HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Markstrom : "I want to be a Panther"

Old
08-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Balls Mahoney
Fair and Balanced

vCash: 500
So to ask an obvious stupid question...

Markstrom will be in North America this year? I kept thinking that he would be in Europe this year for some reason. I'm stoked to see him this year.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:40 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Worst case scenario. Clemmensen goes down. Markstrom is called up. Vokoun goes on hot streak. Marsktrom sits as Panthers back on the bench for 10-20 games

Worst case scenario on Markstrom's part

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 05:04 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Yeah, but then there's value in Markstrom seeing a truly elite goaltender on top of his game. I'm a huge fan of the idea of Salak being mentored by Vokoun, but Markstrom's different style might make his potential for improvement even greater.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
Yeah, but then there's value in Markstrom seeing a truly elite goaltender on top of his game. I'm a huge fan of the idea of Salak being mentored by Vokoun, but Markstrom's different style might make his potential for improvement even greater.
As much as I like the idea of a Markstrom/Salak tandem down the road, I think we can kiss the idea of Salak as a Panther goodbye. To my knowledge, once guys go back o Europe at this stage in their development, they're not likely to head on back to play in North America.

I'd put money on Salak being strictly a European goalie for the remainder of his career.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 09:39 AM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Worst case scenario. Clemmensen goes down. Markstrom is called up. Vokoun goes on hot streak. Marsktrom sits as Panthers back on the bench for 10-20 games

Worst case scenario on Markstrom's part
In your scenario, even if Vokoun gets pretty hot, I don't expect this team to be in the mix. Therefore Markstrom should get a decent number of starts if he's the backup.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:54 AM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
As much as I like the idea of a Markstrom/Salak tandem down the road, I think we can kiss the idea of Salak as a Panther goodbye. To my knowledge, once guys go back o Europe at this stage in their development, they're not likely to head on back to play in North America.

I'd put money on Salak being strictly a European goalie for the remainder of his career.
I know... that why I wouldn't be too upset about a "worst-case" scenario of Markstrom riding the pine behind a hot Vokoun. He'd likely only get better from it, and DeBoer would probably give Markstrom starts more readily than he gave Anderson.

Old
08-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

I like what I'm hearing outa this kid. Here's to a better future!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
holy crap did I just feel some "proudness" to be a Panther fan? wow excuse me guys, carry on....

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 07:48 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
holy crap did I just feel some "proudness" to be a Panther fan? wow excuse me guys, carry on....
feels good doesnt it?

FinlandPanther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Kulikov Is King
LETS GO PANTHERS!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
feels good doesnt it?
yes... yes it does

Kulikov Is King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:34 AM
UKPanther
@GJenSports

Any player who actually wants to win is more than welcome as far as I'm concerned.

UKPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 07:34 AM
HellasLEAF
Bring back Killer

just wondering guys, how long until Markstrom features with your team. any chance of that happening this season??

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 07:48 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
just wondering guys, how long until Markstrom features with your team. any chance of that happening this season??
He will play some pre-season games and a couple games as a call-up this year but won't be full time till' next year. If Vokoun gets traded at the deadline we may see more of him.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 07:55 AM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPanther View Post
Any player who actually wants to win is more than welcome as far as I'm concerned.
Which explains why Vokoun can pretty much already feel the boot in his ass.

Old
09-15-2010, 03:30 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 50
Here's a translated article from a local newspaper, hopefully this is the right thread for it. I read in another thread that Markström won't play against the Preds, so the story doesn't appear to be totally up-to-date.

http://gd.se/sport/1.2330944-markstr...m-nhl-kontrakt

Quote:
Markström has started competing for an NHL contract

Florida Panthers rookie camp has started and today it's time for his first game.

This weekend was the first time he played [competitively] on North American ice - and as soon as today he'll play his first game.
Florida Panthers rookie camp has begun and the Sports section talks to Jacob Markström about starting playing ”over there”, meeting Tomas Vokoun and living next door to alligators.

The Swedish Elite League, WJC, WC and a contract with Florida Panthers. Markströms latest year has been packed with all sorts of things. And everything has been a hit.

Now this goalie talent has started on the next big challenge in his career - playing in the NHL.

This sunday was the first time he played professionally. Florida's rookie camp begun in the city Coral Springs and Markström is the biggest star among the players fighting for an NHL contract and where competition is grueling.

– Many players just have a one-year contract and others have a tryout-contract. Everyone wants to be the best they can be and no one is willing to back off. That's why it's a high quality camp with a really fast pace, Markström comments. He's also had the opportunity to spend some leisure time in North America.

Among the things he's done then includes fishing – among alligators.

– It's otherworldy. The goalie coach (Robb Tallas) has a bay close to where he lives. I asked if I could fish there. He said: ”Yes, but you have to pay attention, because there's alligators in these waters”. It's certainly not what I'm used to.

It was the earlier mentioned Tallas who met Markström at the airport when he landed, close to a month ago. He's also been staying at his house during his first time as a professional NHL player.

Before the start of the camp he took an early start to his training together with Tallas.

The star player Tomas Vokoun was also there. The goaltender who earlier this year got a WC gold with the Czech Republic and who's played over 500 games in the NHL.

– Me and Vokoun were the ones who were on the ice before the camp. I enjoyed it and we talked about all sorts of things. Not so much about hockey, but a lot about the social aspects.

• You'll either play with Rochester in the AHL or with the Panthers in the NHL. Has Florida management given you any clues about your future?

– I've talked with a lot of people in the organization, but not about where I'll play. I'll just [wait and] see what happens. We've talked about other things, Markström comments, and he hasn't yet had time to get a phone or a U.S. driving license.

Instead he's been busy with trying to get his NHL contract. Today he'll play his first game - against Anders Lindbäck and Nashville.

The childhood friends who went to daycare together made the Brynäs senior squad at the same time. They made their WC debuts at the same event - and now they'll face each other.

Howe Elbows 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 07:16 AM
FlaPa

Great stuff, thanks. Hopefully he can play a couple of games up.

Last edited by FlaPa: 09-15-2010 at 07:22 AM.
FlaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 08:03 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Competitive Violence View Post
Here's a translated article from a local newspaper, hopefully this is the right thread for it. I read in another thread that Markström won't play against the Preds, so the story doesn't appear to be totally up-to-date.

http://gd.se/sport/1.2330944-markstr...m-nhl-kontrakt
Much appreciated, thank you!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote