HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rolston to LA

Old
08-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Who exactly is the high end LW prospect the OT is offering ?????????/
Probably Tedenby. I don't know how interested the Kings would be in Vasyunov.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:10 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wheeled Winger View Post
On the other hand, in a discussion where we're looking at things from a managerial perspective, you have to sweep emotion aside. The trade forum is a place for (hopefully) rational discussion. Emotion does matter to some extent where if someone suggested, say, Foote to the Red Wings, or Bertuzzi to Colorado, where there's clearly a large emotional reason not to do so from the team's perspective.

I applaud your enthusiasm regardless.
Well thank you.

From a managerial perspective, I still wouldn't do it if it were Tedenby coming with Rolston for the reasons others like funky and ZIggy have already outlined. If you send a proven top 6 LW with Rolston, I would be more open to it from an objective standpoint. But while filching a nice prospect for nothing but taking on a crappy contract can work in some scenarios, the timing for that is wrong for LA. It would have made sense two years ago, but not today.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Well thank you.

From a managerial perspective, I still wouldn't do it if it were Tedenby coming with Rolston for the reasons others like funky and ZIggy have already outlined. If you send a proven top 6 LW with Rolston, I would be more open to it from an objective standpoint. But while filching a nice prospect for nothing but taking on a crappy contract can work in some scenarios, the timing for that is wrong for LA. It would have made sense two years ago, but not today.
So we disagree on the timing, which is understandable. I think it works out decently for more detailed reasons I outlined earlier in the thread, but I can also see why LA would be excited for the upcoming FA next year. My personal opinion is that they have a young enough of a core and enough of a need for talent at left wing that they can deal with something of a bland year next year for both an improvement this year and a solid young LW prospect for the year after (as well as the big free agency they'd have that year).

LA, in my opinion, has a better chance for a deep playoff run this year (Handzus, Poni, Williams UFA next year as well as Mitchell question marks), and have the cap space to acquire Rolston to bolster that if there's nothing further in free agency that interests them, so an unexciting year next year may be worth it next year for a better year both this year and the one after. I can certainly see why an LA fan would prefer otherwise (Detroit just went through one of said transitional years last year).

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
But Rolston is the proven top 6 LW in the deal. He might be overpaid, but he's still fairly productive.

The only other players on the Devils that would fit that bill are Parise and Elias, and neither of them are going anywhere, for obvious reasons.

That's also a prohibitively steep salary hit for the Kings, and the Devils wouldn't want to pay that much to facilitate a salary dump. I don't think that is a possible deal.

Old
08-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Ronk

The upgrade here isn't worth the risks of being unable to get what LA wants in next years FA pool (if anything). Rolston's upgrade over anyone on the lineup currently is so marginal that it makes the addition of a prospect 2+ years away moot in that this team is trying to win now. This goes against everything they have been trying to do the last few years and I cant see that changing now for a player of little impact and a prospect. If they are going to eat up cap space, better to do it for a significant upgrade at a current position of weakness IE 1st line wing OR C. Otherwise stand pat.

No thank you from LA's perspective... as every other LA fan has noted.

Ronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:28 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
But Rolston is the proven top 6 LW in the deal. He might be overpaid, but he's still fairly productive.

The only other players on the Devils that would fit that bill are Parise and Elias, and neither of them are going anywhere, for obvious reasons.

That's also a prohibitively steep salary hit for the Kings, and the Devils wouldn't want to pay that much to facilitate a salary dump. I don't think that is a possible deal.
Hes 37 and his stats have gone down the last 4 years. Chances are his productive days are behind him

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Hes 37 and his stats have gone down the last 4 years. Chances are his productive days are behind him
I can't speak for his days in Minnesota. But there are a few reasons for his low stats in Jersey. He was injured early in the 08-09 season, and then misused by Sutter when he returned. He has barely gotten top 6 minutes due to the Devils' logjam at LW (Elias, Parise, and now Kovalchuk are all ahead of him on the depth chart). And he has never had a proper playmaking centre like he did in Minnesota (Bouchard). He has played with Zubrus (not a playmaker), Niedermayer (useless), Madden (defensive centre), and Elias (not actually a centre) as his centres the last two seasons.

