someone with sense
I personally dont think its a good idea to just throw him straight into the fire right away, but I also dont agree with those who say Lundqvist needs 2-3 years to get used to this side of the pond. I think a couple of months of preparation in Hartford will do just fine before we test him out with the Rangers. He proved during the World Championships that he's capable of stopping NHL quality shots. Sure getting used to the angles and playing the puck may be challenging at first, but I dont think it'll take quite as long as many people seem to think. Better we give him a chance and let him learn from his mistakes now than possibly stunt the development of Blackburn in Hartford the whole year.

Old
06-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
And sending them to the ECHL would be an insult to them since its a pretty weak league. No point of bring Lundqvist to North America to play against career minor leaguers after dominating a European professional league the past two years.
I don't agree with this at all. The main points in bringing Lundqvist over are that 1. he can get used to the North American style of game, and 2. it gives us the option to use him. So while the ECHL isn't the greatest competition, it accomplishes both of those goals.

Furthermore, I'm not suggesting we keep him in the ECHL permanently. It simply allows the organization to play both goalies while there is a lockout and/or until Blackburn is ready for the NHL. They are both young, and they should both be playing regularly.

Old
06-02-2004, 06:44 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini
I don't agree with this at all. The main points in bringing Lundqvist over are that 1. he can get used to the North American style of game, and 2. it gives us the option to use him. So while the ECHL isn't the greatest competition, it accomplishes both of those goals.

Furthermore, I'm not suggesting we keep him in the ECHL permanently. It simply allows the organization to play both goalies while there is a lockout and/or until Blackburn is ready for the NHL. They are both young, and they should both be playing regularly.

If we're going to send Lundqvist to the ECHL, why not throw him in a rollerhockey league or perhaps a beerleague in NYC. Please ECHL may have the same size rink but its a joke as far as competition and anything else. Its like putting Kovalchuk down in the ECHL (not comparing talent, just the lunacy of the idea).

Old
06-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnyquist
If we're going to send Lundqvist to the ECHL, why not throw him in a rollerhockey league or perhaps a beerleague in NYC. Please ECHL may have the same size rink but its a joke as far as competition and anything else. Its like putting Kovalchuk down in the ECHL (not comparing talent, just the lunacy of the idea).
Yea you're right, Kovalchuk and Lundqvist are basically the same player. Personally I use them interchangeably all the time, just like Bobo and Malacough.

And you are aware that the player many people feel should be backing up in goal for next year, played in the ECHL just 2 seasons ago.

Closed Thread