HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Summer Skates

Old
08-25-2010, 12:30 PM
schronote

vCash: 500
Blues Summer Skates

I went to my first summer skate this morning and the boys looked in shape, fairly sharp on skills, and basically ready for Payne to come in and mold them into a team.

Here are videos from this morning(8/25/10):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiENRIu7DhQ -Start of Scrimmage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU3bKUkiQtk -David Perron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjvWF6MpMKw -EJ with goal at end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV9Vn32J2E4 -Alex Petro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8t__Y6yS-0 -Phil Mcrae

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 12:45 PM
schronote

Small scouting report:

Phil Mcrae- consistently the best player on this ice, kind of surprised but showed great puck handling and vision in no contact situations. Very improved from last summer.

Erik Johnson- Looked like Erik Johnson, tall thick dman with heavy shot and small man skills. If he stays healthy he will be a great offensive defensemen for many years.

Alex Pietrangelo- Made a handful of great heads up plays, breakaway passes, skating out of trouble, another one with a chance to be great offensive weapon. Control pace of play well with puck.

Patrik Berglund- looked good, but didn't capitalize much on all chances he had, worked hard, made a few real nice plays, second best shot on the team behind Alex Steen.

David Perron- Absolute beauty, improved skating, got bigger, looks more poised, and is letting his legs do the work until he gets to speed then uses those great hands. Set up Cam Janssen on the constant.

Alex Steen- Looked great, fast, crafty, and an absolute cannon for a shot, best I have seen in person in a long time. Seems to be taking his career seriously.

Matt D'agostini- great speed and shot but very tunnel vision and lacks one on one ability. Skates straight into dmen instead of using speed to outside. Seems to be doomed as AHL-NHL tweener but we'll see.

Mcclement and Crombeen looked the same just fresh and in top shape.

Tyson Strachan- NHL ready. Looked good.

N. Drazenovic- Looked average at beginning but had a few solid shifts at the end.

Shattock- Much Improved from last summer.

Ian Cole- Not changed a whole lot since Peoria stint, maybe a bit bulkier. Looked tired at the end, not physically but mentally, like he was going back to bed when he got home.

Ben Bishop- Made some great saves and was consistent throughout skate. Except for an Alex Steen and Patrik Berglund he seemed to challenge shooters and do well.

All in All everyone improved and thats huge. Polak, Backes, Oshie, Boyes, Allen, Halak, Nikitin, and Ponich were the notable people not there. Our future D could be real good once Jax and Brew are gone and guys like EJ, Strachan, Cole, Polak, and Petro are logging all the minutes, our transition game will greatly improve.

Old
08-25-2010, 05:09 PM
schronote

Does anyone know when Backes, Oshie, Polak, or Boyes will be back in town skating with the guys?

Old
08-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Blues0307

Quote:
Originally Posted by schronote View Post
Small scouting report:

Phil Mcrae- consistently the best player on this ice, kind of surprised but showed great puck handling and vision in no contact situations. Very improved from last summer.

Erik Johnson- Looked like Erik Johnson, tall thick dman with heavy shot and small man skills. If he stays healthy he will be a great offensive defensemen for many years.

Alex Pietrangelo- Made a handful of great heads up plays, breakaway passes, skating out of trouble, another one with a chance to be great offensive weapon. Control pace of play well with puck.

Patrik Berglund- looked good, but didn't capitalize much on all chances he had, worked hard, made a few real nice plays, second best shot on the team behind Alex Steen.

David Perron- Absolute beauty, improved skating, got bigger, looks more poised, and is letting his legs do the work until he gets to speed then uses those great hands. Set up Cam Janssen on the constant.

Alex Steen- Looked great, fast, crafty, and an absolute cannon for a shot, best I have seen in person in a long time. Seems to be taking his career seriously.

Matt D'agostini- great speed and shot but very tunnel vision and lacks one on one ability. Skates straight into dmen instead of using speed to outside. Seems to be doomed as AHL-NHL tweener but we'll see.

Mcclement and Crombeen looked the same just fresh and in top shape.

Tyson Strachan- NHL ready. Looked good.

N. Drazenovic- Looked average at beginning but had a few solid shifts at the end.

Shattock- Much Improved from last summer.

Ian Cole- Not changed a whole lot since Peoria stint, maybe a bit bulkier. Looked tired at the end, not physically but mentally, like he was going back to bed when he got home.

Ben Bishop- Made some great saves and was consistent throughout skate. Except for an Alex Steen and Patrik Berglund he seemed to challenge shooters and do well.