But I understand the hesitation because of his age and declining production. All I can say is he still scores 20 goals a season, even if he can no longer get assists to save his life.

Old
08-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Quote:
I can't speak for his days in Minnesota. But there are a few reasons for his low stats in Jersey. He was injured early in the 08-09 season, and then misused by Sutter when he returned. He has barely gotten top 6 minutes due to the Devils' logjam at LW (Elias, Parise, and now Kovalchuk are all ahead of him on the depth chart). And he has never had a proper playmaking centre like he did in Minnesota (Bouchard). He has played with Zubrus (not a playmaker), Niedermayer (useless), Madden (defensive centre), and Elias (not actually a centre) as his centres the last two seasons.

But I understand the hesitation because of his age and declining production. All I can say is he still scores 20 goals a season, even if he can no longer get assists to save his life.
Pretty much this. He's still competent defensively and useful on the PK, too.

Old
08-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
I'm just debating here for the sake of discussion. In terms of a counter proposal I've asked what sort of incentive NJ would have to send to make Rolston worth LA's time in your eyes (regardless of whether or not that incentive seems realistic to NJ). I'm a third party poster in this, as are some others in this thread who have suggested that it could make sense for LA with enough incentive. Perhaps you have a suggestion to offer in that regard?

Tedenby would make the most sense.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/mattias_tedenby

A LW prospect that, if you go by HF's ratings, is about equal in potential to Hickey and Voynov. Dynamic offensive winger that brings both good goalscoring and playmaking, finalist for Elitserien rookie of the year last season. His skillset is best for a top 6 role, and he has potential to be a decent first line winger or at least a good 2nd line wing. He's probably ready for NHL playing time now or next year on a team that can fit him.
k , so if your goin to include Tedenby, umm either they have to give something or no Deal

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan7545 View Post
k , so if your goin to include Tedenby, umm either they have to give something or no Deal
My thoughts were just a moderate defensive prospect the Kings may never get to use behind their core, like Martinez, or a low pick. You guys don't really need Tedenby if you have Parise and Kovalchuk, but they need him if they're gonna take on Rolston for 2 years.

Old
08-29-2010, 06:39 PM
BackOnTopic

i honestly don't think we make good trading partners, probably due mostly to what JDM said, in that the timing is about 2 years late. no offense to NJD's prospect pool, but tedenby is a project that is 2 or 3 years away, if he's going to even pan out at all, and they really don't have any offensive prospects that are much better.

while we are not completely out of our rebuild, i think that we are (hopefully) looking towards the playoffs every year now, and as such, i wouldn't want the add-on to be a super young prospect unless he's close to a sure thing or can help right away. plus, any roster players we may want, nj probably doesn't want to part with.

rolston is, at best, a defensive minded winger now, who would naturally be slotted in the third line. with him and zeus, that would be a third line sucking up about $10 million of our cap. even if zeus signs for a discount next year, that would be a significant price to pay, considering our young rfa's will want a raise at that point. sure, we may be able to squeeze him in, but then you'll also need to factor rolston's albatross contract into negotiations with the young guys, as the logical argument by any agent will then be "that's all you're offering us when you justified paying a 12 goal scorer $5 mil?"

while you bring up some valid points, taking on a rolston contract is like taking on a $3 or $4 million cap penalty for the next two years. at this point, rolston can't even justify half that cap hit (at least based on market value of ufa forwards so far this year) why not just sign a stempniak for $2 mil or so and call it a day? and at the same time not helping bail the devils out for no discernible reason?

BackOnTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 07:56 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I'm just debating here for the sake of discussion. In terms of a counter proposal I've asked what sort of incentive NJ would have to send to make Rolston worth LA's time in your eyes (regardless of whether or not that incentive seems realistic to NJ). I'm a third party poster in this, as are some others in this thread who have suggested that it could make sense for LA with enough incentive. Perhaps you have a suggestion to offer in that regard?
A number of us have, in the sense we have said something which will help us out greatly now (on top of any contributions Rolston may bring). I for one said Clarkson.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
My thoughts were just a moderate defensive prospect the Kings may never get to use behind their core, like Martinez, or a low pick. You guys don't really need Tedenby if you have Parise and Kovalchuk, but they need him if they're gonna take on Rolston for 2 years.
oh, i agree if were losing Rolston, all i would want is a Def Prospect in return

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 08:01 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I think this is another point of contention in this thread. A few years ago, Rolston might be considered a top 6 winger, but now, after the past two seasons and the fact his prodction has declined every year for I think four straight years now, he's not considered by everyone to be that top six guy.

Perhaps in "proven" isn't the proper word. Rather, maybe LA fans should state they want a "current" top 6 winger?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 08:06 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Lombardi will be looking to get younger, not older up front.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 08:13 PM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Lombardi will be looking to get younger, not older up front.
ya i just can't see how Rolston would fit in LA for 2 years

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 08:22 PM
MountainGoat

vCash:
Rolston sucks, I've never seen a devil player float around more then him, he's lazy, old, slow and he makes 5M a year.

Lou ****ed up signing him and now we have to deal with the consequences, he's not going anywhere

Old
08-29-2010, 08:47 PM
MartinVanBuren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
Rolston sucks, I've never seen a devil player float around more then him, he's lazy, old, slow and he makes 5M a year.

Lou ****ed up signing him and now we have to deal with the consequences, he's not going anywhere
Someone has the right idea.

MartinVanBuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 08:51 PM
TyBOZAK*

Finger for Rolston and a pick is better.

TyBOZAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:48 PM
funky

if L.A wants something from NJ it will be Parise or Zajac. No other player at this time on that roster fits what we need at this time and on our NHL roster.

Prior to signing Mitchell I would have had an interest in Salvador, but that need has been filled.

We have no need for Rolston, it has been emphasized by both Devil and Kings fans alike. I propose if you need to drop salary and want to involve the Kings, make a proposal that involve one of Parise or Zajac, if not, we really have nothing left to talk about!

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
I disagree here..................

if we talk about Tendeby as an also return i would consider it.
That guys is the real deal and by far the best prospect the Devils have.

If we trade Stoll, Rolston is just 2 mill more cap space.
We can put him on the 4th line as veteran presence. That even eliminate that Stoll dilemma.
Actually this would be exactly what we need. Smyth and Brown would mentor Schenn
and Williams and Kopitar would mentor Tendeby.........

Tendeby - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Schenn/Richardson - Brown
Ponika - Handzus - Simmonds
Rolston - Schenn/Richardson - Westgarth

that isn't looking to shabby for me.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post

Whoa whoa whoa, Rolston is NOT slow. His laziness just makes him look that way.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 11:08 PM
no name

Quote:
He might be overpaid, but he's still fairly productive.

"Overpaid............. Fairly productive".

Sorry, but that's a pass.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Martyros

We already have our overpaid, old top 6 winger....He's Smyth...and Lombardi doesn't need two of those players.Exactly what hole does he fill? the main hole that we have is a TOP LINE WINGER. We've got plenty of forwards that can play on the 2nd line.....and they're all much younger. You'll get much better luck trading him next year due to his expiring contract. MANY teams are up against the cap and teams that are barely hanging onto to the floor have an internal budget.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:53 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I didn't go threw this thread... but one would assume that after losing out on the IK sweepstakes, proposing Rolston for a prospect only adds insult to injury.

Sorry Kings fans, the OP isn't a Devils fans.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote