HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-Season Game 1: vs Tampa Bay, 9/21

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-22-2010, 09:55 AM
  #76
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Crawford on tonight's game:



Blinden did well? At -2? Maybe he saw something I couldn't due to being only on radio, but he seemed to not do well at all.
Then you can also, eventually grant Crawford superior knowlegeability, Isn't he supposed to be the head coach ... paid xxx.xxx USD a year ...
hence isn't he suppose to know more than we do ?? divan fans or maybe a bit more ?

As a matter of fact, next time when entering into a debate wheter Crawford is right or not, try at least to have watched the game !

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:00 AM
  #77
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,180
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
If Cheechoo doesn't make the team I hope Dallas goes with something like this:

Neal - Richards - Eriksson
Morrow - Ribeiro - Benn
Ott - Wandell - Brunnstrom
Sutherby - Gagnon - Burish

that's if Gagnon keeps it up. Dallas can wait until next year with Benn to make him into a center (when Richards will likely be on his way and Benn can take over 2nd line center duties). Having an effective scoring 2nd line is more important.

Maybe if you're really sold on Benn at center you go with Brunnstrom up there instead..
I asked the same question in the Cheechoo thread.

I was wondering if you just moved Gagnon to RW. If you already have a strong 1st line and most people indicate Bruno-Benn-Ott is coming along nicely, why not leave those lines alone now and give Aaron an opportunity in the remaining games as a winger.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:07 AM
  #78
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,180
vCash: 475
FYI .... you do have to give up a forward for Gagnon, Cheechoo, or another prospect to make the team. Before training camp, I speculated it could be Sutherby because of his high salary and the fact he was on the organizations good side last year. However, now it seems he's impressing Crow and playing well.

I really thought Bruno had not shot because of Cheechoo taking the last scoring line spot, but then they decided to go with what seems to be 3 scoring lines. He’s using that opportunity well it seems.

That leaves Barch, Petersen, and Segal. I really like Segal as a depth forward, but I just don't see them dumping Barch or Petersen. Plus, Segal is on a two-way deal, and he could play for Texas.

Assuming Gagnon makes Dallas out of camp, Segal could replace some of his offense. Unfortunately, Texas would be losing their best center.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:24 AM
  #79
Alistar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Azores
Posts: 8,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I asked the same question in the Cheechoo thread.

I was wondering if you just moved Gagnon to RW. If you already have a strong 1st line and most people indicate Bruno-Benn-Ott is coming along nicely, why not leave those lines alone now and give Aaron an opportunity in the remaining games as a winger.
well ignoring last night all the praise for Gagnon has focused on his defensive game, faceoff ability, and relentless puck pursuit and forechecking. The 4th line seems like the only spot for him to start off.

Segal could be a decent candidate to move out because he would have some value around the league after that strong finish to the season. Peterson would probably be the other candidate because he plays center and Gagnon would be taking his spot.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:40 AM
  #80
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,937
vCash: 746
So much hate for calling out Crawfords postgame comments. Has it not been well documented that Crawford sees what he wants to see and has made mmany questionable "observations" after games? I just felt this could be one of those.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:55 AM
  #81
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,180
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
So much hate for calling out Crawfords postgame comments. Has it not been well documented that Crawford sees what he wants to see and has made mmany questionable "observations" after games? I just felt this could be one of those.
No hate. It just made me laugh.