All in All everyone improved and thats huge. Polak, Backes, Oshie, Boyes, Allen, Halak, Nikitin, and Ponich were the notable people not there. Our future D could be real good once Jax and Brew are gone and guys like EJ, Strachan, Cole, Polak, and Petro are logging all the minutes, our transition game will greatly improve.
Schronote, you're the man. Thanks for the vids and the scouting report. I'm looking forward to this season even more than last year. This should be the transition year from being a team on the outside looking in to being a team that can compete with the top teams. I'm really hoping Perron and Berglund have good years.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:00 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Great job on this schronote! Only 45 more days to go.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:11 PM
EOM

Great summary, thanks a lot Schronote.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Is the other goalie Mike McKenna? I wish we could get him in the system some how. He's a good AHL goalie.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Stang

thanks for posting this! it was great to watch those vids and then to read your recap on things

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:42 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
Does anyone know when Backes, Oshie, Polak, or Boyes will be back in town skating with the guys?
Polak and Halak will probably wait until they are required to report by the team.

Oshie always does his own thing with fellow NHL'ers at North Dakota's facility and also instructs at hockey camps during the summer, so who knows.

No idea about Backes or Boyes.

Last I heard, Ian Cole was at his U.S. Development Terminator measurements of 6'1,215. These are his measurements that he's used to playing at when he's in peak condition. If he looked mentally tired then that is consistent with the after effects of concussion. I'm not saying it was neccesarily that, but what you described as looking like he would be headed to bed as soon as possible could easily be explained by Ian's two concussions last year. Not unexpected given his recent history and nothing I'm concerned about from a contact standpoint. What does concern me is the very real probability of him wearing down mentally while fighting these after effects. Might not be a bad idea to monitor his demeanor closely for signs of fatigue or general tired appearance at following practices. Hopefully, it's just rust and Ian is actually fine.

Last edited by TK 421: 08-25-2010 at 11:54 PM.
TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Overkamp

I had thought Backes was already back in town and just hasn't started skating yet?

Either way I will say this..I don't question Backes' work ethic in the least but it kind of rubs me the wrong way that the two players that had the largest regression last year are the same two that aren't showing up for informal practices.

I'm certain I'm making a mountain out of a molehill and it's probably a much ado about nothing..it just irritates me.

Halak will be here September 10th.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Senor Rational

Send a message via AIM to Senor Rational
I went for a little bit this morning and the one thing I can say that really impressed me about pietranglo is that he rarely put his head...even to look at the puck in his skates. Pretty impressive stuff.

Senor Rational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:39 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
I had thought Backes was already back in town and just hasn't started skating yet?

Either way I will say this..I don't question Backes' work ethic in the least but it kind of rubs me the wrong way that the two players that had the largest regression last year are the same two that aren't showing up for informal practices.

I'm certain I'm making a mountain out of a molehill and it's probably a much ado about nothing..it just irritates me.

Do you mean points wise or regression in another aspect with Backes?

Keep in mind that David's numbers can be largely attributed to going from RW to C when MacDonald was injured a couple of seasons ago. Not only did he switch to center, he jumped directly to 1st line center which is huge for a guy who gets by more often as a result of hard work than skill. The defensive responsibilities alone are enough to drop your numbers, let alone producing at the same pace as you did at wing. It really should be acknowledged if we're talking about regression points wise. If it's numbers you're referring to, then there is an easy explanation that doesn't reflect poorly on Backes at all. In fact, it speaks to his versatility(with the caveat that David was a do it all playmaking center before he was a RW power forward).

Thinking about Brad Boyes just makes me angry(conversely, thoughts of Halak are tranquil bliss). Here's to hoping this is a priority assignment for Scott Mellanby, outside of Patrik Berglund.

Last edited by TK 421: 08-26-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old
08-28-2010, 09:44 AM
schronote

Yesterday morning was a skills practice. Alex Steen and Erik Johnson were not there, but M. Cundari and B. Jackman made their first appearance when I was there. Ian Cole was better and looked more aware, I really just think the other day was just him being tired, nothing to do with concussion. M. Cundari looked unreal, much improved from last year. This kid has great hands, good skating, best comparison is similar style to say PK Subban, very raw and explosive but very skilled. Some of these young guys really improved from last summer which is great to see. On 2 on 1 drill Berglund didn't shoot once from top of circles when had perfect lane to do so, if he would shoot more often in practice that would translate to a lot more transition goals, he has a great shot just needs to use it, I am sure coaches will help with that when they come in.

Old
08-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

I really can't understand why people dog Backes. Yeah he didn't score as often as the year prior, but he was only six points shy of the previous year. He also drastically improved his PIM totals and played in the Olympics.

