HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Part XI: Phx Coyotes - Greetings, Starfighter, You have been selected...

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Tinalera

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2k2 View Post
Possibly because they are NHL officials and Jones is, as of this moment, just a guy.

Shelled you off the mound ... again.
With respect, GSC, so if I was going to buy a dvision of Microsoft from Bill Gates and was going through the process, and maybe I've stalled a bit in talks, or hey, maybe its about to fall through. You think Mr. Gates would KINDLY upon me making jokes about the process and the division involved, and what the hey, I'll also crack wise on my views on another possible deal Bill is working on that has nothing to do with me (The kovy deal). And I'll tweet this to a plethora of followers on twitter. So I'm a "guy" and I can get away with it?

You think Mr. Gates would think that professional and "part of business"? I admit I don't know alot about business, very little, but there's a base of professionalism that has to be observed when communicating with the "outside world" IMO.

Old
08-27-2010, 10:25 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
GSC... Might I offer the observation that your position the Coyotes' ownership situation is not exactly inscrutable?
You might. Evidently I had no way of stopping you. No one has ever accused me of a lack of clarity on my positions.

Quote:
There is a difference between being humorous and being ridiculous. Let's just say that not everyone has been "laughing with" IEH. Jones' twitter escapades reinforced commonly-shared views about the IEH group as an ownership possibility.
I would say again that those who are not laughing with Jones' joke tweets are simply looking for things to ***** about. We both know there is that crowd out there. Mod: deleted.

Quote:
Actually, I am currently in a country that does not permit access to Twitter, so I have been denied the privilege of following iceedgedj's recent activity. I am constrained to what others have posted. That "Gongdale" Twitter post by Jones is humorous, I must say. Thanks for posting it here. Is that the sort of humor that you find works well in serious business negotiations?
Now see, THAT twitter is one to point to in your position. That is inappropriate - mocking your negotiation partner in public. I feel silly even having to explain this. Again - do you think we all sit grimfaced around tables negotiating business transactions?

I agree with you that the most likely source of Burnside's material is IEH, and that this is not positive.

Quote:
As for "helping my case", a fair assessment of my posts would not conclude that I have relied much on trying to read into the underlying meaning of IEH's tweets. However, in retrospect my very early suggestion that perhaps those tweets suggested that IEH was not all that serious was prescient.
Prescient? I have long suspected where this little story is going if IEH does not conclude its transaction. There will be a series of "I was right" proclamations form a series of people who had no actual basis for determining whethere the transaction would close, who don't know why the transaction ultimately did not close, yet who will claim to have known all along. I hope you will not be in that number.

Last edited by Fugu: 08-27-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: ...
Old
08-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
I don't know when they were first announced, but in December 2009 Glendale announced that transfer of ownership from the NHL to IEH was "imminent".

Awesome. I shall tell my landlord that my next rent payment is "imminent" He'll wait a year from my next rent payment right?

This is too much, seriously.....

EDIT: GSC-no need to explain, you answered my query, no need to say it again

Old
08-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Y

Now see, THAT twitter is one to point to in your position. That is inappropriate - mocking your negotiation partner in public. I feel silly even having to explain this. Again - do you think we all sit grimfaced around tables negotiating business transactions?

We, GC? You're in the room?

Old
08-27-2010, 10:32 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
There will be a series of "I was right" proclamations form a series of people who had no actual basis for determining whethere the transaction would close, who don't know why the transaction ultimately did not close, yet who will claim to have known all along. I hope you will not be in that number.

OOooohhh me me!! That's me. Put me down for one of those!

Old
08-27-2010, 10:33 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
but how Iron clad is the Dec 31 cutoff date?
The NHL has to make a stand at some point and have selected that date.

I assume there'll start to be a few public statements on 1/1/11 of groups individuals who announce that they have submitted an offer to purchase and relocate the franchise if there isn't a deal.

Now perhaps if there's a "deal in principle" by 12/31, the NHL might give the parties one month to complete the paperwork (with finalizing the sale before the end of the season).

The COG could resolve this tomorrow. The problem is that they do not want to run afoul of GI by providing subsidiaries to a private sports franchise, but they don't want a $180mm dinosaur on their hands either which the tax payers will end up paying the bill for if the team walks.

And if they do provide "subsidiaries", if less than the loss they'd experience by not having the team, the state may rule in their favor (against the GI).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
The effort to market is there, there just isn't anyone buying. Its pretty bad in Glendale... my old man used to say... 'You can't pollish a turd'.
Discovery Channel's Mythbusters proved you can.

Old
08-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post

Awesome. I shall tell my landlord that my next rent payment is "imminent" He'll wait a year from my next rent payment right?

This is too much, seriously.....
Perhaps we have to figure out if relativity is involved. Are we sure they're on earth, and not traveling nearly the speed of light? Or perhaps they're on an event horizon.

One source whose humor I'd like to be privy to at the moment would be ol' J. Baum. I think he could come up with some good material.

Old
08-27-2010, 10:39 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
You defending IEH is almost as humorous as the Saskin defense.
Saskin is a Wookiee ...

Damn it! ... He's using the Saskin defense.

Old
08-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Love it when the circus comes to town...

Old
08-27-2010, 10:42 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Discovery Channel's Mythbusters proved you can.

I just youtubed that episode. I will change the phrase to 'Sure you can pollish a turd, but in the end, is it really worth it?'

Old
08-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Whileee

Quote:
You might. Evidently I had no way of stopping you. No one has ever accused me of a lack of clarity on my positions.

I would say again that those who are not laughing with Jones' joke tweets are simply looking for things to ***** about. We both know there is that crowd out there. Mod: deleted.

I agree with you that the most likely source of Burnside's material is IEH, and that this is not positive.

Prescient? I have long suspected where this little story is going if IEH does not conclude its transaction. There will be a series of "I was right" proclamations form a series of people who had no actual basis for determining whethere the transaction would close, who don't know why the transaction ultimately did not close, yet who will claim to have known all along. I hope you will not be in that number.
GSC... I think a little humor is required imminently.

You missed my point. I hadn't been able to follow iceedgedj as closely as you have been. I hadn't seen the Gongdale tweet before you posted it. Otherwise I am confident that I would not have needed your impatient explanation to me about the subtle meanings.

I think you are a bit uncharitable those of us who have tried to point out why we thought IEH's bid was in trouble. For my part, I focused on the clear avoidance of public endorsement from the NHL and then the fact that the Coyotes' newly appointed COO went out of his way to point past the IEH bid. I also pointed to the fact that despite months of negotiations, the MOU that they presented to Glendale required Glendale to guarantee the bank loan, even though Glendale had been telling IEH that was not possible. At the time, there was plenty of fire directed at these arguments. From now on I'll try to focus on issues going forward.

Old
08-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Hopefully you won't have to wait 8+ months.

Quote:
You missed my point. I hadn't been able to follow iceedgedj as closely as you have been. I hadn't seen the Gongdale tweet before you posted it. Otherwise I am confident that I would not have needed your impatient explanation to me about the subtle meanings.

I think you are a bit uncharitable those of us who have tried to point out why we thought IEH's bid was in trouble. For my part, I focused on the clear avoidance of public endorsement from the NHL and then the fact that the Coyotes' newly appointed COO went out of his way to point past the IEH bid. I also pointed to the fact that despite months of negotiations, the MOU that they presented to Glendale required Glendale to guarantee the bank loan, even though Glendale had been telling IEH that was not possible. At the time, there was plenty of fire directed at these arguments. From now on I'll try to focus on issues going forward.
You also overlooked IEH being overlooked when COG selected Reinsdorf, only to watch that fall apart. That was only about 4-5 months ago.

Old
08-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Hopefully you won't have to wait 8+ months.

You also overlooked IEH being overlooked when COG selected Reinsdorf, only to watch that fall apart. That was only about 4-5 months ago.
Yes, the initial summary rejection of their MOU by Glendale city council in May, 4-5 months after they had been announced by the City of Glendale as the "imminent" owner of the Coyotes was a clue that they might have some issues.

Old
08-27-2010, 10:58 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
@GC.

You defending IEH is almost as humorous as the Saskin defense.
Defending IEH? Is THAT what you think I am doing?

Sorry. Wrong. I suggest you give up on ascribing intent/agenda/motive to any of my posts. You don't get it right.

Old
08-27-2010, 10:59 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:

You had me at "imminently".

Old
08-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Whileee

Quote:
You had me at "imminently".
Now I am feeling strangely uncomfortable...

But I have the urge to call up IEH and see if we could invest in their Thunder Bay enterprise. I am thinking that maybe we can be part of an "owner/player" group. I could be a third-line grinder who stirs things up, and you could be the goaltender who stifles the other teams' offence. We'll let the players vote on the team captains, but only after we remind them who signs their pay cheques.

Anybody else in?

Old
08-27-2010, 11:09 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
OOooohhh me me!! That's me. Put me down for one of those!
no way man...i'm first...ive been learning to dance the red river jig and translating 'i was right' into several different languages for that very occassion....i have about 300 people to send it to.

i find it hard to believe that anyone can defend DJ's ichy twitter finger as anything but unprofessional.....he is trying to negotiate a business transaction worth nearly $200m....there is a place for frat boy humour and there is a place to shut up and act like an adult.

this might be a time for the latter. (see chipman/thomson)

again, he is using twitter as a defacto method of issuing press releases....if that were not the case then his personal jokes might be more appropriate....he is clearly very aware that his words are being followed by people (including media) who are interested in the negotiations he is part of and therefore his actions are unprofessional.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 08-27-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old
08-27-2010, 11:16 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Really? What makes you think he is the guy involved in the negotiations?
seriously?...you think he's hanging out on the dock at his cottage waiting for the results of the negotiations on his $200m transaction?...he might not be the guy taking the notes, but as one of only 4 people in this 'company' i'm pretty sure he's involed in the negotiations.

Old
08-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post

Nope. And "ominous" is dead bang-on Whilee.
Here's something else that is a bit negative from the Burnside article. He states that IEH is "the only viable contender to buy the team regardless of rumors to the contrary".

Did he make that up, or did he get that from a recent conversation with a source? It would seem to be the latter. If so, whether the source is IEH or the NHL, this is not good.

Old
08-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:

Here's something else that is a bit negative from the Burnside article. He states that IEH is "the only viable contender to buy the team regardless of rumors to the contrary".Did he make that up, or did he get that from a recent conversation with a source? It would seem to be the latter. If so, whether the source is IEH or the NHL, this is not good.
According to his "source". DJ of IEH. Their is no way the NHL would suggest that as its patently false.

Old
08-27-2010, 11:36 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

^ if that statement is true....and he goes out of his way to stress the point, it is by far the most important piece of information in the article.

Old
08-27-2010, 11:40 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Actually, I am currently in a country that does not permit access to Twitter,
...China? Russia?

Old
08-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
According to his "source". DJ of IEH. Their is no way the NHL would suggest that as its patently false.
I agree that DJ of IEH is the likely source. It fits his MO: leak the information to the reporter, and then praise and retweet the contents. Ask jimgintonio how well that works out for the reporter's credibility.

By the way, what is the evidence that there are other viable ownership groups, other than vague statements from the Coyotes staff?

Old
08-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
...China? Russia?
The first country... also, might I ask that in case IEH decides to purchase a team in "T (insert i here) bet", please do not open a thread on HFBoards lest I lose access?

Old
08-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
^ if that statement is true....and he goes out of his way to stress the point, it is by far the most important piece of information in the article.
Its' an inflammatory & incorrect statement designed to cover the fact that Kap'n Keyboard went back to Glendale asking for guarantees' against the CFD after being told "no" about a dozen times previously. The article by Burnside is negative to the extreme. The source sounding like an insolent schoolboy who got caught out & trys to deflect his errors' through the castigation of innuendo, half truths & lies.

Closed Thread