The only thing documented is people sometimes don't agree with him. That doesn't make Crow wrong and them right. It just means they disagree.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:14 PM
  #82
piqued
Global Moderator
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,957
vCash: 27750
The whole Gagnon thing is frustrating because he shouldn't have to be moved to RW and shouldn't be in peril of falling victim to the numbers game. It was clear last year that he would be ready for a full-time NHL role by now yet the team just kept putting up obstacles to him carving out a spot. He's the perfect 4th line center as far as I'm concerned -- a guy who can win a faceoff, wow! Petersen needs to be gotten rid of somehow and maybe we consider trying Wandell on Ribs' empty wing if Cheechoo keeps sleepwalking through his last chance? Honestly I think Vincour would be the best move for the team, but I can understand wanting him and Roman to work together in the AHL for a while.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:38 PM
  #83
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
The whole Gagnon thing is frustrating because he shouldn't have to be moved to RW and shouldn't be in peril of falling victim to the numbers game. It was clear last year that he would be ready for a full-time NHL role by now yet the team just kept putting up obstacles to him carving out a spot. He's the perfect 4th line center as far as I'm concerned -- a guy who can win a faceoff, wow! Petersen needs to be gotten rid of somehow and maybe we consider trying Wandell on Ribs' empty wing if Cheechoo keeps sleepwalking through his last chance? Honestly I think Vincour would be the best move for the team, but I can understand wanting him and Roman to work together in the AHL for a while.
Well if Wandell cant win faceoffs, which as I recall he sucked at last year, maybe we start with Wandell - Gagnon - someone else
I think wandell can definitely handle lw, and maybe itll help him get up to speed better after the injury? who knows. I really have zero faith in Sutherbys ability to stay healthy long enough to bring anything of value to that spot and I definitely don't think Gagnon is going to improve by playing in teh AHL any more.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:57 PM
  #84
Alistar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Azores
Posts: 8,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
The whole Gagnon thing is frustrating because he shouldn't have to be moved to RW and shouldn't be in peril of falling victim to the numbers game. It was clear last year that he would be ready for a full-time NHL role by now yet the team just kept putting up obstacles to him carving out a spot. He's the perfect 4th line center as far as I'm concerned -- a guy who can win a faceoff, wow! Petersen needs to be gotten rid of somehow and maybe we consider trying Wandell on Ribs' empty wing if Cheechoo keeps sleepwalking through his last chance? Honestly I think Vincour would be the best move for the team, but I can understand wanting him and Roman to work together in the AHL for a while.
Vincour looks like he could be a great option on a 2nd or 3rd line a year from now, but I really doubt he's physically ready for the NHL right now. A year in the AHL will do wonders for his game I think, so long as he gets the oppurtunity to play on the 1st/2nd line.

It's too bad the Stars are so firmly entrenched in putting Benn at center because another option would be Wandell centering a 3rd line with Benn and Brunnstrom on the wings and Ott going up to the 2nd line with Ribeiro and Morrow.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:00 PM
  #85
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 15,103
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
Segal could be a decent candidate to move out because he would have some value around the league after that strong finish to the season. Peterson would probably be the other candidate because he plays center and Gagnon would be taking his spot.
If there isn't a place for Segal on the Stars, with them being more aware than any other team about his game last season, exactly what kind of value would he have? I'm not saying they couldn't get something for him, but it would be something like a 6th round pick, i.e. nothing worth trading him for.

He's not a permanent fix on the Ribs-Morrow line, but if (when) Cheechoo doesn't make the team I kind of think Segal is the guy for that slot. Maybe they can catch lightning in a bottle for a while like he did with Ribeiro last year, and then when his offensive game peters out he can move down the lineup and maybe Vincour comes up. I agree that in a perfect world Vincour probably wouldn't play any more than a handful of NHL games this year, but he (and their situation) may force their hand.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:47 AM
  #86
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,180
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
The whole Gagnon thing is frustrating because he shouldn't have to be moved to RW and shouldn't be in peril of falling victim to the numbers game. It was clear last year that he would be ready for a full-time NHL role by now yet the team just kept putting up obstacles to him carving out a spot. He's the perfect 4th line center as far as I'm concerned -- a guy who can win a faceoff, wow! Petersen needs to be gotten rid of somehow and maybe we consider trying Wandell on Ribs' empty wing if Cheechoo keeps sleepwalking through his last chance? Honestly I think Vincour would be the best move for the team, but I can understand wanting him and Roman to work together in the AHL for a while.
Petersen's re-signing has zero to do with a logjam at center. He played wing the majority of last season. Thereís really no need to try and turn everything into a complaint about the organization.

Whether people like it or not, Benn at center was always going to happen. They already had Richards, Ribeiro, and Wandell. Despite not being as strong at faceoffs, Wandell is obviously the best defensive center in the organization. Thereís no reason to move a player from a position of strength. Benn struggled some with faceoffs so they played him with Ott. The obvious thing to do would play Gagnon with Wandell if that was a concern for the coaches.

Gagnon's only chance to make the team as a center is if Wandell's injury is more serious than they thought (or he re-injures) or they put Benn at center on the backburner (why would they, that line has been good).

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:16 AM
  #87
piqued
Global Moderator
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,957
vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Despite not being as strong at faceoffs, Wandell is obviously the best defensive center in the organization.
I think that title would instantly go to Gagnon if he made the team.

Wandell's fragility is becoming a concern. If the team does, in fact, keep Ribeiro, you've got to start questioning whether Wandell has a place in this lineup at all.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:53 AM
  #88
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets
 
Karitimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,344
vCash: 500
Alistar - I would not break up Ott, Benn, Brunnstrom to start the season...best line in camp.

Throw pretty much any pylon on the RW the and let Ribs and Morrow work the left side in the offensive zone. When Ribs and Morrow are on their game you don't even notice the RW, as in he is a part of the line but not really a big part of what materializes. I hope Cheechoo 'shows better' next game, because all they need is a shooter and a guy to go to dirty areas and bang one in, in those goal mouth scrambles.

Not surprised Larsen scored. The guy has sick speed and poise with the puck. It is amazing to watch how quick he hits stride and backs the defenders up. He does that signature Zubov/Gonchar glide and assessment with his head up, but seemingly at a higher speed. He does look tiny and plays small out there. Give it time and we have something great assuming he doesn't get too battered and bruised.


Last edited by Karitimes: 09-23-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:40 AM
  #89
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,180
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I think that title would instantly go to Gagnon if he made the team.

Wandell's fragility is becoming a concern. If the team does, in fact, keep Ribeiro, you've got to start questioning whether Wandell has a place in this lineup at all.
You're being overly dramatic.

That knee injury was not an issue of being fragile. His leg slammed into an open door as he was skating hard .... that's a freak accident.

A slight shoulder sprain, that's expected to keep him out 10 days, isn't a major issue. Thatís what can happen when huge bruiser like Fistric finishes a guy into the boards.

Finally, a guy that couldn't crack the NHL club full time as a defensive center last year isn't better than the younger center who did. I'm sure few people would agree that Gagnon is better in a checking role than Wandell. However, they could work well together, but I donít know what you do with Burish.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:51 AM
  #90
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,180
vCash: 475
Burish hasn't been a goal scorer at any level of hockey, btw. I had been wondering about that since the team claimed they felt he had some untapped offensive potential when they signed him. Burish's best year in the NCAA was 13 goals, 11 for the AHL.

That said, I still think Gagnon is a better option at RW with Ribs based on the spots that seem to be open. He scored 27 goals last year in the AHL, and he was productive in the WHL. As far as untapped potential goes, wouldn’t you agree Gagnon appears to be a better option?

That would leave Burish in the grinder, checker role they intended for him.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:58 PM
  #91
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 15,103
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
You're being overly dramatic.

That knee injury was not an issue of being fragile. His leg slammed into an open door as he was skating hard .... that's a freak accident.

A slight shoulder sprain, that's expected to keep him out 10 days, isn't a major issue. Thatís what can happen when huge bruiser like Fistric finishes a guy into the boards.

Finally, a guy that couldn't crack the NHL club full time as a defensive center last year isn't better than the younger center who did. I'm sure few people would agree that Gagnon is better in a checking role than Wandell. However, they could work well together, but I donít know what you do with Burish.
I wouldn't call it overly dramatic. I'm a huge Wandell fan myself, but you have to admit that his body doesn't look like he should be able to withstand the beating that his game puts him through. I'm not saying it will matter much in the longrun, but even if the knee injuries were freak accidents, the fact is that he now has two rebuilt knees.

I think your point about Fistric's hit makes the argument opposite of your stance. Wandell will be hit like that often during the course of the season, so we should hope that his getting injured on that hit was more just a part of getting back into game shape and taking a hit for the first time in quite a while than fragility.

At least for the moment it's kind of hard to make a case for Wandell being particularly rugged.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.