Now if you want to harp on his slow starts then by all means.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:49 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
Yesterday morning was a skills practice. Alex Steen and Erik Johnson were not there, but M. Cundari and B. Jackman made their first appearance when I was there. Ian Cole was better and looked more aware, I really just think the other day was just him being tired, nothing to do with concussion. M. Cundari looked unreal, much improved from last year. This kid has great hands, good skating, best comparison is similar style to say PK Subban, very raw and explosive but very skilled. Some of these young guys really improved from last summer which is great to see. On 2 on 1 drill Berglund didn't shoot once from top of circles when had perfect lane to do so, if he would shoot more often in practice that would translate to a lot more transition goals, he has a great shot just needs to use it, I am sure coaches will help with that when they come in.
Thanks for the update man, that's good to hear. I know there are a lot of guys to watch, but please continue to keep an eye on him for those who can't make it. Again, we all really appreciate the info.

Old
08-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Oshie97

Thanks for the info schronote.I'm hoping Pie will be a regular on the ice this yr. I really want to see EJ and Pie develop into the potential they have. One thing that bothers me is seeing that Backes continues to have slow starts you would think he would be one of the first guys in town.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Overkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
Do you mean points wise or regression in another aspect with Backes?

Keep in mind that David's numbers can be largely attributed to going from RW to C when MacDonald was injured a couple of seasons ago. Not only did he switch to center, he jumped directly to 1st line center which is huge for a guy who gets by more often as a result of hard work than skill. The defensive responsibilities alone are enough to drop your numbers, let alone producing at the same pace as you did at wing. It really should be acknowledged if we're talking about regression points wise. If it's numbers you're referring to, then there is an easy explanation that doesn't reflect poorly on Backes at all. In fact, it speaks to his versatility(with the caveat that David was a do it all playmaking center before he was a RW power forward).

Thinking about Brad Boyes just makes me angry(conversely, thoughts of Halak are tranquil bliss). Here's to hoping this is a priority assignment for Scott Mellanby, outside of Patrik Berglund.
I guess I mean that Backes always has slow starts and maybe it has something to do with his offseason training program. Like I said, I'm probably way off base as this is pure speculation.

But I also agree that his production could have been hurt last year givin all the line changing and flipping around our whole team went through.

I agree with you on Boyes and my original post was mainly directed at him.

Last edited by Overkamp: 08-30-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Blueshockey2*

I've been out there a couple of times, I respect everyone trying to throw out their opinions on players but it's really hard to guage these guys when their just playing a pickup game. When I went the first time a few weeks ago they played 3 on 3 half court and Brad Winchester looked like the next coming of Sidney Crosby ...

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 10:49 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
I guess I mean that Backes always has slow starts and maybe it has something to do with his offseason training program. Like I said, I'm probably way off base as this is pure speculation.

But I also agree that his production could have been hurt last year giving all the line changing and flipping around our whole team went through.

I agree with you on Boyes and my original post was mainly directed at him.
The slow starts are definitely a trend with him, not sure what to make of it myself. Maybe it's a rythym issue where it takes him a bit to get his timing down. It seemed to me that last season the effort was there, but not the results in the early part of the season(jmo).

Old
08-30-2010, 02:49 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I bet he doesn't have a slow start this season. I think it was just a flukey thing, not a career-long issue.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:12 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I bet he doesn't have a slow start this season. I think it was just a flukey thing, not a career-long issue.
I would bet that too. Backes will immediately benefit more than anyone on the team from the presense of Scott Mellanby regardless of what position he ends up at the most.

If you put Backes back at RW, defensemen will resume urinating in their pants, bad passes resulting in turnovers will become abundant and David feasts. I would expect numbers close to his 31 goal season in that scenario. Both Murray and Payne entrusted the No.1 center position to Backes exclusively though, even after MacDonald was fully recovered. Will they finally just hand it over to Oshie and his superlative reads and most excellent backchecking with less than 10 games in that role? Will they just move Andy and his ace face off skills back to center and take the hit defensively?

Recent history shows us that it will likely remain Backes at No.1 center and thus fantasy league people everywhere will lament having him and his "slump" taking up a roster spot. Even given his tough assignment, I would bet that he benefits the most from Mellanby's presense and that it will be noticeable just watching him shift to shift. I'm expecting slightly better to moderately better numbers to reflect the upgraded transition game from the D(assuming Petro makes it) and of course, the lack of a slow start this season to break the trend.

Old
08-31-2010, 09:39 AM
Blueshockey2*

Quote:

1) Backes is in town, if I'm not mistaking he lives in the St. Charles area, plus he was there a few weeks ago when I went and watched the scrimmage...

2) Halak will arrive in St. Louis on September 8th but will not be on the ice till September 10th

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Superscout

Thanks for the update! I saw McRae about a month ago and he was a trim 205lbs. With his added muscle, he'll be tough to handle in the offensive zone with his hands and vision.

Superscout is offline   Reply With Quote