HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Price being shopped? To San Jose?

Old
08-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Year Plan View Post
Sure, you can speculate that McDonagh will turn out to be a great defenseman and make the Habs regret the trade down the line... In the meantime though, Gomez is a solid two-way center capable of putting up 60 points or more who forms a great one-two punch with Plekanec, and as an added bonus, he's very exciting to watch and fits Martin's system to a tee. As it stands, the Habs do not regret this trade in the slightest.

And yes, you're right, we'll have to see how Halak plays in the future to judge this trade, but it's not like the Habs let him walk through free agency or something. They did get Eller and Schultz back as well, so just like the Gomez trade, we won't be able to judge it properly for years. Another thing the move did was open up the #1 spot for Price, so if he breaks out and excels this year, his play has to be factored into whether the Habs made the right decision or not.
I think Gomez is a nice /exciting two-way player too.

I only say he not a #1 center. He's a playmaker first but also a perrenial 10-20 goal scorer and is getting paid $8M for that. Montreal didnt gave him that contract...no even worse...they traded prospects to get him. Now all those prospects may not pan out, yet they have wasted valuable cap space. That was just not a good trade.

Personally I think it was a big mistake to trade Halak and not Price but it's too soon to jump to conclusions about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
It's 1000000000000x better than the Kings'. We're a better team without the years of suckig and acquiring top draft picks.
Absolutely ! x100 !

You just showed how childish you actually are. You feel good now ? Its hard to read something negative about Montreal..heh ?

Last edited by Frolov 6'3: 08-29-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Absolutely !

You just showed how childish you actually are.

Cant discuss without giving cheap shots.
How is it that whenever I see you, you're in a habs thread talking some kind of trash? It's more than just coincidence, imo.

And you know it's true.

You saying our managment is incompetent for aquiring Gomez and trading Halak (who you yourself even said that it remains to be seen how it turns out) is funny, then you asking me to admit it like a 5 yr old because it's somehow true in your mind is just hilarious.

Last edited by Next Best Thing*: 08-29-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
You saying our managment is incompetent for aquiring Gomez and trading Halak (who you yourself even said that it remains to be seen how it turns out) is funny, then you asking me to admit it like a 5 yr old because it's somehow true in your mind is just hilarious.
That is my personal opinion yes. Where did I say they were imcompetent because of that ? Please quote me. I was talking about Gomez and disagreed with your comment about Halak.

Just read what I said and dont make things up.

Quote:
How is it that whenever I see you, you're in a habs thread talking some kind of trash? It's more than just coincidence, imo.

And you know it's true.
How typical that I read this. I think you are totally confused with someone else. You THINK it's trash..that's a big difference. I made a fair response. If you cant even handle that, than what can you handle ??

If you read anything that you dont like, than people are talking trash about your habs or you make childish remarks.

"Oh my team is 10000000x better than yours...na na na na na..."
stuff like that. Grow up.

Last edited by Frolov 6'3: 08-29-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old
08-29-2010, 04:24 PM
missionaborted

Quote:
How's acquiring a #1 center for scraps and selling high on a goalie who will most likely not repeat the seemingly godlike streak he had during 18 games prove that our managment is incompetent?

Gainey made some tough choices but they were the right ones.

And what's with the etc x3, you can't come up with anything else?...
Geez... I just gave a few examples, but if you want we can go back to Roy leaving and then winning the cup with the Avalanche... or maybe Letting John Leclaire go... is that far back enough??? How about when they sent Claude Lemieux to Jersey for Sylvain Turgeon? Long enough ago???

oh wait... we are talking about RECENT history... Like letting Halak go, taking on Scott Gomez and his huge contract, firing Guy Carbonneau, showing NO loyalty to Koivu... the list goes on.

missionaborted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:

I only say he not a #1 center. He's a playmaker first but also a perrenial 10-20 goal scorer and is getting paid $8M for that. Montreal didnt gave him that contract...no even worse...they traded prospects to get him. Now all those prospects may not pan out, yet they have wasted valuable cap space. That was just not a good trade.

Personally I think it was a big mistake to trade Halak and not Price but it's too soon to jump to conclusions about that.
His cap hit is $7.3M. It may seem petty, but rounding up to 8 to make your argument sound stronger just makes you look childish, IMO.

The Habs basically traded Higgins, McD and Valentenko to the Rangers for Gomez and Pyatt. The Rangers ended up using Higgins as bait for a deadline rental (and still missed the playoffs btw), and he is now on his fourth team in three seasons (I love the guy though). That leaves the Rangers with one very good prospect and another who may very well never come to North America.

The Habs ended up with a fringe first-line center and an energy player who is almost a lock to play on the fourth line and on the PK. Gomez is probably overpaid by about $2M, which could have been the difference between re-signing Dominic Moore or not. Moore was awesome, but I won't loose sleep over losing a third-line player to keep a top-six center.

My opinion is that you are overplaying how much Gomez's hefty cap hit hurts the Habs and it is clouding your judgment on the trade. When you consider Gomez's contributions to the team, it really wasn't that big of a price to pay, considering that they had (and still have) the cap space to fit him into the line-up and that it filled a HUGE need for the Habs. When you factor in that Pyatt will most likely also be on the ice in the season opener, it makes the return even that much better for the Habs.

I'm not saying that either team won or lost the trade. The Rangers used the cap space to fill their more pressing need (goalscoring) and picked up some young defensemen in return as well. Purely from the Habs point of view, maybe we'll regret it in 4 or 5 years as I said, but it was definitely a good trade for us right now.

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Pepin le bref

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionaborted View Post
[/b]

Haven't Habs management already succeeded in proving themselves as incompetent (ie: Gomez, Halak, Bob Gainey and all his brilliant decisions... etc etc et)???
If the Habs are so incompetent why do they make the playoffs every year?

By the way, HF faithful, Montreal dosen't regret the Gomez trade one bit. Higgins is already gone drinking elsewhere, Valentenko will probably never come to North America and Ryan McDonagh isn't even good enough to produce offensively at the college level. Rangers will be lucky if he ever pans out as another Curtis Leschyshyn type.

At this point, Ryan McDonagh +/- = Tom Pyatt

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:
Geez... I just gave a few examples, but if you want we can go back to Roy leaving and then winning the cup with the Avalanche... or maybe Letting John Leclaire go... is that far back enough??? How about when they sent Claude Lemieux to Jersey for Sylvain Turgeon? Long enough ago???

oh wait... we are talking about RECENT history... Like letting Halak go, taking on Scott Gomez and his huge contract, firing Guy Carbonneau, showing NO loyalty to Koivu... the list goes on.
Please explain to me how in God's name that was a bad move? Give me one good reason.

Also, they didn't "let Halak go," they traded him. I don't know if you've heard of him, but Lars Eller is a pretty damn good prospect who will probably make the team this year. Some St. Louis fans were more upset about trading Eller than happy about acquiring Halak the day the trade was made.

Koivu was and still is one of my favorite players since I've started watching hockey, but it was clearly time to move on. Look at what the team accomplished this year with the new core.

Old
08-29-2010, 04:36 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Please explain to me how in God's name that was a bad move? Give me one good reason.

Also, they didn't "let Halak go," they traded him. I don't know if you've heard of him, but Lars Eller is a pretty damn good prospect who will probably make the team this year. Some St. Louis fans were more upset about trading Eller than happy about acquiring Halak the day the trade was made.

Koivu was and still is one of my favorite players since I've started watching hockey, but it was clearly time to move on. Look at what the team accomplished this year with the new core.
Nothing! Halak did it all by himself!

One Trick Pony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
His cap hit is $7.3M. It may seem petty, but rounding up to 8 to make your argument sound stronger just makes you look childish, IMO.
Oh please...what is this ? Yeah very childish from my side. How dare I !

This is getting nowhere, I'm sorry. Looking for things that arent there.

Old
08-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Pepin le bref

Quote:

Haters gonna hate I guess,

The nit-picking you are doing, you can do it with pretty much any team in the league. Besides would you be able to explain how firing Carbonneau or letting Koivu go was such a bad thing? Or your just to preoccupied by spilling gas into the fire?

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:
Oh please...what is this ? Yeah very childish from my side. How dare I !

This is getting nowhere, I'm sorry. Looking for things that arent there.
Right. I like how you ignored all the real arguments. I was just getting back at you for calling other people childish.

But you're probably right anyway. You're deadset on putting down the Habs and are convinced that it was a bad trade no matter what arguments we put out, despite us watching the Habs 82 times (and more) a year. This probably won't get anywhere with you.

Old
08-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Seth Rollins
Sierra, Hotel, India

Quote:

It depends how you look at it. On the surface, no it doesn't look like a good trade, but you have to remember that before July 1 rolled around last year, it was made abundantly clear that all Montreal's impeding UFA's would not be brought back. This includes Koivu. That would've left us with Plekanec and Lapierre as our top 2 centres. I may be wrong, but I don't think the crop of UFA centres in 2009 was that great. Sure we could've grabbed a cheaper centre, but a better one than Gomez? Unlikely.

Also, it's not like we gave anything crucial to NYR. Higgins was coming off a terrible year (he subsequently had an even worse year with NYR/CGY), there was a lot of belief that McDonagh's development had stalled, and some minor leaguers were thrown in. We essentially got Gomez and Pyatt (who is now a fixture in the Habs lineup) back. Value wise, not a bad trade.

Then there's the UFA's we acquired after trading for Gomez. On Off The Record, which is a Canadian sports talk show, Cammalleri was asked if he would've joined the Canadiens had not acquired Gomez, and he said "honestly, I don't know". Then there's Brian Gionta, who IMO is the front runner to be the next captain of this franchise. Does he sign with us if one of his best friends from New Jersey, a guy he had amazing chemistry with, is not on this team? It's impossible to say, but I would have to imagine it's less likely he would've come here.

It is true that Gomez will never live up to his contract, and yes it does eat a lot of cap space, but I think what we acquired with him accounts for more than what we lost in cap space.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Right. I like how you ignored all the real arguments. I was just getting back at you for calling other people childish.
Getting back at me because I said $8M and not $7.3M ? Are you serious ?

Old
08-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:
Getting back at me because I said $8M and not $7.3M ? Are you serious ?
This is your only argument? Are you serious?

You're a funny guy.

Old
08-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
This is your only argument? Are you serious?

You're a funny guy.
I've said 2 times already how I think about it.

It's not that we will ever agree. You said how you think about it and I said how I think about it. I'm not going to change my opinion with arguments like that he's so valuable for your team. That's what I read way too often already. Hanzus means so much for the Kings also, still has a cap hit of $4M. Gomez should not have a $7.3M cap hit, let alone that a team should waste any assets for that. Just deal with it. If you dont like it, fine, just say what you think and you did. Just dont add anything childish.

Move on.

Old
08-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:
I've said 2 times already how I think about it.

It's not that we will ever agree. You said how you think about it and I said how I think about it. I'm not going to change my opinion with arguments like that he meant so much for your team. That's what I read way too often already. Gomez should not have a $7.3M cap hit and no team should waste any assets for that either.
That answer would have been fine. At least it tells me that you won't change your opinion based on any argument so it's pointless to continue this discussion further and waste more of my time. It kind of annoyed me that I spent all that time writing up my argument only for you to pick out the one sentence of the entire post that wasn't serious and to make a big deal over that.

EDIT: But I do agree on that last part. Back to Eklund!

Old
08-29-2010, 05:04 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I'll take Gomez over Drury any day, Drury cap hit is 7M+, enough said!!

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
That answer would have been fine. At least it tells me that you won't change your opinion based on any argument so it's pointless to continue this discussion further and waste more of my time. It kind of annoyed me that I spent all that time writing up my argument only for you to pick out the one sentence of the entire post that wasn't serious and to make a big deal over that.
Well fair enough.

I read that particular post and thought we had to agree to disagree. I just quoted that 1st sentence. That's all.

Old
08-29-2010, 05:44 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
[/b]

Haven't Habs management already succeeded in proving themselves as incompetent (ie: Gomez, Halak, Bob Gainey and all his brilliant decisions... etc etc et)???
If making it to the semi-finals is incompetent then i will incompetency any day. Bottom line is that the Gomez signing panned out for the Habs last season. Making it to the semi-finals with your best player (Markov) injured was an accomplishment.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Eklund managed to be so vague that no one can agree on what's leaving or coming to Montreal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcooke View Post
Mission Accomplished
More like Modus Operandi.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:58 PM
oilers84

to mtl
cogs
jdd or habby
jfj
3rd next year

to edm
price

edm gets a young goalie

mtl gets a good two way player an either #1 vet goalie or a good back up to ramo and a solid 3rd or 4th line hitter

oilers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
If Price were being shopped wouldn't a legitimate source have informed a legitimate journalist at one of Quebec's media outlets?

As opposed to Ecklund's information, which comes from his dog or from reading his stool like tea leaves.
If there were any legitimate journalists in Quebec media outlets, that might be the case.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 10:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by girouxrichards View Post
http://www.hocuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Ru...-Price/1/29942

Its Eklund so take it for what its worth.
Thanks for helping Eklund generate website hits...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 06:49 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers84 View Post
to mtl
cogs
jdd or habby
jfj
3rd next year

to edm
price

edm gets a young goalie

mtl gets a good two way player an either #1 vet goalie or a good back up to ramo and a solid 3rd or 4th line hitter

Habs do not need or want any more smurfs (Cogs). Habs do not want a token french player (JFJ). Habs do not want a borderline AHL goaltender (JDD). The 3rd round pick is about the only attractive part of that offer. So if we did that trade we would be in the market for another Carey Price.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:25 AM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers84 View Post
to mtl
cogs
jdd or habby
jfj
3rd next year

to edm
price

edm gets a young goalie

pretty tough for a guy to goaltend from jail

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote