HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks interested in Marc Staal

Old
08-28-2010, 01:57 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Who would the Sharks replace Heatley with. Lets be real, he puts up ~40 goals a year and scores dirty goals. Sure the salary space would be nice, but who physically could replace him that wouldn't make the Sharks worse?
I think its more about trading offense for defense in this case, which makes the Sharks more balanced, and thereby 'better'. Plus it makes us less top-heavy and allows us to be a little more flexible.

I don't mind Heatley, but I also wouldn't mind him being gone either.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:58 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Who would the Sharks replace Heatley with. Lets be real, he puts up ~40 goals a year and scores dirty goals. Sure the salary space would be nice, but who physically could replace him that wouldn't make the Sharks worse?
Setoguchi would be a slight downgrade, but would save us 5.7 in cap space. While they don't play a similar style, they're both goal scorers. McGinn would replace Setoguchi and that would save us .8 in cap space. Then, we'd have saved 6.5 in cap space, albeit getting a little worse at forward.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:01 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah this is what cracks me up. The Western Conference is a tight checking, gridlock game. Big bodies, strong defense, minimal space and time.

The whole flippin point of acquiring Heatley was to score goals and open up the game for the Sharks forwards. And what does the guy do? Scores 39 in his first year on a new team, new conference, against teams he rarely faced.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
Setoguchi would be a slight downgrade, but would save us 5.7 in cap space. While they don't play a similar style, they're both goal scorers. McGinn would replace Setoguchi and that would save us .8 in cap space. Then, we'd have saved 6.5 in cap space, albeit getting a little worse at forward.
I would say it would be more than a little worse. McGinn could be good, but nothing he has done so far has indicated to me that he's ready for top 6 time.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I think its more about trading offense for defense in this case, which makes the Sharks more balanced, and thereby 'better'. Plus it makes us less top-heavy and allows us to be a little more flexible.

I don't mind Heatley, but I also wouldn't mind him being gone either.
It would make us less top heavy but the Sharks would really miss his offense.

Old
08-28-2010, 02:18 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Lets face it, Heatley has a bad contract. if we can get rid of that AND bring in Staal - we would win BIG.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:19 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Lets face it, Heatley has a bad contract. if we can get rid of that AND bring in Staal - we would win BIG.
Agree 100%. IMO the awfulness of Heater's contract gets a little underrated by Sharks fans.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:24 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
We'll have to see how Sather handles it. There are several options to get under the cap but putting guys like Avery and Redden who were given NTCs, down in the minors, will not help a GM sign future free agents and the move has seldom been made for good reason. Players in theory get NYC's and take discounts (or take a risk and sign with a team they otherwise wouldn't) to control their destiny. Redden isn't what he once was, but he is not a bottom pair either. If Sather takes that approach, he's going to find it hard to get vets for the bottom pairs and bottom 6 to fill out the dance card in the future. That's why there is a buyout clause in the CBA.

Doug Wilson has been in the same boat. He moved McLaren to the minors, but he was in the last year of a contract and was passed by on the depth chart and didn't have a NTC. He just had an slightly outsized contract and wasn't good enough for the top 6. But Wilson was fair to the player and gave him plenty of time to try and find a team. Ehrhoff was a salary dump that many around here still hate. But he wasn't on a NTC and it was a choice between he or Vlasic who to sign. So we took sticks and pucks for a player who had a break out year with Vancouver. It was fair for the player.

But burying a serviceable defenseman in the minors for the remainder of his contract isn't going to go over well with the player or perhaps the Players Association who will work on changing that loophole in the next CBA. Think about it from your position. You are a CEO of a public company managing 2,000 people and moved your family to another city to make the company better. You are given promises but then the board tells you they have good news and bad news. The good news is you get to make the same amount of money. The bad news is its going to be managing a McDonalds in another city and your family will have to relocate if they want to be near that McDonald's.

I think Sather is going to have to make a trade and like Chicago who had some tough choices to make with their players this year, the NYR are in the same boat with Staal ready for a contract but the team at the cap. Sather is playing with fire dangling the player out there and not locking him up. If there is a trade, there are only a few players on the roster without NTC's that can clear enough cap space to sign Staal, and Girardi is one of them. That trade is better made to the opposite conference with a team that has some cap room. So its not out of the question that move could be made. Agree its a long shot though. Too many other options to play out.

The Rangers are NOT up against the cap. They aren't even in the same hemisphere as Chicago. You're looking at the roster through the eyes of wishful thinking.

1st, I don't know when you last saw Redden play, but based on last season, he IS a bottom pairing defenseman (at best). He was, night in and night out, our worst defenseman. If he doesn't show a VAST improvement in camp, Sather will bury him and not think twice about it (he's done it before with Kasparaitus, who was more of a good soldier and leader than Redden ever was). It WILL send a message to potential FA. That message is that if you sign here for big dollars and then proceed to mail it in every game, be ready to ride a bus in the minors.

2nd, even IF Redden shows up for camp as a rejuvenated defender, the Rangers only need to clear 4-5 million. Like I said before, that can be easily done. White and Avery alone make up that much. White is a relative newcomer, and Avery had a piss poor season last year (plus Torts doesn't like him).

Sather would do either of those things before trading Girardi or Staal for peanuts. Staal and Girardi are vital. White, Avery, Redden are not. That's what counts at the end of the day.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:31 PM
smoneil

Quote:
I had a dream last night that we offer sheeted him.

According to the Rangers fans, this is what the trade would have to look like

Rangers trade:
Staal
gilroy
something

Sharks
Thornton
Vlasic
1st

And the other Rangers fans thought it was fair, and one of them said the addition would have to be Drury.

Did this happen in your dream as well? ONE Rangers fan (who I've never seen before) posted that proposal. NO other Rangers fans agreed with it. One Rangers fan disagreed with you that Thornton/Vlasic/1st would get you Ovechkin, Crosby type talent.

I don't know what kind of joy you get by riling up your fellow fans, but what you posted here is not even close to what happened in the actual thread.

Edited to add the the poster who DID post that trade, also suggested this on the Rangers board:
"not sure why no1 has brought up this option yet but maybe something like staal, gilroy, dubinsky and a 5th for bobby ryan, vlasic and a pavelski..idk"

So the proposal clearly wasn't forwarded by a rocket scientist.

Last edited by smoneil: 08-28-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old
08-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
How so? There would a major downgrade in offense.

Marleau Thornton Heatley
Clowe Pavelski Setoguchi

looks a lot better than:

Marleau Thornton Setoguchi
Clowe Pavelski McGinn/Couture.

The Sharks would improve their D, but their offense would become slightly above average.

Old
08-28-2010, 02:45 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
The Rangers are NOT up against the cap. They aren't even in the same hemisphere as Chicago. You're looking at the roster through the eyes of wishful thinking.

1st, I don't know when you last saw Redden play, but based on last season, he IS a bottom pairing defenseman (at best). He was, night in and night out, our worst defenseman. If he doesn't show a VAST improvement in camp, Sather will bury him and not think twice about it (he's done it before with Kasparaitus, who was more of a good soldier and leader than Redden ever was). It WILL send a message to potential FA. That message is that if you sign here for big dollars and then proceed to mail it in every game, be ready to ride a bus in the minors.

2nd, even IF Redden shows up for camp as a rejuvenated defender, the Rangers only need to clear 4-5 million. Like I said before, that can be easily done. White and Avery alone make up that much. White is a relative newcomer, and Avery had a piss poor season last year (plus Torts doesn't like him).

Sather would do either of those things before trading Girardi or Staal for peanuts. Staal and Girardi are vital. White, Avery, Redden are not. That's what counts at the end of the day.
Appreciate your POV. I understand why the team wont give up Girardi or Staal easily and why they want to move Redden with a $6.5M contract for 4 more seasons. It was a bad contract when extended. But I will be more than a little surprised if Redden goes to the minors for the next 4 years.

I have not watched Redden closely this past season and he has regressed by most measures , but by almost all measures he still is in your top 4 defenseman and not a bottom pair. So I really can't see this as a player who has played himself off the roster. But I do understand your perspective. Its an easy and quick solution to the cap issues.

08-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan1515 View Post
In this year's UFA defensemen market he'd probably garner similar to a Z Michalek or even a Hamhuis. He's probably fair value at 4 mil so you'd probably get him at 4.25 or 4.5, IMo
Those are the numbers we're expecting. You know, this is practically the only time GM's have some leverage in player-negotiations, but exceptional talent will always have the upper hand.

Paul Krepelka (Orr Hockey Group) represents Marc, Jordan, and of course, Eric.. He got Jordan and Eric exceptional contracts, and will do the same with Marc. That agency represents guys like spezza, carter, kaberle, horton, and so on. They know what they're doing.

If Marc was somehow an UFA, he would certainly garner a bulkier contract that both Hamhuis and Michalek. He's going to get a comparable contract to them now as a RFA.

Quote:
We'll have to see how Sather handles it. There are several options to get under the cap but putting guys like Avery and Redden who were given NTCs, down in the minors, will not help a GM sign future free agents and the move has seldom been made for good reason. Players in theory get NYC's and take discounts (or take a risk and sign with a team they otherwise wouldn't) to control their destiny. Redden isn't what he once was, but he is not a bottom pair either. If Sather takes that approach, he's going to find it hard to get vets for the bottom pairs and bottom 6 to fill out the dance card in the future. That's why there is a buyout clause in the CBA.
Both Avery and Redden have limited ntc's. Last dead-line Sather moved Kotalik to Calgary who happened to be on Ales's list of teams. Things got interesting but Ales accepted the trade.

Nobody in the league would care if Avery was demoted to Hartford. His reputation and value are at an all-time low.

The players union may whine if Redden's sent to Hartford, but Wade should be thrilled this isn't the NFL. He's still going to collect his money (23M owed over the next 4 years). If Wade doesn't want to go to Hartford he could refuse assignment there, have his contract voided, and ultimately become an UFA.

And Wade is a bottom pairing dmen. On a team that isn't really stacked with exceptional defenders. He's been given more than a fair opportunity and hasn't done anything productive. He's not terrible defensively; A little mediocre, incredibly soft, but he's serviceable. Problem is his point production. Defensive-dmen don't get 6.5M per year.

Wade had a 50-point season in 05-06 (In 65 games)! He followed that up with 36P (64GP) and 38P (80GP).

Wade had 13 points last season. The year before (under tom renney) he put up 26 points. All of our dmen improved statistically, yet Wade regressed into mickey-mouse form. A 19 year rookie proved to be a more capable PP QB than Wade. Even defensive dmen like Girardi were more valuable there.

In the real world if you fail to meet expectations, (by a mile) then you deserve what's coming to you.

Quote:
But burying a serviceable defenseman in the minors for the remainder of his contract isn't going to go over well with the player or perhaps the Players Association who will work on changing that loophole in the next CBA. Think about it from your position. You are a CEO of a public company managing 2,000 people and moved your family to another city to make the company better. You are given promises but then the board tells you they have good news and bad news. The good news is you get to make the same amount of money. The bad news is its going to be managing a McDonalds in another city and your family will have to relocate if they want to be near that McDonald's.
Happened with Kaspar. And Holik. It hasn't affected us yet. Still managed to sign Frolov for 3M, sign a kid from norway who had multiple offers to play elsewhere. Gilroy chose NY last year, and he too had numerous offers on the table.

Quote:
I think Sather is going to have to make a trade and like Chicago who had some tough choices to make with their players this year, the NYR are in the same boat with Staal ready for a contract but the team at the cap. Sather is playing with fire dangling the player out there and not locking him up. If there is a trade, there are only a few players on the roster without NTC's that can clear enough cap space to sign Staal, and Girardi is one of them. That trade is better made to the opposite conference with a team that has some cap room. So its not out of the question that move could be made. Agree its a long shot though. Too many other options to play out.
Sather won't have to do anything. Redden will be sent to Hartford at the start of camp. We can match up to around 6M for Marc without going over the summer cap. Marc's not going anywhere, and neither is any player destined to start on this team. We've looked at the cap from 100's of different angles, and ultimately have room to ice a team with the guys we want starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbbyfan20 View Post
Thornton and Vlasic

I dont' know much about Stall, but I know he is very good defensively, nor do I know about gilroy. But Thornton and Vlasic? Their Potential is that good?
That's a retarded proposal. Thornton and Vlasic have a hell of a lot more value than just Marc.

Marc's an Ace defensively. Not to repeat myself, but he's the only blue-liner we have that can consistently defend guys like AO, Crosby, Kovalchuk, and the rest of the league's superstars. Kid holds his ground.

Up until last season he didn't do much offensively. Top-pairing dmen don't excel in just one area of the game; that role usually demands more. Marc put up 27 points last season, all ES. He won't ever be a big point producer, but he can move the puck. Our coaching staff keeps our dmen involved in the play. Marc's 23 years old, and definitely has the tools to expand the rest of his game. Even if he's reached his offensive ceiling, a defensive dmen who can put up around 30P a season at ES is certainly top-pairing material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
What about a deal that involves Heatley for Staal, i.e. Heatley for Staal + something. Not sure what the something is, but I suspect many of us here would rather see Heatley dealt than any other first line forward on this club.
The Rangers were in the Heatley sweepstakes last summer. Sather wasn't willing to part with Dubinsky, and that's what killed negotiations. Dubi's a great kid, but Staal is a lot more valuable. So I don't think Staal would be moved for Heater. No chance there imo.

Quote:
Gilroy is an NHL/AHL tweener, and he'll likely never be anything more than that. Staal is just a slightly better version of Vlasic. Not even close to that good. If we put together that package, I'd want Doughty, or Keith, or Ovechkin, or Crosby, or Stamkos, or Malkin, or Backstrom. I would not trade that package for anything else, and even Backstrom and Malkin are stretching it for me.
It's kind of hard to properly judge Gilroy at this stage in his career. He's 25 years old already, but last season was his rookie season. The Hobey Baker winner didn't look good defensively. But he's still raw at this level, and the kid does have many things going for him.

If we were to move Staal, it wouldn't be for a good player or two, and a plethora of picks/prospects. We would want something exceptional. Some NYR+ANA fans have discussed a potential Staal/Ryan swap. That's along the lines of what it would take to move Staal. Even then, It won't happen because our defense would give Lundqvist migraines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbbyfan20 View Post
Your right that package would be for those players. Since we might as well be trading the whole core to the Rangers might as well put boyle and Marleau and heatley

Ranger fans are overvaluing Stall allot.

I saw a shark fan post that they would trade Petrecki (sp), Sateri and a first and a second or something like that just for stall. And they rejected it, and said we would have to give allot more.
The Staal brothers have been in this league long enough for people to know how to spell their name properly.

And that package wouldn't be enough for us to part with Marc. Sorry.

Quote:
You would be opening up another hole with a Heatley/Staal swap. As would we. $$$ would require some additional pieces in the mix. Neither of our GM's is going to transform their team. Both clubs will just keep their guy.

Staal to SJS isn't a rumour. It's speculation. Someone with too much time on their hands. I guess it's better than discussing nothing though (sometimes) so I don't really mind thinking outside of the box.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
I don't think Heatley's contract is bad at all.

The top snipers in the game don't come cheap.

Quote:
Appreciate your POV. I understand why the team wont give up Girardi or Staal easily and why they want to move Redden with a $6.5M contract for 4 more seasons. It was a bad contract when extended. But I will be more than a little surprised if Redden goes to the minors for the next 4 years.

I have not watched Redden closely this past season and he has regressed by most measures , but by almost all measures he still is in your top 4 defenseman and not a bottom pair. So I really can't see this as a player who has played himself off the roster. But I do understand your perspective. Its an easy and quick solution to the cap issues.
Redden was on our third pairing last year. Not our top-4. He was even scratched for a couple of games. Wade's done.

Old
08-28-2010, 03:00 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
How so? There would a major downgrade in offense.

Marleau Thornton Heatley
Clowe Pavelski Setoguchi

looks a lot better than:

Marleau Thornton Setoguchi
Clowe Pavelski McGinn/Couture.

The Sharks would improve their D, but their offense would become slightly above average.
1. Heatley has a big cap hit - 7.5
2. poor skater
3. below average defensively
4. bad attitude throughout career (he has to be "babied")
5. will decline offensively at some point, and i peg him as an injury risk in the future with how he gets his goals (in front of the net - could break a foot, or worse)

Old
08-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
2. poor skater
5. will decline offensively at some point, and i peg him as an injury risk in the future with how he gets his goals (in front of the net - could break a foot, or worse)
While those things are true, the Sharks are in a win-now mode. Trading him now wouldn't make sense as long as they're in a win-now mode. If they ever go into a rebuild phase then I agree it would be wise to move him.

Old
08-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
2. poor skater
Now, provide the positives in Heatley's game and see where it gets you. Take a look at the league's scoring leaders the last half-decade, and ask yourself if Heatley isn't worth his $$$.

Seems like you have a personal grudge against one of the top-snipers in the game that contributed his first year with your team.

Old
08-28-2010, 03:22 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Now, provide the positives in Heatley's game and see where it gets you. Take a look at the league's scoring leaders the last half-decade, and ask yourself if Heatley isn't worth his $$$.

Seems like you have a personal grudge against one of the top-snipers in the game that contributed his first year with your team.
i dont hate Heatley, i was in favor of the trade, especially after i heard we werent trading Marleau or our 1st round pick.

i just have that image in my mind of Heatley hobbling around during the playoffs (especially vs. Colorado), and i see that's what Heatley will be like in 3 or 4 years.

Old
08-28-2010, 03:36 PM
ThorntonFan19

We need Heatley's offense. Losing 40 goals will hurt more than getting a shutdown defenseman. We dont have the offensive depth to replace Heatley.

If you think Heatley's contract is bad then you have to think Staal's next contract is going to be terrible. Staal at anything over 5 million is much worse than Heatley at 7.5.

I dont know why NYR would want Heatley anyway. He adds to much salary.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:57 PM
hockeyball

If we were going to do a deal involving Heatley (just to answer Rickety's question), I'd do something like this:

To NYR:
Heatley
Murray
Huskins
1st

To SJ:
Prospal
Staal
Girardi

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.200m) / Devin Setoguchi ($1.800m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Vaclav Prospal ($2.100m)
Jamie McGinn ($0.996m) / Logan Couture ($1.241m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.366m)
Cameron MacIntyre ($0.600m) / Scott Nichol ($0.760m) / Jamal Mayers ($0.600m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.543m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.666m) / Marc Staal ($4.500m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Niclas Wallin ($2.500m) / Jason Demers ($0.543m)
Jay Leach ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Antero Niittymaki ($2.000m) /Thomas Greiss ($0.550m)

CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $327,500

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,745,834; BONUSES: $1,815,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,469,166

Just an example, I think that team is a little less potent offensively, but worlds better defensively. Still have almost 5.5m to spend if you'd rather go a different route than Prospal over the course of the season. I'd actually rather have Rozsival, but I think that leaves the Rangers without a decent top pairing.

We might need to add a solid prospect to that, but I think it's close. Point is, moving Heatley opens up a ton of options, no matter where we move him.

Old
08-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
If we were going to do a deal involving Heatley (just to answer Rickety's question), I'd do something like this:

To NYR:
Heatley
Murray
Huskins
1st

To SJ:
Prospal
Staal
Girardi

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.200m) / Devin Setoguchi ($1.800m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Vaclav Prospal ($2.100m)
Jamie McGinn ($0.996m) / Logan Couture ($1.241m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.366m)
Cameron MacIntyre ($0.600m) / Scott Nichol ($0.760m) / Jamal Mayers ($0.600m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.543m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.666m) / Marc Staal ($4.500m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Niclas Wallin ($2.500m) / Jason Demers ($0.543m)
Jay Leach ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Antero Niittymaki ($2.000m) /Thomas Greiss ($0.550m)

CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $327,500

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,745,834; BONUSES: $1,815,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,469,166

Just an example, I think that team is a little less potent offensively, but worlds better defensively. Still have almost 5.5m to spend if you'd rather go a different route than Prospal over the course of the season. I'd actually rather have Rozsival, but I think that leaves the Rangers without a decent top pairing.

We might need to add a solid prospect to that, but I think it's close. Point is, moving Heatley opens up a ton of options, no matter where we move him.
That deal would absolutely destroy the Rangers D. I doubt they go for that.

Old
08-28-2010, 04:15 PM
fasterthanlight

Is heatley's contract really that bad?

He has the potential to return to being a 50 goal scorer. And it's not like he relies on skating too much, and isn't that the first thing that goes with age?

Also, as far as heatley getting injured in front of the net, is that really how he's been getting his goals as a shark? Screening the goalie and redirecting huge point shots? That's not the heatley I know.

I mean, maybe he's a tad overpaid (cap-hit wise), but if so, it's only by 500k-1m.

fasterthanlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:16 PM
smoneil

Quote:
That deal would absolutely destroy the Rangers D. I doubt they go for that.
There's not much chance of it happening from a salary cap standpoint either.

Old
08-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterthanlight View Post
Is heatley's contract really that bad?

He has the potential to return to being a 50 goal scorer. And it's not like he relies on skating too much, and isn't that the first thing that goes with age?

Also, as far as heatley getting injured in front of the net, is that really how he's been getting his goals as a shark? Screening the goalie and redirecting huge point shots? That's not the heatley I know.

I mean, maybe he's a tad overpaid (cap-hit wise), but if so, it's only by 500k-1m.
Most of goals from last year were from the front of the net.

Old
08-28-2010, 04:24 PM
fasterthanlight

Quote:
Most of goals from last year were from the front of the net.
Maybe the offseason is getting to me, but were these goals really the result of him jockeying for position with a defender and getting in a high-risk injury areas (as far as getting hit with a point shot)? I feel as if he mostly banged in rebounds close in, but often not from a position where a point shot could hurt him.

EDIT:

I just re-watched a youtube compilation of (what appears to be) every one of Heatley's goals as a shark (I admittedly didn't watch him too much in Ottawa) and it seems to me that there are only 3-5 goals that he scored putting himself in a "dangerous" area, i.e. a shot could've seriously injured him. Yes, it only takes one unlucky shot to cause a problem, but it seems to me that most of Heatley's goals (at least as a shark) aren't scored from areas that put him in a "dangerous" situation. My point is to label him as a particular injury risk (for getting hit with a shot and breaking a foot, for example) given the way he plays might not be entirely fair.

Last edited by fasterthanlight: 08-28-2010 at 04:44 PM.
fasterthanlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:32 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
There's not much chance of it happening from a salary cap standpoint either.
I was assuming you'd still waive Redden and Todd White, unless I'm mistaken about that I thought that was the plan.

Anyway, as long as the value is 'close' that's all I cared about. The point was just what moving Heatley could mean to the Sharks roster, not how the Rangers roster would look afterward. We could put similar players from other teams in instead, I just used the Rangers because that's who we were talking about. If it wouldn't work for the Rangers, I certainly can understand that, but it wasn't the point I was trying to make.