HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's our biggest threat?

Old
08-28-2010, 02:18 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Detroit faced the entire list of plagues and Godly curses in the bible and still made the playoffs. I got the Wings winning the division, after that, who the hell knows, you can make a case for the Hawks, the Preds, the Blues.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Agreed. Detroit is my chief worry, but at the same time they're the team I want the Hawks to play. That would be a hell of a fun series to watch.
I agree that would be really good to watch

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
True, but the lack of young legs in Detroit is going to hold them back because they simply wont be able to keep up with the younger, faster teams in the league.
I think Detroit will be slightly better than they were last year, but they wont be a factor for the Stanley Cup.
As for San Jose, there is no shame in losing last season to the Hawks. Theyre a good team and still have plenty of firepower. Theyve still got Pavelski, who when he gets hot can carry any team.
That's been a knock against Detroit for as long as I can remember and they still pull through it. Yes Detroit has slow players like Holmstrom and Bertuzzi but they're not a slow team. They're not as fast as Chicago but they're definately not slow. IMO Detroit will be a factor in the cup.

As for San Jose yes Pavelski can carry the team on his back. But without a number 1 shutdown defensemen like Blake and a good goaltender they're not going to the cup.

Old
08-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
True, but the lack of young legs in Detroit is going to hold them back because they simply wont be able to keep up with the younger, faster teams in the league.
I think Detroit will be slightly better than they were last year, but they wont be a factor for the Stanley Cup.
As for San Jose, there is no shame in losing last season to the Hawks. Theyre a good team and still have plenty of firepower. Theyve still got Pavelski, who when he gets hot can carry any team.
San Jose just doesn't have the defense to go far in the playoffs. Boyle is very good, Vlasic is solid too... but beyond that, nothing to speak of. One of the weaker D-cores in the league.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkeye View Post
1. Detroit
2. Los Angeles
3. San Jose
4. St Louis
5. Nashville
6. Phoenix
7. Colorado
8. Anaheim
9. Minnesota
10. Dallas
11. Columbus
12. Edmonton
13. Calgary
14. Vancouver
LOL
nice job.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

When I think about San Jose, I think about a Goalie who can get hot if needed. Niitty was good in World Championships and 2006 in torino. I think he has the ability to step up (like Niemi did)

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Hawksfan12*

Wings

Though I think we can beat them and would beat everyone else if our rookies play to their potential + Turco of Old returns (we will be similar scoring wise in the reg. season, PO's...)

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
When I think about San Jose, I think about a Goalie who can get hot if needed. Niitty was good in World Championships and 2006 in torino. I think he has the ability to step up (like Niemi did)
Nittymaki wore down as season went along. If I was Sharks that + his hip would concern me

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Dustin16182

The central will definitely be a battle between the Hawks and Wings. Nashville will take 3rd with the wildcard being St. Louis.

Conference-wise, it will be Vancouver and Detroit. The competition will be good over the course of the regular season. In the playoffs, you guys could probably overtake Vancouver, but it will take a lot more this year to do it compared to last year, and unfortunately for you, the wings beat you in the WCF.

Dustin16182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 04:56 AM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin16182 View Post
The central will definitely be a battle between the Hawks and Wings. Nashville will take 3rd with the wildcard being St. Louis.

Conference-wise, it will be Vancouver and Detroit. The competition will be good over the course of the regular season. In the playoffs, you guys could probably overtake Vancouver, but it will take a lot more this year to do it compared to last year, and unfortunately for you, the wings beat you in the WCF.

You mean the Wings, beat us in the 2009 WCF. The Wings of 2 years ago. The Wings last year folded like a cheap tent to the same team, that we swept away in 4 games. Why is it you guys go keep going on about the Wings as they rocked the house last year...when the playoffs came you were healthy and it took 7 games to beat Phoenix. The Coyotes were a good regular season team based on points from shootout victories, they had 19 points from shootouts.

Then you got put down by the Sharks... alot of Wings posters claim the Sharks to be a weak playoff team. The Hawks are not only younger than the Wings, Sharks and Canucks but their core is extremely playoff tested and their younger guys will reap the rewards.

Once again we are underestimated as always,...gee you'd think a Cup would sway some people's opinions.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:38 AM
InsaneBlackhawksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
It's funny you say that. THN did an article in their recent addition that show the average age on the last 10 stanley cup champions. Chicago was the youngest at 26.8. Every one of them was under 30 except for 2 do you want to guess which 2? 31.6 in 2002 and 31.4 in 2008. There are alot of ways to win the stanley cup Detroit does it with older experienced players.

The fact that you would worried about San Jose a team that has never made the stanley cup finals, lost Blake and Nabakov in the offseason and replaced them with no one and Nittyamaki, and constantly chokes in the playoffs is laughable.
You know what that average age of cup winners being much older means to me? It means the Hawks are going to be DOMINATE when they get a wee bit older. I mean this is the young inexperienced Hawks who did this! Imagine what they are going to do with experience. Hell it took your number 19 over a decade before he won his first Cup, our number 19 did it in 3 years. Thank you for brightening my day and reminding me about how special this young core is

Oh and definitely Wings and Preds as the ones to fear most in the playoffs on the West. Preds always play us tight and are very disciplined, if the Hawks can't win it, then I would not mind seeing the Preds shock the world and winning it all. The Wings are the Wings, always dangerous in the playoffs (would be nice to knock them out of it this year however. A nice cherry on top of this wonderful hockey sundae we have here in Chicago).

In the East the Flyers and I supposes the Pens. The Flyers because when they get Pronger's rules called by the Refs, then they are really hard to beat (look at the first 4 games of the Finals). The Pens, because they won it before recently and know what it takes to win, especially after choking to the Habs (that should have just made them angry).

-And the Canucks I will never fear as long as Vigneault is their coach. When a team is that mentally unprepared, I blame the coach.

InsaneBlackhawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Dustin16182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post
You mean the Wings, beat us in the 2009 WCF. The Wings of 2 years ago. The Wings last year folded like a cheap tent to the same team, that we swept away in 4 games. Why is it you guys go keep going on about the Wings as they rocked the house last year...when the playoffs came you were healthy and it took 7 games to beat Phoenix. The Coyotes were a good regular season team based on points from shootout victories, they had 19 points from shootouts.

Then you got put down by the Sharks... alot of Wings posters claim the Sharks to be a weak playoff team. The Hawks are not only younger than the Wings, Sharks and Canucks but their core is extremely playoff tested and their younger guys will reap the rewards.

Once again we are underestimated as always,...gee you'd think a Cup would sway some people's opinions.
lmao chill out dude, when I said "unfortunately for you the wings beat you in the WCF"...I was making a prediction that both teams make it to the WCF in 2011. I like Chicagos team and I think they'll do well. For a fan of another team to come on your board and say your team is probably 2nd best in the league is not an insult. Nice little cheap shot by the way, if I wanted to I could pull out chicagos history and try to make you guys look like a low rate team, but the fact is both teams are amazing.

Last edited by Fugu: 09-02-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: ...
Old
08-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin16182 View Post
lmao chill out dude, when I said "unfortunately for you the wings beat you in the WCF"...I was making a prediction that both teams make it to the WCF in 2011. I like Chicagos team and I think they'll do well. For a fan of another team to come on your board and say your team is probably 2nd best in the league is not an insult. Nice little cheap shot by the way, if I wanted to I could pull out chicagos history and try to make you guys look like a low rate team, but the fact is both teams are amazing.
If the Hawks/Wings make the 2011 WCF, that fact that you beat us in 09 will have no bearing on the series. We will be the defending Cup champs and you will be looking to dethrone us......it really burns you guys that we won the Cup.

With all the cap threads between the Wings and the Canucks it's quite comical to read really. Like I said the Hawks are constantly counted out...all I heard was Sedin this Thornton that...Pronger this...Hossa curse..and in the end we prevailed. We're already counted out again and the season has'nt started yet.

Old
08-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Mod: deleted.

And to the post from BringBackGLR

I think you are right. The Hawks were counted out often in the past months, and they are already counted out for the next season.

Last edited by Fugu: 09-02-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: qdp
Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
And to the post from BringBackGLR

I think you are right. The Hawks were counted out often in the past months, and they are already counted out for the next season.
Never seen a more counted out Cup Champ

And we have enough cap to add at the deadline

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 07:08 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan12 View Post
Never seen a more counted out Cup Champ

And we have enough cap to add at the deadline
I have several times. If the Blackhawks keep winning it become common place.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 08:19 PM
HartforHoss

1 - Vancouver. Right now the most complete team in the league. Biggest ? is Luongo, and considering how highly regarded he is league wide, that's not a big red flag. They've been regarded as a cup contender and their offseason moves should be a plus. That said, the Hawks have had their # and should be their biggest threat. I wonder if Hank already had a career year, but who's to say his bro can't match it?

2 - Detroit. On paper, this team looks about as good as their last cup effort. The problem I see is diminishing returns from aging players and injury cases. If Jimmy Howard is the real deal it might not matter.

3 - San Jose. Another perennial favorite that I think will miss Nabby and Blake. They look like Washington lite in a tougher conference. None the less, a dangerous team.

HartforHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneBlackhawksFan View Post
You know what that average age of cup winners being much older means to me? It means the Hawks are going to be DOMINATE when they get a wee bit older. I mean this is the young inexperienced Hawks who did this! Imagine what they are going to do with experience. Hell it took your number 19 over a decade before he won his first Cup, our number 19 did it in 3 years. Thank you for brightening my day and reminding me about how special this young core is

Oh and definitely Wings and Preds as the ones to fear most in the playoffs on the West. Preds always play us tight and are very disciplined, if the Hawks can't win it, then I would not mind seeing the Preds shock the world and winning it all. The Wings are the Wings, always dangerous in the playoffs (would be nice to knock them out of it this year however. A nice cherry on top of this wonderful hockey sundae we have here in Chicago).

In the East the Flyers and I supposes the Pens. The Flyers because when they get Pronger's rules called by the Refs, then they are really hard to beat (look at the first 4 games of the Finals). The Pens, because they won it before recently and know what it takes to win, especially after choking to the Habs (that should have just made them angry).

-And the Canucks I will never fear as long as Vigneault is their coach. When a team is that mentally unprepared, I blame the coach.
Mod: deleted. Although I like Toews trying to compare him to Yzerman this early in his career is foolish. But hey since you brought it up let's compare their first 3 seasons in the league.

Toews

2009-10 Chicago NHL 76 25 43 68
2008-09 Chicago NHL 82 34 35 69
2007-08 Chicago NHL 64 24 30 54

Yzerman

1985-86 Detroit NHL 51 14 28 42
1984-85 Detroit NHL 80 30 59 89
1983-84 Detroit NHL 80 39 48 87

Last edited by Fugu: 09-02-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: tone it down when you visit a rival board please
Old
08-30-2010, 04:46 AM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

Quote:

Although I like Toews trying to compare him to Yzerman this early in his career is foolish. But hey since you brought it up let's compare their first 3 seasons in the league.

Toews

2009-10 Chicago NHL 76 25 43 68
2008-09 Chicago NHL 82 34 35 69
2007-08 Chicago NHL 64 24 30 54

Yzerman

1985-86 Detroit NHL 51 14 28 42
1984-85 Detroit NHL 80 30 59 89
1983-84 Detroit NHL 80 39 48 87

Toews is already doing what took Yzerman 10+ years to figure out.....how to be a strong two way player, lead and leave it all out on the ice. The Wings thought enough of Yzerman to make him captain at an extremely young age, much like the Hawks did with Toews, but he was more geared towards offense in the beginning and not worried about so much about the other end of the ice.

Hey it's not just me thinking that, read Yzerman's bio, Bowman and Yzerman clashed many times, and Yzerman had been on the trading block cuz it did'nt seem like the Wings were gonna get it done with him. Bowman got Yzerman to backcheck more and encouraged the whole team to play better defense. Yzerman's point totals went down but his trophy case got huge. Here on HF it's all about point totals as always, but Toews is the 1995-2002 version of Yzerman, not the mid-late 80's one.

Old
08-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Dustin16182

Quote:
Toews is already doing what took Yzerman 10+ years to figure out.....how to be a strong two way player, lead and leave it all out on the ice. The Wings thought enough of Yzerman to make him captain at an extremely young age, much like the Hawks did with Toews, but he was more geared towards offense in the beginning and not worried about so much about the other end of the ice.

Hey it's not just me thinking that, read Yzerman's bio, Bowman and Yzerman clashed many times, and Yzerman had been on the trading block cuz it did'nt seem like the Wings were gonna get it done with him. Bowman got Yzerman to backcheck more and encouraged the whole team to play better defense. Yzerman's point totals went down but his trophy case got huge. Here on HF it's all about point totals as always, but Toews is the 1995-2002 version of Yzerman, not the mid-late 80's one.
lol are you also one of the people that tries to compare Wayne G to Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin? Toews is by no means as good as Yzerman was at this point... I'm not trying to say he can't be as good or better eventually (please read that carefully Bring Back GLR, I already know youre gonna misinterpret this post badly). He's a good young captain, but sorry, not a Stevie Y yet.

Old
08-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Go Wings

Quote:

Toews may be better then Yzerman initially defensive but he is no where near the level of Yzerman offensively. I dont see 60 goal 155 point seasons in Toews future. One of my Wings fan colleague is correct no one played defensive hockey in the 80's. And no Toews is not the version of the 1995-2002 Yzerman. Even though Toews won the conn smythe there was some serious debate whether he should have. Frankly he didnt play that well during the finals and he only had 3 assists. He was great during the rest of the playoffs but wasnt in the finals. The trophy should have gone to Duncan Keith.

Old
08-30-2010, 02:33 PM
MrSerious

Maybe if people played defense back then Yzerman's numbers wouldn't have been as good?

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.

MrSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

Quote:
Toews may be better then Yzerman initially defensive but he is no where near the level of Yzerman offensively. I dont see 60 goal 155 point seasons in Toews future. One of my Wings fan colleague is correct no one played defensive hockey in the 80's. And no Toews is not the version of the 1995-2002 Yzerman. Even though Toews won the conn smythe there was some serious debate whether he should have. Frankly he didnt play that well during the finals and he only had 3 assists. He was great during the rest of the playoffs but wasnt in the finals. The trophy should have gone to Duncan Keith.

Ok, fellas you love your stats, heres' more stats. When Yzerman won the Conn Smythe in 98, he had 24 points in 22 games. Even in 97, when they won he had 13 points in 20 games and 23 points in 23 games in 2002. Still great numbers, cuz by then he was 37 years old.....Zetterberg won the Conn Smythe with 27 points in 22 games as well.

Toews trumps them all as he had 29 points in 22 games. I know stats are huge for you guys so there it is.

Regarding the 80's I know nobody played tight D, or relied on defensive schemes and most of the goalies were below average in their techniques or skill. Hell the Oilers hit the 400 goal plateau on a yearly basis. We rarely see teams crack 300 as is these days.

Bowman turned Yzerman into a great two player and challenged him to play both ends of the rink. Do I have to start citing passages or quotes here or did you guys read the book.

I never said Toews was better offensively, I don't know why you keep bringing that up. All I said was right from the get go Toews decided his game was to play a strong 2 way game and do all the little things right. Probably cuz he knew at a fairly young age that he was'nt as offensively skilled as guys like a young Yzerman, Sakic, Jagr etc.. but he knew he could do so much more...hes a winner straight up, as he can play in any situation at any time.

Old
08-30-2010, 03:25 PM
CC Chiefs*

I'm going to say this as eloquently as possible. To compare Toews to Yzerman ludicrous! You need to come back in about 18 more years and then maybe it can be discussed. Mod: deleted.

Last edited by Fugu: 09-02-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: grrrrr...
CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Steve Larmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gibson Cup View Post
I'm going to say this as eloquently as possible. To compare Toews to Yzerman ludicrous! You need to come back in about 18 more years and then maybe it can be discussed.
check your pm's if you're still interested in betting

Steve Larmer is offline   Reply With Quote