HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's our biggest threat?

Old
08-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

vCash: 500
Who's our biggest threat?

Now that the salary cap smoke is mostly cleared and other teams have made the bulk of their moves, I wonder what everyone thinks which teams are capable of de-throning the Hawks. I'm not talking about who will win the division or conference, I'm talking just playoffs.

I'd still start it off with the Wings cuz they have'nt really lost anything of value this off-season. Their core is still re-tained, health again is just their big concern.

Nashville is in the mix but never a threat, St.Louis with Halak now you never know.

Los Angeles and San Jose's in there, but I'd say Vancouver is our biggest threat mainly, if we meet up with them again. We've beaten them twice and they've definitely addressed their needs that were sorely lacking when we knocked them out last year. They added Torres and Malhotra on their 3rd line and went out and improved their defense as well, while retaining everybody other than Mitchell of importance from last year. Their GM is dreaming of another crack at us.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Steve Larmer

nashville, red wings

Steve Larmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

Nashville has'nt shown me much in the playoffs and who's going to score for them again. I think Arnott left, Sullivan does'nt have much left. They are incredibly stacked at D and goalie but not so much at forward. The Wings are always dangerous.

When I say Vancouver, you know they are gunning for us big-time but I still think they lack the mental toughness that has kept them from putting us down for good everytime they have a lead in a game or even a series, but on paper right now they are the ones that are ahead of the other contenders.

Old
08-26-2010, 04:13 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Never a threat huh? How was that working in Game 5 until Erat decided to cough the puck up with less than a minute left?

I still don't get why Arnott leaving is such a big deal to everyone outside of Nashville. The guy was invisible. Hornqvist says hi.

But yeah, Detroit and Vancouver are your biggest threats.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 04:26 PM
MrSerious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Never a threat huh? How was that working in Game 5 until Erat decided to cough the puck up with less than a minute left?

I still don't get why Arnott leaving is such a big deal to everyone outside of Nashville. The guy was invisible. Hornqvist says hi.

I agree about Arnott. Guy did nothing in the playoffs.

Biggest threat is probably Detroit. In the regular season I could see San Jose and Vancouver finishing ahead of the Hawks but until those teams prove that they can do anything in the post season, I don't see them as a threat.

MrSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 04:59 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Detroit. I thanked god nightly when the Sharks knocked them out.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 05:01 PM
czechmate25

Vancouver.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

Alright, I'll confess I was worried when we were down in that game and Hossa went off..... I was just getting at that you guys have never been able to really bring it come playoff time, even with the 06 team that was incredible during the season.

Old
08-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Detroit. I thanked god nightly when the Sharks knocked them out.
I felt we could have won vs Wings this year

But I was grateful the Sharks knocked them out ,,,,,, I learned my lesson from 09 WCF when I wanted Wings and well we saw how that turned out

As for this year

Our biggest threat is the Wings

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 06:45 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I felt we could have won vs Wings this year

But I was grateful the Sharks knocked them out ,,,,,, I learned my lesson from 09 WCF when I wanted Wings and well we saw how that turned out

As for this year

Our biggest threat is the Wings
Could we have won? Sure.

If you got to pick one team out of the west to avoid next year in the playoffs, Chicago and Detroit at this point should be 1 and 2.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 07:12 PM
BlackHawkeye*

1. Detroit
2. Los Angeles
3. San Jose
4. St Louis
5. Nashville
6. Phoenix
7. Colorado
8. Anaheim
9. Minnesota
10. Dallas
11. Columbus
12. Edmonton
13. Calgary
14. Vancouver

BlackHawkeye* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkeye View Post
1. Detroit
2. Los Angeles
3. San Jose
4. St Louis
5. Nashville
6. Phoenix
7. Colorado
8. Anaheim
9. Minnesota
10. Dallas
11. Columbus
12. Edmonton
13. Calgary
14. Vancouver
I see what you did there.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:33 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I see LA as serious contenders this year. Their defense is stacked, their offensive guns are maturing and they could be including Schenn to the mix this year. Add that to Jonathan Bernier being in the NHL full time and the Kings are a significant threat.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 05:24 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Colorado... we haven't looked good against them last year + Anderson has a contract year

Vancouver... three times the charm for them?

Never count out the Wings... I do

Sharks haven't improved + they haven't replaced Blake (ok, not the same he once was)

East

Pens, Caps, Flyers

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 01:53 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
On paper it's Vancouver, but we're their biggest threat and the way they folded up like a tent against us last year and the previous year; I don't fear them.

I think it's Detroit or Nashville. Those two teams are strong mentally and very hard working. Both have a reason to think they can beat us in the playoffs too.

From the east, Pittsburgh and Boston

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 02:35 PM
helicon1

Detroit and Nashville. Not Vancouver. Don't really buy into the LA hype either. Our biggest advantage is that I don't believe any other team in the West has gotten much better. In the East it's Pittsburgh.

The biggest threat could be internal. Much like last year an injury to the top four and we're screwed. I'd feel much better if we had a guy on the third pairing that could fill that role if needed. Mottau would be ideal, but I'm thinking he re-signs with NJ when the whole Kovalchuk thing gets sorted out. They'll have some cap space if they need to address this at the deadline at least.

Complacency too maybe? Although the roster overturn might help there. Chemistry? Zombies?

helicon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Codependent
Fail for Nail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Colorado... we haven't looked good against them last year + Anderson has a contract year

Vancouver... three times the charm for them?

Never count out the Wings... I do

Sharks haven't improved + they haven't replaced Blake (ok, not the same he once was)

East

Pens, Caps, Flyers
Flyers fans have a thread asking who has the better D, them or Pit In which everyone seems to think that the Flyers have the best D in the league. More over, there are many there claiming the Chi town D is completely overated, that Campbell and Hammer are especially overated and now Chicago has a horrible third pairing D and Philly's is infinitely better. Seriously, check it out.

Codependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I'd just like to point out that somehow our 3rd pairing is awful because we lost Sopel. I'll miss the guy on the PK but other than that, I held my breath every time I saw him on the ice. I feel much more comfortable rotating Boynton/Hendry/Vish than last year. If our bottom pairing happened to be Johnsson and Barker or Johnsson and Sopel... then sure, I see the argument. But honestly, our 3rd pairing is a wash. It's just better that we will most likely have a rotating bottom pairing that will keep them all fresh and on top of their game instead of Q's relentless man-crush for Sopel and Barker, keeping them in the line-up when they should have sat.

Also, Campbell + Hjalmarsson = better than people think, simply because Campbell is 'overpaid and useless' and Hjalmarsson has 'only played a full year in the NHL'. There's a whole lot more to it than just that. Chemistry between Campbell and Hjalmarsson is great... not as good as with Keith and Seabrook, but still, they're both very complimentary pairings.

Last edited by Fugu: 09-02-2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: qdp
Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:23 AM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

Doug Wilson did'nt think Campbell or Hammer was overrated. He brought Campbell in a few years back and tried to pry Hammer away from us.....Last time I checked ole' Dougie had a pretty good eye for talent and a helluva good D-man for the Hawks back in the day.

As pointed out in another post, the Flyers better have a good D cuz their goalies are

Old
08-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Badger36

Vancouver and San Jose and if the Hawks should somehow happen to make it to the SCF (hey, if youre gonna dream, dream big) I dont see them beating Philly, Pittsburgh or Washington.
I wouldnt be worried about Detroit. They ave some great players, but they are older players who wont make it through the season without injuries and even whats left of them by the playoffs wont be performing at 100%.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
Vancouver and San Jose and if the Hawks should somehow happen to make it to the SCF (hey, if youre gonna dream, dream big) I dont see them beating Philly, Pittsburgh or Washington.
I wouldnt be worried about Detroit. They ave some great players, but they are older players who wont make it through the season without injuries and even whats left of them by the playoffs wont be performing at 100%.
It's funny you say that. THN did an article in their recent addition that show the average age on the last 10 stanley cup champions. Chicago was the youngest at 26.8. Every one of them was under 30 except for 2 do you want to guess which 2? 31.6 in 2002 and 31.4 in 2008. There are alot of ways to win the stanley cup Detroit does it with older experienced players.
Mod: deleted.

Last edited by Fugu: 09-02-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: flame
Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:32 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

The problem with the usual facts of Nashville is that the stats do not match the facts. Nashville was more an offensive team than a defensive team. Their PK sucked, the GAA was pedestrian. Pure and simple, the one person who carried the Preds to the playoffs was Barry Trotz. This up coming year should be interesting. Rinne will be playing full time and the defense will be a year older and better. We STILL haven't seen the ceiling with Weber and Suter.

As for threats to the Wings. Threat to what? Winning the division? Nashville and Hawks. Threats to lose games? Nashville and Hawks. I don't see much of a change with the Nucks. I just don't see the love for St. Louis. Threat in the playoffs? All I got to say is this. Nashville HAS to win a first round series one of these days.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
It's funny you say that. THN did an article in their recent addition that show the average age on the last 10 stanley cup champions. Chicago was the youngest at 26.8. Every one of them was under 30 except for 2 do you want to guess which 2? 31.6 in 2002 and 31.4 in 2008. There are alot of ways to win the stanley cup Detroit does it with older experienced players.
Agreed. Detroit is my chief worry, but at the same time they're the team I want the Hawks to play. That would be a hell of a fun series to watch.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
The problem with the usual facts of Nashville is that the stats do not match the facts. Nashville was more an offensive team than a defensive team. Their PK sucked, the GAA was pedestrian. Pure and simple, the one person who carried the Preds to the playoffs was Barry Trotz. This up coming year should be interesting. Rinne will be playing full time and the defense will be a year older and better. We STILL haven't seen the ceiling with Weber and Suter.

As for threats to the Wings. Threat to what? Winning the division? Nashville and Hawks. Threats to lose games? Nashville and Hawks. I don't see much of a change with the Nucks. I just don't see the love for St. Louis. Threat in the playoffs? All I got to say is this. Nashville HAS to win a first round series one of these days.
I really think that I don't want to face Nashville again.
just like Colorado. Hard to play against.

We have seen what we done with the Sharks and what they have done with the Wings. All I would worry is Coach Qs History against the Wings (I don't care about Turco's History because it was another Franchise with another system and so on - Hossa Curse comes to my mind)

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
True, but the lack of young legs in Detroit is going to hold them back because they simply wont be able to keep up with the younger, faster teams in the league.
I think Detroit will be slightly better than they were last year, but they wont be a factor for the Stanley Cup.
As for San Jose, there is no shame in losing last season to the Hawks. Theyre a good team and still have plenty of firepower. Theyve still got Pavelski, who when he gets hot can carry any team.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote